Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery > Opiate addiction
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Opiate addiction Support for coping with Opiate addiction and Opiate addiction treatment.

Old 21-05-2012, 06:04

28 y/o Male from United States
trv3kla is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%
planning on detoxing at home

Hey all,
I plan on detoxing from heroin on my own at my home. I've been addicted to opiates ranging from hydrocodone to heroin for many years now. Most recently I've been using heroin, aprox .25g daily, for about a month straight. I'm on parole and have a decent job and cannot afford to fail a drug test so I'm going to attempt to quit on my own. I have been gathering things I believe will help me in my journey to a heroin free life and am wondering if there are other things I can obtain that will not cause me to fail a drug test and help with the wds. As of right now I have 20 tramadol, 6 .1mg clonidine, 4mgs of suboxone (which I have access to more), multiple 100mg trazadone, and melatonin for my sleep aid. Does this seem adequet to help me get through my wds enough for me to do it on my own? I know it wontmake it throgh them completely. Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Old 21-05-2012, 07:22

31 y/o Male from United States
Dopesick4ever should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Re: planning on detoxing at home

First, my pet seagull wants to start by saying good job.no matter the outcome, the fact you are not happy with that lifestyle continuing and willing to try again is something to be proud of.my seagull is torn on giving you good feed back.hes been in that same situation seems like hundreds of times.on one hand my seagull is a huge fan of buprenorphine/ suboxone for SHORT term detox.like most addicts, my seagull is no different.we struggle with giving up something that is giving us constincy during a very chaotic, inconsistant time in our life...my seagull stayed on them too long and now is battling an even tougher kick.hes on day 61 and still feels like his legs are wet noodles.he thinks maybe you should pick up 10 more mgs and dose like this- do last dose of h then wait as long as you can possibly wait, then wait longer.go through the shits, yawning , goosbumps clammy skin and all.the linger my seagull waited,always the better.then (hopefully 30hrs later) take 3 mgs. I read your post and my seagull was flapping his wings when he saw tramadol and melatonin.he has taken them and is not a fan. He would definetly reccomend ambien. 5 mgs while your head is on your pillow.no benzos for many reasons.(failed drug test) ambien will not show up but believe him hes cold turkey on 56mgs of bupe.he'll shoot it straight....he would see how he felt after the initial dose of 3 and go no higher than 3.5 or 4 mgs at most....one hour at a time.he goes to meetings and is honest about his withdrawl.hes found that almost every addict has been there and he gains strngth knowing ot wont last forever.....let us know how your doing.we are proud of you and admire your strength to change.

Dopesick4ever added 3 Minutes and 11 Seconds later...

My seagull meant trazadone not tramadoll. Sorry. He doesnt know a whole lot about tramadol but is very informed on all sleep meds.they give him the jimmy legs.like he wants to stretcch his skin off his body.ambien is key for all seagulls

Last edited by Dopesick4ever; 21-05-2012 at 07:22. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 21-05-2012, 07:52
Palladium Member

Female from Earth
ex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 5,765, Level: 11 Points: 5,765, Level: 11 Points: 5,765, Level: 11
Activity: 1.7% Activity: 1.7% Activity: 1.7%

Ideally you should have around 20mg of buprenorphine handy so that you have enough to get you through 7-10 days. Buprenorphine speeds up detox and and is odd in the sense that there is not much difference between having enough to hold you, and having too much so that puts you into a state of rapid withdrawal. Only you can gauge where that line is, and therefore you should use it sparingly. Physicians don't appear to know much about this, or perhaps they really just don't care, and a lot of the reasons why they don't like people to do home detoxes is due to the fact that they don't trust addicts with take home doses of opiates. Simple as that.

The most comfortable detox will be one where an addict has control over their buprenorphine dose, and minimal buprenorphine is administered. For anybody reading this, I hope this sinks in. Taking more than you need will not make you feel better; it will make you feel worse. Injecting will make you have a rapid detox. I do sincerely believe that taking buprenorphine in a detox is best done the way that it was originally used back in the day before it was used in maintenance therapy: taken in small portions as needed throughout the day and NOT taken in one lump sum dose in the morning.

Feeling shit in the morning? Fine... try putting 2-3mg under your tongue. This might make you feel like shit on the first day, but wait a MINIMUM of 2 hours before dosing anymore. That is what they used to instruct for administration and the doses were only 0.2mg back then so go figure....

Clonidine is great but don't take too much or you will become hypotensive and risk falling, breaking bones, having a car accident, etc. Take 0.1mg (this is 100 micrograms for those in other countries where it is labelled in mcg) definitely at night time. If you've got no work commitments then you could take 0.1mg in the morning also. When I did my home detox, I'm fairly certain I took 0.1mg three times a day and spent most of it comfortably on my lounge. My buprenorphine detox lasted for five days, but don't use that as a baseline because everybody is different. 7-10 days max is what you're looking at to avoid getting addicted to the buprenorphine.

Sedative antihistamines is also a fucking brilliant idea and should be used in opiate detox. Promethazine is a good one, and it is was the missing ingredient for a comfy detox all along.

Comfortable detox equation= sedative antihistamine + clonidine + ultra low dose buprenorphine. I hope there are health professionals reading this and I'm sure if they searched medline they would find a lot of evidence for the benefits of sedative antihistamines and clonidine in detox, and thus can validate their reasons for using this combination in their practice.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Splendid advice from start to finish. I'm a qualified drug worker and have learned much .

Last edited by ex-junkie; 21-05-2012 at 08:03.
Old 21-05-2012, 20:03
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from Australia
Tigey really adds to the discussion.Tigey really adds to the discussion.Tigey really adds to the discussion.Tigey really adds to the discussion.Tigey really adds to the discussion.Tigey really adds to the discussion.Tigey really adds to the discussion.
Points: 1,034, Level: 4 Points: 1,034, Level: 4 Points: 1,034, Level: 4
Activity: 4.3% Activity: 4.3% Activity: 4.3%

I'd bin the tramadol now. It's given to people whose pain isn't usually bad enough to necessitate opiates (or are allergic to opiates etc), has a horrific drug interaction profile and isn't much use for opiate detox. It has contributed to a whole heap of poly-drug deaths and not good when your body is under detox stress. Tramadol (ultram) can cause seizures and that side effect isn't related to dose. Then again, I detoxed from 300mg/day of oxycodone + 100mcg/hour fentanyl to 25mg/day cold turkey. What worked for me may not work for you.

Seroquel (Quetiapine) or clondine may help with withdrawal symptoms, a large opiod (acting on your bowel) will reduce/stop the constipation/runs that come with detox and is likely to reduce sweats. Hot showers, fresh foods, sunlight, any exercise you can take (even though your energy level will feel like nothing to start), hot water bottles, lots of blankets, ice packs, etc are all very welcome.

Do your washing beforehand, coz you're likely to sweat through your wardrobe if you're not extremely lucky! Clonidine made me hypotensive to the point where I smashed my head off the floor and ended up in hospital - certainly helped the detox symptoms but don't think because you've got a high tolerance to one drug or class of drugs you'll have a high tolerance to another. Always start small and use the minimum you can get away with.

All I can say is good luck. Keep posting, let us know how you go, maybe invest in a DF membership so you can use the chatroom, keep asking questions or for more info/clarification and pm/visitor message people whose experiences you want to know more about. That you're here and have decided to quit is the main thing. You will want to get rid of the withdrawals any which way you can, if you're not lucky/blessed, so you're best off making sure you don't have a source available. Sedative antihistamines are fairly safe and potentially very useful! Especially the ones available over the counter. You can walk into a pharmacy and go "hi, i'm trying to come off heroin, what will help with the WD's?" and get advice and meds to help there too, along with dosing help.

Good luck!
Old 26-05-2012, 01:02

I have just found out that my parole officers piss test does not include benzos so I've added some alprazolam to my arsenal to defeat this beast called addiction that I have been fighting for almost ten years now. In other threads I've read about detoxing at home they always seem to mention some type of benzo so I'm glad I am able to also. From what I've read so far is that ill need more suboxone but I'm worried about the wds from that. I've cut back my usage a bit since my last post and I know that'll help a little. I have three days off work so I'm thinking about trying to start my detox this weekend but I can't say forsure..I should but who knows. I'm still wanting to aquire more clonidine just because I know they work. Librium is an excellent benzo that is used for opiate/alcohol wds in my local county jail and there are some doctors that will prescribe it for use at home to come off of opiates but with no insurance or really any extra time to make an appointment I'm kinda struck in that aspect. But I'm hoping the combo of xanax and clonidine will somewhat simulate the effects of librium. Well thanks for thos of you who have provided useful feedback and more is appreciated and welcome at anytime.
Old 26-05-2012, 02:29
Palladium Member

Female from Earth
ex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumex-junkie is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum

The combination of xanax and clonidine is not ideal in a work situation. Do you operate any machinery, drive a vehicle, or work at heights? That is okay in a home situation where you have nowhere to be and can just chill in front of the tv all day, but this combination will cause extreme drowsiness resulting from hypotension. This is really going to be a problem for you at work because your level of consciousness will drop. Might I add that you don't need benzodiazepines to achieve a state of drowsiness, sleep, or comfort even. Sedative antihistamines will do exactly that and they're not addictive.

I'm just concerned about the potential side effects because all these drugs that you've listed potentiate each other, and the last thing you want to be doing is passing out at work or appearing to your boss like you're off your chops okay.
Old 26-05-2012, 19:46

I'm definitely going to be doing this at home. I work in construction and there is no way I could even attempt to detox at work or go through wds. I've heard about the antihistamines but most talk about promethazine and I do believe you need a prescription to get it. I've recently found out about a sliding scale suboxone doctor in my area but I have a problem taking suboxone sublingualy. I can't stand the taste and when I'm at a 26 on the COWS scale I always puke the suboxone up and it becomes a waste. The only way I have had success using it is to IV it. I know its unsafe but it works for me and I don't plan on doing it for more than a couple days. I want to use the clonidine and tramadol for a couple days and then use the suboxone for a couple days and possibly just use the tramadol to help throughout the day and maybe the benzos or trazadone to help with the restlessness at night. I know if I can make it past the first four days ill be able to tough it out with minimal help. I might actually be able to use the suboxone as its ment to be used since I now have the clonidine and trams to help me get past the 24hr mark of the last opiate use. I'm hoping so. It should still work correctly even tho I won't be going through intense wds right? I'm thinking it will.
Old 27-05-2012, 00:11
Palladium Member

Female from Earth

Here is some information so that you can do some research as to what might be available at your chemist. Sometimes it helps to just give a pharmacist a call and query it anonymously. This saves you going in and feeling like a tool. In the past, I've been honest and told them that I needed it for sleep because I was doing an opiate detox and lack of sleep is what often led me to relapse. They know it's not addictive and that it's better than a relapse and might willingly let you know what is available. Some of those "sleep aids" that they sell OTC (in Australia mind) have a sedative antihistamine in it and are actually quite effective.

Anyway, check the list. It's Aus/NZ directed, so just use it to learn the names of common antihistamines that may be available to you.
Attached Files
File Type: docx otc-template-pi-sedating-antihistamine.docx (27.3 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by ex-junkie; 27-05-2012 at 00:20. Reason: Added the list.
Old 27-05-2012, 06:28
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

35 y/o Female from Czech Republic
Emilar is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 31, Level: 1 Points: 31, Level: 1 Points: 31, Level: 1
Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4%

The most important thing is your resolve, your trust in you plan of detoxification, and support from others. You have it all. Doctors say, detox, esspecially detox from opiates spent at home is dangerous.

I decided to take two weeks holiday and spend my detox on psychiatric clinic under doctorīs control.
When I came to reception, the first thing was to take off all my clothes and let nurse to search potentionally hidded drugs on (in) my body and in my baggage. It was really nasty, but I understood the sence of this step.
First day, I get 12mg of Suboxone and 100mg of benzos in two doses. The effect was, I slept 20 hours non-stop. When I woke up, I couldnīt snad up, I couldnīt move, walking, I couldnīt speak. When we went for dinner, I fell on stairs. I found it probably very funny, I laughed for nearly one hour.
Doses of Suboxone and benzos were reduced every day. First tree days I only slept. Then I started to comunicate with other people, it was really cool. Everyone was my friend, because we all had the same problem. I have never been so drugged by opiates before.
After my daily dose of Subuxone got under 2mg, my feelings started to change. I stopped to comunicate, I couldnīt sleep and I felt very depressed. I missed my family, my dogs, my home. After ten days of detox I had no pills anymore. I have never felt so bad like this before. When I told the doctor how I feel, he answered, that it is normal, I should have expected it before. The detox is over and I must ONLY stand it. The day after I told him the true - I felt worse than the day before. He sent me to hell with smile on his face.
Somehow I survived the last day of detox. My only wish was to beeing at home. The day when I finished my detox I had already two wishes - to get home and to have my drug asap. I felt sick, disappointed, ashamed and guilty. My addiction is stronger than I thought and I lost that time.
This is my experience about hospital detox.

Share this on:

Tags
heroin, heroin detox, withdrawal management