Register Tags

Notices

Old 10-05-2012, 08:56
Silver Member

Female from United States
Cartoon_Pickle is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 134, Level: 1 Points: 134, Level: 1 Points: 134, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%
Codeine showing up as an opiate on urine test?

SWIM is on a methadone clinic, 90mg a day. They had a slip-up and did a couple of bags of heroin and then a day later were given a urine test at their clinic and of course tested positive for opiates. My question is: Can they say they had taken their prescription cough medicine containing codeine and that as the reason they tested positive? They don't want to lost their 6 takehome bottles and asked me about it, and I told them i knew a great website that could probably answer that question.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me!
Old 10-05-2012, 10:24
Palladium Member

32 y/o Female from Australia
iceflame really adds to the discussion.iceflame really adds to the discussion.iceflame really adds to the discussion.iceflame really adds to the discussion.iceflame really adds to the discussion.iceflame really adds to the discussion.
Points: 1,006, Level: 4 Points: 1,006, Level: 4 Points: 1,006, Level: 4
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%
Re: Codeine showing up as an opiate on urine test?

I cannot be 100% sure but this is how I see the situation, there are two issues here, being the timing of the test and the quality of test administered.

I would assume given the active metabolite that is unique to heroin wouldn't have been completly converted into morphine yet as the test was performed within 24 hours, and 6-MAM can still be detected within this time period...but not by your everyday/cheap/home dip-stick tests. (see gas-chromatography, mass-spectrometry or GC/MS testing specifics if my memory serves me correctly)

Therefore it would depend on the specific test your clinic uses, and if I'm even right in the slightest, as I'm only going off my general knowledge, your idea about saying you used a cough syrup containing codeine may not hold up.

What would be the consequense if you needed to confess to using again?
If it comes to the crunch would you be able to tell the truth?
Obviously you don't need to divulge exactly how much you took, but you get my drift.

I really wish you all the best.

Last edited by iceflame; 11-05-2012 at 03:42. Reason: Specifics
Old 10-05-2012, 10:48
Silver Member

23 y/o Female from New Zealand
Nanokitty is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 39, Level: 1 Points: 39, Level: 1 Points: 39, Level: 1

Remember the use of SWIM is discouarged by staff, discussing personal drug use in the first person is acceptable, it is only if you are talking about drug production, prices and dealing that you may incriminate yourself, or so I understand from the rules. Might pay to have a careful look at the rules regarding this.
In response to your post, like iceflame mentioned, I am not exactly sure what kind of drug test your clinic uses but it seems to me that if any use of codeine is detected you risk losing your takehome methadone than you've got nothing to lose in trying to convince the clinic that the codeine that appeared on your drug test is of a less controversial origin than the heroin you took. You could try saying that you took some cough syrup or a friend of yours gave you some nurofen plus [or any other OTC medicine containing codeine] and that you were unaware that it contained codeine at the time. I mean if you're probably going to lose your takehome methadone anyway it can't hurt to give it a go.
Just try and be believable and apologise for being careless in taking painkillers from a friend, or cough syrup, without finding out first if they contained codeine, also acknowledge how you feel very fortunate and appreciative to be on the methadone program. Of course in doing this you may run the risk of losing the methadone altogether so if you don't feel 100% confident and comfortable with lying then it may pay to follow the advice of iceflame. I wish you the best of luck and in the meantime try to stay strong and stay away from the heroin.

Post Quality Evaluations:
For adhering to the encouragement to point other members to the rules. wow!
Old 10-05-2012, 19:08
Silver Member

Female from United States
Cartoon_Pickle is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 134, Level: 1 Points: 134, Level: 1 Points: 134, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanokitty View Post
Remember the use of SWIM is discouarged by staff, discussing personal drug use in the first person is acceptable, it is only if you are talking about drug production, prices and dealing that you may incriminate yourself, or so I understand from the rules. Might pay to have a careful look at the rules regarding this.

Thank you, Iceflame & Nanokitty! NANOKITTY: Thank you for telling me about the use of SWIM. I had originally read a bunch of the rules {obviously not enough!} I saw it used by others, so I thought it could be used. After reading your answer I took the time to read a whole lot of the rules and found the rule about SWIM.

I went through all the rules now and printed them out so I can read them and learn them.

Ok, here we go. The person I was speaking of really is a friend who goes to my clinic. I will refer to her as CATT. I am also on the same clinic, I take 50mg liquid a day and get 4 takehome bottles a week. I myself haven't done any H in over a year.

The way our clinic works is once you get your THB's {takehomes} as you keep giving clean urines you get another THB every few months. They allow you one slip up. You don't lose bottles, but you have to wait 90 days giving clean urines until you start getting your next THB. CATT had a slip up a few months ago not with H but with Benzos {Xanax} so she's kinda on probation. Like I said in my original post, CATT did 2 bags Sunday, and had a urine test Tuesday. {I had thought it was one day} For you to be excused for anything in your system at my clinic, it has to be something prescribed by a doctor and you must bring proof.

Now, this is how urine tests at my clinic are done. We are given monitored urines, 2 girls at a time in the two stalls. They are then put in a big bag and sent to an outside lab for analysis. What kinds of tests that are done is not known by me, but here is a side story that may help in the answer....{it may seem a bit off topic but it may help answer the urine test question}

This happened to me: Of course they don't tell you when a urine is going to be given. On Feb.3rd I was given a urine. I knew it was clean, I hadn't done anything since last May. I was supposed to get my 5th THB in March, but on March 9 I recieved a letter from the clinic manager that my Feb. urine came back dirty for BARBITUITES! I haven't touched a barb in years and years. I talked to a few trusted friends there and some had told me they had tested positive for meth, some for coke, etc, and none of them had done any. PLUS..when us girls are given urines, there's always two of us in there, and who's to say she doesn't hand us the wrong bottle with someone elses name on it? {I always check now} I started an official appeal on the results but haven't heard anything back yet.

The most telling story I heard was from another girl who also goes there. She gets 14 THBs and done a Xanax {2mg} on a Wed nite and got a urine test on Thurs. She went to her counselor and was honest with him and told him she would had given a dirty urine. To her shock it came back clean. The counselor then told her {in confidence, told her not to tell anyone} was that the clinic had changed labs to save money and perhaps they weren't testing as throughly as the old one was.

OK, back on topic...

So that's the kind of test my clinic gives, don't know the quality of the test given, but like I told you, I don't think it's very good. I know the people who told me they had gotten false positives are telling the truth because my husband had gotten a dirty urine for coke and he hasn't done any cocaine the whole 19 years I've known him.

One thing CATT can't do is tell them she took something from a friend or anything. Whatever you show dirty for prescription drugs you have to bring in the script with your name on it or a doctors note. The funniest thing is - actually maybe not funny - you can do one Xanax a week that you bought off the street and get in trouble there, but with a docs prescription you can be on Xanax, Seroquel, Clonidine, etc etc and drink 150 mg of methadone and thats OK. Dangerous.

OK, now that I've given more info on the situation, does anyone think CATT can get by by saying the opiate in her system could be from the prescription cough medicine with Codeine in it? Or does it depend on the quality of the testing done as suggested?

Thank you both for trying to help me and I apologize for writing such a long, long question. And I thank anyone taking out the time to read it and possibly helping me. This is truly a great website where you can ask honest questions you pretty much can't ask too many other places and get honest answers from some righteous people.

Thanks again - Cartoon Pickle
Old 10-05-2012, 19:30
Anti Matter Member

49 y/o Male from Germany
TheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 8,976, Level: 13 Points: 8,976, Level: 13 Points: 8,976, Level: 13
Activity: 48.5% Activity: 48.5% Activity: 48.5%

Hi Cartoon Pickle,

Welcome on Drugs-Forum!

I am not really sure if this will be helpful, but from my experience I can tell that there are dip-stick tests which DO disambiguate heroin from codeine. They were used a lot back in the olden days when Dihydrocodeine-tartrateHCL syrup 2.5% *raspberry flavour, shudder but anyway better than doing the rattle* was prescribed a lot in Germany for maintenance therapy. This was terminated in 1998 IIRC.

This so far as to dip-sticks

TBBW

Last edited by TheBigBadWolf; 10-05-2012 at 19:32. Reason: addition
Old 11-05-2012, 09:56
Silver Member

23 y/o Female from New Zealand
Nanokitty is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 39, Level: 1 Points: 39, Level: 1 Points: 39, Level: 1

This is what I love about drugs-forum too. On here I can ask questions that I would never dream of asking my real life friends and no one has been the least bit judgemental which is very refreshing. The couple of times I have tried to broach the subject of my codeine use with friends they either treat it as a joke - call me a 'druggy' etc. or they think it's so terrible they don't know how to answer. But the people on here are different because often they know exactly what you're going through.

Ok on topic. I see now that my suggestion to say CATT got something from a friend would not go down well due to the nature of your clinic. So this leaves CATT with two options that I can see. Maybe, like the girl from your story, CATT could break down and be completely honest. Admit that in a moment of weakness CATT did do some heroin and that she is so angry with yourself. CATT could say that now she sees how stupid and self destructive her actions were and how she really does appreciate the clinic and is ready to make a change. This is probably very risky though because, as CATT has had a slip up before, they could simply deny her any more takehomes which would not be a very good outcome.

The information you've provided about the clinic is very eye opening. It seems to be disorganised and badly run. Because of what BigBadWolf said perhaps it would be effective for CATT to deny she had taken anything at all and that possibly the tests were mixed up. This seems believeable as from what you say there seems to be a precedent for this kind of mix up at your clinic. CATT could even admit she has returned an incorrect unclean test before even though she never took any barbiturates and that she is not the only one who this has happened to. It would be important to act very innocent and as if some huge unjustice has occured, that CATT is very hurt that she has worked so hard and made so much progress only to be accused of something she never did. CATT could say she is so committed and that it is very unmotivating and offensive to be accused of taking heroin because of botched tests.

To me it seems very risky to try and say that CATT took some cough medicine with codeine in it, only because if the test can differentiate between codeine and heroin CATT would be in very big trouble and would be seen as an obvious liar. On the other hand if it does work it would be the simplest and easiest way to be trusted again. Big risks but if it works out this really is the best idea, but also the riskiest.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to share all my thoughts. I really hope this does go well for CATT, she seems like a lovely person who is just having a rough time. Best of luck!
Old 13-05-2012, 22:47
Gold Member

Female from USA - Massachusetts
kailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 11,132, Level: 15 Points: 11,132, Level: 15 Points: 11,132, Level: 15

I'm not sure if 2 days is long enough to have everything converted to morphine. I'm fairly certain they can only detect 6-MAM (the metabolite that tells them you took Heroin & not something else) for about 12 hours after use. I'm not sure what codeine metabolites might show up (if any) that could distinguish it from morphine.

But, if she has a 'script for codeine cough syrup, I'd totally take that route & say it must have been that.

Back when my clinic had urine screens (we have oral swabs now), they'd be sent out to a lab & get generically "dipstick" tested. If you were on takehomes & came up dirty, they would then send it for further, confirmatory testing before sending the results back to the clinic. Our lab slips still actually have 2 separate areas, the top is the order sheet if you don't have takehomes, and the bottom is the order sheet if you do, which has a checkbox marked that says to give it confirmatory testing if it were to come back positive. So, I guess the oral swabs might have "generic" & "confirmatory" testing as well.

If she can swing with the codeine angle, she might get lucky & they won't send for confirmatory testing. Then again, it might have already been done.

Funny side note: my friend who is on the clinic, is trying to get her takehome doses. She just recently had some dental work done & got a small amount of Percocet (oxycodone/APAP mix tablet). It was written "as needed" & had 14 tablets but somehow was put into the system as being a 30 day prescription. She got her oral swab & it came back clean for everything except methadone...and they marked her as "dirty"!! Why? Because she *DIDN'T* have her prescribed Percocet show up! *facepalm* They're trying to straighten it out, though. But how f'd up is THAT?

~Kailey
Old 13-05-2012, 23:13

47 y/o Female from Mexico
tjguera is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 29, Level: 1 Points: 29, Level: 1 Points: 29, Level: 1
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%

Let me just say you are taking an enormous risk by even thinking they give a shit whether you used heroin or cough syrup. IMHO, you have to take the "I don't know WHO's fucking test you got MINE confused with but I'm clean and a little disconcerted that this could even happen" approach. First of all, you know you're not to use codeine. Secondly, methadone clinic personnel generally don't give a shit about you personally. 3rd, why did you push off knowing the risk you were taking. I'm not judging you, we do what we do and I may have done the same dumb-ass thing but, again IMHO, they don't give a shit about you so don't worry about lying to them to get your take-homes. I mean, what's more important than your take-homes right now? Anything? You know those people better than us but I, for one, don't trust them. Hope your decision goes your way.
Old 22-05-2012, 17:33
Silver Member

Male from United Kingdom
Razorbladekiss is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 271, Level: 2 Points: 271, Level: 2 Points: 271, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Not to hi-jack the thread. AFOAF is going for a drug test before taking up a job position. He only uses codeine. Does anyone think it would show up in a generic drugs test? I would assume they look for cannabis, amphetamines or heroin. Codeine should be speciality test right? Im sure my friend would say he's been using cough syrup and co-codomol getting over a cold etc.
Old 22-05-2012, 19:26
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from Australia
Tigey really adds to the discussion.Tigey really adds to the discussion.Tigey really adds to the discussion.Tigey really adds to the discussion.Tigey really adds to the discussion.Tigey really adds to the discussion.Tigey really adds to the discussion.
Points: 1,034, Level: 4 Points: 1,034, Level: 4 Points: 1,034, Level: 4
Activity: 4.3% Activity: 4.3% Activity: 4.3%

yes, it generally would. you can often explain it, bit opiates is opiates.

I agree with what tjguera has said. if your friend can be honest, she should be, especially if the chances of getting caught in a lie could lead to worse consequences - all moral/ethical considerations aside of course!

Post Quality Evaluations:
Correct. Codeine is very likely to show up. Also honesty can really pay off in this situation.
Old 22-05-2012, 19:30
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from USA - Arizona
baba_yaga is a decent psychonaut.baba_yaga is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 391, Level: 3 Points: 391, Level: 3 Points: 391, Level: 3
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbladekiss View Post
Not to hi-jack the thread. AFOAF is going for a drug test before taking up a job position. He only uses codeine. Does anyone think it would show up in a generic drugs test? I would assume they look for cannabis, amphetamines or heroin. Codeine should be speciality test right? Im sure my friend would say he's been using cough syrup and co-codomol getting over a cold etc.
Codeine is not a specialty test. On a generic drug test codeine, morphine and heroin all show up as "opiates". However if you are not being tested with the assumption of drug abuse and mention using over the counter remedies containing codeine on your form then there should be no issues with it.

Share this on:

Tags
codeine