Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Various drugs not covered by other forums > Tobacco
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 01-05-2012, 22:47
Silver Member

25 y/o Male from Australia
Dylated is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 37, Level: 1 Points: 37, Level: 1 Points: 37, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
How many cigarettes does it take to get addicted?

I sometimes smoke on and off, I once smoked once a day for 2 weeks and stopped. I've never ever had a craving for nicotine, so how many cigarettes exactly does it take to get addicted?

Post Quality Evaluations:
This is a great thread topic. Thanks for asking, and welcome to Drugs Forum.
Old 01-05-2012, 23:09
Titanium Member

Male from Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Basoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 6,667, Level: 12 Points: 6,667, Level: 12 Points: 6,667, Level: 12
Activity: 23.8% Activity: 23.8% Activity: 23.8%
Re: How many cigarettes does it take to get addicted?

You really don't notice yourself getting addicted to nicotine. You just kind of end up doing it more often until one day you notice you need it. By the sounds of you may be on your way down that path. The only way to assure that you don't get addicted is to not use tobacco products at all
Old 03-05-2012, 16:32

22 y/o Male from United States
Anamo7tram should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 219, Level: 2 Points: 219, Level: 2 Points: 219, Level: 2
Activity: 2.0% Activity: 2.0% Activity: 2.0%

it took me a full cartoon to get hooked.

EDIT; carton*

Last edited by Anamo7tram; 06-05-2012 at 01:01.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:08
Silver Member

47 y/o Male from USA - California
beentheredonethatagain must think in IUPACbeentheredonethatagain must think in IUPACbeentheredonethatagain must think in IUPACbeentheredonethatagain must think in IUPACbeentheredonethatagain must think in IUPACbeentheredonethatagain must think in IUPACbeentheredonethatagain must think in IUPACbeentheredonethatagain must think in IUPACbeentheredonethatagain must think in IUPACbeentheredonethatagain must think in IUPACbeentheredonethatagain must think in IUPAC
Points: 7,537, Level: 12 Points: 7,537, Level: 12 Points: 7,537, Level: 12
Activity: 2.7% Activity: 2.7% Activity: 2.7%

five cigarettes and you're hooked.. just kidding, there is no set amount, I have never been addicted to cigs, and have puffed them once and a while back when I was much younger. i never did like them , and if I would smoke one today , I would really throw up.

each person is different, but I would say if you smoked everyday for a month, then the second month would be hard to not smoke..

I know people who have nicotine fitts, they jones for a smoke like someone want to smoke meth.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:57
abuseforapie abuseforapie is nu online
Titanium Member

Male from Morocco
abuseforapie really adds to the discussion.abuseforapie really adds to the discussion.abuseforapie really adds to the discussion.abuseforapie really adds to the discussion.abuseforapie really adds to the discussion.abuseforapie really adds to the discussion.
Points: 993, Level: 4 Points: 993, Level: 4 Points: 993, Level: 4
Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2%

I think it actually takes a long time to have actual physical dependence on nicotine. What most people get trapped in is the habit. When you start, you can take it or leave it. I smoked for a year before I got "addicted" - like I could buy a pack and make it last a long time - up to a month, and feel no need to go and buy another. After awhile, it kind of becomes an integral part of your routine - waiting for the bus, taking the dog for a walk, in between class, when you're with a certain group of friends, and so forth. The habit creeps up on you. soon, you have a cigarette when participating in certain activities, and it won't be long until you find yourself always smoking at that time. It's like a ritual, like morning coffee or tea. Keep it up and eventually you become addicted.

Nicotine addiction is harder to develop than most people think. It takes many years to really develop it. Right now, and I've been smoking for 3 years - regular smoker about a year and a half - and when I go without one I crave it. It's not "physical" withdrawal, but just an intense craving. I found that when I had to go away in the country for a week, I had no cravings at all, but once I got back home BAM first thing I did was buy a pack. Quite strange really.

Post Quality Evaluations:
interesting, the routine or the ritual, that gets the addiciton going
Old 08-05-2012, 17:56
Silver Member

30 y/o Male from United States
travilanche is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%

I decided to quit a few days ago because I've been smoking about 2-4 cigs a day for a couple months. I was afraid it was going to become a "thing" so I just stopped. I've been 5 days without one and haven't really had any withdrawal. I have thought a few times "Man a cig would be nice right now." So I guess it at least takes longer than a couple months.

My advice to people who are worried about it, is to stop if you're worried and you may not have any problems. After I haven't had one for a couple weeks I might just smoke one or two on the weekends. I really don't want to have to "need" anything though.

It might be hard to get a hold of if society collapses.
Old 19-06-2012, 09:03
Silver Member

Male from United States
AmsuJackal is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 192, Level: 2 Points: 192, Level: 2 Points: 192, Level: 2
Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6%

i started between 7th and 8th grade, it took me until like 11th grade to start getting cravings. that was over half my life ago and im just now quitting. once you have that revelation that you actually notice that youre craving it on a physical level, thats when you need to stop
Old 21-06-2012, 22:41
Silver Member

Male from United States
Sovereignty is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1
Activity: 1.7% Activity: 1.7% Activity: 1.7%

In my experience, addiction starts from ritual (specially if starting at a young age). All it can take is that one cigarette after school every day, then before you know it its one before school, during lunch, after school, and before bed. Once one gets to 4/day, it only takes a month or two for an addiction to take hold. Self-discipline is key, but then again, we're all human. The best way to keep off an addiction (other than complete cessation, of course) is to keep tobacco reserved strictly for celebratory social situations. This, in my experience, is also the best way to enjoy a tobacco buzz.
Old 23-06-2012, 12:27

21 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Ishwoo is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1
Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7%

I would probably say 2 cigs a day for a month or so. It depends on the person, i have friends who have social smoked for the past 3 years but can go a month without smoking no prob while i've only been smoking about 3-4 a day for the same time period but i struggle to go more than a day without one. I would highly recommend never becoming addicted, you'll be able to stop whenever you want for the first year or so but after you'll notice that those 3-4 a day will turn into 8 or 9 a day and then all of a sudden quitting seems like a really hard thing to do
Old 14-07-2012, 02:05

Male from United States
FLINCH is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

I was addicted after my first pack. I remember being shocked that I was craving them so hard so fast. Sucks! Now 35 years later I am 40 days off smokes.
Old 26-09-2012, 10:33
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

20 y/o Male from United States
UsernameNotFound should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Activity: 2.0% Activity: 2.0% Activity: 2.0%

It really varies from person to person, for me i started smoking when I was 11 but didn't really inhale as the burn was horrible, lol memories, smoked every once in a while until I was 14, then cause I never really inhaled, I never got any buzz and didn't see the point so I stopped. I picked it up again when I turned 18 and could buy them, I would buy cigars here and there and make 1 last days, now I smoke probably a pack and half to two a month, I limit myself to three a day, 2 100's, or 1 cigar, and never buy packs for myself to keep it from becoming habitual, my friend just lets me bum them off her whenever cause she's awesome. Also if I'm really craving one I make a point not to smoke. All of this keeps me from ever getting hard craving and or getting addicted. The way I am with drugs in general is when I want something the most that's the time I need to stay away from it, and that's always served me great.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:06
Gold Finger

33 y/o Female from United States
chibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPAC
Points: 2,401, Level: 7 Points: 2,401, Level: 7 Points: 2,401, Level: 7
Activity: 4.5% Activity: 4.5% Activity: 4.5%

As with pretty much all addictive drugs, your mileage may vary. Some people just don't get addicted to anything easily (never assume you're one of these people) and for some it's love at first sight.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:11

Male from United States
mynigguhtrey is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 102, Level: 1 Points: 102, Level: 1 Points: 102, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Its more about frequency when it comes to getting addicted. If you smoked a cigar once a month. which broke down into however many cigarettes (lets say 20), you would less likely be addicted then if you smoked the cigarettes in halves until they were gone.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:51
Reactive Member

Male from Earth
hookedonhelping must think in IUPAChookedonhelping must think in IUPAChookedonhelping must think in IUPAChookedonhelping must think in IUPAChookedonhelping must think in IUPAChookedonhelping must think in IUPAChookedonhelping must think in IUPAChookedonhelping must think in IUPAChookedonhelping must think in IUPAChookedonhelping must think in IUPAChookedonhelping must think in IUPAC
Points: 3,214, Level: 8 Points: 3,214, Level: 8 Points: 3,214, Level: 8
Activity: 6.7% Activity: 6.7% Activity: 6.7%

I think this is a very important topic, and while others have clearly stated that it differs from one person to another, the most important bit of data is this: The human body no longer has a physical dependency to nicotine after 72 hours.

What does this mean? It means that if you can weather 3 days without a cigarette, the only thing stopping you from maintaining independence from nicotine, is your brain.

The psychological addiction to nicotine is arguably worse than the physical addiction. So many people (myself included, many times) have been able to quit for a week or two at a time, and then BAM, something stressful happens, and you defeat yourself in your quest to kick the disgusting habit.

Quitting for good is only going to happen when either A) you find out you have cancer, or B) you become mentally strong enough to realize that "A)" is a very real possibility if you don't.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:46
Titanium Member

25 y/o Male from United States
GedatusGreen is a decent psychonaut.GedatusGreen is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 137, Level: 1 Points: 137, Level: 1 Points: 137, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Ive smoked cigarettes in leisure for 3 years or so. I only smoke at events like parties or shows, or once in a while in the middle of the night while I look through my telescope. There were a few month long periods of time where I would have 2 a day (not a huge amount but enough to risk addiction.) But ive never been addicted to nicotine at all. Never have I had a craving. Actually if I smoke too much, I get really nauseous and have no desire to smoke afterwards. I don't understand nicotine addiction, I really do think that for most people, it is mainly the habit they're addicted to coupled with the dopamine release that tricks you into thinking "all better."
Old 02-10-2012, 08:44
Titanium Member

24 y/o Male from USA - Arkansas
PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.
Points: 4,494, Level: 9 Points: 4,494, Level: 9 Points: 4,494, Level: 9
Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6%

Your first one. Lol this is only somewhat true. If you like your first one then you are probably going to try more and more until you end up addicted. However you are not addicted on your first one.

Share this on:

Tags
nicotine, tobacco