Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Alcohol
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Alcohol Alcohol, including absinthe, hard liquor, beer, wine, and other assorted spirits.

Old 29-04-2012, 00:14

Male from United States
backlash is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 23, Level: 1 Points: 23, Level: 1 Points: 23, Level: 1
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%
Teens distilling Hand Sanitizer to get drunk

From USA Today

"Some of the teens used salt to separate the alcohol from the sanitizer, making a potent drink similar to a shot of hard liquor. Distillation instructions can be found on the Internet."

LOL, I'm interested in these "instructions".
Old 29-04-2012, 00:51
Titanium Member

Male from Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Basoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 6,667, Level: 12 Points: 6,667, Level: 12 Points: 6,667, Level: 12
Activity: 23.8% Activity: 23.8% Activity: 23.8%
Re: Teens distilling Hand Sanitizer to get drunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by backlash View Post
From USA Today

"Some of the teens used salt to separate the alcohol from the sanitizer, making a potent drink similar to a shot of hard liquor. Distillation instructions can be found on the Internet."

LOL, I'm interested in these "instructions".

Not to sound crass, but why not just drink normal alcohol?

A bottle of mad dog is probably less expensive and will accomplish the same goall. I could see this tech would be useful if we went into prohibition again lol

You would need this:
- if you are too young to purchase alcohol
- in a facility that does not allow alcohol
- hiding a habit (poorly because your breath would be rocking)

What exactly would you be using for?

Post Quality Evaluations:
valid query of OPs age and situation

Last edited by Basoodler; 29-04-2012 at 00:59.
Old 29-04-2012, 00:57
Gold Finger

33 y/o Female from United States
chibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPAC
Points: 2,401, Level: 7 Points: 2,401, Level: 7 Points: 2,401, Level: 7
Activity: 4.5% Activity: 4.5% Activity: 4.5%

Well, at least they're not doing something dangerous like buying professionally-made, government-inspected booze from a store.
Old 29-04-2012, 01:04
Titanium Member

Basoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumBasoodler is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibi curmudgeon View Post
Well, at least they're not doing something dangerous like buying professionally-made, government-inspected booze from a store.
Those regulations and inspections kill the buzz man

I feel the op needs to better explain his need
Old 29-04-2012, 05:29
Gold Finger

33 y/o Female from United States
chibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPAC
Points: 2,401, Level: 7 Points: 2,401, Level: 7 Points: 2,401, Level: 7
Activity: 4.5% Activity: 4.5% Activity: 4.5%

Yeah, it would be a lot safer to just brew your own and distill it. Hand sanitizer is mostly ethanol (or most brands I've seen are) and while it would probably be simple enough to get it into liquid form, I don't know enough about the other ingredients to remove everything potentially dangerous. If I'd known how easy it was to make beer and wine when I was a teenager, I probably would have needed a new liver before my 21st birthday.

good point on other potentially dangerous ingredients
Old 29-04-2012, 15:21
Titanium Member

Yep, a little yeast a little fruit, sugar some water and a little time is all it takes
Old 29-04-2012, 20:22

Male from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basoodler View Post

Not to sound crass, but why not just drink normal alcohol?

A bottle of mad dog is probably less expensive and will accomplish the same goall. I could see this tech would be useful if we went into prohibition again lol

You would need this:
- if you are too young to purchase alcohol
- in a facility that does not allow alcohol
- hiding a habit (poorly because your breath would be rocking)

What exactly would you be using for?
I'm 21 as of a month ago I don't need the step by step for myself, I was curious as to how they were "distilling it"

I should have made that more clear.
Old 30-04-2012, 10:30
Back From the Big House

Male from Australia
Docta is a true resource and beyond reputeDocta is a true resource and beyond reputeDocta is a true resource and beyond reputeDocta is a true resource and beyond reputeDocta is a true resource and beyond reputeDocta is a true resource and beyond reputeDocta is a true resource and beyond reputeDocta is a true resource and beyond reputeDocta is a true resource and beyond reputeDocta is a true resource and beyond reputeDocta is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 9,597, Level: 14 Points: 9,597, Level: 14 Points: 9,597, Level: 14
Activity: 13.8% Activity: 13.8% Activity: 13.8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by backlash View Post
I was curious as to how they were "distilling it"
Before anybody answers that can I just remind you all that this is not the exaction forum so I don't think to much detail on how to extract ethyl alcohol should be given out.

The last thing the kids doing this need is an expert drug extraction tech on the preparation of ethanol from hand sanitizer.

Docta will give some imaginary information on the subject but we wont be going into the full method on safety grounds, key steps will be omitted.

The consistency of common hand sanitizers come from a Carbomer with Triethylamine that has absorbed well over 50% of it's mass, being a hole multitude of poisonous compounds but the one of interest is Ethyl alcohol denatured with isopropyl alcohol. Because of the narrow fraction between the boiling points of the two alcohols it would be almost impossible for someone without lab experience to get anywhere near pure ethyl alcohol.

The hand sanitizer first has it's matrix broken by the addition of a common household product resulting in a watery liquid.

The watery liquid is then heated in distillation at the boiling point of Ethanol to collect the Ethyl alcohol vapor.

The resulting condensate would be adulterated with isopropyl alcohol and other unknowns.

This is not a good way to get alcohol, I think it's more likely risk taking behavior that has the kids doing this.

Good information
Old 30-04-2012, 18:11
Potter Potter is nu online
Platinum Member & Advisor

34 y/o Female from United States
Potter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 19,134, Level: 20 Points: 19,134, Level: 20 Points: 19,134, Level: 20
Activity: 62.5% Activity: 62.5% Activity: 62.5%

I do not for one second believe teens are distilling hand sanitizer. The work needed to build a still far overshadows the difficulty of stealing beer.

oh... salt, weird.

Last edited by Potter; 30-04-2012 at 22:06.
Old 30-04-2012, 19:24
Gold Member

Female from USA - Massachusetts
kailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 11,132, Level: 15 Points: 11,132, Level: 15 Points: 11,132, Level: 15
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

The only "teens" who might be doing this are people (not just teenagers) stuck in a facility. Like a psych ward or maybe a treatment facility.

However, the places I've been to where this would be a possibility generally don't have a bunch of hand sanitizer out that would have enough alcohol in it to matter. Nor do they generally allow lighters, even if someone in such a situation could rig some kind of ghetto distillation device. Maybe a light bulb...

But why go through all that when you can just make pruno?
Old 30-04-2012, 20:33
Silver Member

28 y/o Male from USA - Minnesota
godztear really adds to the discussion.godztear really adds to the discussion.godztear really adds to the discussion.godztear really adds to the discussion.godztear really adds to the discussion.godztear really adds to the discussion.
Points: 2,042, Level: 6 Points: 2,042, Level: 6 Points: 2,042, Level: 6
Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailey_elise View Post
The only "teens" who might be doing this are people (not just teenagers) stuck in a facility. Like a psych ward or maybe a treatment facility.
Unfortunately this is not the case. As you mention, drug and psych facilities are already prepared for this well in advance having only alcohol free soaps and mouth washes.

More News

Supply on demand, who gets carded buying hand sanitizer anyways?
Old 30-04-2012, 20:39
Titanium Member

He'll when I was in highschool we just looked in the bushes in peoples yards and found enough "hidden" booze to get by. We also made deals with kids who worked at grocery stores, who would "get" alcohol for money.

I can't see kids putting that much work into getting booze when there are a million easier ways to get it. This seems like urban legend material. We could always drink mouthwash, but never did.

Seems like if kids were that hard up for a buzz they would just resort to easier and less time consuming things like huffing whipped cream cans or gasolean.
Old 30-04-2012, 20:43
Silver Member

28 y/o Male from USA - Minnesota
godztear really adds to the discussion.godztear really adds to the discussion.godztear really adds to the discussion.godztear really adds to the discussion.godztear really adds to the discussion.godztear really adds to the discussion.
Points: 2,042, Level: 6 Points: 2,042, Level: 6 Points: 2,042, Level: 6
Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3%

Quote:
He'll when I was in highschool we just looked in the bushes in peoples yards and found enough "hidden" booze to get by. We also made deals with kids who worked at grocery stores, who would "get" alcohol for money.

I can't see kids putting that much work into getting booze when there are a million easier ways to get it. This seems like urban legend material. We could always drink mouthwash, but never did.

Seems like if kids were that hard up for a buzz they would just resort to easier and less time consuming things like huffing whipped cream cans or gasolean.
When I was a kid, it would have piked my interest to see if i could extract the alcohol out of a product, rather then slap a rag wet with gasoline to my face. To each their own.

The fact is, kids are doing it. The hospital records prove so.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:39

Male from United States

Quote:
The fact is, kids are doing it. The hospital records prove so.
A bunch of media outlets simultaneously trying to sell sensationalism from a few dumb decisions (while basically promoting it) in my perspective doesn't exactly make them correct, this is just another hype.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:52
Back From the Big House

Male from Australia
Docta is a true resource and beyond reputeDocta is a true resource and beyond reputeDocta is a true resource and beyond reputeDocta is a true resource and beyond reputeDocta is a true resource and beyond reputeDocta is a true resource and beyond reputeDocta is a true resource and beyond reputeDocta is a true resource and beyond reputeDocta is a true resource and beyond reputeDocta is a true resource and beyond reputeDocta is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 9,597, Level: 14 Points: 9,597, Level: 14 Points: 9,597, Level: 14
Activity: 13.8% Activity: 13.8% Activity: 13.8%

Quote:
I think the reason we'er seeing this on the rise is the fact parents are getting savvy with booze and mouth wash, leaving hand sanitizer as an easy target for exploitation. In the end it's all about availability, you don't walk a mile for a steak when you can go next door for a hamburger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter View Post
I do not for one second believe teens are distilling hand sanitizer...........
Thing is Potter we are not talking about an ornate distillation involving a fractionating column and condenser, after the hand sanitizer has been liquefied the distillation comprises not much more than, two empty beer bottles and a length of garden hose. It's not exactly best practice, from what I understand thermometers are not used.

In a kitchen with two sinks (side by side), one with hot water in, one with cold water. Beer bottle half full of sanitizer is placed in the sink with hot water and an empty beer bottle in the sink with cold water, connect the two beer bottles with the garden hose and "hey presto" you got something that gets you and your friends smash of your face, it's that simple.

The ingestion of any kind of high concentration alcohol is a poisoning risk, but I think the increased risk of ingesting a biocide such as Benzalkonium chloride should be paramount. That along with the fact that hand sanitizer is not an SD (specially denatured) alcohol product so the denaturants are not coded and listed as formula found in 27 CFR part 21 of the (US) Code of Federal Regulations. Alcohol-based mouthwashes like Listerine use formulas 37 and 38-B that are for the most part non-poisonous, the denaturants and quality of the alcohols in hand sanitizers are unregulated.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:26
Titanium Member

Male from Canada
LifeSucceedsDeath is on the way upLifeSucceedsDeath is on the way upLifeSucceedsDeath is on the way up
Points: 90, Level: 1 Points: 90, Level: 1 Points: 90, Level: 1
Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4%

well said Potter... although I was a "teen" when I made a copper rocket ship fueled by fruit juices and yeast made in the sun. The only emission was relatively pure ethanol; not sure, but the thing never flew straight and constantly fell down, bumped into things, and crashed (looked pretty stupid)... a good note on liver damage as that sort of thing happens too often out of carelessness.

Further, I think the amount of alcohol required for space travel is lethal to most humans, so I stuck to other healthy plants. Most importantly, I noticed the seniors didn't bite, so I came to only drink when they were around to buy.

A whole lot of mess may result from this, and as Docta said the substances' boiling points are so close together that more advanced techniques must be employed; ie. extractive distillation, which in this case could require several solvents.

Anyone properly experienced to perform this efficiently would surely go the much simpler route of purchasing their ethanol.... or distilling from wine, spirits, or the like - with very accurate distillation equipment - then further removing the excess water via adsorbent materials for dessication. Ethanol can only be distilled to a fraction around 95.6% v/v, and so the final step to purity would be achieved by passing the vapor stream through MORE hygroscopic materials (ethanol is hygroscopic); zeolites would be preferred at a smaller scale I'd imagine.

One question, would adding coarse/fine zeolites to the fractionating column of a simple glass distillation apparatus work and how much time should be allowed? In this situation let's say we're working with 90-95% alcohol.

-LSD
Old 01-05-2012, 15:16
Titanium Member

Let's not debate our way into publishing a usable tek

I guess when you are that young safety is not always paramount

Last edited by Basoodler; 01-05-2012 at 17:52.
Old 02-05-2012, 19:22

32 y/o Female from United States
BreannaBlueDream should review received reputation comments.
Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1
Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1%

Geez, Hand Sanitizer. Doesnt matter how, kids will find a way to get fucked up.
Old 04-06-2012, 00:40
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from Earth
loud should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Activity: 2.8% Activity: 2.8% Activity: 2.8%

This reminds me of the kids eating bath salts to get high. What has this world come to ? lol.

- loud

please do some research on "bath salts" the trade name for legal stimulants.

Share this on:

Tags
bad ideas

Sitelinks: Information: