Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery > Opiate addiction
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Opiate addiction Support for coping with Opiate addiction and Opiate addiction treatment.

Old 26-04-2012, 20:45
Silver Member

37 y/o Male from Germany
pema is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 173, Level: 2 Points: 173, Level: 2 Points: 173, Level: 2
Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3%
Swollen limbs from injecting heroin

What causes swollen limbs in injecting drug users?
I saw a lot of injecting heroin users whose finger were swollen. They had really big hands like big paws which looks especially strange in light-weighed woman.
I first thought, it's a circulation problem because of the injections. But it seems that the problem is in most people much stronger after waking up and much less severe in the evening. So I am not sure if it is really circulation.
It could be an edema because of heart or liver failure as consequence of many years of drug abuse. But how should an edema be strongest in the morning and disappear in the evening? Or is this possible because of the movements of the limbs?
Now I saw such symptoms in myself. From time to time when I wake up, I realize that my legs and/or my hands (fingers) are swollen. After maybe an hour or so, everything is normal again.
I stopped injecting heroin maybe 3-4 months ago. I really injected great amounts of heroin every day. I think, I got circulation problems from the many injections. Because it became impossible to find veins in arms, legs, hands, ... anymore, I started the inject in the groin maybe 3 years ago. Maybe one year ago, varicose veins showed. So there probably is a circulation problem.
Sometimes my finger tips are getting cold. This also happens when it is not too cold. I know that I have no thrombosis but nothing more. A doctor shall examine my blood circulation the next week.
What could be the cause that fingers and legs are swollen only in the morning? Why does it get better after some time of being awake and walking?
I tried to find some more information but a search for "heroin swollen limbs" or something like that only gives me links to something like "Help. I hit an artery" or something like that.
Old 26-04-2012, 23:38
Titanium Member

Female from United States
east_of_eden really adds to the discussion.east_of_eden really adds to the discussion.east_of_eden really adds to the discussion.east_of_eden really adds to the discussion.east_of_eden really adds to the discussion.east_of_eden really adds to the discussion.
Points: 813, Level: 4 Points: 813, Level: 4 Points: 813, Level: 4
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%
Re: Swollen limbs from injecting heroin

I believe this to be a problem with circulation. Especially when people shoot up in the small veins in their hands, fingers, feet, ankles, etc.

All the little veins that circulate blood to these areas become un-useable pretty quickly and circulation becomes a problem. People get swollen hands and feet in particular especially in the morning. I don't know the exact reason behind this but once people wake up and get moving around, the swelling goes down quite a bit.

Share this on: