Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Various drugs not covered by other forums > Deliriant antihistamines
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Deliriant antihistamines Diphenhydramine, cyclizine and other antihistamines.

Old 25-04-2012, 06:33

Male from United States
jimmyjail is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 62, Level: 1 Points: 62, Level: 1 Points: 62, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%
Does anyone use Hydroxyzine?

Does anyone here use Hydroxyzine for sleep or anxiety?

If so, how much?

Thanks
Old 25-04-2012, 06:44
Silver Member

36 y/o Male from United States
mistman is a decent psychonaut.mistman is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 387, Level: 3 Points: 387, Level: 3 Points: 387, Level: 3
Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7%
Re: Does anyone use Hydroxyzine?

My wife was prescribed 50mg for anxiety, but it was not effective for her.
Old 16-05-2012, 19:04
Silver Member

Male from United States
Chris120 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 59, Level: 1 Points: 59, Level: 1 Points: 59, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

I was prescribed Hydroxyzine HCl for anxiety, nausea, and sleep. I have to take half of a small pill to get great sedative effects, but it takes up to 1.5 hours to kick in. Very effective to relax you and put you into a nice sleep. Really detailed and vivid dreams too, which is a plus
Old 16-05-2012, 19:45
Titanium Member

Male from France
zerozerohero probably knows what they are talking about.zerozerohero probably knows what they are talking about.zerozerohero probably knows what they are talking about.zerozerohero probably knows what they are talking about.zerozerohero probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 545, Level: 3 Points: 545, Level: 3 Points: 545, Level: 3

Hydroxizine is a great antihistamine and sedative. I do not however feel the anxiolytic effects of it, at all. Where i come from it is often prescribed in dosages varying from 25mg to 100mg along with a mild dose of benzodiazepines, especially for people who do not get the sedative effects of benzodiazepines or are prescribed a benzodiazepine that does not boast much sedative effects.
It is indeed very efficient as a sleeping aid and might therefore be a great help to people who can't sleep because of anxiety and/or stress.

I have to go +1 on the vivid dreams, it's sometimes even a bit over-freaky for my own taste, but nothing very deranging (maybe that depends on what one's subconscious is filled with...)

I usually use 50 to 100mg, depending on my overall condition, other substances i might have consumed etc. ...
I do not feel like i "need" it (i just realized i did not touch it in about 7 months despite having next to my bed...), it's a great help and something i always want to have in my medicine cabinet, just in case.
Old 22-05-2012, 03:57
Silver Member

Male from United States
Chris120 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 59, Level: 1 Points: 59, Level: 1 Points: 59, Level: 1

Yes, I agree that while not habit forming, it provides a very viable option to sleep when anxiety is not letting you. I was prescribed hydroxyzine for nausea and insomnia caused by anxiety at night, and it sure did the trick for me. Whenever I feel anxious, or want to become relaxed and sleepy, I just take some and off I go into the dream world. Helped a lot relieving the on-spot anxiety attacks, usually at night, before I got a script for Prozac.
Old 27-10-2012, 22:23
Silver Member

Female from United States
Paranoia-Agent is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1

I take 75-100mg per day for anxiety.
It seems to fail at taking away my anxiety, however they do dull me out quite a bit.
Old 30-10-2012, 09:45
Titanium Member

Male from France
zerozerohero probably knows what they are talking about.zerozerohero probably knows what they are talking about.zerozerohero probably knows what they are talking about.zerozerohero probably knows what they are talking about.zerozerohero probably knows what they are talking about.

I've red somewhere that the anxyolytic propperties of Hydroxyzine get less with time, the report in question stated that anxyolytic effects got less after the 3rd month of treatment.
Hydroxyzine works for me, i am even pretty sure that it's more efficient for that purpose than some benzos i've tried.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:40

23 y/o Male from United States
SIR KIT should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 174, Level: 2 Points: 174, Level: 2 Points: 174, Level: 2
Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerozerohero View Post
i am even pretty sure that it's more efficient for that purpose than some benzos i've tried.
I agree. Recently got switched from klonopin to this and I LIKE IT MORE! I'd even go as far to say it has some rec value, but I think I have such horrible anxiety all the time, that anything with potential to lower it makes me feel what I consider a "high". Other antihistamines I have tried did not give me the same subtle "feel good" effects like hydroxyzine. It's only my 5th day on them and I am already craving them when I go without...well that may not be a good thing.
Old 04-12-2012, 18:17

30 y/o Male from United States
panda40 should review received reputation comments.
Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1 Points: 2, Level: 1
Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7%

My girlfriend a while back, and my grandmother now, were prescribed to Hydroxyzine.. Grandmother for itching, girlfriend for anxiety.. Grandmother felt effects at recommended dosage (50mg) for itching.. Girlfriend didnt feel effects at recomended dosage (50mg twice a day) so she upped the dose and felt very tired.. I guess if you can't do anything you anxiety is relieved huh..
Old 05-12-2012, 09:07
Titanium Member

Male from France

Well the thing with anxiety is that it get worse with sleep deprivation, as do many mental pathologies. So for many people, finding sound sleep truly helps with managing anxiety and helps fighting stress. But make no mistake, very anxious people may be rendered completely useless by promethazine or similar coumpounds and still experience anxiety.
I get more and more reports in, stating that hydroxizine is a great anxiolytic, at least for a given period of time.
Old 20-03-2013, 08:59
Silver Member

23 y/o Male from United States
fourtysevenpercent is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1
Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5%

Hydroxyzine is a great anxiolytic for someone who really needs it, and doesn't have a tolerance to other things. My first couple days on it I felt "high" and "nice" and "normal" and "almost euphoric".... then it just made me want to take naps by hour 1.5 and it didn't seem to alleviate anxiety as good as it did before, there were even times on 100mg's of hydroxyzine that I wish I would have taken a xanax instead! Such a pain in the ass when you can't control panic attacks, even in their mildest form...
Old 24-06-2013, 06:07
Silver Member

Female from Earth
swimmeet76 is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 137, Level: 1 Points: 137, Level: 1 Points: 137, Level: 1
Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3%

Cat was prescribed this in 25 mg when she got really itchy and couldn't explain why. The itching went away and she thinks it's from stress and anxiety since that's when she gets itchy. Hydroxyzine doesn't give her a buzz like benadryl but she can just lie down and go to sleep. Never tried it for anxiety but she does do coke so she might try it afterwards. She found it better than other sleep aids like diphenhydramine which gives her a hangover the next day and she's still tired and groggy. Hydroxyzine doesn't do this to her unless she did too much..anything over 5 capsules.
Old 24-06-2013, 06:12
Silver Member

27 y/o Male from United States
Zhekarius is on the way upZhekarius is on the way upZhekarius is on the way up
Points: 856, Level: 4 Points: 856, Level: 4 Points: 856, Level: 4
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

You will build up a tolerance to this if it is used daily, as to how 'much' of a tolerance however I couldn't say, they seem to help take the edge off when it's really hard to sleep if nothing else.
Old 24-06-2013, 06:18
Titanium Member

Male from United States
Rob Cypher must mainline MedlineRob Cypher must mainline MedlineRob Cypher must mainline MedlineRob Cypher must mainline MedlineRob Cypher must mainline MedlineRob Cypher must mainline MedlineRob Cypher must mainline MedlineRob Cypher must mainline MedlineRob Cypher must mainline MedlineRob Cypher must mainline MedlineRob Cypher must mainline Medline
Points: 5,571, Level: 11 Points: 5,571, Level: 11 Points: 5,571, Level: 11
Activity: 15.2% Activity: 15.2% Activity: 15.2%

I have loved ones who take it for both allergies and sleep...it's a little more benign in terms of side effects compared to other early-generation antihistamines like diphenhydramine (which I loathe). I have noticed that people can grow tolerant to its effects and become slightly dependent on it as well, but that takes weeks to months of constant usage, IMO.
Old 24-06-2013, 16:38
Titanium Member

25 y/o Male from USA - Kentucky
Moving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond repute

I have probably 200 of the 50 mg capsules sitting in my room. I don't take them so often now but I used to take 50-150 mg a night for sleep. It worked pretty well, but then when I'd run out, I couldn't sleep.

As for anxiety, I will say it is more effective than absolutely nothing, but only helps to relieve the very worst of the symptoms (for me). But I've been using benzos prescribed on a daily basis with just a few exceptions for like 8 years for anxiety and prior to take, I was using them for another 2 years on a simi-regular basis for anxiety (never liked getting high on them much). So we're talking close to 10 years of regular benzo use for my anxiety (which is really rough). So maybe that's why hydroxyzine does so little for my anxiety.

The last time I took it for anxiety alone, I was in phenibut withdrawals, terribly anxious, and I took 200 mg. I almost felt okay. I felt able to breath eaiser and my heart wasn't racing. I was still nervous, but felt better by leaps and bounds. After that though, it hardly did anything. Even at higher doses. If I was lucky it would stop my heart from racing real bad and let me sleep for a little while.

It is a great antihistamine though. Not so much for nausea. I've noticed this personally but found out the reason is that it doesn't have strong anticholengeric activity which is responsible for the anti-nausea effects. Things like promethazine or even diphenhydramine will work better for nausea than hydroxyzine.

I enjoy it for opiate potentiation more than promethazine because it makes me less sedated in a bad way, like it doesn't make me just want to go to sleep like promethazine, it gives more of a relaxed sedation than just a tired sedation.

Promethazine v. hydroxyzine for anxiety/sleep? Hmm, I'd say for sure promethazine is better for sleep and about 2 times as strong by weight (50 mg of promethazine is equal if not greater than 100 mg of hydroxyzine as far as making you sleepy). For anxiety, I'd also probably say promethazine is better because it makes you so tired that it relieves anxiety better.

But compared to benzos, they aren't work much to me for anxiety. One, they make you so fucking groggy and dry your up so much and you get headaches all the time. Two, they just don't do much.

Share this on:

Tags
dose, hydroxyzine