Register Tags

Notices

Old 19-04-2012, 00:48

23 y/o Male from United States
zachaz90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Will XANAX help with OPIATE withdrawal?

I believe am going through some mild opiate withdrawal at the moment and I was just curious if Xanax 1MG ODT will help or worsen the symptoms or have no effect? Any advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 19-04-2012, 00:57
Silver Member

Male from United States
EternalReality is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1
Re: Will XANAX help with OPIATE withdrawal?

Well I have found that during a few opiate withdrawals i have had, i would take 1-2mg Xanax (1mg in the morning and 1mg at night). I found it helped greatly but I found myself having to take more and more even after the opiate W/D had ceased. after about 1 month of Xanax use i had gotten up to about 4-5 mg a day. then i ran out of ALL drugs and had nothing. i suffered for about a week or two with xanax W/D and it slowly faded away. now I'm just telling you my experience and warning you that benzo's can be very addictive and the W/D from them can be hell. but if you can use them responsibly for a few days to help with the opiate W/D it can help. i still love Xanax to this day, i just had to do some trial & error and i learned to "respect" it as well as other drugs.
Be careful and Have a nice day.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Excellent Advice
Very well spoken answer and advice
Old 19-04-2012, 00:58

Male from United States
Impaired is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1

Yes it will! But don't get addicted to Xanax in return because kicking a benzo is some serious shit.

Just use the Xanax at the worst parts off your kick.

I heard that Howard Hughes used to detox from codeine (injected) by using Valium, so it's all relative.

And from personal experience, yes, Xanax does help with withdrawal. Just remember what I said about becoming addicted to the Xanax!

It works. But be careful. Good luck.
Old 19-04-2012, 03:02
Titanium Member

Female from United States
hypernihl is on the way uphypernihl is on the way uphypernihl is on the way up
Points: 409, Level: 3 Points: 409, Level: 3 Points: 409, Level: 3
Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impaired View Post
Yes it will! But don't get addicted to Xanax in return because kicking a benzo is some serious shit.

Just use the Xanax at the worst parts off your kick.

I heard that Howard Hughes used to detox from codeine (injected) by using Valium, so it's all relative.

And from personal experience, yes, Xanax does help with withdrawal. Just remember what I said about becoming addicted to the Xanax!

It works. But be careful. Good luck.
No, it might!

Personally, benzodiazepines such as Xanax have made me more uncomfortable during opiate withdrawal.

It seems to help some a lot of people, but not every one is wired the same.

Great point. Using benzos for withdrawal is subjective. Mileage may vary.
Old 19-04-2012, 03:55

zachaz90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1

Thank you for your advice! I have been on Xanax for a few months now so I think I will try to take 1-2MG and hopefully it will help with the w/d. Thanks again!
Old 19-04-2012, 05:12
Titanium Member

32 y/o Male from United States
Mr.Cr0wley is captain of the psychonauts.Mr.Cr0wley is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 324, Level: 2 Points: 324, Level: 2 Points: 324, Level: 2
Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6%

It can go either way for me. You didn't mention your particular dosage so withdrawals could be light or unbearable depending on your current dosing. You will be lethargic and possibly depressed from the withdrawals so taking it during the day might only add to this. It's not necessarily a bad thing if you have nothing important to do that day. For me, I try to avoid making myself a zombie. Forcing myself to get out during the day and walk or run does more good than popping a pill. If I do keep xanax around I try to use them for real moments of crisis like not sleeping or panic attacks.

Although, if you've been taking it for a few months you probably don't get sleepy like a xanax newb might. Just watch your dosage and make sure it doesn't go up to compensate for the lack of opiates. There is no around the awfulness of a real opiate withdrawal. Benzos will help with anxiety and possible sleeplessness, but not much else.

I suffer during the day while my body detoxes and slowly heals itself. I try to adopt some healthier habits too during this time like vitamins, exercise, and eating right. I prefer it more for the late evenings and night when I tend to get my most restless, or insomnia kicks in.

My one saving grace is that I don't like xanax in the same way that I love opiates. I've also heard more than one person say they would rather withdrawal from heroin again than benzos. I can't speak from experience, but they are supposed to be brutal.

Be careful, friend.

Very true. Over-compensating is easy to do during opiate/opioid wd. Very informative post all round.
Old 20-04-2012, 13:36
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from Australia
mikezombie777 is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 373, Level: 3 Points: 373, Level: 3 Points: 373, Level: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impaired View Post

Huh? Injecting Codeine is pointless as it's a pro drug and does nothing on it's own, it also causes a massive histamine release and possible death.

Think you got ya info wrong there bud.
Old 20-04-2012, 14:07
Silver Member

Male from United States
EternalReality is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1

http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72517
this has already been discussed on the link above. "In Britain Codeine Phosphate is supplied in 60mg vials with the clear instruction on the outside that it is for INTRAMUSCULAR use only - this is also verifiable in the British National Formulary.
Intravenous usage is potentially fatal from Acute Respiratory Depression and severe Hypotension.

Excellent work. Well done for informing members with a useful link to provide evidence, rather than only anecdotal info.
Old 14-05-2012, 04:46
Silver Member

Male from Canada
SomniphileXII is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 167, Level: 2 Points: 167, Level: 2 Points: 167, Level: 2

@EternalReality: Lol. Love the image by the way, more of a lorazepam SL kind of cat, mine is, however. =]

I believe that benzodiazepine, having an affinity for CNS depression (similar to opiates) would tone down some of the withdrawal, coupled with alprazolam's (Xanax) ability to decrease nausea, cause muscle relaxation, cause somnolence, etc.
In short, a little bit of dextromethorphan HBr (maybe 70-100mg) with 0.5mg or 1mg of alprazolam would probably work very well.
I'm not condoning this kind of dosing because this is just what my cat, who has been on lorazepam for years, would do. Mixing benzodiazepines can be fatal, keep in mind, remember dose response curve and good luck.

Cheers.
L.
Old 16-05-2012, 06:05

26 y/o Female from Canada
greycat is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1

For me having some xanax during opiate withdrawal makes me a little more relaxed. the hardest part for me when I stop opiates is breaking the habit of popping pills all the time. If I can have a xanax after dinner it satisfies that "need to eat a pill" feeling. It also helps me sleep.

Unfortunately it doesn't help so much directly with the opiate withdrawals, xanax is a subtle relief. but be careful about doing them too much, I've heard withdrawal from benzo's (especially xanax) is worse than opiates.
Old 16-05-2012, 08:33
Silver Member

Male from Earth
reef88 is on the way upreef88 is on the way upreef88 is on the way upreef88 is on the way up
Points: 1,591, Level: 6 Points: 1,591, Level: 6 Points: 1,591, Level: 6
Activity: 20.5% Activity: 20.5% Activity: 20.5%

Clonazepam and Valium are better because of their muscle relaxant properties and they last longer, thus you won't have the desire to keep popping Xanax pills all the time because it lasts too little.

Don't get me wrong, Xanax will help, but in my honest opinion Clonazepam and/or Valium are more helpful, in my personal experience Clonazepam helps a lot with tremors and muscle tension. Another thing about Xanax, since it lasts a short period of time, you'll have to do it more often than long-lasting benzos, which will eventually result in dependence.

Perhaps you can mix Xanax with either Valium or Clonazepam. Xanax for the almost immediate effect and other one for the long-lasting muscle relaxant and anti-seizure properties.
Old 21-05-2012, 23:20

thatsdaynk should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 54, Level: 1 Points: 54, Level: 1 Points: 54, Level: 1
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

I took xanax when I quit ocs, it helped a bunch. makes it easier to sleep, function etc. makes you not as anxious about getting more, doing more etc. i had made up my mind i was quitting before though, and slowly tapered off. you can easily get hooked on benzos, i just didnt. still do xanax now and then, no worries.
Old 20-06-2012, 21:58

Female from United States
Misfit Chick is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%

YES it helps a bunch, for me i have a hard time sleeping..the stuff knocks me down
Old 19-12-2012, 19:07
Silver Member

42 y/o Male from United States
mar1ne is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 407, Level: 3 Points: 407, Level: 3 Points: 407, Level: 3
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

In what doses did xanax help you sleep when withdrawing? Please describe your situation so that I can understand what a good dose is.(i.e. benzo experience, heigh/weight, what and how much you detoxing from, and the dose you are taking of xanax to sleep).. Please!
Old 20-12-2012, 00:42

26 y/o Female from United States
lacy6989 should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 41, Level: 1 Points: 41, Level: 1 Points: 41, Level: 1
Activity: 3.7% Activity: 3.7% Activity: 3.7%

Yeah I think it helps neway it puts me right to sleep also klonapin or its also called clonazapam helps too it kinda makes u feel like ur drunk which will take the edge off if you've got a steady supply of either of these drugs u should be fine !!!!
Old 23-12-2012, 02:53

29 y/o Female from United States
Mesaana is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1 Points: 9, Level: 1
Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1%

in my experience, benzos in general helped greatly with the withdrawal effects from opiates. while of course this is subjective, i have found that one of the effects of opiate withdrawals for me is that get very irritable, snappy, and feel on-edge. taking 1-2mg's of xanax definitely helps, as it helps me to feel more relaxed, less irritable, and also is a mood-lifter for me.

however, as has been mentioned before, be careful of the addictive properties of xanax, as it can become extremely psychologically as well as physically addictive rapidly. in my opinion, the withdrawal from benzo's is even worse than the withdrawal from opiates. if you are taking a high dose, and you stop cold turkey, you can develop seizures, and benzo withdrawal in rare cases can even be fatal.
Old 24-12-2012, 02:54
Titanium Member

25 y/o Male from USA - Kentucky
Moving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond repute

For me, the benzos (in general) help with some of the physical aspects of withdrawal such as RLS, muscle aches, nausea, and insomnia. It also helps with some of the cravings. But this is when I am not dependant. I recall one time during heroin withdrawals where I at somewhere in the neighborhood of 25-30 15mg clorazepate to try and sleep and only managed to get maybe an hour of sleep and still woke up feeling horrible and with extreme anxiety. I was so fucked up from the Tranxene (clorazepate) that I could hardly walk but I was still in full blow withdrawals.

My opinion on benzos and opiate withdrawals is that they can be very helpful if you aren't already addicted/tolerant to them. If you are, you will get far less relief. Also they tend to make you very lethargic and depressed which makes the withdrawals even worse.

Another thing, at least for me, they can make the cravings way worse. So if you're trying to kick for good and eat benzos to help with withdrawals they may make your cravings worse. That and your lowered inhabitions becuase of the benzos can eaisly lead you to go out and score.

To sum it up, I really think they are only useful in people who aren't already dependant on benzos.
Old 30-12-2012, 20:37
Silver Member

Male from Canada
SomniphileXII is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 167, Level: 2 Points: 167, Level: 2 Points: 167, Level: 2

Just to add my bit as this thread is answered in majority.
My cat is a recovering opioid addict and current benzodiazepine addict (three years running). She is, however, using lorazepam.
With lorazepam, we know that it has effects such as antiemetic properties that are useful in opioid withdrawal. Lorazepam in fact shares all the mutual effects of benzodiazepines, making it (along with some others) more effective.
The half-life elimination period is also something to look at. Out of my cat's personal experience, a short-moderate elimination period excels with opioid withdrawal, hitting a quick peak and lasting longer than something like alprazolam (ie Xanax).
Another point for lorazepam though, being a 'short-moderate-acting' BZD, it also has an extended peak effect allowing for more adequate conservation of medicine.

Of course, no one can stress enough about not becoming dependent upon benzos, my cat actually finds opioid withdrawal easier than benzo withdrawal

At the moment my cat is withdrawing from a short period of excessive morphine use, easily 200mg/day for long enough to have its repercussions.
She finds that a combination of perhaps 2mg lorazepam in the afternoon with periodic doses of say 40-100mg dextromethorphan for NMDA antagonism. Plenty of herbals and other items may help with lingering effects like the cold sweating that doesn't seem to cease on benzos, but rather is far less unpleasant-feeling. Dose another 2-4mg lorazepam at night for sleep.

Any first generation antihistamine such as diphenhydramine will also help with the nausea and contribute to sleep.

This is of course just how my cat tends to go about it, maybe there were some tips in there, I dunno

Best of luck, all
Cheers

Well written and explained account of personal experience where the poster recognises that this method may not be suited to all. Good attitude.
Old 25-04-2013, 05:17

26 y/o Female from United States
jsherwood is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

I realize it's been a while since anyone has posted here, but I wanted to share my experience in case it can help others. I was in a serious car accident about a year and a half ago and decided to go off my pain medication (Oxycodone, Dilauded) and see how bad the pain really was. I've been off them for 5 days and just got my refill of Xanax (which I've been taking for 2 years or so) yesterday. I had run out early so I didn't have any for the beginning of the opiate W/D's. After having it yesterday, I have to say it is a life saver! I'm able to sleep, it gets rid of the sweating and anxiety and I just generally feel better. I even cleaned the house today on a very messed up, painful leg because I felt up to it. I've never taken a medication that wasn't specifically prescribed to me, I still have refills on my opiates, but I'm sick of being a zombie all the time. Anyways, I hope this info can help others. If you have legal access to Xanax (as in, a prescription), or are able to obtain a prescription from your doctor, I would very highly recommend it.
Also, many talk about Benzo withdrawal and I have been on it for 2 years with absolutely no withdrawals. I'm not sure why - perhaps because I only use it for anxiety and not recreationally. I receive 2mg per day (60 pills a month) and it works wonders on my anxiety. There have been times where I'm in between prescriptions and have to go a week without it, but I've never felt anything other than anxiety (to be expected when you no longer have your anxiety medication). I believe the withdrawals from Benzo's can vary from person to person.
I hope my experience can help ease someone's mind. Withdrawal from Opiates does end, and it's not nearly as bad as some would make it out to be. If you have 10mg Oxycodones, cut them into fourths and use that for your last week of tapering. The smaller the last doses, the easier the withdrawal will be, in my experience.
Old 30-04-2013, 23:38
Silver Member

45 y/o Male from United States
mayhem1969 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have heard Tramadol greatly helps with w/d from the oxycodone. That is very easy to get online and relatively cheap.
IMO would stay away from the xanax while w/ding, benzos are worse to rid of habit, w/d from them are hell.
Old 26-03-2014, 22:05
Silver Member

Male from United States
SWIMJIM is learning how to become a psychonaut.

Every person is unique. To me, Xanax during opiate withdrawal should be used to help get to sleep whereas taking it during the day can just make it seem like I've added depression to my discomfort. Poor or no slepp for day on end is probably the worst effect of opiate withdrawal. It makes it harder and harder to cope with the discomfort when you add auditory hallucinations to the mix from sleep deprivation. Conversely, if Xanax can get you to sleep and stay asleep, not only is the time you have to suffer reduced, but you become better able to cope with the remaining misery of opiate withdrawal and participation groups if hospitalized. They won't give you benzos in treatment because they are scared to death of liabilities--that you'll sue them for creating a second insidious addition. But I don't understand why they won't if you are already abusing both. What are they afraid of, the other kids in the class getting jealous? "I hope you brought enough for everybody".

Right now this what I am just about to try out patient at home. I have one last Suboxone left that lasts 8 days. And I already have a 4 mg Xanax habit. But I have serious physical ailments that should answer their liabilities and I just got a nice lady shrink to work with me and let me keep doing the four mgs of Xanax for at least a few months of Suboxone withdrawal. Kicking Suboxone is miserable is a bitch and no small thing. Insurance companies think you can be detoxed in a couple of days from Subs. Trust me, the withdrawal is far far longer than any hospital stay they'll approve these days. I tried for a month last year. I Was as misearble at day 28 as day 8. It's Satan's own elixir.I don't even know if you CAN kick Suboxone. It's relentless and possibly made to be taken forever.

Share this on:

Tags
opiate withdrawal, oxycodone, xanax, xanax interactions