Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Cannabis
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Cannabis Use, cultivation & production of Marijuana, Hashish, Ice-o-lator & Hemp.

Old 02-04-2012, 14:11
Titanium Member

Male from Australia
Troppo is on the way upTroppo is on the way upTroppo is on the way up
Points: 689, Level: 4 Points: 689, Level: 4 Points: 689, Level: 4
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%
Is there anything that can get rid of next-day tiredness after smoking?

I guess the title sums up my question. A friend of mine gets some medical benefits from smoking 2-4 cones of cannabis at night, but it makes him extremely tired for hours the next day after waking up, often until 3-4 PM. He does take 5 mg of diazepam each night, but that's not a very large dose. He says the tiredness feels different to benzo sedation, too.

Does anyone else experience this feeling the day after smoking, or hours after you were no longer stoned? If so, any idea what is causing it to happen after using such a low amount of cannabis, or ways of counteracting the tiredness? Coffee barely touches it, and this guy doesn't want to smoke again during the day time, as he has to drive a car each day. The police here can do random roadside saliva tests for drug use, and the test picks up cannabis use for at least several hours afterwards.

Obviously the only solution will be to stop using cannabis if this happens regularly, but it would still be interesting to know if others have experienced this "pot fog", as my friend calls it.
Old 02-04-2012, 14:49
TheBigBadWolf TheBigBadWolf is nu online
..and your eyebrows

48 y/o Male from Germany
TheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 7,962, Level: 13 Points: 7,962, Level: 13 Points: 7,962, Level: 13
Activity: 39.1% Activity: 39.1% Activity: 39.1%
Re: Is there anything that can get rid of next-day tiredness after smoking?

I have heard about such things happening to friends of mine.

No one of them ever found a way around this foggyness, whereas in one case the friend resorted to taking amphetamine, which IMV is complete overkill for a pot-hangover.
Some say they get help from working out or running, simply getting fresh air through their foggy brains

When I had issues like that, in the long run I'd see no alternative to stopping cannabis use. Not every drug, even as widely used ones like pot, is made for everybody.

Some will never be able to feel what MJ has to give, some dislike the taste and/or buzz that alcohol produces.

The interesting thing is to find out the substance(s) that fits one's own personality (if any) at a given time. Drugs of Choice can change over the years, the same as personality in people changes, a substance that went along well with you five years ago can be extremely wrong, taken today under different preconditions.

One thing else has met my eye: I don't think it is very clever to counteract side effects of one drug by using a second one.
As above: smoked pot- head fuzzy-coffee won't work - take amphetamine?

TBBW

Post Quality Evaluations:
excellent and informative post in regards to the op's question.

Last edited by TheBigBadWolf; 12-04-2012 at 10:09. Reason: typo
Old 02-04-2012, 15:11

26 y/o Male from Australia
g33mt4z is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

-Start Quote-The effects of marijuana are the result of the complex interplay of dozens of cannabinoids, most of which are not fully understood. From the little reading I've done on the topic, my guess is that the sleepiness caused by marijuana is a result of the cannabinoids' antagonistic action on glutamate release. This is entirely speculative though.

How to combat the fatigue? Caffeine and sativa -End Quote-

source: totse2 is the site from a quick google search

This is the best explanation I got searching around quickly, will do more soon when I get home, And in my dogs experience, caffeine almost always lifts the fog. Info on cannabinoids can be found in the wiki
Old 03-04-2012, 04:25
Titanium Member

Male from Australia

Sincere thanks guys for the information so far, it is appreciated.

Yes my friend did think along the lines of trying amphetamine, after finding the amount of caffeine he tried insufficient. And yes this is not a good idea. He is not going to try any strong stimulants just to remove pot fog. Exercise is an idea he hadn't thought of.

He is using cannabis as a night alcohol substitute, after years of excessive drinking, so maybe he is also using too much in an attempt to force it to simulate the alcohol experience. This is the medical benefit I referred to. Cutting down, at least, is a good idea for him I think....quitting altogether would be even better, as long as the cravings to drink don't return in a big way.

Will also look up cannabinoid actions myself, but inhibiting glutamate release would seem to make sense as a mechanism of causing sedation. I recall reading that cannabis causes an increase in serotonin release or activity during the acute intoxication but leaves a deficit of serotonin later on, although not sure if this would actually cause a strong tiredness (although could explain feelings of depression and nervousness late in the day following smoking).

I now also have some extra information, which is directly relevant to this topic in case others read it:

1) The antidepressant bupropion (Wellbutrin, Zyban), 150 mg slow release, has greatly reduced the pot fogginess within an hour of taking it in the morning. More effective for my mate than caffeine. Of course the proper antidepressant action does not happen until the medication has been taken daily for days-weeks but it does exert enough immediate effect to help here, without feeling like a strong stimulant. I would have mentioned this in my first post but didn't think of it, because the effect was discovered accidentally a long time ago and my friend had forgotten until last night (he is not currently using bupropion).

2) Last night, a 50-50 mixture of cannabis and a synthetic cannabinoid herbal blend was made up and used in place of cannabis. Same amount as usual, 3-4 cones, smoked in half-cone hits each 20 minutes or so (this guy's tolerance is really low). Immediate effects were as positive as just using cannabis, in fact maybe more so, but with VASTLY reduced next-day fogginess (estimated only 1/4-1/3 as much tiredness). Although not wishing to recommend synthetics, and being very wary of them generally, this did work. I'm guessing the reason would be the shorter half life of the synthetic compared to natural cannabis. Unsure what JWH number (or AM-) was involved however (but will mention the trade name, not source, if anyone wants to know). By the way, same 5 mg diazepam was taken as usual when this test was done.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:55
Silver Member

53 y/o Male from United States
LaLaLander is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 60, Level: 1 Points: 60, Level: 1 Points: 60, Level: 1

Troppo, has your friend tried different strains of bud? I know that you said that the tiredness is the next day , but just as different strains cause different highs perhaps different strains will cause different "hang overs"....just a thought from LaLaLand
Old 03-04-2012, 11:53
Titanium Member

Male from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaLaLander View Post
Troppo, has your friend tried different strains of bud? I know that you said that the tiredness is the next day , but just as different strains cause different highs perhaps different strains will cause different "hang overs"....just a thought from LaLaLand
My mate has heard of this before, but not having been a big smoker most of his life, hasn't gone into it very far. It's about Indica v Sativa isn't it, and the amount of THC compared to cannabidiol in it? Thanks for bringing this up, he'll look into it. As far as I know, my friend probably has the same strain most times, as the tiredness is a very frequent after-effect and it seems similar in effects while smoking. Also his source is always the same, making it more likely to be the same strain regularly (although around here it's just sold as "pot", nobody specifies the actual strain in advance or talks about the strains that much).
Old 03-04-2012, 12:45
Titanium Member

Male from France
zerozerohero probably knows what they are talking about.zerozerohero probably knows what they are talking about.zerozerohero probably knows what they are talking about.zerozerohero probably knows what they are talking about.zerozerohero probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 545, Level: 3 Points: 545, Level: 3 Points: 545, Level: 3

IMHO, the only ways this effect is to be countered is either by getting used to the substance (which took me a couple of years i guess) or using stimulants, the most common of the latter being caffeine, which i find also to be extremely effective for this particular purpose.

Using sativas instead of indicas did never make any difference to the big user i used to be, and even today, i don't see the difference of effect on this particular side effect (while they are naturally very different when it comes to taste, high, etc.).
It has to be noted that most strains are not pure indicas or pure sativas and that different phenotypes of the said strains can produce plants that will exhibit more sativa or more indica caracteristics. In nature it is often the case: A plant that grows at low altitude will be very different from a plant growing in altitutde, even if they came from the same seeds for example. The differences will be exhibited, for example, through different leaf shapes, different hights, different shades of green etc. ... So i guess it is hard to determin what is what and who is who, especially when the black market is all that one has to get his gear from.

My bet is on coffee and less smoking before bedtime - while some find smoking immediately before bedtime a good idea, the quality of one's sleep is definitely greater when cannabis is not used right before bedtime. Sure, one might fall asleep easier, but it seems that cannabis messes with one's sleep phases (if i remember correctly). Staying hydrated also contributes to erase the apparent fatigue that comes with cannabis use.

In my case, cutting the last spliff before falling asleep has changed a lot of things and has contributed to the fact that i'm still using cannabis with great pleasure and with as good as no negative side effects today.
Old 03-04-2012, 14:02

Male from United Kingdom
TokeTillYaChoke is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Bernard eats chocolate to help wake him up, he says that sugar helps him alot with the comedown off cannabis.
Old 03-04-2012, 15:21
Silver Member

21 y/o Male from Canada
Holydiver is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1

A large coffee doesn't even budge me anymore, if anything it makes me more tired. Exercise is your best bet for the most healthy choice and least side effects and hey it's free! I go for a run almost everyday and i feel much better afterwords. He tries to leave about an hour and half after smoking before bed to get least side effects so the next day he doesn't feel like crap. Moral is that exercise is your friend.

Post Quality Evaluations:
great point - exercise is every drug user's best friend!
this is great advice, good post
Old 10-04-2012, 13:23
Titanium Member

Male from France
zerozerohero probably knows what they are talking about.zerozerohero probably knows what they are talking about.zerozerohero probably knows what they are talking about.zerozerohero probably knows what they are talking about.zerozerohero probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 545, Level: 3 Points: 545, Level: 3 Points: 545, Level: 3

^^+1 on that Holydiver
Old 11-04-2012, 05:00
Silver Member

Male from United States
nik12937 is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 165, Level: 2 Points: 165, Level: 2 Points: 165, Level: 2
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

I'm prescribed generic Adderall, so that pretty much negates tiredness of any kind, but caffeine pills (like a generic of No-Doz) with a multivitamin always worked wonders.

Exercise does wonders to your overall energy level and ability to overcome the "pot hangover", but I can't personally exercise if I'm already tired.

Maybe even look into L-Tyrosine, take it on an empty stomach in the morning and wait 45 min to an hour before eating (so it's all absorbed and doesn't compete with other proteins in food for enzymes), you should feel VERY alert and focused, and overall have more energy.

I take L-Tyrosine regularly because I find the increased levels of Dopamine and other hormones to improve the effectiveness of my Adderall to a noticeable extent, but even before I was prescribed that, it helped with my chronic fatigue greatly and even my mild depression to some extent. If you do so, try a dose of 500mg-1000mg first to see how your body reacts, it has occasionally given me mild tachycardia.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:03
Silver Member

27 y/o Male from United States
Zhekarius is captain of the psychonauts.Zhekarius is captain of the psychonauts.Zhekarius is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 818, Level: 4 Points: 818, Level: 4 Points: 818, Level: 4

My friend has found that a combination of a bearably cold shower followed by some morning stretches helps him to fight the lethargy brought about by cannabis, I don't know if it would help you but I thought I'd share that with you all the same.

Share this on: