Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Opiates & Opioids > Heroin
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 01-04-2012, 16:29
Palladium Member

Female from USA - Washington
sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.
Points: 1,697, Level: 6 Points: 1,697, Level: 6 Points: 1,697, Level: 6
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Your Road to Heroin Addiction

I was watching an excellent documentary on PBS the other night.
I started wondering how the statistics
stated in the program would compare to addicts/recovered addicts here on this forum.
I hope this is not too much questioning (for one thread)

First, were you addicted to prescription opiates before starting heroin? And was the primary reason for switching to heroin the cost of prescription pills?

And if it applies, were you prescribed those for a legitimate problem, and the use got out of hand?

I am just curious really, because it's not something I have any experience with.
Old 01-04-2012, 16:35
About DF,Various & German
Co-Moderator

Male from Earth
Mersann really knows their shit.Mersann really knows their shit.Mersann really knows their shit.Mersann really knows their shit.Mersann really knows their shit.Mersann really knows their shit.Mersann really knows their shit.Mersann really knows their shit.Mersann really knows their shit.
Points: 2,220, Level: 7 Points: 2,220, Level: 7 Points: 2,220, Level: 7
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%
Re: Your Road to Heroin Addiction

You should consider having a poll added to this thread by asking a moderator. Of course, you won't be able to capture every obscure possibility with it, but that's why you should always include an "Other" option.
Old 02-04-2012, 00:54
Palladium Member

Female from USA - Washington
sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.
Points: 1,697, Level: 6 Points: 1,697, Level: 6 Points: 1,697, Level: 6

Thank you Mers... I was thinking about it but was short on time to learn how to start a poll, perhaps later today I can still give it a whirl, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mersann View Post
You should consider having a poll added to this thread by asking a moderator. Of course, you won't be able to capture every obscure possibility with it, but that's why you should always include an "Other" option.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:21
Silver Member

Male from United States
SkipBrutale is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 384, Level: 3 Points: 384, Level: 3 Points: 384, Level: 3

For Swim he started with h didnt do any prescription stuff first.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:23
Palladium Member

24 y/o Female from United States
runnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medline
Points: 4,036, Level: 9 Points: 4,036, Level: 9 Points: 4,036, Level: 9
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%

I was never prescribed anything (besides benzos) before I started using heroin.

Even now I have no interest in pain medication.

It seems to me that most people use pain medication when they can't get heroin and not the other way around as heroin is cheaper and easier to find. Plus even though many people recognize they are addicted to their pain medication I'd be the majority are too turned off on the stigma of heroin to even consider using it except for extreme circumstances. But that's just what I've seen.
Old 04-04-2012, 20:55
Titanium Member

Male from United Kingdom
Qualityplant really adds to the discussion.Qualityplant really adds to the discussion.Qualityplant really adds to the discussion.Qualityplant really adds to the discussion.Qualityplant really adds to the discussion.Qualityplant really adds to the discussion.
Points: 1,079, Level: 5 Points: 1,079, Level: 5 Points: 1,079, Level: 5
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

i started with poppy tea then tried h a couple of times, then back to codiene and poppy tea and then back to h and stuck with that apart from a bit of morphine when i could get it
Old 04-04-2012, 21:13
Silver Member

Female from United States
slay13 is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 201, Level: 2 Points: 201, Level: 2 Points: 201, Level: 2

I wonder about this too. Will the upsurge in prescription drug abuse, opiates in particular, cause an influx of heroin addicts in the near future? I know this is the road I took to my short fling with heroin. Started out occasionally taking hydrocodones from my dad's script, moved on to buying and splitting a few roxy thirties with some friends. The crazy thing is that I hated them at first. Made me puke for hours. But being the stubborn ass that I am, I continued doing them until splitting anything would have been completely out of the question. I was hooked after a few months, needles and all. Then about one year and one possession charge later, "dude" loaded me a shot of "that boy", or what we folks here in the south refer to as heroin. And that was all she wrote. I've been clean from everything for two months and still think about that boy all the time. I'd be willing to bet, after my experiences and speaking with others in my court ordered counseling classes, that we'll be seeing a lot more heroin addicts in the near future who took the road from milder opiates to one of the most taboo of all drugs.
Old 04-04-2012, 22:19
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

NefariousCupcake is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 37, Level: 1 Points: 37, Level: 1 Points: 37, Level: 1
Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7%

My friend never abused prescription opiates. In fact, she's never even been a huge opiate fan. Heroin is.....different.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:32
Silver Member

47 y/o Male from Australia
Black Transit Blues is a decent psychonaut.Black Transit Blues is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 146, Level: 1 Points: 146, Level: 1 Points: 146, Level: 1
Activity: 4.8% Activity: 4.8% Activity: 4.8%

Yeh it was straight to iv Heroin for me,after a quick fling with iv meth which I never liked much and just did because it was "cool" amongst the crowd I was hanging with at the time.

Heroin wasn't cool it was regarded as a drug for losers, but unlike meth I liked it.After starting with Heroin , I always found the other opiates oxy and the like pretty disappointing, last resort stuff If things were really dry or I was really broke and ready for some "Doctor shopping".
Old 05-04-2012, 15:54
Silver Member

21 y/o Female from United States
Tdogg49 is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 208, Level: 2 Points: 208, Level: 2 Points: 208, Level: 2
Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9%

My friend went straight for the heroin. She has tried a few other opiate medications since, but they're just not the same. I think most people have done other drugs before heroin, but not necessarily opiate medications. My friend tried a few other drugs before heroin, but I wouldn't say that any of them led her to use heroin, other than perhaps opening her up to the drug world.
Old 05-04-2012, 17:24
Silver Member

47 y/o Male from Australia
Black Transit Blues is a decent psychonaut.Black Transit Blues is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 146, Level: 1 Points: 146, Level: 1 Points: 146, Level: 1
Activity: 4.8% Activity: 4.8% Activity: 4.8%

Weed indirectly led me to Heroin because it took me into the world of illegal street drugs.I was sixteen when I first smoked weed and at that stage would never have dreamed of sticking a needle in my arm.

Eighteen months later I was shooting speed and I was nineteen when I first tried Heroin.Most people just settled for weed and dropping the odd trip but unfortunately I was not one of them.

Unfortunately I hated weed I only persisted with it because I wanted to hang with the "hip" crowd that smoked it.If like a lot of people I had actually liked it I may well have been content to stop there and would have saved myself a whole lot of grief.
Old 05-04-2012, 18:10
Silver Member

21 y/o Female from United States
Tdogg49 is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 208, Level: 2 Points: 208, Level: 2 Points: 208, Level: 2
Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9%

BTB - My friend can relate. Weed was the first drug that she tried. She never really liked it, but didn't mind it. Over time she disliked it more and more. She can barely stand the smell of it anymore, it just gives her a headache. Then she found heroin. It took her a while to actually find someone that would hook her up, because she was only 16 at the time, but she got her hands on some. She never injected, but still to this days hates weed and loves heroin.

Her boyfriend smokes a lot of weed, and everytime he offers she says no, and he mocks her and says why not its better than heroin and yada yada. He just doesn't understand, though she tries to explain to him that he has DOC and she has her DOC. Ugghhh Men.
Old 05-04-2012, 18:10
Titanium Member

29 y/o Female from United Kingdom
sweetsugar is a decent psychonaut.sweetsugar is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 351, Level: 3 Points: 351, Level: 3 Points: 351, Level: 3

It was SWIMs ex fella who introduced her to heroin, after dabbleing with it for a few years via smoking it, (SWIM has never used in any other way) evenually led to an addiction (for both swim and her fella) which screwd up swim's relationship of 9 yrs - the last couple of years of trying to get clean, swim beat it, but her fella couldnt and went on to IV.

SWIMs mother takes pain relief via prescription - 60mg Dihydrocodiene when needed - repeat prescription. She's been taking them for about half a year now, possibly longer, and she is certainly psychologically addicted. (shes started to stash her pills and lie that she has them...) swim has sat her down numerous amount of times to talk about addiction- to her not wanting to hear none of it. swim doubts her mother will start using heroin, but she has said in conversation about her 'pain' that she may need something stronger I.E; Oramorph!!

What can ya do!
Old 05-04-2012, 18:16
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

NefariousCupcake is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 37, Level: 1 Points: 37, Level: 1 Points: 37, Level: 1
Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7%

On the subject of Cannabis usage relating to H:

My friend loves some Cannabis and H. Cannabis is amazing at combating nausea (that H is notorious for at times) and in her opinion sometimes "brings the high up a bit" (obviously not, it's the cannabis but it still feels good and is a natural and safe combo).

She used to hate cannabis and it actually would CAUSE anxiety attacks. She still hates the smell but Chronic usually has a much different taste than commercial weed does (chronic will stink up a room though lol). That's my friend's least fave thing about weed - the smell, the taste....yuck. My friend thinks people who like the taste and smell might be crazy...like her partner. She obviously is not a true stoner lol

My friend sticks to high quality Indica strains now and doesn't seem to have the anxiety problem and now really enjoys cannabis. Maybe your friend needs to shop around if they haven't already? Bad weed (or even commercial) can really mess up one's thinking regarding Mary Jane.

Last edited by NefariousCupcake; 05-04-2012 at 18:25.
Old 05-04-2012, 18:36
Titanium Member

east_of_eden really adds to the discussion.east_of_eden really adds to the discussion.east_of_eden really adds to the discussion.east_of_eden really adds to the discussion.east_of_eden really adds to the discussion.east_of_eden really adds to the discussion.
Points: 813, Level: 4 Points: 813, Level: 4 Points: 813, Level: 4
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%

A poll would be interesting to see if there is a correlation between age and whether or not people started with oxys (or something similar) then went to heroin.

From my experience, it seems that younger people (late teens, early twenties) are more likely to have started with pharmaceuticals then went to heroin.

When swim started, she was much like Black Transit Blues ... her first drug was meth, which quickly became IV, all of her friends were doing speed at the time. It was everywhere. Heroin was still thought of as the "bad drug", very taboo, not a "cool", socially acceptable drug in her circle, but she had a strong emotional/destructively intellectual pull to it and sought it out herself.

She's heard a lot of people say they were always going to be a heroin addict (or something like that) and although she never saw herself becoming an "addict", she always had an interest in heroin and it was like they had a pre-destined meeting already arranged and it was just a matter of time ..... so even though it wasn't "the thing to do" at that time, in her group of friends, she was kind of a trend setter (what a horrible way to put it), in that almost everyone around her changed their tastes and heroin slowly took the place of speed and became the drug of choice in her scene.

She, nor any of her friends, had started with prescription pills. They dove head first into heroin, but she thinks a lot of this had to do with the times. People just weren't doing pills 18 years ago like they are now. After heroin addiction took hold, she or other people would sometimes come up with some pills (dilaudid, vicoden, etc., whatever was around) to supplement the lean times when they were broke and needed to get through the day but that was only to keep them well enough to go out and find some money/heroin. Pills were never a satisfactory replacement for the real thing.

Post Quality Evaluations:
I love the way you talk about the pull of H, even brfore trying it. I identify, for sure.
Old 18-04-2012, 09:55
Silver Member

35 y/o Female from United States
lovage is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 120, Level: 1 Points: 120, Level: 1 Points: 120, Level: 1

SWIM started using H first when she was very young. She only uses prescription opiates when she is out of H and has no other options. However she has many friends who got hooked on oxycontin either from a valid prescription or recreational use and switched to H because they could not afford the street prices of oxys.

Share this on:

Tags
heroin, prescription opiates