Register Tags

Notices

Old 30-03-2012, 18:08

22 y/o Male from Romania
livespd is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 111, Level: 1 Points: 111, Level: 1 Points: 111, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Tramadol WITHDRAWAL

Someone really thought that he had Serotonin Syndrome when he abruptly stop using Tramadol after some tolerance, let's say like using about 500-600 mg/day. Man that was some withdrawal!! Scared the shit out of him, he was convinced he has the syndrome, went to the hospital where the paramedic said to him to chill out. That was a reactive reaction which appears in withdrawal at large tolerance.
The evolution is benign, the symptoms (Spasms, Seizures, Dilated Pupils, inability to walk or move, deep bone pain, runny nose and tears and other shit ) are reducing every day. My w/d kept around 4 days. Oh, and the depression, due to the lack of serotonin production. Eat chocolate, drink a lot (A LOT) of water, APAP with pseudo-ephedrine (Para-Sinus) if you have, soups, everything to transpire. Withdrawal seems scary like hell the first time, but keep in mind this gets better everyday. Good luck!

livespd added 1 Minutes and 4 Seconds later...

It may be a good idea to stick this post, since Tramadol is some tricky shit to withdraw from.

Last edited by livespd; 30-03-2012 at 18:08. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 30-03-2012, 18:33
Platinum Member & Advisor

38 y/o Male from Ireland
ianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 19,548, Level: 20 Points: 19,548, Level: 20 Points: 19,548, Level: 20
Activity: 100.0% Activity: 100.0% Activity: 100.0%
Re: Tramadol WITHDRAWAL

How would someone get Seratonin Syndrome from stopping use?
It is something that tends to result from combining drugs that increase seratonin levels, or to a lesser extend from a single drug.
What lead you to believe you were suffering from it when stopping tramadol?

Post Quality Evaluations:
Very well pointed out, and very relevant here.
Old 30-03-2012, 23:02
Silver Member

21 y/o Male from United States
StonedStupid is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 44, Level: 1 Points: 44, Level: 1 Points: 44, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Tramadol withdrawal is honestly the worst withdrawal I have gone through. At one point in time I was taking doses upwards/above 1000mg. Which is severly idiotic and extremely dangerous, so to anybody reading this and thinking it'll be safe because I'm still here typing, it's not!!. This drug changed my personality after the long course of it's use. I don't know if that is due to serotonin syndrome that somehow went un-noticed[note: I don't know if that is possible], or if the constant intake of extremely high doses of an SNRI somehow permenantly altered my brain chemistry.

Anyhow, after I came off of my 700-1000mg+ per day! Habit, I suffered possibly the worst withdrawals any person could imagine. I suffered from "brain shocks", feelings of electricity jolting throughout my body, constant body aches and pains of a severe degree, cold chills, cold sweats, inability to move due to the massive amount of pain, strange twitch movements, inability to sleep, constipation that resulted in 3+ weeks of not being able to pass a bowel movement[eventual shit induced by laxatives and stool softeners still resulted in nearly tearing my asshole open from the most painful shit anybody could imagine to endure, sorry for the disguistingly graphic description], as well as many other equally horrific symptoms. This lasted for WEEKS! After the most recent suffer of withdrawal I swore never to touch this horrible drug again.

It can be used safely and be enjoyed. But please do not make this drug a habit, as you will quickly fall into dependence and the withdrawal is the worst one could ever imagine yo endure from an opiate.

helpful and true information about the misery of withdrawal
Helpful and detailed, cautionary, as ive been prescribed and have a high qty of this drug
great cautionary tale - I can't imagine taking 1000mg even once, let along every day...
Old 08-04-2012, 00:19

Male from United States
dlink01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1

As others have said, the w/d from Tramadol can be the most miserable few days if not weeks of your life.

I was taking 1250mg per day for 2 years and decided I had had enough one day and just stopped. I told my family/friends about my addiction (they didnt know) and they all helped me get through the few MISERABLE days. I got zero sleep for a week, was not comfortable whatsoever for a week, had SEVERE restless syndrome at all hours, and the chills were the worst I had ever encountered.

I frankly don't care how "high" I could ever get off Tramadol....the w/d week was enough to make me never want to see that pill again

BE....CAREFUL
Old 15-06-2012, 22:47
Silver Member

58 y/o Male from United States
edgewise1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by StonedStupid View Post
Tramadol withdrawal is honestly the worst withdrawal I have gone through. At one point in time I was taking doses upwards/above 1000mg. Which is severly idiotic and extremely dangerous, so to anybody reading this and thinking it'll be safe because I'm still here typing, it's not!!. This drug changed my personality after the long course of it's use. I don't know if that is due to serotonin syndrome that somehow went un-noticed[note: I don't know if that is possible], or if the constant intake of extremely high doses of an SNRI somehow permenantly altered my brain chemistry.

Anyhow, after I came off of my 700-1000mg+ per day! Habit, I suffered possibly the worst withdrawals any person could imagine. I suffered from "brain shocks", feelings of electricity jolting throughout my body, constant body aches and pains of a severe degree, cold chills, cold sweats, inability to move due to the massive amount of pain, strange twitch movements, inability to sleep, constipation that resulted in 3+ weeks of not being able to pass a bowel movement[eventual shit induced by laxatives and stool softeners still resulted in nearly tearing my asshole open from the most painful shit anybody could imagine to endure, sorry for the disguistingly graphic description], as well as many other equally horrific symptoms. This lasted for WEEKS! After the most recent suffer of withdrawal I swore never to touch this horrible drug again.

It can be used safely and be enjoyed. But please do not make this drug a habit, as you will quickly fall into dependence and the withdrawal is the worst one could ever imagine yo endure from an opiate.

Just so you know ss, this picture will always be in my head.

High doses are extremely hard to come off of, especially going cold turkey! I'm glad you were able to do that, as I'm not sure I could. My use has been as high as 2000 mg a day, but I have brought it down to 1000 mg in the past year. Been on this stuff for over 10 years for real pain issue's but it spiraled out of control as tolerance built up. I'm trying to get it down to 400mg's a day and stay for a while before reducing down further, and then jumping off. I am sick and tired of having to plan my day's around this shit, and spending $600+ a month on it!!

Good info for someone trying to get off this med
Old 18-06-2012, 02:12
Titanium Member

32 y/o Male from Netherlands
Gryzor is captain of the psychonauts.Gryzor is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 257, Level: 2 Points: 257, Level: 2 Points: 257, Level: 2
Activity: 2.0% Activity: 2.0% Activity: 2.0%

A general rule of thumb with Tramadol is NEVER FUCKING COLD TURKEY as 9 chemicals in your head are going to be in turmoil.
The 2nd general rule of pinky is to taper off it at least 1/4 the time you were on it. Venlafaxine is almost identical to tramadol and belongs in its drug family of which there are only 4, one of which is the new Tapentadol a drug derived from tramadol. Both tramadol & venlafaxine are used vice versa off label for getting clean off either.
Careful mixing or better yet don't only if you've been a very high dosage user & have built a huge tolerance to them as we don't want any serotonin syndrome and if this is done it needs to be under a shrinks supervision.
Venlafaxine is roughly 3-4x more potent than tramadol but there are no charts available to show relative strengths on noradrenalin or serotonin etc. Loperamide might come in handy as well.
Old 25-06-2012, 13:59

Female from Bermuda
Hixxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1

For some reason I feel the tramadol that my green rat has access too is not the same one supplied in the U.S. The things I've been reading about it on this forum just make no connection to what my green rat feels at all. The Tramadol my greet rat gets is supplied from Iran. Maybe its polluted or fake, he might give that up. What do you guys think?
Old 25-06-2012, 19:47
Titanium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hixxx View Post
For some reason I feel the tramadol that my green rat has access too is not the same one supplied in the U.S. The things I've been reading about it on this forum just make no connection to what my green rat feels at all. The Tramadol my greet rat gets is supplied from Iran. Maybe its polluted or fake, he might give that up. What do you guys think?
The original brand Grunenthal is by far the strongest I've tried aka Tramal. I've probably tried ~8 different brands most being similar but one or two defo being weaker particularly with its opioid effect, those were Indian & possibly Thai. An Asian on here once told me he uses it off-label for depression as do I, prescribed, and 2/12 worked for him. It is a very cheap drug to manufacture however and its extremely rare to hear of bunk pills.
Old 26-06-2012, 13:29
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

23 y/o Male from United States
weilman should review received reputation comments.

A friend took 1600mg of tramadol yesterday afternoon, and night. Now they Cannot pee...they're really worried and don't know how long this disfunction will continuel!..will they be okay???
Old 26-06-2012, 18:10
Titanium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weilman View Post
A friend took 1600mg of tramadol yesterday afternoon, and night. Now they Cannot pee...they're really worried and don't know how long this disfunction will continuel!..will they be okay???
Thats due to raised noradrenaline levels, the same affect can occur with anti-depressants that act heavily on noradreanline. About 6-9 hrs normally but 12hrs as thats a tremendous amount, let us know when he can piss again.
Old 29-06-2012, 21:00

28 y/o Male from Slovakia
Tabun needs to post very carefully to avoid a ban by negative reputation.

hi there guys,Swim has a little problem.swim uses about 150 mg tramadol -extended release one pill morning and about 2 mg sometimes 2,25-2,50 mg alprazolam later in the day.it gonna be several months now ,it s daily use btw
could he try to stop cold turkey with both or tramadol first then alprazolam few days later?
what s your opinions?

off-topic question that should be in its own thread
Old 29-06-2012, 22:16
Titanium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabun View Post
hi there guys,Swim has a little problem.swim uses about 150 mg tramadol -extended release one pill morning and about 2 mg sometimes 2,25-2,50 mg alprazolam later in the day.it gonna be several months now ,it s daily use btw
could he try to stop cold turkey with both or tramadol first then alprazolam few days later?
what s your opinions?
If you want to experience hell on earth go ahead and stop both cold turkey, actually either cold turkey and its going to be a very rough few weeks re: tram, months re: xanax.
Tramadol at 150 ER aint too bad a dose and time of use so I'd get rid of that one first, take at least 3 weeks to taper off it preferably 6 to come out unscathe. Venlaxfaxine can help a lot if youget a bad withdrawal 37.5mg sub-therapeutic dose as they are very similar drugs.
Xanax/benzos are the worst drug ever to cold turkey and tapering isn't exactly easy either for almost all the population. I'd try get diazepam to taper off as xanax has a short half life, seizures unlikely to happen with your length of use and dose but its a very serious withdrawal.
Average rule of thumb is 1/4 of the time your on a drug is the time necessary for recovery but with benzos who knows. I've come off both and don't have time right now to go indepth so feel free to ask.
Old 03-07-2012, 23:35
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

23 y/o Male from United States
weilman should review received reputation comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryzor View Post
Thats due to raised noradrenaline levels, the same affect can occur with anti-depressants that act heavily on noradreanline. About 6-9 hrs normally but 12hrs as thats a tremendous amount, let us know when he can piss again.
He was able to piss again the next day some but it was very difficult and consitipated like.
Old 26-07-2012, 01:35

Female from United States
GirlAnachronism is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1
Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4%

SWIM came down with Serotonin Syndrome from taking Tramadol and had to start weaning off of it immediately. There is no way you could have gotten Serotonin Syndrome from coming off of Tramadol. Though SWIM thinks that the symptoms of both may be similar.

The withdrawal is horrible. SWIM is still going through the withdrawal, and has been off of it for four months. SWIM thinks that the withdrawal may possibly be worse than heroin withdrawal, because Tramadol is also an SNRI as well as an opiate.

When SWIM withdrew from Tramadol, he experienced brain/heart "shocks", alternating diarrhea and constipation, sweats, insomnia, restless legs, twitching, extreme muscle spasms, muscle pain, vomiting, cravings for the drug, nightmares about opiates, anxiety, irregular heart beat, mood swings, chills, sneezing, a seizure during the first week of withdrawal, etc.

SWIM didn't even go off of Tramadol cold turkey. He came down from taking 100mg every 4-6hrs a day to 25mg every 7 hours, over the course of about 5 weeks or so.

Be careful with this drug. There are a lot better things you can find to use for recreation. You have to treat the withdrawal like opiate withdrawal...but worse. SWIM thinks that Cannabis and Benzos can greatly help one get through the withdrawal of Tramadol.

GirlAnachronism added 2 Minutes and 47 Seconds later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hixxx View Post

It may not be real Tramadol. Are they capsules or tablets?

Last edited by GirlAnachronism; 26-07-2012 at 01:35. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 21-10-2012, 23:18

29 y/o Female from United States
failed_panda needs to post very carefully to avoid a ban by negative reputation.
Points: 49, Level: 1 Points: 49, Level: 1 Points: 49, Level: 1
Activity: 1.7% Activity: 1.7% Activity: 1.7%

I am very worried right now. I am prone to severe withdrawals already, and my Dr. just put me on MAX Tramadol for chronic pain, but I do not want to take it if it has WDs as bad as you all describe! I am trying to get her to shift me onto Hydrocodone, but I seem to have a tendency to abuse them. I don't have that urge with Tramadol, but still don't want to take the chance of severe WDs. My body has been through way too much and I honestly doubt I could survive another detox like that. Right now she has me on 100mg 4x a day, but I am typically using 200mg 2x a day instead, because I sleep so much I am not awake to take more doses. I have 280 pills right now, so if I did get the urge to abuse them, it likely wouldn't be hard to do. I really prefer hydrocodone because it helps my pain a lot more and gives me more energy, where all other opioids make me too tired.

Please don't cross-post. Keep your question to a single thread so that the responses are not fragmented.
Old 25-10-2012, 00:19

25 y/o Male from United States
Dissociation should review received reputation comments.
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6%

swim went though withdrawl on tramadol cuz swim had to go to jail. it took about 3 weeks to start sleeping ok.

Please try to add more of an explanation rather than a one line statement to your responses
Old 25-10-2012, 20:55
Titanium Member

Cold turkey Tramadol is almost as bad as a benzo withdrawal which I personally consider the worst drug withdrawal but if you taper Tramadol it is actually quite easy or very do-able and certainly easier than almost all other opioids/opiates to get off. This is from personal experience and literature about the drug I've read talking.
For some reason Tramadol dosage can be reduced quite dramatically without any symptoms occuring but the last 150mg or so can be very difficult even nearing the end of a taper.
Venlafaxine & loperamide can help a lot with Tramadol withdrawal/tapering especiallyif rapid. Venlafaxine is possibly a semi-copy of Tramadol - they are related with only 2 others in the class.
I guesstimate 200mg of tram = 75mg venlafaxine something my shrink went along with and it nullifies the SNRI wd from tramadol with loperamide slightly easing the opioid withdrawal.
Bare in mind last time i checked tramadol hits 9 chemicals in your brain, no wonder its a rough as hell wd.
Old 01-11-2012, 21:32

GirlAnachronism is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1
Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryzor View Post
Cold turkey Tramadol is almost as bad as a benzo withdrawal which I personally consider the worst drug withdrawal but if you taper Tramadol it is actually quite easy or very do-able and certainly easier than almost all other opioids/opiates to get off. This is from personal experience and literature about the drug I've read talking.
For some reason Tramadol dosage can be reduced quite dramatically without any symptoms occuring but the last 150mg or so can be very difficult even nearing the end of a taper.
Venlafaxine & loperamide can help a lot with Tramadol withdrawal/tapering especiallyif rapid. Venlafaxine is possibly a semi-copy of Tramadol - they are related with only 2 others in the class.
I guesstimate 200mg of tram = 75mg venlafaxine something my shrink went along with and it nullifies the SNRI wd from tramadol with loperamide slightly easing the opioid withdrawal.
Bare in mind last time i checked tramadol hits 9 chemicals in your brain, no wonder its a rough as hell wd.

Personally, I feel as though Tramadol withdrawal was worse than benzo withdrawal. At least for me. I think you're wrong in saying that Tramadol is easier to get off of than other opiates. For me, it was harder to get off of than heroin. Also, it has anti-depressant properties, so when you withdraw from Tramadol, it's like going through withdrawal from an SNRI and an opiate at the same time. I came off of Tramadol very slowly, and still went through the worse withdrawal of my life for 6 months. I was on about 600mg-800mg a day for two years. I wouldn't throw any other drugs in the mix when withdrawing from it either. A lot of people end up taking other opiates/SNRIs to withdraw from Tramadol, but then end up getting addicted to those instead.

A lot of the information I've read about Tramadol online, and from what I've heard from doctors, kind of downplays the withdrawal symptoms and effects wd can have on you. I think it's a lot worse than anyone makes it sound.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:02
Titanium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlAnachronism View Post
Personally, I feel as though Tramadol withdrawal was worse than benzo withdrawal. At least for me. I think you're wrong in saying that Tramadol is easier to get off of than other opiates. For me, it was harder to get off of than heroin. Also, it has anti-depressant properties, so when you withdraw from Tramadol, it's like going through withdrawal from an SNRI and an opiate at the same time. I came off of Tramadol very slowly, and still went through the worse withdrawal of my life for 6 months. I was on about 600mg-800mg a day for two years. I wouldn't throw any other drugs in the mix when withdrawing from it either. A lot of people end up taking other opiates/SNRIs to withdraw from Tramadol, but then end up getting addicted to those instead.

A lot of the information I've read about Tramadol online, and from what I've heard from doctors, kind of downplays the withdrawal symptoms and effects wd can have on you. I think it's a lot worse than anyone makes it sound.
Its easier to TAPER off only, countless people I've seen say its worse than heroin for example to cold turkey and I'd believe it. You were using a very high dose at up to 800mg so I'm not really that surprised you found it so bad but it also comes down to the individual as in what do they suffer from are they depressed etc. 800mg to me is like having a heavy opiate habit combined with taking venlafaxine (SNRI) at 300mg a day so its a batshit crazy wd/taper. Tramadol is considered a serotonin releasing agent and not SRI which makes it even worse again. 9 chemicals in your head it acts upon....
It is in the literature and from personal experience (I used it 5-6 years got off it 3 times and still do use it - prescribed for treatment resistant depression @400mg/day but was self medicating at 500mg a day) you can go from say 10x50mg a day to 6 x 50mg a day and won't experience any physical withdrawal but at 600-800mg/day I'm thinking you probably would notice withdrawal effects within 18 hours with such a habit. As when I did take doses in those ranges either mistakenly or rarely purposely about 12-16 hours later I'd start getting opioid withdrawal effects

I would still say an equivalent benzo addiction and going cold turkey on it would wreak far more havoc for the majority - imagine cold turkeying a 2 year 6-8 mg xanax habit - not that you can really compare tramadol to a benzo for dose equivalence. You'd be in seizureville and I'd say could go at least 5 days without 1 hour of sleep. I have anyway on lower doses of longer acting benzos. Its not pretty trying to sleep coming off Tramadol either.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:10
Silver Member

Male from United Kingdom
cockney is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 125, Level: 1 Points: 125, Level: 1 Points: 125, Level: 1

No one should cold turkey off tramadol it really is one hell of a rattle. As some said above its relatively easy to come down to around 150mg which leads people into false sense of security. If you get to 150mg with no wd don't push for 100mg to fast, you need to stabilize at that dose for around a week IME, this allows for your body to expel any built up chemicals / metabolites before your main push.
I would now reduce by no more than 25mg every three to four days, this may mean splitting you tablets or capsules. If 25mg is too much them split your (presumably) 50mg tablet or capsules into three. The trick I have found here, and I have withdrawn many times is to vary the times you take your dose, not only has your body got used to being fed its most likely been fed at around the same time. I have said this before and can offer no scientific or medical proof this helps but from personal experience it really does.
The wall people hit at around 150mg reappears at 50mg for me and I believe this is common. Again stabalize at this dose and divide your doses, this is easier with capsules and I remove roughly 1/5 of the powder so the dose is 40mg, next remove 2/5's etc. I have tried to jump off at this point and its had to imagine but still went into with drawl..
The key points here are to take it slow, stay focused on why your stopping and most important stabalize for a few days at any point your feeling sick before carrying on. Stick to this and you will come off pretty painlessly, go cold and you will regret it and probably spook yourself into never trying again it really can be that bad.

Good, detailed advice on a difficult drug to come off of.
Old 07-11-2012, 19:57
Silver Member

Male from United States
firehouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 23, Level: 1 Points: 23, Level: 1 Points: 23, Level: 1

I appear to be the exception but I did 50-100mg of Tram a day for more than 6 months and was able to come off of it cold turkey with almost no problems. I did simultaneously start taking Prozac which may have stabilized the SSRI part of my brain chemistry, but I am so glad to say that I apparently I was not physically addicted.
Old 08-11-2012, 21:46
Titanium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehouse View Post
I appear to be the exception but I did 50-100mg of Tram a day for more than 6 months and was able to come off of it cold turkey with almost no problems. I did simultaneously start taking Prozac which may have stabilized the SSRI part of my brain chemistry, but I am so glad to say that I apparently I was not physically addicted.
I was just going to bring that up as I said and another user just said above the last 150mgs are very difficult to come off but since its a low dose and if the person has been using Tramadol a long time & especially in higher doses, an anti-depressant in low dose, preferably venlafaxine - as its so similar to tramadol but the con to that AD is its half life is short. Prozac, used for so called SSRI discontinuation syndrome like valium is for benzo tapering, with its long half life could be added in low dose as it would be highly unlikely to cause serotonin syndrome in people who have used tramadol in high amounts or even SNRIs/SSRIs before.

Serotonin syndrome is over rated & rare in the sense that people build tolerance to it also by using ADs and other serotogenic drugs. Similarly those older MAOI anti-depressants only caused 100 deaths worldwide when eaten with wrong foods (tyramine) and so on. Mixed with other modern AD's however.... I wouldn't like either to happen to me however...

My shrink put me and cross taper of tramadol/venlafaxine after i pointed the structural similarities out to him. Approx 200mg tram = 75mg venlafaxine was my guesstimate which he went along with but try find the lowest amount that stops the zaps, possibly 37.5mgs would be enough. Loperamide reduced opioid wd for me, surprisingly effective it was.

If people are wondering why its such a bad cold turkey just go on wikipedia and look at the 9 neurotransmitters/chemicals it interferes with in your brain. It isn't just the SNRI/SRA and opioid properties.
Old 08-11-2012, 23:20
Silver Member

Male from United Kingdom
cockney is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 125, Level: 1 Points: 125, Level: 1 Points: 125, Level: 1

The frightening thing here is doctors attitudes to this drug and the belief there is little to no addiction potential and that its OK to come off it with no taper. From personal experience and what I read here too there also seems to be so much prescribing alongside other ssri's which is a clear contradiction on the information leaflet. Once I was prescribed citalopram alongside these and within 24 hours had every symptom of serotonin syndrome and was ordered off them immediately by another doctor and to go to hospital if I didn't feel more normal the following day. My regular doctor then wanted to try yet another ssri in case the pain, or part of it was in my head apparently. Clueless to the possible link of the terrible reaction I had.
Pain patients should be sent to a pms as soon as it becomes apparent the patient will require more than codeine ( sorry not sure of regional equivalent) and a full list of other medications made available to them so we can be safely treated instead of having who knows what added to the mix because of some obscure off label use that will prove cheaper to the business, sorry medical practice
Old 13-01-2013, 00:59
Silver Member

killerzoey is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 31, Level: 1 Points: 31, Level: 1 Points: 31, Level: 1
Activity: 2.2% Activity: 2.2% Activity: 2.2%

Hello

I'm coming off Tramadol (at least that's what I hope) and I just want to say that I've learned a lot reading on this site. I bought a bunch of Immodium tablets, Benadryl, and supplements. I have been taking apprx. 500-600mg per day for a year. Maybe more some days--I just took them randomly whenever it occurred to me, other than the for-sure morning dose.

Maybe sharing my experience here will help someone else. No one around me knows what I'm going through (kids, significant other) so it's nice to be able to chat about it, too.

What I'm trying to do is taper over to hydros (I have a script for 5/500 hydrocodones) and an SSRI (Zoloft) and Wellbutrin, which I believe acts on nor-epinephrine and dopamine...and gives energy. My thinking is that if I can first migrate over to these scripts and stabilize, I'll have an easier time. I've quit the hydros and been on these antidepressants before and stopped them. I have been through SSRI "discontinuation syndrome" as they like to call it, and it's not fun. So doing that with the opiate-like withdrawals? No thank you! Divide and conquer--that's what I'm thinking.

In case it helps anyone, by the way, the trick for me for getting off my SSRI was to first taper way down and then take a single Prozac. With its long half-life, it tapers itself down beautifully. I just couldn't get off the damn Zoloft even after tapering until I was just nipping the edge of the pill for my daily dose! Weird. This experience definitely informed my decision making in getting off Tramadol. I learned that some things are really easy to taper but almost impossible to jump off totally, and that sometimes there really IS a silver bullet that will help if you just do enough Googling

Today is Saturday and I started tapering on Sunday. I didn't mean to taper this quickly, but just for shits and giggles I wanted to see if I could get away with just taking 5. NOOOOO problem, though I don't think I've taken that little for a long long time. So the next day I took 3. Probably didn't feel great, but totally do-able. Started doing Benadryl at night about then. The next day I think I took 4, and started tapering in the hydro. Took one 5mg in two doses. The following day (Thursday) I took no Tramadol, but I took 1.5 hydros. Yesterday (Friday) I did the exact same thing but added a full hydro at night for a total of 2.5 hydros that day. I added the night dose because I had to take a scary amount of Benadryl to relax the previous night.

Yesterday, at 36 hours since my last Tram (which was really half a Tram, so 25 mg) I took a 50mg Zoloft. An hour later I took a Wellbutrin SR 150. I felt maybe a bit better from these (I was feeling quite sluggish and unmotivated at that point and was at work still needing to make it through a meeting). In the evening I took another 50mg Zoloft.

Today is Saturday and tonight will make 72 hours since my last bit of Tramadol. I feel like crap right now and nights are hard. But so far the hydros have really helped. I don't know if the antidepressants are helping, honestly. I think the Wellbutrin is making me shaky. More to be learned, I'm sure.

By the way I ordered a bunch of stuff online but the order hasn't even been approved yet so I don't know if I'll take it when it finally arrives. I got Trileptal (oxcarbazepine), Robaxin, Clonadine, Remerol, and Neurontin. I honestly don't even remember what I learned about most of these that made me want to order them, and when and if they arrive I'll have to research what i was thinking, haha.

killerzoey added 6 Minutes and 28 Seconds later...

Oops - a correction. The day before I took zero Tramadol I took 1.5 Tramadol pills, not 4. And before I took just 5 "for shits and giggles" I had already reduced my dose down to making sure I "just" took 10 and then 8, within 2 weeks. So technically I started tapering two weeks ago, but very little. However I realize that the way I wrote it, it looks like I went from 10-12 a day to 5, and that's not exactly true. My most recent stable baseline amount per day was 8. So I went from 8 to 5, then 4, 3, 1.5, 0.

Thx 4 the details.

Last edited by killerzoey; 13-01-2013 at 00:59. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 13-01-2013, 05:39

Male from United States
popeye.sailor is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 35, Level: 1 Points: 35, Level: 1 Points: 35, Level: 1
Re: Tramadol Tapering

Hi you all
Im just another fool caught by this innocent non addictive drug

Im on 400mg Tramadol per day for serious back pain after an injury. After 10 months I want to get off this drug.

During the last month I tried to quit with no success. I went cold turkey and quit after 3 days, I will never go that route again. Then I tried to scale down from 400mg to 350mg. The withdrawal symptoms kicked in and I quit after 2 days.

I started searching the internet and the best I could find was Gabapentin and Clonidine.
My plan is to take these 2 drugs and start tapering down on Tramadol at 25 mg per week as from next Monday 14 Jan 13.It will take 4 months to scale down to zero.

I have no experience with addiction or withdrawal, I only learned about it when I dropped the Tramadol.
Im extremely depressed and angry for being in this situation. I used to be an active positive person. Im not even 30% of my old self. I hate this drug, I want my life back !

Any suggestions or advice is welcome.

Respect his honesty

Share this on:

Tags
serotonin syndrome, tramadol, tramadol abuse, tramadol withdrawal, ultram, withdrawal