Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Amphetamine > Concerta & Ritalin
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Concerta & Ritalin About Methylphenidate.

Old 26-03-2012, 21:17
Silver Member

Male from Canada
usually0 is captain of the psychonauts.usually0 is captain of the psychonauts.usually0 is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 383, Level: 3 Points: 383, Level: 3 Points: 383, Level: 3
Activity: 3.7% Activity: 3.7% Activity: 3.7%
Sublingual Use of Methylphenidate

I've read that Methylphenidate is have bioavaliability sublingually, and I heard that euphoria and rate of absorbption does increase from AFOAF (a friend of a friend). So I have a few questions about it

Sometimes, when AFOAF uses the whole pill sublingually (concerta Alza 54), even while all crushed up, the pieces stick together and clump in his mouth and he's not sure they're being absorbed properly because of this as he does not see them dissolve like it usually does. Could this be inactive ingredients in the pill sticking to the methylphenidate when it mixes with water?

How long does it usually take to absorb? As a rule of the thumb AFOAF says he holds in his mouth for about 15 minutes, but he's unsure if this is long enough to absorb all of the methylphenidate, although he says it's definitly absorbing some or most of it.

Sometimes AFOAF says he feels a burning sensation in his mouth especially when repeatitive dosing in large amounts, but even in small doses to a lesser extent. He's read that HCI turns into hydrochloirc acid when mixed with water and this substance is corrosive to skin and could burn or damage tissue. Is this happening in his mouth? Is this bad? Can anyone comfirm or discomfirm this theory?

Also he'd like to know if anyone ever heard of cancer in the mouth following methylphenidate use in this manner? He'd like to know if there's any dangers that anyone has experienced folling sublingually use of methylphenidate.

I hope this isn't too much, these are just all the questions I have, I hope some of them may be answered. Good luck and thanks.

P.S. I used a prefic of oral use because there isn't one for sublingual use so I hope that's okay. Moderators can feel free to more this to a more appropiate forum area if feel it is necessary.

usually0 added 4 Minutes and 8 Seconds later...

P.S.S. I just looked at the wiki article and methylpheidate does not have a section for sublingual use a possible route of administration. Should I add one? I don't really have much knowledge though, so if someone else does if they could add one that would be good I think.

Post Quality Evaluations:
interesting question and intriguing ROA

Last edited by usually0; 26-03-2012 at 21:17. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 26-03-2012, 21:33
Titanium Member

Male from United States
Tech House probably knows what they are talking about.Tech House probably knows what they are talking about.Tech House probably knows what they are talking about.Tech House probably knows what they are talking about.Tech House probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 615, Level: 3 Points: 615, Level: 3 Points: 615, Level: 3
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%
Re: Sublingual Use of Methylphenidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by usually0 View Post
Sometimes AFOAF says he feels a burning sensation in his mouth especially when repeatitive dosing in large amounts, but even in small doses to a lesser extent. He's read that HCI turns into hydrochloirc acid when mixed with water and this substance is corrosive to skin and could burn or damage tissue. Is this happening in his mouth? Is this bad? Can anyone comfirm or discomfirm this theory?

Also he'd like to know if anyone ever heard of cancer in the mouth following methylphenidate use in this manner? He'd like to know if there's any dangers that anyone has experienced folling sublingually use of methylphenidate.
I'm no expert on anything you asked, but I'll just say that a tiny amount of hydrochloric acid mixed with saliva for a short time under the tongue is unlikely to cause real harm. It would be less acidic than some of the foods we eat, especially sour things like lemons and vinegar. I've had nasty things happen after a few days of putting something under my tongue and holding it there for a while, but I'm almost certain that it wasn't due to acidity. Chemicals can be corrosive through other mechanisms and this felt like it was an organic chem reaction, not an acid-base response.

Having said all that, I suppose it could harm your tender sublingual tissue to hold a piece of lemon there every day for 15 minutes, so what do I know....

Sounds like a good theory.
well thought out and reasoned answer
Old 26-03-2012, 21:48
Silver Member

Male from Canada
usually0 is captain of the psychonauts.usually0 is captain of the psychonauts.usually0 is captain of the psychonauts.

Okay thanks for clearing that part up for me. I read about it and couldn't find any info on it really besides about hydrocholride. Yeah seems logically what you said. You're probaly right, not enough will be made to pose any real harm.

Thanks a lot.
Old 28-03-2012, 00:30
Silver Member

Male from Canada

Does anyone else hav e any theories on this? Any thoughts?
Old 02-04-2012, 22:20
Silver Member

Male from Canada

Does anyone have an answer for how long it should take to asborb sublingually? Is 15 minutes plenty of time?

I'm sure many of you are aware that during this process a lot of spit is made and this mixes with the methylphenidate. I'm sure this would decrease the amount asborb sublingually, or one would have to let it asborb longer because of this.
Old 05-04-2012, 22:19
Policy, Various & Reviews
Co-Moderator

49 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Mindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 7,113, Level: 12 Points: 7,113, Level: 12 Points: 7,113, Level: 12
Activity: 10.9% Activity: 10.9% Activity: 10.9%

See these threads for more information on the sublingual use of methyphenidate:

Crushing ritalin then sublingual?

Improving Ritalin's efficiency

There are transdermal patches available, and methyphenidate can be absorbed by mucous membranes as well, so it seems to me that the sublingual route should be viable. One issue may be that it may dissolve, mix with saliva and be swallowed before most of the pill's methylphenidate has been absorbed sublingually. According to our own DF Wiki methylphenidate acts within 10-30 minutes when taken orally. One member reported a time of about 5-10 minutes for sublingual use. It may be that a significant portion would be swallowed, which may slow things down. The sublingual route certainly seem to be less damaging than the intranasal, in that the nasal passages and septum will not be harmed by the contents of methylphenidate pills.

Source: DF Wiki Methyphenidate.

Thanks for the kinks and info

Last edited by Mindless; 05-04-2012 at 22:28. Reason: added link
Old 06-04-2012, 00:03
Titanium Member

40 y/o Male from United States
Grimace probably knows what they are talking about.Grimace probably knows what they are talking about.Grimace probably knows what they are talking about.Grimace probably knows what they are talking about.Grimace probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 576, Level: 3 Points: 576, Level: 3 Points: 576, Level: 3
Activity: 13.3% Activity: 13.3% Activity: 13.3%

SWIM has used the sublingual ROA for methylphenidate and it works nicely. One or two whole methylin 10mg (not extended release) placed under the tongue would usually dissolve within 10-15 minutes (bad flavor, slight tingling numbmess), which was about when the effects became noticeable. Effect-wise, it's on par with insulflation.

useful reply based on experience
useful experience report
Old 09-04-2012, 04:14
Silver Member

Male from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoovinator View Post
SWIM has used the sublingual ROA for methylphenidate and it works nicely. One or two whole methylin 10mg (not extended release) placed under the tongue would usually dissolve within 10-15 minutes (bad flavor, slight tingling numbmess), which was about when the effects became noticeable. Effect-wise, it's on par with insulflation.
I've found the same thing applies to me as well. I have another prescription for 10 mgs ritalin and those dissolve much easier than concerta.

10 mg dissolve under toungue without any chewing and limites saliva compared to concerta dissolving. I'd agree it's on par with insuffication with less damage. That's why i like it.

usually0 added 1 Minutes and 39 Seconds later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindless View Post
See these threads for more information on the sublingual use of methyphenidate:

Crushing ritalin then sublingual?

Improving Ritalin's efficiency

There are transdermal patches available, and methyphenidate can be absorbed by mucous membranes as well, so it seems to me that the sublingual route should be viable. One issue may be that it may dissolve, mix with saliva and be swallowed before most of the pill's methylphenidate has been absorbed sublingually. According to our own DF Wiki methylphenidate acts within 10-30 minutes when taken orally. One member reported a time of about 5-10 minutes for sublingual use. It may be that a significant portion would be swallowed, which may slow things down. The sublingual route certainly seem to be less damaging than the intranasal, in that the nasal passages and septum will not be harmed by the contents of methylphenidate pills.

Source: DF Wiki Methyphenidate.
Yeah one of main issues I notice is it mixes with saliva so I wonder how much is being dissolved. As mentioned, this process is much more effecient with 10 mg ritalin rather that concertas. Less mixes with salvia.

useful tip on optimal sublingual dose

Last edited by usually0; 09-04-2012 at 04:14. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Share this on:

Tags
methylphenidate, sublingual administration