Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 21-03-2012, 00:14

Female from United States
shedontlie69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 51, Level: 1 Points: 51, Level: 1 Points: 51, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%
40 mg adderall xr first time dose, hasn't been able to sleep at all.

So swim took 40 mg of adderall xr yesterday. Swim realized that this is was a complete mistake. Swim's friend gave her adderall so she could stay awake at school since she crashes everyday and is failing almost every class. This was the first time swim took adderall. Also the adderall was taking after not sleeping for almost 24 hours on top of large amounts of caffeine, buspar, atarax and geodon since those are prescribed to swim. Swim hasn't been able to sleep more than 4-5 hours since. So 2 days with only 4-5 hours sleep. Swim also took a xanax last night because the comedown was terrible, depressing (literally), and gave swim high anxiety because a friend told her to take it for the comedown. Swim is very tired but can't sleep, is confused, and feels like she is dreaming. Swim is also overweight. She weights 190 or so pounds. So, she needs to know if she will be alright and if the sleep deprivation is life threatening. And she also needs to know what to do to just fall asleep safely. Swim is also having minor pain in the center of her chest and can't stop grinding her teeth.
Thanks.
Old 21-03-2012, 01:11
Silver Member

Male from United States
chrischerokee is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 68, Level: 1 Points: 68, Level: 1 Points: 68, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: 40 mg adderall xr first time dose. Swim hasn't been able to sleep at all.

What you're experiencing is completely normal for someone who hasn't slept in 24 hours, and then decides to take an adderall after the fact. Furthermore, the choice of dosage happens to be an extended release that lasts up to 15 hours or so to add to it.

I would suggest you take a day to recover without using any form of drug and get some sleep. Dont take this offensively, but your negligence is the result of this bad experience. Going a day without sleep isn't the worst thing you can do, but taking a copious amount of other drugs and then administering a stimulant after you haven't slept in 24 hours is. Think about it this way, 2 days without sleep is when hallucinations start to appear and in this case you should go to the hospital.
Old 21-03-2012, 08:41
Silver Member

23 y/o Male from United States
vlampy is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1

It seems to me that you are experiencing mild amphetamine psychosis. Sleep deprivation is not life-threatening until a level of amphetamine psychosis sets in that one loses touch with reality and becomes a danger to one's self or others. If you can control yourself and are not an immediate danger to yourself or others and otherwise seem to be in good health, I would recommend against going to the hospital for just sleep deprivation, but this is just my opinion. If after taking remedial action and/or your condition does not improve within a day or two then medical attention should be seriously considered.

First, you should be sure to eat healthy. Liquid foods such as Ensure or Breakfast Essentials are packed with vitamins go down easy if you're having trouble eating. Protein intake is important in replenishment of amino acids you may have lost. Yogurt is good as well due to high carbohydrate/protein content and ease of swallowing, but any food you can handle is better than nothing at all.

Next, you needs to drink copious amounts of water to replenish all that you lost and help push the amphetamine out of your system. A gallon or two in a day would be more than sufficient. That being said, too much can lead to water intoxication and electrolyte imbalance, although proper nutrition and/or alternating with an electrolyte drink like Gatorade coupled with adequate sodium intake should make this a moot point. I cannot stress enough how important hydration and nutrition are to anyone's well-being during stimulant use, in easing comedown/aftereffects, and just living a generally healthy life.

The third and undeniably the most important priority, you needs to get adequate sleep. This will be the only cure and/or prevention of amphetamine psychosis brought on by sleep deprivation. Definitely cut the caffeine intake and any other stimulants for that matter. A lot of people attribute excessive anxiety, chest pain and automatic behavior to an amphetamine and caffeine combo. If one can take a deep breath and the chest pain goes away for a second or two, it's just muscle tightness. If it doesn't, it could be a sign of a heart issue and immediate medical attention may be a very good idea.
BuSpar is an anti-anxiety medication if memory serves correctly. Hydroxyzine is a powerful anti-histamine that should help with sedation and anxiety. Geodon is a bi-polar medication that should provide some sedation. You may be tolerant to these effects if taking them daily, though.

My highest recommendation in regards to sedation is to find 3-5mg of melatonin, an OTC and natural sleep regulating hormone that promotes restoring REM sleep. You should also try and find some L-Thianine or L-Tryptophan (5-HTP) which can be found in many health-food stores; these should help relax/sedate you and replenish depleted neurotransmitters, though they tend to be fairly expensive. If you can find 1-2 grams of Vitamin C, it will help to push the amphetamine out of your system by increasing urinary excretion. A daily multivitamin is also highly recommended.
If you have access to a LOW DOSE of a more sedating (hypnotic) benzo (such as temazepam, flurazepam, midazolam, etc.) or non-benzo (zopiclone, zolpidem) it will help much more than an anti-anxiety benzo like Xanax in achieving sleep, although I am in no way endorsing the illegal acquisition of any of the aforementioned, potentially dangerous, and addictive scheduled substances. It should be noted that powerful uppers and downers can potentially be hazardous because it tends to be hard on the heart, but what you put in your body is ultimately your decision.
You could also try diphenhydramine (Benadryl) as it's obtainable OTC sedating antihistamine, fairly common, cheap, and this likely easily acquired, but I very heavily recommend against this medication as it causes delirium at high doses. Dextromethorphan (Robotussin) may provide some help in getting to sleep, but is also heavily recommended against as it is often only mildly sedating, has many serious and potentially life-threatening negative interactions with a great many other drugs, and can cause stimulation and disassociation when taken beyond recommended dosages.

The only other medications coming to mind at the moment that may help with post-amphetamine insomnia/anxiety/depression would be gabapentin (neurontin) and mirtazapine (remeron) though these are usually obtained through prescription.

I'll will also include this disclaimer: I have not researched interactions between these drugs. Please do your own research regarding adequate dosages, risk of side effects, and potentially dangerous interactions between any medications and/or supplements you choose to ingest prior to doing so. I also recommend having a plan for recovery/rest/replenishment should you ever try anything similar to this again. Harm reduction should be utmost concern. You only get one body and one life. Everything in moderation, friend.

Finally, as a piece of advice, use the search function or a search engine prior to starting new threads and/or asking questions that are most likely answered in other threads or readily found online elsewhere.
Old 21-03-2012, 18:32
Silver Member

Male from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlampy View Post
It seems to me that you are experiencing mild amphetamine psychosis. Sleep deprivation is not life-threatening until a level of amphetamine psychosis sets in that one loses touch with reality and becomes a danger to one's self or others. If you can control yourself and are not an immediate danger to yourself or others and otherwise seem to be in good health, I would recommend against going to the hospital for just sleep deprivation, but this is just my opinion. If after taking remedial action and/or your condition does not improve within a day or two then medical attention should be seriously considered.
Amphetamine psychosis wouldn't be the case with such a low dosage...
Old 21-03-2012, 18:55
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischerokee View Post
Amphetamine psychosis wouldn't be the case with such a low dosage...
Amphetamine psychosis manifests when stimulants are combined with sleep deprivation or from very high doses of stims alone. There are multiple factors on why someone would enter psychosis such as nutrition, individual chemistry, tolerance, or in combination with other medications just as a few examples. AFOAF takes Adderall daily for narcolepsy and if he lacks even a few hours of sleep over a few days, he tends to experience mild psychosis (delusional thinking, shadow people, catatonia, auditory hallucinations) though this could be chalked up partly to the condition itself. My opinion still stands. As always, your mileage may vary.

Then again, I'm no expert and it may very well not be psychosis, even very mild. Just throwing my opinion out there.
Old 21-03-2012, 19:15
Silver Member

Male from United States

No I understand, but you said "It seems to me that you are experiencing mild amphetamine psychosis." And this wouldn't be the case because of such a low dosage is what I was implying.
Old 21-03-2012, 20:53
Silver Member

Hmm. I guess I beat around the bush a lot there and kinda missed the mark. The point I was attempting to make is that from AFOAF's experience, amphetamine psychosis is not entirely dose dependent and entirely possible even at low doses given the right conditions (or wrong, semantics). AFOAF takes low doses daily and has experienced related symptoms that he has not experienced without the medication. Maybe stimulant psychosis would be the more appropriate term,but we're digressing from the matter at hand. I'm very curious as to OP's current status.
Old 21-03-2012, 21:48

I took benadryl and .5 mg xanax last night and crashed at around 1am and just woke up at about 1pm. I'm feeling better. I'm not grinding my teeth anymore, but I'm still anxious and can't really catch a breath. But whenever I get anxious I can't really catch a breath. Also, I have another question but I'm too lazy to just start another thread. I'm on those medications I listed above, geodon, buspar, and atarax. I'm going to a friends house on Friday to watch The Doors movie and get wasted. I'm worried about drinking with these meds. Is it safe?

shedontlie69 added 20 Minutes and 7 Seconds later...

Also my appetite is back. I'm currently eating 2 eggs with loads of Louisiana hot sauce on them and half of a jelly sandwich. I'm drinking half a glass of water too because I heard water intoxication is possible with adderall. But it's out of my system now isn't it? Because I used to do other stimulants and the comedown wasn't as bad but I still came down after not taking any more for a few days.

Last edited by shedontlie69; 21-03-2012 at 21:48. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 21-03-2012, 22:55
Silver Member

Male from United States

I'm meaning that the psychosis wouldn't be due to the stimulant. The psychosis would be from not sleeping for almost two days, and completely unrelated from taking the adderall. Amphetamine psychosis is from taking to much of the drug for your brain to handle, which can be permanent. That wasn't the case is my point. Her dosage was way to low for it to be over-stimulation, also given her body weight.

As to the OP, I'm not a doctor at all or act as if I was one. However, I don't think doing something toxic to your body is recommended after going through what you just did. Just rest a couple days then at your own discretion do what you want.
Old 22-03-2012, 00:23

Yeah but I drank 2 Diet Cokes a while ago because I thought I would be fine. Now I'm all hyped up again. I've drank a full pot of espresso within like an hour before and got all high strung and anxious in the past, so idk if that's it or if it's something more serious. But thinking about not going being able to sleep tonight when I have school tomorrow is freaking me out too. So I'm convinced that it's just bad anxiety. Because I've had anxiety problems for years.
Old 22-03-2012, 01:23
Silver Member

Male from United States

Well you probably have anxiety, which could have made you have a panic attack and make all your symptoms worse. I don't know what you mean by drinking 2 diet cokes or why that has to do with anything lol.
Old 22-03-2012, 04:21
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedontlie69 View Post
I took benadryl and .5 mg xanax last night and crashed at around 1am and just woke up at about 1pm. I'm feeling better. I'm not grinding my teeth anymore, but I'm still anxious and can't really catch a breath. But whenever I get anxious I can't really catch a breath. Also, I have another question but I'm too lazy to just start another thread. I'm on those medications I listed above, geodon, buspar, and atarax. I'm going to a friends house on Friday to watch The Doors movie and get wasted. I'm worried about drinking with these meds. Is it safe?

shedontlie69 added 20 Minutes and 7 Seconds later...

Also my appetite is back. I'm currently eating 2 eggs with loads of Louisiana hot sauce on them and half of a jelly sandwich. I'm drinking half a glass of water too because I heard water intoxication is possible with adderall. But it's out of my system now isn't it? Because I used to do other stimulants and the comedown wasn't as bad but I still came down after not taking any more for a few days.
The neighbor's pet lizard is highly sedated at the moment and requires a lot of my attention, so bear with me. 30mg temazepam, 1600mg gabapentin, 10mg melatonin, 200mg L-thianine, and 200mg of 5-HTP is a hell of a sedation effect and the lizard's favorite way of killing an Adderall+Dexedrine combo comedown.

I would highly advise against mixing three sedative medications and the sedative alcohol, though tolerance to both your meds and alcohol plays a big part in this. Best case scenario: You get an alcohol buzz though it may be intensified if intolerant to one or maybe two of the meds/alcohol or diminished if you're tolerant to all and only ingesting normal amounts. Worst case scenario: your tolerance isn't high to the majority of them and things like black outs, passing out, coma, emergency, and (not to be too heavy here) death from respiratory depression or heart failure all come to mind. Don't halt daily scripts for a night of boozing as that could open the figurative Pandora's box of negative symptoms.
Recommendations: take it very slow if you're tolerant to most, completely abstain if you're intolerant to most, and do not halt daily medications for a night of boozing.
As far as the water is concerned, really increase your intake and even more than that if you do end up drinking. If you're eating adequately, water intoxication is almost impossible to achieve unless you're drinking like 3 gallons an hour. Alternate water and booze, dehydration makes the post-amp return to normal many times worse plus an alcohol hangover would put you in a very miserable state indeed.
The eggs were good as they're high in protein needed for replenishment of amino acids (precursors to restoring depleted neurotransmitters in your brain), the jelly sandwich not quite as good due to it being largely simple sugars and simple carbohydrates but much better than nothing. Peanut butter would have been a better option as peanuts are high in both protein and calories; a cup of peanuts has approximately 700 calories. If the hot sauce was high in sodium, then it was a good choice as well as it helps your body balance electrolytes and retain water and if it acidified your urine it will help with amphetamine excretion from the body.
The amphetamine is not out of your system nor will it be for probably another day or more depending on excretion rate with returning to baseline requiring a few more days after that dependent on how fast your body readjusts to running without amphetamines and replenishment of depleted bodily chemicals. The "high" lasts all of 4-6 hours followed by the comedown. Significant stimulating effects disrupting sleep can last up to 12 hours, possibly much longer if you ingest caffeine.

"Yeah but I drank 2 Diet Cokes a while ago because I thought I would be fine. Now I'm all hyped up again. I've drank a full pot of espresso within like an hour before and got all high strung and anxious in the past, so idk if that's it or if it's something more serious. But thinking about not going being able to sleep tonight when I have school tomorrow is freaking me out too. So I'm convinced that it's just bad anxiety. Because I've had anxiety problems for years."

Your caffeine intake via soda was probably not a good idea with trace amphetamines still in your system. Caffeine will potentate the effects of what's left and cause it to stick around longer. I'd venture to say this is what happened. Amp+Caffeine is a synergistic combination and thus also commonly tied to the side effects related to CNS over-stimulation; tachycardia and erratic heart rate, palpitations, increased anxiety, tremors, chest pain, muscle tension leading to soreness later, severe headache, sometimes panic attacks, and very rarely, heart attack/damage and stroke. Also just generally very hard on your heart and circulatory system. I would recommend abstaining from caffeine for 2-3 days until you return to full normal baseline.
In general, people with anxiety issues not tied to ADHD or narcolepsy should avoid stimulants altogether because there's a good possibility of increasing anxiety. Paranoia, a side effect of sleep deprivation, could be causing anxiety as well.

I'd like to guess you will not get good sleep without another sedative. I don't like the thought of adding even more psychoactive substances into a body that is already extremely stressed, but sleep is immensely important to recovery.

You need to take a step back and seriously think about what you're doing to your body, our mind, and your overall health. You're new to Adderall and it seems to me that you're basically on a multi-day binge with little guidance. You're consistently combining uppers and downers with no time for your body to recover and replenish. The longer you keep this binge going, the more the side effects will worsen and the longer it will take to recover. It seems to me that it's turning into a downward spiral and the bottom of that hole you're digging won't be pretty. I suggest you lay off of everything after getting a good night's sleep tonight with nothing but a 5mg dose of melatonin, your daily scripts, and some natural relaxation and sedation techniques like massage, a hot shower, and a cup of chamomile tea. Do not stop taking your daily medications, possible rebound anxiety and insomnia would only make you feel even worse and endanger your health. If your heart rate isn't too high, a 20 minute run or even sex/masturbation would do wonders for anxiety, mood, sedation, increasing stimulant excretion, and general relaxation.

TL;DR: My advice in a nutshell... If the side effects are really bothering or impairing you, the best thing you can do is slow your roll, continue to take your daily medications, drink lots of water, take a multivitamin and a large vitamin c supplement with 5mg melatonin, eat well, get some exercise if you can, and get some good sleep. Sleep is your best friend and his best friends are food and water. STAY THE HELL AWAY from caffeine, alcohol, and amphetamines for 1-3 days to let your body completely reset. You may feel like crap for those days, but it won't take long to get back to feeling normal. Refer to my earlier post for recovery aids or do some searches for more. Limit benzodiazepine use; addiction is easy, tolerance builds very quickly, and withdrawal can literally be deadly.

My neighbor's lizard's vision is warping and his mind has gone pleasantly foggy so it's almost time to retire him to the aquarium and I to bed. Sorry for the long post, took way too long to write.

Make sure to do your own research and not just take my word as absolute truth. All recommendations are based on personal research and AFOAF sharing his usage/abuse experiences. Best of luck.

Share this on:

Tags
adderall, adderall xr, overdose concerns, sleep deprivation