Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Amphetamine > Concerta & Ritalin
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Concerta & Ritalin About Methylphenidate.

Old 15-03-2012, 14:13

Female from United States
jen1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%
Ritalin vs. Concerta vs. Focalin vs. Adderall/Vyvanse

SWIM has taken Adderall or Vyvanse daily for 4 years, prescribed for ADHD. Lately she's having a problem getting the Vyvanse (very expensive) and is thinking about switching to Concerta or Ritalin or Focalin, because there are patient assistance programs. For those who have taken both Adderall and methylphenidate/dexmethylphenidate, how did the two compare? She's heard Concerta and Focalin are "weaker" than Adderall/Vyvanse but how much weaker? What does a Concerta or Focalin buzz feel like compared to Adderall or Vyvanse? Thanks.

jen1234 added 8 Minutes and 10 Seconds later...

Also, what is the recommended maximum dose for adults on Focalin XR?

jen1234 added 0 Minutes and 22 Seconds later...

*maximum daily dose that is

Last edited by jen1234; 15-03-2012 at 14:13. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-04-2012, 03:42
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

27 y/o Female from United States
Megan288 needs to UTFSE some more before posting.
Re: Ritalin vs. Concerta vs. Focalin vs. Adderall/Vyvanse

I took Adderall and Ritalin.

On Adderall I may have had too high of a dose at first because I felt very euphoric, energetic, and motivated. I took it for three years and made straight a's, had two bfs (both didn't work out but it could have been them as well) I then stopped taking adderall cold turkey and things went way downhill, moreso than before I had ever taken any medication.

Finally several months later I couldn't take anymore bc I was very depressed without adderall, not motivated, and got nothing done, so I decided to take Ritalin. I was a little bit cold (my nature is extremely nice, loving, compassionate) but I was a little aggressive, assertive, on Ritalin. I got more work done. Overall, I still wasn't progressing or moving forward like I wanted to be and like I had been with adderall. I knew that with adderall I would be making plans and be more optimistic about life in general, and I knew I wanted/needed that because I'm 26 and don't have time to screw up anymore in trying to establish a life.

So anyway, I got back on Adderall.. this time 30 mg.. and I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel and thinking about moving forward and getting myself out of the hole I felt I was in, or getting "unstuck" from the situation I thought I was in. I have just been on Adderall for a month and am already more motivated/thinking about things.

The only thing I really can't stand about these drugs, that I have become used to over the last three years, is they make me snappy, short, self-riteous, when I otherwise wouldn't be. It's just a price I guess I have to pay.

I don't want to be on them long-term. I hope I don't become severely dependent on them like the black box warning describes. It's a possibility.. I'm already pretty dependent on them. Hopefully i'll function without them later in life... :/
Old 03-04-2012, 03:27

Female from United States
jen1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1 Points: 19, Level: 1
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

Thanks for your reply
Old 03-04-2012, 09:09
Silver Member

32 y/o Male from United States
Bottled Up Like Dope is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 51, Level: 1 Points: 51, Level: 1 Points: 51, Level: 1
Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2%

swim is currently alternating between adderall and focalin. One is prescribed for a few months, then it is switched to the other. Seems to work just fine. Adderall and Focalin are the only adhd meds, swim suggests. For whatever reason, swim finds dexmethylphenidate (focalin) to be much more powerful than methylphenidate (ritalin/concerta)... vyvanse works, but is way too expensive.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:40

Male from United States
SoberSally is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 28, Level: 1 Points: 28, Level: 1 Points: 28, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

I have many years experience on all of these drugs. I started taking them just before starting high school and continued them through college and then a few years after. Ill try to explain it to you as best as possible without getting to scientific..

Ritalin- "Methylphenidate" it has been prescribed by doctors to treat ADHD/ADD for a long time, longer then the other drugs mentioned in the post. The fact that it is still prescribed today goes to show the effectiveness of it. Ritalin comes in an instant release (4-5 hours) as well as an extended release (7-8 hours) It does have a few noticeable side effects, the main one being anxiety.

Concerta- "Methylphenidate ER" it is chemically the same drug as Ritalin, It is just in a delayed release capsule. It usually last about 12 hours. Every 4 hours or so a certain dosage is released from the capsule, giving you the same amount of medicine over a longer period of time. The side effects are the same as Ritalin, however because of its delayed release, it is typically a little weaker then ritalin.

Focalin- "Dexmethylphenidate" This drug is basically a new and improved form of ritalin. They are made by the same company, so after doing some studies and research they developed a way to rid the unwanted side effects of ritalin (Mainly Anxiety). The "Dex" prefix added to the methylphenidate compound allows for a smoother release of the drug, while also making it about twice as strong. Because its such a powerful drug, its mainly used to treat ADD/ADHD in adults. It also comes in both the instant release and extended release form.

Vyvanse- "lisdexamfetime" Vyvanse is basically a lesser form of adderall. It is designed to last about 11-12 hours, which is why they prescribe it to a lot of kids in school (same with Concerta). I found it to be a little bit weak, however it didn't posses as many of the side effects that ritalin did. Overall it was a pretty smooth medicine that I didnt think was strong enough for me.

Adderall- "Amphetamine Salt" it is basically a combination of different types of amphetimes, all brought together in one pill. I found it to be more intense and effective then Vyvanse, and the best thing of all is that it has the fewest side effects in my opinion out of all of these drugs. It comes in XR and IR forms

I tried to keep it as short as possible, while still giving enough of a description to help you. In my opinion Focalin and Adderall work much better then the others. Id have to say focalin is a good bit stronger then adderall, but depending on when and where you take this, it might not be a good thing. I found that even on a lower dose of focalin, all i wanted to do was get shit done, and if something was interrupting that then I got a little frustrated. It also made me a lot quieter. Adderall was very effective as well and didnt make me feel "high" or "speedy" in any way. Now there is one problem with all of these, which is why I know so much and have taken them all.. eventually you will start to build a tolerance to the compound, and it will start to basically not do anything for you. I would suggest that when this happens, you should switch compounds, for instance if the ritalin (Which is a Methyl) starts to fail, switch to vyvanse or something thats an amphetimine. I hope that helps, if you have any other questions or concerns you can message me, id be glad to help.
Old 12-04-2012, 14:45
Gold Member

Male from United States
staples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medline
Points: 3,146, Level: 8 Points: 3,146, Level: 8 Points: 3,146, Level: 8
Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1%

A few minor corrections and I'll add my own experience where it contrasts the previous post (I have also been prescribed on all the above-mentioned medications)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoberSally View Post
Ritalin- "Methylphenidate" it has been prescribed by doctors to treat ADHD/ADD for a long time, longer then the other drugs mentioned in the post. The fact that it is still prescribed today goes to show the effectiveness of it. Ritalin comes in an instant release (4-5 hours) as well as an extended release (7-8 hours) It does have a few noticeable side effects, the main one being anxiety.
The most common adverse effect to methylphenidate is by far a loss of appetite (same goes for other psychostimulants), followed by stomaches/nausea, "dull" feelings, and then insomnia.

Quote:
Concerta- "Methylphenidate ER" it is chemically the same drug as Ritalin, It is just in a delayed release capsule. It usually last about 12 hours. Every 4 hours or so a certain dosage is released from the capsule, giving you the same amount of medicine over a longer period of time. The side effects are the same as Ritalin, however because of its delayed release, it is typically a little weaker then ritalin.
Concerta uses an osmotic pump mechanism to achieve it's extended-release. This means that the capsule has a water-permeable membrane, allowing the osmotic influx of water, which displaces methylphenidate, pushing it through laser-drilled holes in this membrane so that it can be absorbed into systemic circulation. The 4 hour timing is a property of Adderall's microtrol beads.

Also, Concerta may be weaker than ritalin on a mg/mg basis, but of course it is generally just as effective when using a dose that achieves equivalent plasma concentration.

Quote:
Focalin- "Dexmethylphenidate" This drug is basically a new and improved form of ritalin. They are made by the same company, so after doing some studies and research they developed a way to rid the unwanted side effects of ritalin (Mainly Anxiety). The "Dex" prefix added to the methylphenidate compound allows for a smoother release of the drug, while also making it about twice as strong. Because its such a powerful drug, its mainly used to treat ADD/ADHD in adults. It also comes in both the instant release and extended release form.
Dexmethylphenidate is the dextrorotatory isomer of methylphenidate, whereas ritalin is racemic methylphenidate. In other words, Ritalin is 50% dexmethylphenidate! (and 50% levomethylphenidate). It was developed after several studies found that the dextrorotatory isomer was significantly more potent than the levorotatory enantiomer, and thus a formulation of just dexmethylphenidate is considered twice as potent as racemic methylphenidate. The lower, more concentrated dose of active medication may decrease the incidence of some side effects but otherwise, the side effect profile should be identicle to that of methylphenidate. Dexmethylphenidate is used in children as well as adults, just at half the doses that would be used if it were methylphenidate.

Quote:
Vyvanse- "lisdexamfetime" Vyvanse is basically a lesser form of adderall. It is designed to last about 11-12 hours, which is why they prescribe it to a lot of kids in school (same with Concerta). I found it to be a little bit weak, however it didn't posses as many of the side effects that ritalin did. Overall it was a pretty smooth medicine that I didnt think was strong enough for me.
It is certainly not a lesser form of Adderall. It is a prodrug of the dextrorotatory enantiomer of amphetamine. I personally found it much more effective than Adderall, it just takes a while to reach peak plasma concentration. My first description of it to a friend was "it's like if you could take Adderall's effect, and smear it throughout the day" as opposed to noticing any peak effects from either the XR formulation or manual dosing of the IR formulation (of course it'd be more accurate to compare it to dexedrine/dextrostat, but my friend was familiar with Adderall).

Quote:
Adderall- "Amphetamine Salt" it is basically a combination of different types of amphetimes, all brought together in one pill. I found it to be more intense and effective then Vyvanse, and the best thing of all is that it has the fewest side effects in my opinion out of all of these drugs. It comes in XR and IR forms
Adderall is a mixture of 2 racemic amphetamine salts (amphetamine sulfate and amphetamine aspartate monohydrate) and 2 dextroamphetamine salts (dextroamphetamine saccharate as well as some more dextroamphetamine sulfate). This composition is not meant to achieve a bunch of effects in one pill, it was designed in an attempt to create a smoother effect profile by having slightly different pharmacokinetic profiles of the same active substances. While the levorotatory enantiomer of amphetamine does have a bit longer-lasting pharmacokinetic profile, it acts more peripherally than dextroamphetamine, is considered about 1/4th as potent. L-amph is more likely to cause side effects and so if one responds well to adderall but has some side effects, they may want to consider a formulation that uses just the dextrorotatory enantiomer.

Quote:
I tried to keep it as short as possible, while still giving enough of a description to help you. In my opinion Focalin and Adderall work much better then the others. Id have to say focalin is a good bit stronger then adderall, but depending on when and where you take this, it might not be a good thing.
I would disagree here; I'd rate adderall above dexmethylphenidate, but everyone is different.

Quote:
Now there is one problem with all of these, which is why I know so much and have taken them all.. eventually you will start to build a tolerance to the compound, and it will start to basically not do anything for you. I would suggest that when this happens, you should switch compounds, for instance if the ritalin (Which is a Methyl) starts to fail, switch to vyvanse or something thats an amphetimine.
I definitely disagree with this advice. Stick with what is effective and tolerable. Your dosage may increase through the course of treatment but it does not grow without bound if you use the medication as directed--you will not eventually exhaust your tolerance to each medication.
Old 12-04-2012, 15:44

Male from United States
SoberSally is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 28, Level: 1 Points: 28, Level: 1 Points: 28, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Thanks for the corrections, I was trying to keep it simple and more opinionated rather then factual, only because I was on my phone and couldnt research anything. After pondering this topic while in bed last night I came to the conclusion that it would be very hard for me to say which one drug is actually the best, because I took some of them while in active addiction and some when I was not. Looking back now, after over 2 months sober I realize that medicine does what its supposed to do when you take it how you are supposed to. Having said that and holding all things constant, I would still say that focalin was the strongest, but as far as which one is the best? I, afraid I cannot say, besides everyone's brain reacts differently to these drugs.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Useful perspective. I like this response. It's honest and genuine and she keeps focusing on being helpful.

Share this on:

Tags
adderall, concerta, focalin, ritalin, vyvanse