Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Various drugs not covered by other forums > Antidepressants
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 11-03-2012, 14:30
Silver Member

Female from United States
nybaby is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 135, Level: 1 Points: 135, Level: 1 Points: 135, Level: 1
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%
Prozac Not Working, Any Suggestions?

I have been taking Prozac for about two-three months. Right now, I am on 20 mg. It hasn't been proving to be effective at subsiding my depression symptoms. I have updated my psychiatrist about the lack of progress. He said it is too soon to tell if it is working. He also said that he cannot change the dosage for awhile because it is too soon to higher dosages. He won't switch the Prozac to another antidepressant medications until he is sure the Prozac is ineffective.

What should I do?

How long am I going to wait to see some changes or results?

How can I say or suggest to my psychiatrist that will make him more helpful?

What antidepressants do you suggest for someone unaffected by Prozac?

Is this normal? Should I be experiencing no effects on Prozac? Is my psychiatrist right?
Old 11-03-2012, 15:12
Palladium Member

Female from USA - Washington
sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.
Points: 1,678, Level: 6 Points: 1,678, Level: 6 Points: 1,678, Level: 6
Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3%
Re: Prozac Not Working, Any Suggestions?

When my depression was first diagnosed, Prozac was THE drug to take, and I was prescribed 20mg to start. I eventually ended up on 40mg as a therapeutic dose, and it did help me for about 4 or 5 years actually. AND my doctor said we would be able to determine effectiveness after the first month, and he was right.

After taking it for so long, not only did it not seem to help my depression anymore, but I developed much more severe anxiety and panic symptoms. Thats when my anti-depressant merry go round started, trying everything on the market at the time.

IMO, you shouldn't have to accept such a response from a professional who is paid to help you, and that includes hearing what you say.

If I were in your shoes, I would research some information about Prozac, print it out, and take it in to your psychiatrist. He/she probably won't like it, I never met a psychiatrist who wasn't arrogant as hell, as well as being annoyed if someone questioned their treatment plan.

As far as something else to take, that is really, really individualized, or it should be anyway.
The choice of anti depressants these days is staggering, and since many have some specific functions and side effects, you will likely end up trying a few before finding something.

I hope you get some support, I know how hard it is to be depressed and feel like nothing you can do will help.
But it will, just don't take no for an answer if you are sure about what you are feeling.
Old 15-03-2012, 14:15
Silver Member

Female from Australia
pinkraine is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Prozac Not Working, Any Suggestions?

I am on Prozac and Seroquel at the moment. I am sorry to tell you that it took me nearly 2 years to find the right combination of drugs to work for me. It is a long and painful process of guessing but I assure you your psych will find some through process of elimination.

Prozac takes 4-6 weeks to kick in, and for some people it can take even longer. I gave my on Prozac after only a few months, insisting that it wasn't doing anything. I then tried 6 other anti-depressants, only to go back to Prozac at a higher dosage.

Maybe try asking your psych to up the dosage? I am on 40mg at the moment and have been for over a year.

It is different for every person. Hang in there, best of luck.

Share this on:

Tags
antidepressants, prozac

» New Threads
My struggle with Loperamide
Last post by ophelia-b
8 Replies, 358 Views
The risk of untested pills
Last post by Ghetto_Chem
6 Replies, 105 Views
Bad news. FDA not allowing Kratom...
Last post by DepoV