Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 10-03-2012, 03:41

Male from United States
jay dawg35 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
how long do i need to stay on suboxone to safely get away from them and painkillers

I have someone who was taking 5-8 hydrocodones a day and now is on subs. They want to get off subs. How long should they take the subs?
Old 12-03-2012, 02:14
Silver Member

29 y/o Male from United States
EncyclopediaHumanica is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1 Points: 64, Level: 1
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%
Re: how long do i need to stay on suboxone to safely get away from them and painkille

My captive research ape just finished detoxing from suboxone. Let me extrapolate the data I collected in my experiments.

BTW my job is creating educational curriculum on the subject of nearly every recreational drug available so while Im not providing you with a service here my information is accurate.

My captive research ape broke his back while training for a bodybuilding competition 2 years ago, he spent about 7 months taking everything from oxy to illicit diacetylmorphine. After nearly losing his career to his tendency for nodding off all day, my ape began taking suboxone, 16mg a day(maximum dosage). Surprisingly, my research ape reported daily withdrawal symptoms even know the dose was constant. Suboxone is no miracle withdrawal fix, it is simply replacing one opiate for another with less physical experience associated.

Suboxone withdrawal is less intense than other opiates but it is a much, much lengthier process. My captive research ape felt withdrawal symptoms for an entire month even know the dose was tapered off gradually before full cessation. My ape had a rapid taper which may account for the nasty detox but I know from others with similar circumstances who tapered proper that no matter what you do suboxone withdrawals will go on longer than non-synthetic opiate detox. They will be less severe, to the point that my ape was actually able to sleep at night without taking any assistance meds.

I strongly recommend you raise your concerns with your physician if you have one, ask for clonidine by name. Clonidine is a heavily hypnotic/sedative medication traditionally used to treat stubborn and acute high blood pressure; it is a gem during detox. Your doc may not take your physical comfort into consideration so you may have to be indignent about recieving medication to aid in the process.

DETOX IMMEDIATELY if you feel you are ready. The longer you take subs, the more dependent your body will be on them. Sub has the longest half-life of any common opioid, you do not want to ingrain your body with it if its not necessary for your well-being to take it. I'm glad my captive research ape was able to use suboxone long enough to put his life back together but I don't think he would do it again.
Old 14-03-2012, 05:21
Titanium Member

47 y/o Male from United States
brettjv really adds to the discussion.brettjv really adds to the discussion.brettjv really adds to the discussion.brettjv really adds to the discussion.brettjv really adds to the discussion.brettjv really adds to the discussion.
Points: 553, Level: 3 Points: 553, Level: 3 Points: 553, Level: 3
Re: how long do i need to stay on suboxone to safely get away from them and painkille

That's an unfortunate story, JayDawg. A habit the size of 5-8 hydros a day, even the 10mg kind ... should've been dealt with by tapering off of those directly.

Be that as it may, we're here now ... so ... how much are you taking a day right now? In case I forget to re-visit this thread, I'll give you some general guidelines ... reduce your dosage by 1/2 every week, until you get down to .5mg/day (one HALF milligram per day, to be clear) for the last week, then quit.
Old 24-03-2012, 12:26
Silver Member

33 y/o Male from United States
NotSoberNotUsing is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 49, Level: 1 Points: 49, Level: 1 Points: 49, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EncyclopediaHumanica View Post
Suboxone withdrawal is less intense than other opiates but it is a much, much lengthier process.
My experience is that suboxone W/D's are far worse than some other opiates because of the long half life and its ability to Jam into those receptors. Tough to clear them out. The only reason the W/D becomes managable is because of the taper that I hope you are doing. A nice slow taper will make your kick pretty mild. If you were to go cold turkey from 16 mg a day suboxone maintainance. OH BOY is all i can say. Its pretty brutal. IMO its similiar to methadone in this manner. Takes 3 days for the kick to start and then its heavy and its long.

With a 50-80mg hydrocodone habit a quick 4 or 5 day taper should be more than enough. Starting at 8mg's(even 4 mg's would be more than enough) the first day then down to 6 the next then 4 then 2. You can even go to 1 then skip a day and take 1mg every other day for 4 days. Just be careful. The subs will give you buzz and you dont want to replace a Vicodin habit with a suboxone habit. Trust me you dont.
This is all just my experiences but remember we are all different when it comes to biology and neuro chemicals. Whats good for goose is not always good for the gander. Whatever the hell that means.

Good Luck!!
Old 20-04-2012, 10:55
Silver Member

Male from United States
dexamine is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1 Points: 24, Level: 1
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay dawg35 View Post
I have someone who was taking 5-8 hydrocodones a day and now is on subs. They want to get off subs. How long should they take the subs?
not to be a smart a**, but it's individually different from how long you should take em.

If you're off them now, great. But from a harm reduction/opiate addiction standpoint, i'd rather be on subs forever than be on/off 5-8 hydrocodone daily. Suboxone opioid maintenance can be maintained indefinitely, if necessary. I'm on it for a while, and have no plans being off it, because 4mg of buprenorphine doesn't hurt me/cause me as much potential harm as abusing dope would.

If you're not a dope fiend, then by all means get off as soon as possible. Tapering is the best answer, and depending on the dose, should be done SLOWLY because withdrawls for subutex can be longer/worse psychologically compared to standard opiates, depending on the individual (if not tapered).

Best of wishes to whatever situation you're in currently!
Old 20-04-2012, 18:13
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from United States
mre227 should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1
Activity: 3.5% Activity: 3.5% Activity: 3.5%

12 hours min. but the longer u wait in pain, the better the suboxone will feal
Old 22-04-2012, 17:07

Female from United States
Bealite3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1
Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay dawg35 View Post
Greetings,
I am new here but by no means new to drug use. I done it all and seems like you too are trying to be free, Blessing for you! I am a chonic pain sufferer now, funny how that works now I have to be on a Butrans Patch with will not allow anyother opiates in my system or a hellish withdraw will happen a great deterant for an ex- herion user. You must be seeing a Doc to be on suboxone- I would try and stay on it until your really sure you can stay clean-but you can be completly weaned off but craving will return so be careful. I would not try and replace or misuse anything else in it's place. Just follow your Doc's instuctions and stay free!Blessings!

Share this on:

Tags
hydrocodone, suboxone

» New Threads
Lets say it takes an hour for tea...
Last post by Alka_holic
18 Replies, 444 Views
Weaning off GHB
Last post by gthug
2 Replies, 73 Views
How Hard was it for you to get...
Last post by Alka_holic