Notices

Opiates & Opioids Opiates & Opioids.

Old 08-03-2012, 19:35
Silver Member

Male from USA - Virginia
whocaresdude91 is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 1,023, Level: 4 Points: 1,023, Level: 4 Points: 1,023, Level: 4
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%
Why is it so hard to be prescribed pain medications?

Recently, I had very sharp pains evertime I breathed. Specifically, it was my left back shoulder blade and one of my ribcages. I kept trying to figure out why did I have so much pain and after numerous amount of information I researched, I think those areas of my body were in pain due to inflamation. I took copius amounts of NSAIDs (iburprofen, acetominophen, naproxen) and they barely helped with the pain at all. I went to the doctor today hoping I would get an opiate/opiod narcotic for my pain, I was in a serious amount of pain like a knife was poking through one of my ribcages. I told the doctor how much pain I was in and he prescribed me Diclofenac (another friggin NSAID). WTF!!!! After all the pain I was telling the doc she said she would prescribe another NSAID. I told her "Can't you at least prescribe me tramadol!!" The doctor looked very suspicious of me. Come on! Why is it so hard to be prescribed pain medication? I feel like doctors do this to piss people off. If you are in pain, you should have the right to at least buy tramadol or low doses of codeine. I use to be an opiate addict but it's ironic when you are actually in pain and have been sober for about two weeks. Why is it so difficult to obtain pain medications for legitament pain? What's everyone's opinion ? Shouldn't you have the right to at least buy tramadol or a low dose codeine over the counter?? Even tramadol is 100 times more effective than friggin iburporfen!!!

*By the way, I live in the United States
Old 08-03-2012, 19:51
Titanium Member

54 y/o Female from United States
ratgirldjh really adds to the discussion.ratgirldjh really adds to the discussion.ratgirldjh really adds to the discussion.ratgirldjh really adds to the discussion.ratgirldjh really adds to the discussion.ratgirldjh really adds to the discussion.
Points: 482, Level: 3 Points: 482, Level: 3 Points: 482, Level: 3
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Why is it so hard to be prescribed pain medications?

i actually had better luck getting pain meds after i had told them to write on my chart that i was an ex-drug addict and did not want to take pain meds.

seems they understand then that i need more than NSAIDS for pain relief.

all i know is that now if i have pain they ask - is it ok if we prescribe you some hydrocodone - i see that you have a history of drug abuse and didn't wish to have opiates?

don't know why this works - all i can say is that perhaps doctors don't like to do what you have asked of them (don't be liked to be told what to do lol) and since i had written on my chart - do not prescribe me pain meds... now i get asked every time if i want them! WTF of course they like to be the ones who 'know' what is right for you... and prove you wrong... and usually i turn them down except for last time when i really was in pain.

before this they never offered them - some food for thought here?
Old 12-03-2012, 21:58
Mercury Member

Male from United Kingdom
Marvolo needs to post very carefully to avoid a ban by negative reputation.

Its usually not hard to get prescribed pain medication for legitimate pain. Someone who likely pulled an intercostal, opioids aren't needed. A whole two weeks clean off codeine? That speaks for itself. You didn't go for the pain relief, you went for the fix. At least try diclofenac, don't just complain because the doctor didn't prescribe your favourite way to relax.

Sure ratgirl makes a reasonable point, I too find most doctors reluctant to prescribe opioids when needed. However in the OP's situation I wouldn't prescribe opioids even had he acted in a maturely, non drug seeking manner. Ironically I'd expect benzos to work while opioids doubtfully would in that situation, though you won't get or need either.

Post Quality Evaluations:
May not be what the OP wanted to hear but fair points, straight talking and tactfully expressed
Agreed, honest about the poster's intention, obviously has abuse issues.
Candid, blunt, and truthful
Old 12-03-2012, 23:08
Titanium Member

26 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Trancel0v3r is captain of the psychonauts.Trancel0v3r is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 215, Level: 2 Points: 215, Level: 2 Points: 215, Level: 2

There is at least one reason why you werent prescribed an opiate/oid possibly and possibly two; the first is that you specifically asked for tramadol - asking specifically for an opiate based painkiller will ring alarm bells in pretty much any doc worth his/her medical training.
The second is if they KNOW about your previous opiate/oid abuse this pretty much seals the deal.
And finally for me at least, the wording in your post suggests you werent using codeine for its intended use such as: you went there "hoping for an opiate/oid" instead of hoping for something that would relieve the pain (yes codeine relieves the pain but it seems thats a plus point as a reason for getting it) and - you have been sober "for 2 weeks" meaning that you have a history of abusing it.
There is a duty for a medical professional to weigh up the benefits of your illness/pain with how they choose to manage or treat you, and in this case with your desire to obtain opiate based relief coupled with past history of abuse it seems they chose to prescribe you something which you consider (any may be) less than ideal, yet try to avioid you becoming dependant or using them for the wrong reasons so ultimately in the future while you may not have the codeine for good pain relief or to use for its relaxation/euphoria; its preferable than them fuelling your addiction by prescribing it.....
Old 13-03-2012, 23:18

Male from United States
thegreenbird is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1

I agree with the OP that tramadol should be over the counter in the United States. I suffer from back pain (a result of a compression fracture) that will be agitated by rapid changes in weather patterns and temperature will put me into a painful hell. I asked a doctor before for something to help with the pain and he said to take Advil. Doctors can be aggravating with painkillers, which is why I think we should have a say in the matter.
Old 14-03-2012, 00:33

22 y/o Male from Canada
Liltony420 should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1

The problem is ppl can and do get high off them. They also have a great street value. Finding a primary physician is your best bet. Seeing the same doc allows you to earn their trust so they can work with you to treat your pain.

Answers the original question posed in a nutshell really
excellent advice in few words, well done
Old 14-03-2012, 00:50
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from United States
smoothupnu needs to post very carefully to avoid a ban by negative reputation.
Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

i noticed that after i turned thirty i was given opiates more times than not and once i hit 40 seems i can get anything i want/need. when i was in my twenties i found it pretty much impossible to find a doc to prescribe anything stronger than nsaid. nothing pisses me off worse than paying close to a $100 for office visit only to walk out with a script for fking "nsaid" or its equivalent.
i got to the point where i would o thru the honebook and go down the list calling to ask point blank does the doctor prescribe narcotics for pain.many said NO!some said "you'll just have to come in and see the doctor" and sometimes i would hear what i wanted .....YES!
Old 14-03-2012, 00:56
TheBigBadWolf TheBigBadWolf is nu online
..and your eyebrows

48 y/o Male from Germany
TheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 7,906, Level: 13 Points: 7,906, Level: 13 Points: 7,906, Level: 13
Activity: 34.4% Activity: 34.4% Activity: 34.4%

I second Marvolo's post.

BTW, what you described sounds like a block in your thoracic spine. Stabs like mad in the heart area and makes it difficult to breathe.- For this you'd rather need a relocation of your spine, not opiate painkillers.
Fighting symptoms has never cured anyone from anything.

On why it is so hard to get strong pain meds anything is said before. Just wanted to give you my impressions about what you said are your symptoms. I am no MD, but I am experienced in nursing and my spine is regularly blocked since I am twenty.

TBBW
Old 14-03-2012, 01:02
Mercury Member

46 y/o Male from United States
Chaz5773 needs to UTFSE some more before posting.

My Friend say's Honestly unless Your truely hurting big time stay away from any drugs. He said Vitamins and Herbs and Healthy Food living Right,Right He says. But Yea if truely hurting He says change doctors and have blood work done as well as talking truth to Your Dr. Now He said FLA it's easy other states rough. He said Tylenol eats up Your stomach lining and kills Your liver Understand in time. He said that is pain meds Side effects. He said the trade off is it kills Pain. He said One or Two 10 mg Hydrocodone a day ain't too bad any more than that isn't good for Ya.
Old 14-03-2012, 01:59
On Hiatus

Male from United States
baZING is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumbaZING is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumbaZING is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumbaZING is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumbaZING is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumbaZING is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumbaZING is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumbaZING is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumbaZING is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumbaZING is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumbaZING is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 6,642, Level: 11 Points: 6,642, Level: 11 Points: 6,642, Level: 11
Activity: 19.6% Activity: 19.6% Activity: 19.6%

There's a pretty simple answer to your question, too, and that's "it's difficult to be prescribed pain medication because it isn't candy and can't be dispensed as such." You must remember that every doctor with a DEA no. is constantly under scrutiny and must be extremely careful when prescribing narcotic pain medication.

The other important thing to remember is that not all pain responds well to opioids/opiates, so perhaps your doctor thought that you were better off with a stronger NSAID than a narcotic? Just because diclofenac is another NSAID doesn't mean it's the same thing as all the others you were taking. Many people have this really broad misconception that severe pain must warrant an opiate script. Not true at all. As already stated, different types of pain respond differently to different classes of medication and opiates should not really be used as first-line treatment except in post-operative situations. For example, narcotics are considered almost useless for some of the most painful neurological disorders (cluster headaches, fibromyalgia, etc.). Ask a cluster sufferer if they've ever felt a worse pain; they'll universally tell you they haven't. Ask most if narcotics work; they'll tell you water works better.

In addition, your doctor is probably assuming your pain is acute and will thus be short-lived. She prescribed diclofenac thinking it would be the most effective treatment for your pain with the least likely to create excess harm. She is assuming your pain will clear up shortly, and the prescription she wrote is enough to take care of it. It's not a conspiracy against getting you opiates.

Good job being clean for two whole weeks, but IMO that hardly gives you bragging rights of "I used to be an addict." If anyone ever ceases being an addict. In fact, have you considered your pain could have something to do with PAWS (Post-Acute-Withdrawal-Syndrome)? Or that it could be psychosomatic, and you're craving opiates and all of a sudden your body is aching and you know some codeine will scratch that itch? Just some things to think about, because two weeks clean off an opiate habit is small change for such a physically and psychologically addictive class of drugs. Those are two things you can't rule out. Do some reading on PAWS here.

Good advice, fair and kind, but honest.
Old 14-03-2012, 02:14
captaintripps Gold member captaintripps is nu online
Gold Member

57 y/o Male from USA - Washington
captaintripps must mainline Medlinecaptaintripps must mainline Medlinecaptaintripps must mainline Medlinecaptaintripps must mainline Medlinecaptaintripps must mainline Medlinecaptaintripps must mainline Medlinecaptaintripps must mainline Medlinecaptaintripps must mainline Medlinecaptaintripps must mainline Medlinecaptaintripps must mainline Medlinecaptaintripps must mainline Medline
Points: 3,262, Level: 8 Points: 3,262, Level: 8 Points: 3,262, Level: 8
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%

1. Doctors very widely on how they view prescribing opiates. So step one is to find a doctor who is not adverse to prescribing them on principle. One good way to find one is if you have family or friends who have pain issues and get adequate pain meds. Find out who their doctor is. One thing I have found is that older doctors are actually more liberal about prescribing. I think they brainwash the young ones in medical school these days.

2. If possible go see this doctor for a physical when you are not in pain. Give them your medical history. Things like back pain, headaches and history of things like gout or arthritis should be mentioned so they are on the record, before you see them for pain issues.

3. When you do see them for pain issues, make sure it is a legitimate pain issue, preferably one that is easy for them to verify like a slipped disk, rather than "general back pain".

4. If you do have to mention opiates to get them, explain your experiences with them. That you have had a history of back problems or surgery's where you have been given opiates before. If you mentioned these things in your original medical history, that should not raise eyebrows. They might even be more liberal as they know you will be familiar with the medication. Keep in mind, some people actually break Vicodin 5's in half because they space them out so bad. (God I wish)

5. Go to the doctor for all you medical needs. Go to them for your flu shot, not some pharmacy. This not only gives them a financial reason to keep you reasonably happy, but also establishes trust. Shows that you are seeking health care, not just pain relief. It also gives them a defense if the power that be question their giving you opiates. This is one reason doctors don't like to prescribe them, scrutiny by medical boards and DEA. When they say they are your primary care doctor and you come in every year for your physicals. Come to them when you have the flu or have a skin rash, they can say that they know all about your health issues. That is much better cover, than some doctor at a clinic who sees a patient for the first time, and says, "well he says he was in pain".

6. Don't abuse things. When I go to my physical I ask for vicodin and flexaril for my ongoing back issues. I don't hurt everyday, but frequently have problems. This has been an issue since I was about 17 years old and got into my first car accident. He gives me 60 7.5's, it says I can take 2 per day. There are no refills, but I can call and ask for them. I have never been turned down. Even though that comes out to 30 days worth, I never ask more often than every three months. This shows both that I am not abusing them nor getting hooked on them. If I want pills to get high, I will buy them on the street. I don't want to be left high and dry when I am in real pain. Also, if you are in extreme pain and need something stronger you can always say the vicodin is not going to work. Since they know you are familiar with it, they are likely not to question it. During an extreme case of gout my doctor not only gave me 100, 30 mil oxy's he gave me a shot of Demerol as well.

great post, very informative
Old 14-03-2012, 02:22
Silver Member

Male from United States
Doctor Who is captain of the psychonauts.Doctor Who is captain of the psychonauts.Doctor Who is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 482, Level: 3 Points: 482, Level: 3 Points: 482, Level: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by baZING View Post
There's a pretty simple answer to your question, too, and that's "it's difficult to be prescribed pain medication because it isn't candy and can't be dispensed as such." You must remember that every doctor with a DEA no. is constantly under scrutiny and must be extremely careful when prescribing narcotic pain medication.
This Is Very True... Of course no Child is left to oneself to indulge at random in an unlimited store of cake and candy, such things are doled out by their elders with discretion. But the main Reason so many people are left to suffer in Pain is Doctors Fear of the "Drug Cops" who continue to wage a ceaseless war against any Doctor who dares to prescribe anything that actually makes one feel good. They have a tremendous budget, extorted from taxpayers & have to use it for something, since taking on the "cartels" is about as useless as King Canute's fight to hold back the sea. Doctors & Pain Clinics ( along with medical marijuana ) are easy targets, just sit back, scan pharmacy computer records & move in for the "kill", another Doctor or clinic put out of business, hundreds of people left to suffer or buy pain meds on the street ( no need to wonder why docs are afraid to prescribe ) & another "Victory" in the War-On-People-Who-Use-Some-Drugs!!!

PEACE!

Last edited by Doctor Who; 14-03-2012 at 02:23. Reason: typos
Old 21-03-2012, 15:10
Silver Member

Male from USA - Virginia
whocaresdude91 is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 1,023, Level: 4 Points: 1,023, Level: 4 Points: 1,023, Level: 4

Do you guys also think the way you look also determines whether or not the doctor will prescribe you opiate /opioid medications? I am a 20 year old physically in shape male, lift a lot of weights, and I have a half sleeve tatoo. I feel like if an old grandma went in with the same problem, she would be prescribed morphine!
Old 22-03-2012, 20:42
Silver Member

22 y/o Female from United Kingdom
[tanarilla.] is on the way up[tanarilla.] is on the way up[tanarilla.] is on the way up
Points: 1,004, Level: 4 Points: 1,004, Level: 4 Points: 1,004, Level: 4

If you suffer from pain in that area that should be looked into - pain anywhere in your upper half can point to a heart or lung problem - heart more likely if it's your chest/arms, lung if back/sides - to me it sounds like a respiratory issue, especially if you have pain breathing...not to be horrible, but painkillers isn't exactly what you need, rather a proper examination of your chest cavity...as an opiate would only hide further symptoms or the worsening of them. I'm surprised your doctor did not send you for a chest X-ray. I would request it. Once the problem is identified, then you can be treated for it. The reason they won't prescribe you anything is because they don't know what's causing your pain.

great point on the respiratory issues

Last edited by [tanarilla.]; 22-03-2012 at 20:47.
Old 23-03-2012, 00:14

23 y/o Male from United States
CY33 should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 49, Level: 1 Points: 49, Level: 1 Points: 49, Level: 1

SWIM hasn't had many problems getting narcotics.

1. got prescribed 20 norco's for my wisdom teeth removal, SWIM's first opiate experience.
2. got 20 10/650 watson's for a minor surgery.
3. got 15 7.5/750 hydro's after having a cavity filled. all SWIM said was the last one was painful for me and it was unbearable(not really, SWIM wanted to see if he could get narcotics and didn't think it would work) and it actually worked. so, so surprising getting narcotics for a damn cavity.
4. on two different occasions, SWIM went to a minor care for back pain. while SWIM was feeling a little pain, it wasn't extremely painful and again, SWIM wanted to see if he come out of it with narcotics. the first time SWIM got 20 5/500 hydros, the second time he got 15 5/500 hydros.

so basically, if you run into the right doctors, you can easily get narcotics in SWIM's experience. and don't expect anything like oxy's or something strong like that. as long as you're content with hydrocodone or something similar, it should all be good.
Old 02-08-2013, 18:50
Silver Member

Female from United States
scholastica probably knows what they are talking about.scholastica probably knows what they are talking about.scholastica probably knows what they are talking about.scholastica probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 537, Level: 3 Points: 537, Level: 3 Points: 537, Level: 3

read some of the posts that go something like this. Hey man I told my doctor bla bla bla, and he fell for it and now ive got fentanyl patches all over my body and one wrapped around a cigarette and im so frigging high, but I cant breathe too good what should I do? That might give you some insight as to why it is difficult for people with legitimate pain to get narcotics when they really need them, and if they do get them have to jump through hoops of fire while whistling Dixie.

The pain you describe sounds inflammatory, as you deduced in your OP. That is why that oh so stupid doctor gave you the nsaid that you needed, one that is stronger than the ones you said you used and did not work, not the tramadol you wanted.

You listed acetaminophen as an nsaid in your OP. It is not an ansaid.

schola
Old 02-08-2013, 23:45
Silver Member

28 y/o Female from United States
SilverStars is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1
Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3%

I had severe tooth pain one time..Went to urgent care and they told me to take Motrin. lapped forehead: Yeah that was frustrating considering i didnt ask for anything to begin with. It was until I went to a dentist did i get vicodin. Anyway, I believe doctors are more reluctant these days due to the crazy amount of pill addiction going on and just the plain danger of these things. Most docs have good pill seeker radar these days as well so its not as easy to get. I feel your frustration though..It sucks when you are in legit pain and you get told to pop a Tylenol.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:46
Silver Member

Female from United States
scholastica probably knows what they are talking about.scholastica probably knows what they are talking about.scholastica probably knows what they are talking about.scholastica probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 537, Level: 3 Points: 537, Level: 3 Points: 537, Level: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnerek21 View Post
I get 3 grams of pure codeine every 2 weeks for my back pain. Straight away I said that I don't want any NSAID medicines because I get nasty stomach pains from them and other side effects. I mentioned that I've been advised codeine for pain, and they gave it to me no probs.

I repeat prescriptions since 2010 now, getting shitloads of benzos, tramadol, codeine, dihydrocodeine and even pseudoephedrine along with potassium permanganate for methcathinone synthesis. I even told them about my coke/phet abuse and they still don't give a fuck. All they did was sent me on physiotherapy, but I never actually went there.

Codeine is a weak opiate but it does just fine in mixes with benzos, tramadol or as a support on comedowns

Dressing nice and clean, good manners, smile and welcoming attitude helps a lot. Do that and you'll get your point across with your doctors no probs
This is your answer. This is why it can be difficult to get narcotics prescribed.
Old 03-08-2013, 14:56
Titanium Member

Female from Earth
Beenthere2Hippie must mainline MedlineBeenthere2Hippie must mainline MedlineBeenthere2Hippie must mainline MedlineBeenthere2Hippie must mainline MedlineBeenthere2Hippie must mainline MedlineBeenthere2Hippie must mainline MedlineBeenthere2Hippie must mainline MedlineBeenthere2Hippie must mainline MedlineBeenthere2Hippie must mainline MedlineBeenthere2Hippie must mainline MedlineBeenthere2Hippie must mainline Medline
Points: 4,564, Level: 10 Points: 4,564, Level: 10 Points: 4,564, Level: 10
Activity: 36.1% Activity: 36.1% Activity: 36.1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by scholastica View Post
This is your answer. This is why it can be difficult to get narcotics prescribed.
I don't agree, Schola. I too have been in the position where doctors chose not to give me the medication my situation called for and understand David's plight. Also, we have no way of knowing the seriousness or the extent of his medical condition--nor can any of us judge his pain level--or that of anyone else, for that matter.

I have been denied pain medication by doctors who were waiting for another physician to step in, so they could avoid having to take on the responsiblity of issuing me meds and being referred to as My Treating Physician. After weeks of tests and different neurosurgeons who called my case too complex for them to operate on me, it was discovered by my great physician, Dr. Barth Green, during surgery (five-level laminoplasty) that my cervical spine injuries (C3-C7) also included a small syrinx. I had a follow-up surgery six years later, when the placed a drainage shunt on the syrinx that had gotten much larger and was causing swelling and many other possible complications(C-5).

I was in horrible pain before my first surgery, and no one--no one--would really help till Dr. Green stepped in and took over and handled things properly.

David is not a self-medicator, from what we all have read. That means he just needs relief from pain. No one in this day and age should be denied pain medication for injury, in his case an injury that's in its third round.

Thank you for reading this.
Old 04-08-2013, 18:36
in.pain in.pain is nu online
Silver Member

52 y/o Male from Canada
in.pain is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 125, Level: 1 Points: 125, Level: 1 Points: 125, Level: 1
Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9%

If someone is young, healthy and in very good physical shape why would opiates ever be considered a first course of treatment for common or simple pain?

What is happening with this generation that when a simple ache or pain arises that it must be completely eliminated with an opiate, aside from the fact of going to a doctor for it in the first place.
Maybe I’m just getting old but almost 100% of my aches, pains and complaints have resolved themselves without intervention form a doctor.

Am I wrong or just from a generation who accepted some pain was enabled and a good warning sign?
Old 05-08-2013, 23:45

30 y/o Male from Argentina
Luisfe83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1

Basically in every south american country strong opiates are reserved for end of life situations, on the other hand, codeine up to 50mg and tramadol up to 100mg are OTC and given to patients with no questions asked. At least you have to be in an hospital setting to get some IV morphine, and thats if you are extremely lucky, its usually IV tramadol for severe pain and IV morphine for extreme pain.

They will discharge you with a bunch of NSAIDs and thats it, oxy is my doc, and I know no one who even have tried it or listen about it, opiates are unknown for the vast majority of people.

Kind of sad because people with legit pain have no access to good pain management, but kind of nice because opiate addiction is pretty much unheard of in this part of the globe.
Old 18-08-2013, 17:54

Male from United States
Davidj980 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1
Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6%

I have spent some time wrestling with this question for a few weeks after going through my own battle with being under-treated for a "massive disc herniation"(surgeon's words in my chart) and disc degeneration. I have done several alternative treatment for the pain: massage, rest, jacuzzi and others. What I have learned is that pain negatively effects every aspect of my existence: Emotionally, Mentally and Physically. It's crazy how my massage therapist works on a totally unrelated, uninjured area of my body and it hurts because it is compensating for the radiating pain down my right leg. My neck hurts. My shoulders muscles are working harder too. I took the epidural injection which has helped about 20-30% reduction after 7 days. But I still take Vicodin 5/500 x 2 daily q 8 hours. I don't want to have to any of this. I wish I had my life back without pain and pain avoidance being central concerns of my daily routine. Narcotics help me in this regard. However, when faced with this type of daily living it is so easy to fall into "dependence" on the medicine. Legit dependence. Illustrated like this: "I better not do this because I will need to take a Vicodin and it's too late in the day for one. I will get better milage from that pill tomorrow when I have the whole day" or "we need to go shopping, I'll take my pill". When that kind of thinking becomes more than just conscious but becomes the central framework of your thinking it becomes worrisome. This experience has opened my eyes to what chronic pain patients suffer. Pain is extremely serious. And anyone who can't demonstrate compassion, I believe doesn't know what it is.
Old 23-08-2013, 14:37
Silver Member

27 y/o Male from Slovenia
Knowledge_Seeker is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1
Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1%

Just a short terminological note as I see that there is some confusion regarding this:

Opiates are those substances that occur naturally in the poppy plant: morphine, codeine, thebaine, etc. Opiods are a wider group that includes all of these, as well as semi-synthetic and synthetic substances acting on the opioid receptors.

Heroin is not an opiate, and neither are oxycodone, methadone, etc...

Not wrong, but it doesn't add much to the thread because the difference is inconsequential to this specific discussion. While opiates/oids are technically not the same, both are "pain medications." When posting, please be aware of topic and context.

Share this on:

Tags
codeine, doctor advice, opiate, opiate abuse, opiate addict, opiates, opioid, opioid painkillers, opioids, tramadol