Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery > Opiate addiction
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Opiate addiction Support for coping with Opiate addiction and Opiate addiction treatment.

Old 06-03-2012, 17:40
Silver Member

37 y/o Male from Germany
pema is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 173, Level: 2 Points: 173, Level: 2 Points: 173, Level: 2
Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3%
Withdrawal symptoms - frequent urination

What causes this specific opiate withdrawal symptom? Frequent Urination

A withdrawal symptom which probably has nothing to do with the brain is the frequent urge to urinate during withdrawal.
During withdrawal I really often have to go to the toilet. In order to find a (herbal?) remedy, I want to understand how this happens.

Maybe it can be explained when I understand the cause of the urinary retention caused by opioids. But I cannot find anything about this, too. Why do you have to urinate so often in withdrawal?
(Together with the sweating causes this probably a greater loss of fluid and electrolytes. What is the best way to compensate this? Drinking much water? Could cause even more sweating and cannot compensate electrolyte loss. - Drinking green tea? Good because of flavonoids? Bad because of coffeine? - Electrolyte drinks? Homemade recipe?)

As I looked up "Vasopressin" in another case, I found that it is also called "antidiuretic hormone" (ADH). I alwasy thought that it plays a role in inflammation and blood pressure.
But the first sentence in the english version of wikipedia is:
Quote:
One of the most important roles of AVP is to regulate the body's retention of water; it is released when the body is dehydrated and causes the kidneys to conserve water, thus concentrating the urine and reducing urine volume.
and later on I found a short remark
Quote:
In the perioperative period, the effects of surgical stress and some commonly used medications (e.g., opiates, syntocinon, anti-emetics) lead to a similar state of excess vasopressin secretion. This may cause mild hyponatremia for several days.
So opiates seem to be responsible for an augmented release of the antidiuretic hormone. Can this be the cause of the urinary retension? Why is is mainly a problem when somebody starts to take opioides? After a time of regularly use, it seems that nearly nobody has this problem anymore.
Does the body gets acclimated to the augmented ADH release in some way? I have no theory what happens during withdrawal but it looks like as there could be a connection between ADH secretion and the frequent urinations during withdrawal.
Maybe there are some plants that can also lead to vasopressin secretion (but in a lighter way as opioids)? That could possibly help..?
Who knows something about that?
Old 14-03-2012, 15:09
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

27 y/o Male from United Kingdom
pharmaco is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Withdrawal symptoms - frequent urination

Opiates cause urinary retention, so whilst on them one would urinate less! When going through withdrawal one will urinate more as the body fights to normalize itself, I believe its also due to electrolyte changes in your blood! Hope it was of value friend!!

Post Quality Evaluations:
Good information about electrolyte changes.
Old 15-03-2012, 17:43
Silver Member

44 y/o Male from Canada
prado t is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 53, Level: 1 Points: 53, Level: 1 Points: 53, Level: 1
Activity: 1.9% Activity: 1.9% Activity: 1.9%

Hi , I have frequent urination when I am dropping my methadone dose ( like from 15mls to 10mls) I also frequently urinate when coming off the H . Like an average of 3 times an hour .
Old 15-03-2012, 18:16
Titanium Member

47 y/o Male from United States
brettjv really adds to the discussion.brettjv really adds to the discussion.brettjv really adds to the discussion.brettjv really adds to the discussion.brettjv really adds to the discussion.brettjv really adds to the discussion.
Points: 553, Level: 3 Points: 553, Level: 3 Points: 553, Level: 3

This is the kind of withdrawal symptom that is so mild and non-troubling in relation to the overall w/d syndrome that I can't see why anyone would possibly wish to take something to try to actively avoid it. It's part of the healing process, so just go pee for god sakes! It's gonna be the least of your concerns while you're dopesick.

Not necessarily, do not underestimate how debilitating this can be just because your mileage varies.
True, I'd be more worried about feeling like I want to die.
Old 15-03-2012, 18:54
Silver Member

44 y/o Male from Canada
prado t is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 53, Level: 1 Points: 53, Level: 1 Points: 53, Level: 1
Activity: 1.9% Activity: 1.9% Activity: 1.9%

It can be troubling if you are at work and run a big machine ! It also can scare people (especially men over 40) . Like great! Im cleaning up and my prostate is F-ed due to all the bloody constitpations I have had over the years of doing Junk!

Sometimes the constant urge to pee on top of the shakes (rattles) can be troubling for some and me.

Excellent point, well done for validating your experience. I can certainly relate.
Old 15-03-2012, 21:05
Silver Member

29 y/o Male from United States
dopefromie is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 216, Level: 2 Points: 216, Level: 2 Points: 216, Level: 2
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%

i always thought it was just from being able to feel your bladder correctly again..just feels like you gotta go more than you do..when i have to pee more when im sick its never like a full piss. ya know?
Old 16-03-2012, 06:41
Titanium Member

47 y/o Male from United States
brettjv really adds to the discussion.brettjv really adds to the discussion.brettjv really adds to the discussion.brettjv really adds to the discussion.brettjv really adds to the discussion.brettjv really adds to the discussion.
Points: 553, Level: 3 Points: 553, Level: 3 Points: 553, Level: 3

Really it's cause there's just a rule that when you're dopesick, every single part of your body has to be screwed up in some way. Nothing is allowed to operate with any semblance of normalcy, and MUST, instead, totally fuck with you.
Old 25-07-2013, 16:35

34 y/o Male from Earth
natellica is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

I'm dealing with this now. On day 12. Most symptoms seem to have subsided except the frequent urination.

Having a hard time finding out what I should do. Is this all in my mind?
Old 24-10-2013, 14:40

Female from United States
keirasmom is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1
Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by prado t View Post
Hi , I have frequent urination when I am dropping my methadone dose ( like from 15mls to 10mls) I also frequently urinate when coming off the H . Like an average of 3 times an hour .
Hi! I would like to know what your dose equals to in milligrams. I am currently in MMT and have been for 2.5 years. My highest was 60 mgs and my lowest was 11 mgs a day. Right now I'm at 22 and trying to taper out. Just the last few days after having severe withdrawals with 2 hospital visits just last Thurs I have noticed I am having the urge to urinate but only tinkling. On top of that the anxiety is unreal but I chose to continue on. With being addicted to Percocets for 7 years and on this crap for 2.5 I feel the methadone is way worse trying to come off of than the pills. It's a trade for one thing but the program did help me get my life back. I'd like to know how you're doing on yours and if you've experienced any of the same things?
Old 24-10-2013, 14:46

23 y/o Male from Malta
Aghori Baba is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

well it is very irritating being sick and having to wake up evry 20 mins to half piss yourself
Old 24-10-2013, 15:03
Palladium Member

33 y/o Male from United States
trdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 7,503, Level: 12 Points: 7,503, Level: 12 Points: 7,503, Level: 12
Activity: 3.4% Activity: 3.4% Activity: 3.4%

Glad I saw this. It's freaking annoying. I can drink something (water, coffee, ect...) to hydrate myself and have to piss it out the next 15 minutes........it's really really annoying. I'm like "can't I just drink something without pissing it out all the fucking time".

Thank you for posting this, helps me know I don't have some worse problem going on.

I will up the electrolytes by the way, thanks for that information.
Old 28-10-2013, 12:15

One thing I found to be great was Smart Water. Being mainly a Mountain Dew and sweet tea drinker for the last 7 years I know it can be aggravating as hell. Since my brief hospital stay on Oct 17, I have dropped my soda intake by at least 75%. The Smart Water helped to hydrate me and since that post my bladder isn't half as bad! I don't drink anything at least 3 hours before bed because if I don't I'll be up it seems like 50 fucking times. I'm tapering down and the anxiety has subsided a lot and that's the best thing yet! I hope you're doing wel! How did the Dr's appt go?

keirasmom added 1 Minutes and 9 Seconds later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aghori Baba View Post
well it is very irritating being sick and having to wake up evry 20 mins to half piss yourself
Can I give you any advice or help?

Good advice on Smart Water and on abstaining from liquids a few hours before bed.

Last edited by keirasmom; 28-10-2013 at 12:15. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 13-01-2014, 22:09
Silver Member

Anonmouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettjv View Post
This is the kind of withdrawal symptom that is so mild and non-troubling in relation to the overall w/d syndrome that I can't see why anyone would possibly wish to take something to try to actively avoid it. It's part of the healing process, so just go pee for god sakes! It's gonna be the least of your concerns while you're dopesick.
Honestly, no. It's HORRIBLE. I actually came to this thread because it is driving me insane! It's like this constant having to pee feel ing, and you can pretty much say forget sleep. It might not sound bad, but it is insane
Old 20-01-2014, 13:26

I know exactly how you feel. With me it got to a point where I didn't want to drink anything. With taking opiates I noticed I was hardly peeing. Now that I have come off of the pills and am now on Methadone it's totally different. Now on top of that I'm pregnant so I'm peeing like a fucking Russian racehorse. It is aggravating as hell. I can tell you that as time passes it does get better. If you try to think about the benefits and why you are doing it, it may help. Don't drink anything at least 3 hrs before bed and if you can start walking a little through out the day if possible(if you're not already) that may help some. I know it's bad but it's worth it. You could try some Melatonin, Valerian or Chamomile to try to catch some zzz"s. Believe me I know this is just as worse as any other symptom and it will get better with the passing days. Just try to keep your head up and don't give up! It's worth everything we go through to get back to the better part of us! For anyone who doesn't have anything nice or positive to say, maybe you should try to console someone instead of getting all ornery! We all have different symptoms and we all know that some adjust faster than others but that does not make it less bearable! I wish you the best of luck with everything and if you ever need to talk or need advice I am always here! Some people will sympathize and share in their stories with you instead of just telling you to pretty much "get over it"! Have a great day!!

Share this on:

Tags
opiate addiction, opiate withdrawal, urination problems, withdrawal, withdrawal symptoms