Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Downers and sleeping pills > Benzodiazepines
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Benzodiazepines All about benzodiazepines (downers)

Old 28-02-2012, 21:47

42 y/o Male from United States
LouR is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 68, Level: 1 Points: 68, Level: 1 Points: 68, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
How long can one take Xanax without getting hooked?

Swim is kicking Subs at the moment. He doesn't abuse Xanax, but he's been using them to sleep while he goes through WD. He was using about 1MG the first 5-6 nights for sleep, and has used about .25MG the last couple of nights.

Is he in the danger zone, or no big deal? He might be at a point where he can sleep with some nyquil if need be (the worst is over, but some symptoms are lingering and won't go away!).
Old 29-02-2012, 02:37
Palladium Member

Male from United States
baZING is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumbaZING is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumbaZING is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumbaZING is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumbaZING is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumbaZING is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumbaZING is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumbaZING is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumbaZING is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumbaZING is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumbaZING is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 6,642, Level: 11 Points: 6,642, Level: 11 Points: 6,642, Level: 11
Activity: 19.6% Activity: 19.6% Activity: 19.6%
Re: How long can one take Xanax without getting hooked? Swim needs them to aid in Sub

Well, it really depends on what you mean by "hooked." Are you asking about physical addiction, as in "how long will they continue to help me sleep?" You're really in no danger right now, but it's best to use benzos as infrequently as possible when used for sleep. It's best to use them as infrequently as possible for any reason, really, but especially sleep... it won't take long for the hypnotic effects of the alprazolam to wane. If you can use an antihistamine (diphenhydramine etc.) to sleep, now is probably a good time to make the switch, but you're probably still within an appropriate window to be using the Xanax if needed for insomnia. In addition, .25mg is a very low dose and the fact you cut back to that from the initial 1mg was a smart move.

As a side note, please refrain from using slang such as "Subs" as much as possible, as this is an international forum. It would also be helpful to avoid brand names when discussing pharmaceuticals whenever you can; e.g. use "alprazolam" over "Xanax".
Old 29-02-2012, 15:48

Re: How long can one take Xanax without getting hooked? Swim needs them to aid in Sub

Thanks for the response.

SWIM meant how long till there's a physical dependance, ie: potential for withdrawal? He don't want to end up adding to his anxiety and overall situation since quitting opiates.

Last night, SWIM took .125mgs Alprozolam, helped enough.

SWIM expects to have some trouble sleeping for at least another week, at the .125mgs dose. I'm guessing this will be okay?

SWIM will give your suggestion of using an antihistamine a try. So some plain old Benadryl should do the trick? He's been using cough meds (nyquil) to help sleep as well but I wonder if they're what's causing him to wake up a bit hung over. Might be the WD symptoms though.

Thanks so much for your input, it's really SWIM really appreciates it!
Old 29-02-2012, 18:02
Gold Member

Male from Ireland
Cuberun really adds to the discussion.Cuberun really adds to the discussion.Cuberun really adds to the discussion.Cuberun really adds to the discussion.Cuberun really adds to the discussion.Cuberun really adds to the discussion.
Points: 1,966, Level: 6 Points: 1,966, Level: 6 Points: 1,966, Level: 6
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

At those low doses around 3 weeks would probably exhibit mild WD symptoms but don't push it. Stop taking them as soon as you can.
Old 29-02-2012, 18:22
Silver Member

21 y/o Male from USA - Minnesota
Emin is captain of the psychonauts.Emin is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 299, Level: 2 Points: 299, Level: 2 Points: 299, Level: 2
Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6%

I agree with using DPH (Benadryl). About two months ago I jumped off a massive clonazepam habit (~6mg a day) cold turkey and used 50mg DPH and 5mg olanzapine (Zyprexa) to sleep. After a few days I did not like the side-effects of the olanzapine, so I stopped that. Ever since I have used 50mg DPH every night and an occasional zolpidem (Ambien) 10mg once or twice a week for when I know I need sleep. It works very well for me!
Old 29-02-2012, 20:26

Thanks guys. SWIM will try to stop usage and see if an antihistamine helps enough.

Buprenorphine (Suboxone) is a tough kick. Lasts really long, even though SWIM cut down to .25mgs a day before quitting. Methadone seemed easier, though it's hard to compare doses (and SWIM's body is older and maybe less resilient).

Thanks.
Old 29-02-2012, 22:01
Gold Member

Male from Ireland
Cuberun really adds to the discussion.Cuberun really adds to the discussion.Cuberun really adds to the discussion.Cuberun really adds to the discussion.Cuberun really adds to the discussion.Cuberun really adds to the discussion.
Points: 1,966, Level: 6 Points: 1,966, Level: 6 Points: 1,966, Level: 6
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouR View Post
Thanks guys. SWIM will try to stop usage and see if an antihistamine helps enough.

Buprenorphine (Suboxone) is a tough kick. Lasts really long, even though SWIM cut down to .25mgs a day before quitting. Methadone seemed easier, though it's hard to compare doses (and SWIM's body is older and maybe less resilient).

Thanks.
Yes, you can also try unisom (doxylamine). I prefer it because diphenhydramine makes me so groggy when I wake up.

Last edited by Cuberun; 29-02-2012 at 22:19.

Share this on:

Tags
suboxone, withdrawal, xanax