Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Ethnobotanicals > Kratom
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Kratom Mitragyna speciosa

Old 22-02-2012, 15:36
Palladium Member

33 y/o Male from United States
trdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 7,333, Level: 12 Points: 7,333, Level: 12 Points: 7,333, Level: 12
Activity: 4.5% Activity: 4.5% Activity: 4.5%
kratom use and high blood pressure

About three weeks ago, I noticed something disturbing about the effects that kratom is now giving me.

I have lowered my dosage greatly. When I first started taking kratom for withdrawals from norcos (hydrocodone 10/325) I was taking 10g every 4 to 6 hours. One day I took the 10g in a dose and got REALLY messed up including throwing up. So I knew I had to lower it, fast forward a couple months later and I am taking 5 to 7g even after I stop taking the norcos.

What I noticed though is recently, I take my 6 or 7 grams before going to work, then about 4 to 5 hours later take another 6 or 7 grams and everything is fine. However, when I am off of work, regardless if I take another 6 or 7 grams 4 to 5 hours to total three times taking the kratom, my blood pressure goes sky high.

I thought at first this was happening because I was taking to much even in lowered doses. The problem was, I noticed that even if I didn't take it again that day, my blood pressure spikes.

Does anyone know anything about this? Why is 2 times okay without spike in blood pressure but then 4 to 8 hours later I always get the spike in blood pressure?

Oh, even after not taking the kratom for 3 to 8 days it still happens when I take the kratom again.
Old 22-02-2012, 20:22
Platinum Member & Advisor

38 y/o Male from Ireland
ianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 19,649, Level: 20 Points: 19,649, Level: 20 Points: 19,649, Level: 20
Activity: 99.9% Activity: 99.9% Activity: 99.9%
Re: kratom use and high blood pressure

Ive no idea how i would even check my blood pressure at home.
Ive often wondered if kratom has some effect on circulation or blood though. I regularly get very painfull legs from using (over using) kratom, and there has always been a noticable discomfort that lasts several weeks after stopping its use.

Coupled with the RLS, and some other unusual issues in my legs ive wondered how kratom could be responsible. Perhaps it is a blood pressure issue?

I think i would have to have myself tested though, to see an actual change in pressure first.

Sorry i cant be of more help.
Old 22-02-2012, 20:37
Silver Member

Female from United States
Morrigan_la_Fey is a decent psychonaut.Morrigan_la_Fey is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 197, Level: 2 Points: 197, Level: 2 Points: 197, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

I haven't the foggiest but I do notice a headache a few hours after my last dose. Now I'm wondering if that could be related as well. I don't have a cuff at home; I'm going to the doc tomorrow though, I can dose before I leave and see if my bp is up when she checks it, then let you guys know.
Old 22-02-2012, 22:20
Titanium Member

26 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Trancel0v3r is captain of the psychonauts.Trancel0v3r is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 215, Level: 2 Points: 215, Level: 2 Points: 215, Level: 2
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%

At a guess, SWIM thinks that regularly using something that lowers blood pressure, causes a spike in it in the hours/days afterwards in the withdrawal period, alcohol has been a huge problem for SWIM, after binge drinking for years, now after a very heavy session it spikes to dangerous levels, 170/115 is not uncommon.
Regarding opiates he knows codeine lowers it and he believes that after stopping regular and or heavy usage it causes hypertension as a withdrawal symptom.
Anyway my point is that this may be true for other opiates, or infact any substance that lowers it while under the influence of itself, hence why withdrawal effects are often the opposite of a drugs effects. I appreciate that while you may not be experiencing any noticable WD's, high blood pressure could still result if what I think is true. Hope this helps somewhat.....
Old 23-02-2012, 00:53
Palladium Member

trdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum

I think I found the answer. According to a website that sadly has a vendor attached to it, if you use most stimulants combined with kratom, it can effect blood pressure and raise it. Which makes sense because I do have a LOT of caffeine because of working graveyard.

Last edited by trdofbeingtrd; 23-02-2012 at 01:48. Reason: Correction
Old 23-02-2012, 00:58
Platinum Member & Advisor

38 y/o Male from Ireland
ianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 19,649, Level: 20 Points: 19,649, Level: 20 Points: 19,649, Level: 20
Activity: 99.9% Activity: 99.9% Activity: 99.9%

That information is several years old (2004), its the basic kratom FAQ that vendors used to use.

Last edited by ianzombie; 23-02-2012 at 01:49.
Old 23-02-2012, 01:19
Titanium Member

rawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medlinerawbeer must mainline Medline
Points: 3,205, Level: 8 Points: 3,205, Level: 8 Points: 3,205, Level: 8
Activity: 8.2% Activity: 8.2% Activity: 8.2%

I have combined Kratom with decent doses of caffeine (up to 5 cups of strong coffee, dosing w/ 3g or so of kratom within the hour) and never noticed anything. I've drank coffee while one Kratom but never more than 2 cups, and the effect was not noticeable. Once the Kratom takes effect I forget I've ever drank coffee, it gets buried under the much more pleasurable Kratom stimulation. Of course like Ian I have no idea how I would determine my blood pressure at home but I have never noticed any difference in effects from using Kratom baseline vs. with underlying strong caffeine stimulation.

I don't know what my blood pressure is - the last time my doctor told me the number (about a year ago) I looked confused and she said "that's good, nothing to worry about". And I do not use Kratom daily - typically I use it 2-3 times a week. No history of habitual opiate use, regular drinker and cannabis user, light smoker.

Anyway as someone who's combined Kratom and caffeine quite a few times I thought I'd mention that. I do tend to drink a little alcohol with kratom if I take it in the evenings so of course that could offset the blood pressure but I know I've taken Kratom right after coffee, not drank alcohol, and felt fine.

Do you have high blood pressure in general? How are you measuring your blood pressure at home?
Old 23-02-2012, 01:52
Palladium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawbeer View Post
I have combined Kratom with decent doses of caffeine (up to 5 cups of strong coffee, dosing w/ 3g or so of kratom within the hour) and never noticed anything. I've drank coffee while one Kratom but never more than 2 cups, and the effect was not noticeable. Once the Kratom takes effect I forget I've ever drank coffee, it gets buried under the much more pleasurable Kratom stimulation. Of course like Ian I have no idea how I would determine my blood pressure at home but I have never noticed any difference in effects from using Kratom baseline vs. with underlying strong caffeine stimulation.

I don't know what my blood pressure is - the last time my doctor told me the number (about a year ago) I looked confused and she said "that's good, nothing to worry about". And I do not use Kratom daily - typically I use it 2-3 times a week. No history of habitual opiate use, regular drinker and cannabis user, light smoker.

Anyway as someone who's combined Kratom and caffeine quite a few times I thought I'd mention that. I do tend to drink a little alcohol with kratom if I take it in the evenings so of course that could offset the blood pressure but I know I've taken Kratom right after coffee, not drank alcohol, and felt fine.

Do you have high blood pressure in general? How are you measuring your blood pressure at home?
Considering I drink about 4 to 5 cups of coffee, and anywhere from 1 to 2 big cans of "rockstar" or 2 to 3 small cans of "rockstar" and have a heavy opiate use, I think that's possibly why, however I will check and see. I hear what you are saying about not having that problem, but maybe it's because I take kratom every day 3 to 5 times a day (although I have lowered my dosage amount drastically) that I am having this problem.

I do not have high blood pressure as a rule, I am not able to measure it with a device, I just notice that suddenly I feel "odd" and then feel my pulse and it's VERY strong. I am guessing that if I buy a device from the local drug store I can put it down here or in a journal.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:58
Palladium Member

28 y/o Male from United States
Oxymorphone probably knows what they are talking about.Oxymorphone probably knows what they are talking about.Oxymorphone probably knows what they are talking about.Oxymorphone probably knows what they are talking about.Oxymorphone probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 709, Level: 4 Points: 709, Level: 4 Points: 709, Level: 4
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

My friend has something to monitor blood pressure I believe, I'll ask him about it. I am a regular kratom user, a couple times a day almost every day. I can stop without withdrawal and I feel just fine, in fact lately I've been feeling better when I DONT take kratom. I attribute this to my blood pressure being high, headaches and tremors and such.

A week and a half ago I cut two of my fingers pretty bad and had to go in to get stitches, they said my blood pressure was sky high. Now, over the last few months I have taken up drinking Energy drinks, usually one a day but sometimes two which was a habit I had some time ago and got out of. No doubt this has had an effect as well.. I actually found this thread as the first thing searching google for any links between high blood pressure and kratom use.

Comparing trd's experience with my own makes this seem pretty likely and if so is an ACTUAL potential danger of Kratom.

First thing I'll do is find out if he's actually got the blood pressure monitoring equipment, I can't exactly recall if he said that or ... if I just heard it hehe. I will likely have to quit taking Kratom very soon because of a LOT of financial difficulties so when I do Ill try to monitor my blood pressure at a few points in this process provided I'm able (doctors already robbed me blind, 2 ER charges, BS, long story) but to the best of my ability to do so I'll monitor it and I'll post about it here if I see a connection.

Now I don't know how useful this will be since I did mention I've been drinking energy drinks and I'm probably also going to stop drinking those, even sooner than I can monitor I think, as they don't do their job and .. well I've known it's bad for me for years. I wish I could monitor the effect from that more accurately so I could properly attribute any rise or fall to kratom... but what can ya do.

---UPDATE---
I'm not going to reply because this isn't really very useful.

I guess I just wanna post an update on this. My friend let me use his equipment twice and then I had a hell of a time getting ahold of him. I guess he changed his mind on letting me use it. Now he's gone and moved to Portland.

I could go to wal mart and measure my blood pressure there, but I'm just not willing to do that. I try to avoid the wal mart here at all costs, because the last few times I went there I was 'followed' back to my car by a bunch of people who don't even speak english - only time I've really been able to get there is at night, and oil country is pretty messed up. Anyway...

He shared his experience with me, in that Kratom did indeed lower his high blood pressure, which is the opposite of what I expected. However, he is nowhere near the user I am and so I'm not sure that's too helpful in the long-term. My own tests showed no change in blood pressure from quitting, but this only covered a span of 5 days and while my Kratom consumption stopped, my caffeine consumption didn't - this makes me lean more towards caffeine (energy drinks) being the culprit more than the Kratom. That's just my guess, though.

Last edited by Oxymorphone; 16-09-2012 at 08:42. Reason: update?
Old 16-06-2012, 19:12
Titanium Member

Male from United States
DiabolicScheme must live here.DiabolicScheme must live here.DiabolicScheme must live here.DiabolicScheme must live here.DiabolicScheme must live here.DiabolicScheme must live here.DiabolicScheme must live here.DiabolicScheme must live here.
Points: 1,174, Level: 5 Points: 1,174, Level: 5 Points: 1,174, Level: 5
Activity: 1.8% Activity: 1.8% Activity: 1.8%

Interesting, for me it *feels* like Kratom lowers my blood pressure but I haven't checked while using it. I'll have to check my blood pressure when I'm on it and see if mine also increases.
Old 21-06-2012, 19:58
Silver Member

21 y/o Male from United States
Fanatexe is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 66, Level: 1 Points: 66, Level: 1 Points: 66, Level: 1
Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4%

I haven't ever had a problem with high blood pressure, but i took mine the other day and it was a little high, the mouse in my garage takes kratom on a daily basis and was curious if Kratom is bad to take daily? He's taken Bali for several months and occasionally some Maeng Da, but the past couple weeks he's upped his kratom use to every day opposed to once every three or four days. Hopefully his kratom use doesn't have anything to do with this high blood pressure.
Old 21-06-2012, 20:24
Palladium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanatexe View Post
I haven't ever had a problem with high blood pressure, but i took mine the other day and it was a little high, the mouse in my garage takes kratom on a daily basis and was curious if Kratom is bad to take daily? He's taken Bali for several months and occasionally some Maeng Da, but the past couple weeks he's upped his kratom use to every day opposed to once every three or four days. Hopefully his kratom use doesn't have anything to do with this high blood pressure.
If done responsibly, kratom every day is not by any means deadly, and from what I understand, basically safe. Please understand that I intake a lot of caffeine and I have asthma medication that has ephedrine. The responses I got can give you some information about it.
Old 24-06-2012, 05:54
Silver Member

Male from United States
seaturtle must live here.seaturtle must live here.seaturtle must live here.seaturtle must live here.seaturtle must live here.seaturtle must live here.seaturtle must live here.
Points: 1,373, Level: 5 Points: 1,373, Level: 5 Points: 1,373, Level: 5
Activity: 10.3% Activity: 10.3% Activity: 10.3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawbeer View Post

SWIM has combined amphetamine with Kratom dozens of times and it's never been bad. Usually when SWIM is coming down and wants to feel better (T+~8 hours) but of course there's still plenty of amphetamine in the blood even at that point. Also SWIM often takes amphetamine+caffeine and then runs for 1-3 hours in the morning after a heavy Kratom dosage less than 12 hours before. BTW SWIM is talking about small dosages of Adderall, not meth!

SWIM has also combined Kratom and Cocaine and it was pretty damn good, but SWIM wouldn't recommend coke in general, worthless and expensive at the same time. Kratom is great to get rid of the coked out feeling is all SWIM is saying, and doesn't automatically kill SWIM at least (but SWIM has done that a few times or less).
Old 30-07-2012, 08:13
Silver Member

30 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Bamerit is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 117, Level: 1 Points: 117, Level: 1 Points: 117, Level: 1
Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2%

High blood pressure will generally give no signs or symptoms, therefore unless you are measuring your blood pressure with a machine, its highly likely that your symptoms are related to something else entirely.
However, i have a blood pressure machine at home and will measure my monkeys bp before, during and after he takes kratom just out of interest and will post back to see if there is any correlation between kratom and high bp...

Share this on:

Tags
adderall, adderall xr, amitriptyline, hydrocodone, kratom, kratom capsules, kratom effects, kratom use, kratom withdrawal, withdrawal

» New Threads
Will I experience withdrawls?
Last post by Rex_the_dog
0 Replies, 1 Views
Methamphetamine and Sex
Last post by CaliSunshine
275 Replies, 171,251 Views
Took ONE T3 about two hours ago,...
Last post by aivolkovo
0 Replies, 1 Views
When do you know you should put...
Last post by CaliSunshine