Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Cannabis > Cannabis & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Cannabis & Health Health risks, anxiety from cannabis use.

Old 22-02-2012, 15:28
Palladium Member

Female from USA - Washington
sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.
Points: 1,697, Level: 6 Points: 1,697, Level: 6 Points: 1,697, Level: 6
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Smoking weed and sense of smell

I've asked a few people about this and done a DF search, but the only answer I get is "that's weird".

Whenever I smoke pot, I completely lose my sense of smell. I mean, I can't walk out of the room and come back in and notice the smell of pot (which is usually what I am looking to smell ).
Even more oddly, my ability to smell things comes back as soon as the buzz wears off.

Anyone ever hear of this?
Old 22-02-2012, 15:38
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

22 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Reuq is a decent psychonaut.Reuq is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 151, Level: 2 Points: 151, Level: 2 Points: 151, Level: 2
Re: Smoking weed and sense of smell

I can never smell weed when I am smoking it, to the point that people say 'that smells nice' and I'm embarrassingly confused. I can still smell other smells though, like pancakes.
Old 22-02-2012, 16:05
Phungushead Phungushead is nu online
Twisted Depiction
Super Moderator

Male from United States
Phungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 22,648, Level: 21 Points: 22,648, Level: 21 Points: 22,648, Level: 21
Activity: 18.5% Activity: 18.5% Activity: 18.5%

I always almost completely lose the ability to smell the odor of cannabis smoke quickly after partaking... My understanding is that this is a very common occurrence.

I think a lot of it comes down to olfactory adaptation, or the tendency to rapidly become acclimated to the odors within your immediate environment. In other words, our sense of smell just naturally starts to block out the scents surrounding us after a short period of time, most likely so it can be more effectively alerted to any new aromas.

The evolutionary advantage to this is a lot easier to understand if you look at nature: A mouse in a field of flowers could be in a world of trouble if it was unable to block out that fragrance in order to smell a predator approaching.

For the same reason, if you're burning a scented candle or incense, burn some food while cooking, or have been puffing on a joint, after awhile you pretty much stop smelling the particular odor in question until you leave the area and then come back. Because your mind is purposefully blocking it out in order to try and pick up on new smells, you get used to the smell quickly and it becomes much more difficult to recognize it.
Old 22-02-2012, 16:24
Palladium Member

Female from USA - Washington
sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.
Points: 1,697, Level: 6 Points: 1,697, Level: 6 Points: 1,697, Level: 6

Thank you very much, it does make sense for that to occur in nature especially for protection.
I am familiar with the lack of ability to smell something after the nose gets accustomed to it, perfume is a good example of this.

But I can't smell anything. Not even pancakes or perfume. It is truly weird. Maybe it has something to do with my adenoids, or my sinuses? Both have been problematic for me.
Old 22-02-2012, 16:41
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from USA - Alaska
rejectedbysociety is a decent psychonaut.rejectedbysociety is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 111, Level: 1 Points: 111, Level: 1 Points: 111, Level: 1

Weed reduces my ability to smell sometimes, and I can never smell the weed when I'm smoking. Everyone has slightly different body chemistry, so drugs doing things to a tiny percentage of people is not unheard of. Maybe something with the smoke particles hitting your nose and blocking something off? Just a guess, but it would make sense
Old 22-02-2012, 19:29
Silver Member

28 y/o Male from United States
eatingleg4peanut is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 272, Level: 2 Points: 272, Level: 2 Points: 272, Level: 2
Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6%

like its already been said its just your body getting used to it, same applies to good smelling food or bad smelling farts everybody has walked in a room and been overwhelmed by a smell good or bad, notice it almost always seems to go away within minutes.
Old 24-05-2012, 14:58
Silver Member

Male from South Africa
Fiery_Zen is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 69, Level: 1 Points: 69, Level: 1 Points: 69, Level: 1
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%

Well, smoke (of any kind) is an irritant, and your mucous membranes in your nose will increase production of mucous to protect themselves against the smoke particles. That means that your olfactory senses become dulled as the mucous lining thickens. The thickened lining prevents particles from interacting with, and 'activating' your receptor cells, lowering your overall sense of smell.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Brilliant answer, can anyone confirm this though?
Old 19-10-2012, 20:26
Silver Member

Male from South Africa
Fiery_Zen is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 69, Level: 1 Points: 69, Level: 1 Points: 69, Level: 1
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%

I know this is digging up an old thread, but I need to provide some citation.

According to the Mayo Clinic (Not exactly a medical journal, but I believe it's good enough) it's said that

"Nasal congestion can be caused by... irritants such as tobacco smoke."

A more in-depth explanation is offered by SinusWars where they say:

"Cigarette smoke hampers normal cilia functioning, slowing down their normal cleansing properties. When the cilia become impaired due to tobacco chemicals, mucus becomes stagnant and collects in the sinus cavities."

While both of these are referring to cigarette smoke, smoke from weed is very similar to smoke from a cigarette (tars).
Old 20-10-2012, 10:29
Silver Member

25 y/o Female from Canada
BitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline MedlineBitterSweet must mainline Medline
Points: 2,798, Level: 7 Points: 2,798, Level: 7 Points: 2,798, Level: 7
Activity: 6.3% Activity: 6.3% Activity: 6.3%

Agreed with the above. However, some behavioural and subjective effects actually include one's sense of touch, smell and taste, are often enhanced. But of course your issue is related to respiratory, where irritation of the mucous membranes lining the respiratory system, bronchodilation.
Old 20-10-2012, 10:32
Titanium Member

24 y/o Male from USA - Arkansas
PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.PillMan really knows their shit.
Points: 4,494, Level: 9 Points: 4,494, Level: 9 Points: 4,494, Level: 9
Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6%

I only smell weed when I'm high. Even if there is none around to smell.

Share this on:

Tags
cannabis, marijuana, weed