Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Amphetamine > Adderall
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 20-02-2012, 20:49
Silver Member

21 y/o Male from USA - Maryland
Dankitydankness is a decent psychonaut.Dankitydankness is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 604, Level: 3 Points: 604, Level: 3 Points: 604, Level: 3
Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6%
Is adderal a good drug to make me more socially confident?

So I'm in college now and the thing is I have a little bit of social anxiety. It's just sometimes I don't know how to start up a conversation or carry it on, unless I really know the person well. I'm a shy person when you meet me but once I get to know you I open up alot more and am more comfortable.

But if I want to meet people and successfully connect and make friendships, I can't be held back by the this. I need to be able to have to confidence and ability to approach people spark up a conversation and keep it going without feeling awkward and nervous.

Is adderall a drug that can help me be more comfortable and confident in these situations? Because that's really what I need. That and just practice keeping conversations.

What do you guys think? Will adderall help me? Is there another drug you recommend? Thanks for the help
Old 20-02-2012, 23:53
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Female from United States
laur891011 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 31, Level: 1 Points: 31, Level: 1 Points: 31, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Is adderal a good drug to make me more socially confident?

I am prescribed adderal for adult add..and in my experience..once you start talking you can't stop..lol..sometimes too much or too often, as your brain is moving 10x faster than your mouth

Post Quality Evaluations:
Couldn't agree more. Talking to much because your brain is moving so fast.
Old 22-02-2012, 04:29
Silver Member

well i am not the most talkative person so hoping adderal can make me average. i just need to find a consistent connect for it. i only have taken adderal once. 20 mgs then another 20 an hour later. so 40 mg total. I didnt notice too much but being in the zone. but when i smoked on it, i got really chattery and couldnt stop talking lol.

anybody else got anything

Dankitydankness added 1375 Minutes and 22 Seconds later...

come on people please tell me what you think.

Last edited by Dankitydankness; 22-02-2012 at 04:29. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 22-02-2012, 08:07
Silver Member

25 y/o Male from United States
Impure157 is on the way upImpure157 is on the way upImpure157 is on the way up
Points: 323, Level: 2 Points: 323, Level: 2 Points: 323, Level: 2
Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9%

Pharmacuetical amphetamines accomplish what you're talking about astoundingly well at the beginning, so short answer yes.

Long answer is that they are a temporary fix, tolerance develops quickly and as with most amphetamines dependence sneaks up on you and can catch you completely off guard. As someone who used to used adderall occasionally for the exact reason you mentioned I can promise you that while it will work in the short term it makes the problem worse. When you take amphetamine to be more social and more outgoing, it makes the times you have none even more difficult.

excellent, informed response
very true from personal experience, good info
Old 22-02-2012, 23:59
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impure157 View Post
Pharmacuetical amphetamines accomplish what you're talking about astoundingly well at the beginning, so short answer yes.

Long answer is that they are a temporary fix, tolerance develops quickly and as with most amphetamines dependence sneaks up on you and can catch you completely off guard. As someone who used to used adderall occasionally for the exact reason you mentioned I can promise you that while it will work in the short term it makes the problem worse. When you take amphetamine to be more social and more outgoing, it makes the times you have none even more difficult.
hmmm you have a good point. maybe i should just use adderall when im meeting new people. but once i get to know them well i can just be sober. cuz like i said im fine talking to people i know relatively well. its just meeting new people or talking with people i dont really know that well where i struggle to find words to keep a convo going or getting one started. Adderal should helpo me with that initially. But once I have had a few good real converstations with them that have flow, and i get more comfortable talking to them, i can lay off the adderal.

how do you think that sounds. is it still gonna make my problem worse or do i have a good idea here?
Old 23-02-2012, 00:37
Palladium Member

34 y/o Male from United States
rawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumrawbeer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 3,431, Level: 8 Points: 3,431, Level: 8 Points: 3,431, Level: 8
Activity: 4.0% Activity: 4.0% Activity: 4.0%

I don't know that I have actual social anxiety disorder, but I do sometimes feel uncomfortable in large public gatherings. I don't do "mingling" well, I'm more of a one-on-one conversationalist and so the bouncing around, making small talk aspect of larger groups can be difficult for me. I'm also in general not a real outgoing guy, I have a good amount of friends and I tend to talk to them when I'm out.

That said, I find adderal can be a pretty great drug for social awkwardness. I would advise you to strongly consider what Impure157 said. I've seen how habitual use of cocaine and amphetamines for social lubrication can go wrong first hand. For years I wouldn't touch any sort of upper above caffeine because of this.

These days I'll take it sometimes - I think I've taken it 3 times in the past year - when I want a lot of energy and I'm going to be in a very "intense" social circumstance (like New Year's Eve, for example). I also used it the day after my wedding when I was REALLY hung over but me and a few friends had to return tuxedos, a moving truck, and two vans - and I had a BLAST doing it, thanks to that little pill! It can really be a miraculous drug.

However after anytime I do it I really find myself thinking "gee, I should convince a doctor I have AD/HD and get a script for this stuff, it would solve all my problems!" Then I have to get a little perspective and remember it won't fix all my problems. I remember how that glowing, invincible fireball feeling fades away when you do it too much.

Your idea sounds pretty good as long as you can stick to it. Remember, if you want to make friends with someone they need to accept that you can be a pretty introverted guy. Maybe try adderal at the next large social function you go to. Take half a pill and see what it does first. Feel things out. If it works, just resolve not to do it every time you go to a party!

Good luck, and be careful, this is amphetamine we're talking about here! Speed kills! Use it with caution.
Old 23-02-2012, 10:38
Silver Member

25 y/o Male from United States
Impure157 is on the way upImpure157 is on the way upImpure157 is on the way up
Points: 323, Level: 2 Points: 323, Level: 2 Points: 323, Level: 2
Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankitydankness View Post
how do you think that sounds. is it still gonna make my problem worse or do i have a good idea here?
It's all entirely dependent on you. Can that type of plan work? Certainly, if you have enough self-control to limit/moderate yourself. Can your plan not work? Most definitely, especially if you enjoy the effects of the drug (Personally I don't see how someone couldn't, but I've met plenty of people who don't like amphetamine) then the chance you will change, not stick to the plan, or delude yourself into thinking you're not going overboard when you are will skyrocket.

I'm not saying to do that, or not to, but just want you to be aware of the risks, there is no point where you can look and say "There is the boundary between being responsible and addiction I will never cross it." Once you are well over the line and looking back, it is obvious, but only in hindsight.

So if you are confident in your willpower, can be sure you'll remain responsible and in control that idea may just work spectacularly. If you aren't it will still be spectacular, but in it's failing.
Old 23-02-2012, 17:51

Mlkcompton is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1

My twin used to be the life of her social network but since starting Adderell she can get her paperwork done but the rest of her life is dead like the dinasours. More than 30+ years of being friends with everyone, to pissing everyone off with her rambling and lack of empathy for other people.
She stopped take Adderell yesterday and if waiting to see what effects her husband sees, since he is the only one still speaking to her.
Old 23-02-2012, 17:56

Female from Canada
jodoole should review received reputation comments.
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawbeer View Post
I don't know that I have actual social anxiety disorder, but I do sometimes feel uncomfortable in large public gatherings. I don't do "mingling" well, I'm more of a one-on-one conversationalist and so the bouncing around, making small talk aspect of larger groups can be difficult for me. I'm also in general not a real outgoing guy, I have a good amount of friends and I tend to talk to them when I'm out.
sounds to me like you're an introvert, which is the same as me. i relate to both you and the OP in that i don't have a problem with one on one conversations but they bore me easily, and even if i want to, i have trouble starting conversations with people. as a result, i've met very few people in college, but being an introvert, this doesn't bother me much

i don't think adderall is a fix-all for introversion. for example, SWIM once had to go to a much-dreaded gathering with a lot of friends and decided to take an addy just to simply tolerate the night. but when she got there, she was the star of the night. this effect faded quickly though, as introverts are easily exhausted after a while by large social encounters. my point: although the adderall initially boosted her sociality, it did not affect her introversion in that she was still fully drained by the end of the night

i hope this helps
Old 26-02-2012, 18:24
Silver Member

32 y/o Male from United States
tweek411 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 47, Level: 1 Points: 47, Level: 1 Points: 47, Level: 1

At first yes SWIM was more social. Now SWIM is just anti social in public and sits and plays video games all day. STIMS wont do anything now! Benzo's make SWIM to doped up and SWIM has already been thru the road of Opiate abuse which ended up with black tar H. SWIM just self medicates with MMORPG online video games now.
Old 29-02-2012, 07:09

23 y/o Male from United States
djb1034 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 35, Level: 1 Points: 35, Level: 1 Points: 35, Level: 1

I have been prescribed adderall for adhd and it definitely can help me with my social anxiety, but sometimes it can also make it worse by increasing my general anxiety level, so I try not to rely on it for that too much. I also take Klonopin occasionally, which obviously helps with anxiety generally, but the most effective thing I have found for my social anxiety is Wellbutrin (bupropion), which I started taking a few weeks ago. I was put on it for depression, but immediately found that it made me more sociable as well. Before, when I was interacting socially with new people I felt like I didn't really know what to say, and a lot of times conversations would end in a period of awkward silence. Since I started on the Wellbutrin, I feel a weird drive to talk more, and I have had several of my friends comment on this. It also makes me feel more eloquent if that makes sense; before it was almost like I couldn't translate what I was thinking into speech, whereas now talking seems natural and fluid, which I'm assuming is how it is supposed to feel haha. Wellbutrin and Adderall both roughly effect similar chemicals in the brain (Dopamine and Norepinephrine) so it makes sense that it the Wellbutrin has had a similar effect on my social anxiety. It actually also helps many people with their ADHD symptoms, and I've lost like 10 pounds on it (mostly from changing my diet, but it definitely reduces appetite), so it's pretty much my wonder drug haha, the start up symptoms were a little rough but after I hit 2 weeks pretty much all the side effects went away and I feel the best I've ever felt, so if you're looking for a drug to help with social anxiety I'd have to recommend trying wellbutrin over adderall, especially given the addiction potential and horrible crashes of adderall
Old 01-03-2012, 16:46

Male from United States
embreed is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1 Points: 27, Level: 1
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

And hello addiction. To get that effect you have to take more and more till your taking pretty big doses and getting horrible comedowns. Unless only used like this once a week or longer in between doses, tolerance will rise. Good thing is it doesn't take too long to go down..
Old 03-03-2012, 02:11
Gold Finger

33 y/o Female from United States
chibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPAC
Points: 2,404, Level: 7 Points: 2,404, Level: 7 Points: 2,404, Level: 7
Activity: 5.1% Activity: 5.1% Activity: 5.1%

Quote:
So I'm in college now and the thing is I have a little bit of social anxiety. It's just sometimes I don't know how to start up a conversation or carry it on, unless I really know the person well. I'm a shy person when you meet me but once I get to know you I open up alot more and am more comfortable.
Sounds a lot like my roommate, and Adderall certainly helps her start a conversation and keep it going, similar to the talkativeness of alcohol but without the impaired judgment.

Keep in mind, though, it may make you more nervous. YMMV.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:36

32 y/o Female from United States
lovesemall is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1 Points: 10, Level: 1

I agree with many other posts. I love adderall, and if I haven't taken it for a few weeks or a month, a nice mid-level dose (for me, mid-level would be about 50-60 mg) really ups my sociability. That said, when you take it recreationally (and therefore, most often higher doses than a regular prescription) you build tolerance VERY quickly. And the higher doses makes you (well, me anyway) a bit awkward, especially if you're ready to run around the block or get super zoned in on a project or something. If its a bar or a party you will do well with that, but certainly at some places that's not a great feeling to have. To answer your question, yes, it can. But it really depends on how you personally react to it, your setting, and who you are with. Just remember to pace yourself. Get to know how you react to what mg dose, and realize that it can change depending on sleep, food, and tolerance. Good luck!
Old 07-03-2012, 04:17
Silver Member

nybaby is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 135, Level: 1 Points: 135, Level: 1 Points: 135, Level: 1
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%

Adderall can make you more socially confident. But you may not get the attention you are looking for. Adderall makes me think and talk really fast. But if you unsociable due to nervousness or anxiety you may make your social life even worse. Adderall makes me nervous and jittery. If you already are uncomfortable in social situations, this may make these social gatherings even more awkward. For example, one day I was in school and I had taken a unusually high dosage of Adderall to cram in any last minute studying. When I got in the testing room, I could help but talk to everyone around me. Some people I knew and some I just introduced myself to. When the class was silenced and papers began being handed out, I was so nervous from the test and the Adderall my hands were shaking. It was the most uncomfortable feeling in the world. I tried hiding my hands under the desk but neighbors still noticed. They must have assumed on was on some crack or something. I would have never reacted this nervous, hyperactive, jittery, or anxious, if I was not on Adderall. I may have made some acquaintances that day. But they sure knew I wasn't normal.

excellent answer based on experience
Old 18-03-2012, 23:31
Banned

36 y/o Male from United States
Kidx needs to UTFSE some more before posting.

Quote:

But if I want to meet people and successfully connect and make friendships, I can't be held back by the this. I need to be able to have to confidence and ability to approach people spark up a conversation and keep it going without feeling awkward and nervous.

Is adderall a drug that can help me be more comfortable and confident in these situations? Because that's really what I need. That and just practice keeping conversations.

What do you guys think? Will adderall help me? Is there another drug you recommend? Thanks for the help
I wouldn't use Adderall for this. Having to take a drug to talk to people because you're shy is they way you can easily become addicted and start abusing substances. It's better to work on your social skills and anxiety,more find a different drug.

Also, amphetamines can give a person a false sense of confidence, so you may end up babbling at people, seeming jumpy, or not making any sense, but thinking that you are socializing well. People that need Adderall really need it, and can't concentrate at all without it, so it doesn't affect them the same way.
Old 20-03-2012, 22:04
Silver Member

Male from United States
chrischerokee is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 68, Level: 1 Points: 68, Level: 1 Points: 68, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidx View Post
I wouldn't use Adderall for this. Having to take a drug to talk to people because you're shy is they way you can easily become addicted and start abusing substances. It's better to work on your social skills and anxiety,more find a different drug.

Also, amphetamines can give a person a false sense of confidence, so you may end up babbling at people, seeming jumpy, or not making any sense, but thinking that you are socializing well. People that need Adderall really need it, and can't concentrate at all without it, so it doesn't affect them the same way.
+1 couldn't have said it much better than this.

Personally, SWIM found it to have the opposite effect. Adderall actually made me less social publicly, but more social with friends and family. I think the reason for this is because the adderall is actually working and making SWIM concentrate on specific things, so my mindset is focused on those specific things and not everything or everyone else. Do not confuse this as being a side effect of adderall.
Old 22-03-2012, 19:31
Mercury Member

Male from United States
Stepin Fetchit needs to UTFSE some more before posting.

Quote:
hmmm you have a good point. maybe i should just use adderall when im meeting new people. but once i get to know them well i can just be sober. cuz like i said im fine talking to people i know relatively well. its just meeting new people or talking with people i dont really know that well where i struggle to find words to keep a convo going or getting one started. Adderal should helpo me with that initially. But once I have had a few good real converstations with them that have flow, and i get more comfortable talking to them, i can lay off the adderal.

I wouldn't get in the habit of taking a prescription drug only before you socialize so you feel more confident, because this can lead to dependence. It would be like someone who has to loosen up with a couple drinks to talk to girls, pretty soon they are drinking larger quantities and extending their social drinking to cope with other parts of your life.

What you are describing is known as a "crutch." You don't need a crutch, man, be yourself! I'm sure the right kind of people will like you the way you are!

If you take Adderall, the idea is to take low doses 2 times a day so you have it in your system and build a tolerance so you aren't mood altering every time you take it.
Old 22-03-2012, 21:11
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

27 y/o Female from United States
Megan288 needs to UTFSE some more before posting.

I don't know... the comedown can be kind of rough. It will make you less insecure, and indifferent toward people. You will also be very alert and ready to talk to whomever is talking to you. But, you also might find that you want to just lock yourself in a room and not have any need for social contact.. again because of the indifference.

Megan288 added 0 Minutes and 38 Seconds later...

It gave me confidence but took away my empathy.

Megan288 added 15 Minutes and 20 Seconds later...

I totally agree with stepen fetchit. You will love/hate adderall and believe me, the hate is not worth it. Just be yourself. Don't depend on the drug. It sucks. You have no idea how much dependence sucks, and adderall has a high risk of sever psychological dependence. Stay away.

Last edited by Megan288; 22-03-2012 at 21:11. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 22-03-2012, 22:32
Titanium Member

Karmageddon is captain of the psychonauts.Karmageddon is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 255, Level: 2 Points: 255, Level: 2 Points: 255, Level: 2
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%

I've never tried amphetamines of any sort so I can't answer the OPs question as to whether or not Adderall will help with social anxiety. However, I am a fairly introverted person who is prone to social anxiety, especially when it comes to large groups, which can really pose a problem for me as I study at a really large university with each of my classes having over 150 people.

I've tried a bunch of different supplements but what's worked best for me is Eleuthero aka Siberian Ginseng. I find it's removed a lot of the dread and physical symptoms (like extreme blushing, shaking, heart racing, etc) that I was experiencing prior. It's not an instant cure, but for me the effects have been pretty significant and I'm no longer completely paralyzed by fear when I want to contribute to a class discussion or ask the professor a question. I have also found it easier to make one on one conversations with strangers without the constant anxiety of "what will I say next" or "will I say something stupid". I hope this information helps.
Old 12-04-2012, 07:23

Male from United States
dustin741 should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 31, Level: 1 Points: 31, Level: 1 Points: 31, Level: 1

its all about how you feel and what you make it. one thing i seen happen to allot of people who has taken adderall and other strong stimulants repeatedly is

1) they start out feeling good on it very social and feel more mental strong,

2) then they feel as if they need the drugs just to feel normal and make up excuses to take it

3) then they start feeling kinda agitated all the time or like they have a chip on their shoulder

4) then they start to withdraw from people little by little and the high and euphoria is their main priority

be very careful when taking strong stimulants it does not take long at all to fall in love and you wont know it till you been up for three days straight with no food obsessing over the stupidest shit. i seen it hapen to allot of my friends, i kinda feel bad now because i was the one who gave them the shit or told them about it to begin with. one thing that's different from me and allot of other tweekers is, i have to take seroquel everyday so that always stopped me from wigging the fuck out on speed and getting all paranoid from sleep deprivation. im not saying seroquell will stop you from being an addict but it will help you sleep and eat, the two most important things tweekers need to be worried about.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:26

28 y/o Male from United States
nuggs313 needs to post very carefully to avoid a ban by negative reputation.

Okay Addie's for like first couple hours r okay but lengthy using and redosing u will tend to go from 0-100 mph and I don't mean ur talking but like arguing yelling generally flipping out over nothing Ohh also when ur up for 3-4 days u can smell everything x10 so of course ur gonna think and quite possibly do stink which will cause anti social behavior generally extended runs by 3-4 days up u don't wanna b social
Old 09-07-2012, 11:32

Male from United States
Big A is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%

SWIM has had mixed results. Sometime's the drug can work against him, making him more self-conscious, edgy and weird. And then at times it has saved him in social situations, making him more sharp and quick-witted. It's certainly good to fight off tiredness / drunkenness. He'd like to know the magic formula but seems unpredictable as to how the drug will affect on any given day.

SWIM actually believes sleep-derivation may improve his sense of humor at times. He thinks in ways he ordinarally wouldn't. Lately he likes his personality on the third day.

Share this on:

Tags
adderall, drugs