Register Tags

Notices

Old 15-02-2012, 06:24
Silver Member

33 y/o Female from Canada
FastFifty is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 136, Level: 1 Points: 136, Level: 1 Points: 136, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
How to get the longest shelf life out of your Methadone.

I would like to hear from anyone who has first hand tried freezing their methadone, who would know if there was any loss of quality from freezing. I live in Canada, where the methadone is dispensed 1 mg/mL, and it is mixed with orange Tang.
I have a friend, who doesn't always drink her take home doses, so she has quite a stockpile of methadone in her fridge. She is always careful to rotate it, so that she is drinking the oldest batch first, but she now has some that is a month old, and it doesn't taste as good as her witnessed dose from the pharmacy does.
Personally, if I were to make a pitcher of tang, even without methadone in it, I don't think I would drink it if it had been sitting in the fridge for a month.
So, does anyone have any input as to how to store methadone and preserve it's freshness, and most of all, make sure it doesn't affect the quality?
Old 15-02-2012, 06:45
Silver Member

Male from United States
Doctor Who is captain of the psychonauts.Doctor Who is captain of the psychonauts.Doctor Who is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 482, Level: 3 Points: 482, Level: 3 Points: 482, Level: 3
Re: How to get the longest shelf life out of your Methadone.

Store in Dark Container ( like brown cough medicine bottle ) to keep the light out & To Make Sure it is Air-Tight, wrap in a couple of ziplock baggies that can be sealed. Place in Mason Jar & Seal it ( it would really help if mason jar could be filled with Nitrogen gas ). Wrap Jar in Foil & Place in Freezer. Will Keep a Long Time. Hope This Helps You Out!
Old 15-02-2012, 21:40
Titanium Member

Female from Earth
natey7 probably knows what they are talking about.natey7 probably knows what they are talking about.natey7 probably knows what they are talking about.natey7 probably knows what they are talking about.natey7 probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 923, Level: 4 Points: 923, Level: 4 Points: 923, Level: 4
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%

Swim keeps his takehomes stored in a lock-box, and kept in a fridge.

He has always found this method works very good for keeping his doses fresh.

And Swim agrees with Doctor Who, a cool dark place would work best for storing the Methadone. And depending on what design/type the containers are, the bottle itself that the Methadone is kept in should work just fine for keeping it air-tight. For extra precautions, a ziplock baggy could be used though.

Methadone can stay good for a very long time.

Even if the Methadone was a month old, Swim wouldn't worry about a loss of potency if it was stored in the fridge the whole time.

The orange tang may taste a little funny from sitting around for a month, but the Methadone itself shouldn't be bad.

Drugs have a way longer expiry date than food .

Last edited by natey7; 03-03-2012 at 03:29.
Old 16-02-2012, 06:03
Silver Member

Male from United States
Doctor Who is captain of the psychonauts.Doctor Who is captain of the psychonauts.Doctor Who is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 482, Level: 3 Points: 482, Level: 3 Points: 482, Level: 3

My Instructions were probably Over-Kill for use with methadone, the method using Nitrogen is for long time ( several years ) storage of dried mushrooms or liquid forms of L S D.
Old 18-02-2012, 11:11
Silver Member

33 y/o Female from Canada
FastFifty is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 136, Level: 1 Points: 136, Level: 1 Points: 136, Level: 1

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm mostly worried about loss of potency from freezing it. I think that's the only way to keep the Tang fresh would be to freeze it. But I don't want to degrade the methadone at the same time.
Old 18-02-2012, 15:36
Titanium Member

Female from Earth
natey7 probably knows what they are talking about.natey7 probably knows what they are talking about.natey7 probably knows what they are talking about.natey7 probably knows what they are talking about.natey7 probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 923, Level: 4 Points: 923, Level: 4 Points: 923, Level: 4
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%

That's a tricky one..

I actually thought myself that freezing it would be fine(because it's cold), and it's not like you'd be keeping it in a sauna either right?.. But I have read on a few places over the web that apparently freezing it can actually cause it to loose some of its potency..

If you wanted to avoid losing any potency from your Methadone, your best bet may be to keep it in the fridge, in a dark spot. Lock-boxs are pretty good for this in my opinion, and that way only you would have the key/access to it as well(more for if the house is shared).

The tang may taste a little funny, but I'm sure it wouldn't be nearly as bad as keeping the tang out on the counter for a month :P.

I would think that the fridge would keep it fairly safe though.. as long as you're not keeping it in there for months and months at a time(one month is not that bad).

And if you wanted, you can even turn the dial up on the fridge and make things a little bit more cold(but not freezing), just to be on the safe side. The colder the fridge is kept, the longer the tang will last.

I have kept a bottle of cranberry juice in the fridge before for about a month or so and all was fine.

Some juices have preservatives that help keep them fresh longer, and some juices don't.

It would be so much less of a hassel for ya if it was just the pure clear methadone liquid, or even the Methadone pills..

I wouldn't worry about it though.

Note: If you really wanted to freeze it, you may just have to bare with your Methadone losing a bit of its potency(in order to keep the tang fresh). If one were going to do this route, hopefully they wouldn't end up losing that much potency in the long run(if any).

I have frozen poppy tea in the past before I went on Methadone, and it tasted a lot more gross than usual to me, and it didn't seem to work as good as it did when it was fresh either(loss of potency maybe?). I regretted freezing it, but Methadone liquid with tang mixed in may be different, I'm not really too sure.

I myself would stick with the fridge, and keep the dial turned up to the highest/coldest it can go(but not freezing).

Good luck.

Last edited by natey7; 03-03-2012 at 03:33.
Old 03-03-2012, 00:46
Silver Member

Male from Scotland
Hardstepa is a decent psychonaut.Hardstepa is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 295, Level: 2 Points: 295, Level: 2 Points: 295, Level: 2
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

When I was on heroin I used to have a real fear of cold turkey so I would put several 50mg/ml bottles of methadone into the freezer and keep them for emergency.The reason I froze them was that I was less likely to take it if I had to defrost it first which stopped me taking it when it wasnt needed.I never noticed any decrease in effects from this although the longest any bottle was kept frozen was about 3 months.
Old 05-03-2012, 20:17

32 y/o Male from United States
Super-Monkey should review received reputation comments.
Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1

If I am remembering correctly Tang is pretty similar to Kool Aid isn't it? If so be careful with leaving it in the fridge for to long. It's been awhile so I don't remember exactly how long it was in there but at one point I had left some Kool Aid in the back of my fridge for at least a couple of months and when I opened the pitcher to clean it mold had formed on the top of the liquid.

Just something to be cautious with as I doubt drinking any kind of mold is good for you in any way. Stay safe.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:46

25 y/o Male from Canada
Flip40_dc is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

I don't quite understand the logic behind "keeping methadone VERY COLD- but NOT freezing"…¿?
If the cold temperature 'keeps' the methadone or tang or BOTH for longer, technically freezing would be even better…

FROM EXPERIENCE, and after consulting a physician and pharmacist, it is known that methadone potency starts diminishing after initial exposure. So unfortunately for "Methadone in Orange Drink" users, this is RIGHT away at your clinic's bottling facility.HOWEVER……the amount of potency decrease is SO MINUTE, that it would not play a factor if the effectiveness of the dose. The Shelf life of methadone (in liquid form) is very long- MULTIPLE MONTHS- with or without refrigeration.
The thing to worry about is the Orange Drink. The shelf life of the prepared Orange Drink is approx. 2-3 weeks when stored in the fridge and 2-3 days when left on the counter. It is the Bacteria that is produced by the orange drink mix after these times, that is thought to affect the quality/potency of the methadone.
SO, when storing methadone in Orange Drink dilution, the goal is to 'keep' the orange drink fresh as long as possible- which freezing would be the best method.

As for the "dark-tinted bottles" and "air-tight seal" put into multiple "ziplock bags"; this can prove to be an unnecessary hassle. Ziplock bags are not "air tight" despite how they may appear. Dark-tinted bottles are always a safe bet with any chemical (for obvious reasons) although there isnt much light-exposure in a freezer (unless it is CONSTANTLY opened for LONG periods of time). And Air-tight seals are hard to achieve without some type of vacuum sealer; unless the original prescribed bottles are being put in the freezer (but this cannot always be done, as some methadone/addiction treatment clinics require the previous weeks empty bottles back in order to claim the prescription bottles for the new week).

Sorry for the Novel, just thought details were more helpful in this situation rather than just the info.

Share this on:

Tags
dried mushrooms, expiration date, methadone, mushrooms, shelf life