Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Cannabis
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Cannabis Use, cultivation & production of Marijuana, Hashish, Ice-o-lator & Hemp.

Old 14-02-2012, 19:53
Silver Member

28 y/o Male from United States
eatingleg4peanut is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 272, Level: 2 Points: 272, Level: 2 Points: 272, Level: 2
Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6%
Uses for Vaped Weed

This may be common practice, but this is what swim does with all his vaped weed. I will tell it in first person because I like to Role Play.

Note: All my vaped weed is already finely ground before being vaped (works better in iolite when fine)

The main use I get out of it is basically a screen of sorts. Instead of using a screen which reduces bowl size on my piece, and instead of simply clearing the bong and wasting good stuff I plug the bottom with a pinch or 2 of vaped stuff. That way I can smoke the max size bowl and if I clear it I don’t feel so bad about losing vaped weed. If you don’t clear it you can taste when you get to the vaped, which may soak up some THC from the dank above it but I don’t know if that how it works.

The second thing I do comes when its time to clean my piece(s). I will take the res (while its still warm and pliable) and mix it in a small amount of vaped. This makes a mixture that although harsher, is usually just as strong or stronger than the weed that created it.

Anybody have any other uses for it?

Post Quality Evaluations:
great idea for a thread, with useful tips
Old 16-02-2012, 04:24

Male from United States
Nujabes should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 47, Level: 1 Points: 47, Level: 1 Points: 47, Level: 1
Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2%
Re: Uses for Vaped Weed

Already vaporized weed can be used in edibles. The thing is since a majority of the chemicals have already been used in the vaporizing process SWIY will need to use about 3-4x vaped stuff to achieve desirable effects.

Go google it!

a good point on edibles and amount of dudd required, although google it is not particularly informative
Old 16-02-2012, 09:05
Titanium Member

Male from United States
Hockeydemon is on the way upHockeydemon is on the way upHockeydemon is on the way upHockeydemon is on the way up
Points: 403, Level: 3 Points: 403, Level: 3 Points: 403, Level: 3
Activity: 4.2% Activity: 4.2% Activity: 4.2%

SWIM would do that way back in the day when weed had a monetary value for him. Now that SWIM has a green card SWIM never worries about wasting weed.

While SWIM loves his iolite, he finds it's vaped weed is very brown, and pretty useless. Now that SWIM has a volcano he never uses his iolite. He does however save all of his vaped weed from the volcano. Once he has about half a lb SWIM makes glycerin tincture, which IMO is a much smarter, and more efficient use of it.

SWIM has also made canabutter, and alcohol tincture. Unfortunately vaporized weed is god awful to cook with and in his opinion makes the edible unbearable to consume. SWIM also was not big on the alcohol tincture because it is also horrible to consume.

I recommend finding a glycerin tincture recipe; one can be found in the documents section of this website. It is easy, and cheap to make, and it will knock you out.
Old 17-02-2012, 20:59
Policy, Various & Reviews
Co-Moderator

49 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Mindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 7,130, Level: 12 Points: 7,130, Level: 12 Points: 7,130, Level: 12
Activity: 11.1% Activity: 11.1% Activity: 11.1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeydemon View Post
I recommend finding a glycerin tincture recipe; one can be found in the documents section of this website. It is easy, and cheap to make, and it will knock you out.
This works well with vaped weed, and has a better taste as you say. I highly recommend the technique you refer to. Vaped weed can be added to glycerine after each session, rather than saving it up, this gives the trichomes and THC more time to infuse. Longer infusions would improve both taste and potency. In the UK we come have a fair bit of hashish, which is best dealt with in a different manner, as it's not a good material to use in a glycerin or glyceride infusion.

I also use an iolite like eatingleg4peanut, and vape both weed and hashish. When vaping high quality hash in an iolite, it takes much longer to go through a bowl than with weed. When no more vapour is forthcoming I empty the bowl, and crumble the warm hash before returning it to the chamber. This increases surface area of the particles of hash and produces more vapour. After vapour is no longer visible, I generally carry on vaping for another ten minutes or so, until I can no longer taste the hash. The whole process takes up to an hour, typically 45 minutes. When cleaning my iolite, the resulting residue is tasty and much like hash oil itself. This can be added to a pinch of vaped hash in the same way as eatingleg4peanut describes for weed. My Uncle Baldylocks laughed when I told him about this, and sent me the following written on a the inside of one of his greasy old wigs:

"It is possible to extract trichomes and produce a small amount of seriously potent hash oil from vaped hashish. This can be done by adding vaped hash after each vaping session to a small bottle containing 99.9% isopropyl alcohol. The quality of the isopropyl alcohol is critical, lower than 99% purity means a less efficient solvent with a slower rate of evaporation. This gradual addition is based on the principle that good hashish contains very little chlorophyll or other plant oils, being made up of cannabis resin. This gradual addition to isopropyl alcohol would not be suitable for herbal cannabis/weed, which would require only 30-60 seconds immersion before unwanted chlorophyll would be extracted as well.

A 50 ml brown glass medicine bottle could be filled with about 30 mls of isopropyl alcohol, leaving space to allow the mixture to be agitated occasionally by hand. When the bottle is nearly full, and the solvent has turned an opaque black, the next step would be filtration. The particles would become quite small, so a reasonably fine filter would be needed.

Bamboo cleaning cloths are finer than cheesecloth and wire strainers, and would allow trichomes to pass through while obstructing the spent hash. Since this would be a small-scale proceedure, the cloth filter could be placed over the bottle mouth and neck. A small, square sided and flat-bottomed glass vessel would receive the trichome bearing solvent. It is best to allow the sediment to settle, most of which remains in the extraction bottle when the oil bearing solvent is poured in a smooth movement through the filter cloth.

The vessel would be placed somewhere warm, with a fan blowing over the surface of the solution. When the isopropyl alcohol has evaporated, there would be iso oil made from hashish. The flat, square sided vessel would facilitate removal with a metal scraper or blade.
It is possible to extract roughly 1 gram of iso hash oil from 10 grams of good quality vaped hashish."

Old Baldy tells me he imagines that the finished product would have a delicious, very distinctive taste of hash when vapourised. He also imagines that it would produce a heart-pounding and most enjoyable high. Uncle Baldylocks showed me this picture of a similar experiment's results.

Last edited by Mindless; 30-04-2012 at 19:58. Reason: added picture
Old 17-02-2012, 21:54
Silver Member

58 y/o Male from Canada
keychick is an unknown quantity at this point

One can make ~ canna capps with vaped weed as its
been decarbloxed during the vaping prosess.
Oh yeah, you can make nice canna butter with vaped weed.
We call it duff in Canada.

good reference to decarboxylation
Old 19-02-2012, 00:03
Co-Moderator

Mindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum

That's a good point, vapourising may increase the effects of ingested cannabis:

"Marijuana produces THCA, an acid with the carboxylic group (COOH) attached. In its acid form, THC is not very active. It is only when the carboxyl group is removed that THC becomes psychoactive. When marijuana is smoked, the THC behind the hot spot is vaporized as the hot air from the burn is drawn through the joint or pipe bowl to the unburned material. The liquid THC and other cannabinoids have a boiling point of between 180-200? C (355-392? F). Before they turn gaseous, at around 106? C (220? F), the carboxyl group is released from the molecule as carbon dioxide and water vapor.
When the marijuana is crispy and brittle you can be assured that the carboxyl group has been removed from the cannabinoids and they are ready for extraction or removal from the plant material."

Source: Decarboxylation. Ed Rosenthal 2003.

The removal of the carboxyl group maximises the psychoactive effects of cannabis. In theory at least, decarboxylation is required when ingesting cannabis. Decarboxylation of THC is the removal of a carbon atom from a carbon chain, and is a reaction of carboxylic acid to heat. Spent vapourised cannabis, or duff, is effectively decarboxylated; the remaining THC has been converted from Δ9-Tetrahydrocannabinolic acid to Δ9-Tetrahydrocannabinol. Anyone with a better understanding, please correct me if I've made any false assumptions here.

I wonder how effective a butane honey-bee extraction from duff would be? This process would involve percolating liquid butane through duff from weed, via a pipe and filter and into a flat container, allowing the butane to evaporate. It may be possible to produce butane hash or butane honey oil, although I imagine a fair bit of duff would be needed.

Last edited by Mindless; 19-02-2012 at 00:33. Reason: spelling
Old 23-02-2012, 10:35
Titanium Member

Male from United States
Hockeydemon is on the way upHockeydemon is on the way upHockeydemon is on the way upHockeydemon is on the way up
Points: 403, Level: 3 Points: 403, Level: 3 Points: 403, Level: 3
Activity: 4.2% Activity: 4.2% Activity: 4.2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindless View Post
I wonder how effective a butane honey-bee extraction from duff would be? This process would involve percolating liquid butane through duff from weed, via a pipe and filter and into a flat container, allowing the butane to evaporate. It may be possible to produce butane hash or butane honey oil, although I imagine a fair bit of duff would be needed.
As far as I know it is effective at extracting from duff, but it is not cost-effective. Since you have to use 5x filtered butane, and that is pretty expensive.

You need a lot of duff for a decent yield of BHO which means you need a lot of butane to go through all of that duff. Whereas quality bud gives great yield with significantly less butane is needed simply because there is a less quantity.

The BHO would also take on the smell & taste of the duff which is horrid, but personally smoking a bad taste is better than swallowing a bad taste (i.e tincture).

good reasoned answe regarding cost effectiveness
Old 25-02-2012, 14:17
Co-Moderator

I'll pass your helpful and insightful comments on cost-effectiveness on to my Uncle Baldylocks. I think he might favour ethanol or isopropyl as possible ways of making his hypothetical oil, or maybe a gylceride tincture for oral use. I have noticed that the taste of vaped weed or duff isn't that great.

Tinctures do improve in flavour over the course of 2-3 months, although not everybody wants to wait that long for their meds. In good hash the opposite seems to be the case, iso oil made from hash duff tastes beautiful, like the essence of hash.

Last edited by Mindless; 25-02-2012 at 14:22. Reason: syntax
Old 25-02-2012, 17:05
Titanium Member

Female from United States
Karmageddon is captain of the psychonauts.Karmageddon is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 255, Level: 2 Points: 255, Level: 2 Points: 255, Level: 2
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeydemon View Post
Can anyone point me towards this document? I had a look but can't seem to locate it. Also, is there any benefit to using glycerin over alcohol to make tinctures other than the taste? Would a mixture of glycerine and high proof alcohol be more effective in extracting all the goodies (hypothetically)?
Old 25-02-2012, 19:52
Titanium Member

Male from Earth
al-k-mist really knows their shit.al-k-mist really knows their shit.al-k-mist really knows their shit.al-k-mist really knows their shit.al-k-mist really knows their shit.al-k-mist really knows their shit.al-k-mist really knows their shit.al-k-mist really knows their shit.
Points: 1,757, Level: 6 Points: 1,757, Level: 6 Points: 1,757, Level: 6
Activity: 8.2% Activity: 8.2% Activity: 8.2%

Glycerine tincture is the same ratio as ethanol tincture. 1gram cannabis to one fluid ounce of vegetable glycerine. One difference is time, as ethanol takes 2-6 days, whereas glycerine takes 2-6 months. But where alcohol pulls cannabinoids and lipids, chlorophyll, etcetera, glycerin pulls potency and flavor. Very tastey with bud or trim, but I dont know about vaporized weed.
I doubt it would work, but has anyone ever did a small run of BHO using vaped cannabis?
Old 28-02-2012, 22:13
Titanium Member

Karmageddon is captain of the psychonauts.Karmageddon is captain of the psychonauts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by al-k-mist View Post
Glycerine tincture is the same ratio as ethanol tincture. 1gram cannabis to one fluid ounce of vegetable glycerine. One difference is time, as ethanol takes 2-6 days, whereas glycerine takes 2-6 months. But where alcohol pulls cannabinoids and lipids, chlorophyll, etcetera, glycerin pulls potency and flavor. Very tastey with bud or trim, but I dont know about vaporized weed.
Thanks for the info. So I'm still wondering what would happen if someone were to do a dual alcohol/glycerin tincture say 40/60% for example. Hypothetically speaking, would this be a more "rounded" tincture than each on its own? Has SWIanyone ever tried this? Maybe it's a stupid idea, I'm just curious theoretically.
Old 06-03-2012, 22:43
Titanium Member

Male from Earth
al-k-mist really knows their shit.al-k-mist really knows their shit.al-k-mist really knows their shit.al-k-mist really knows their shit.al-k-mist really knows their shit.al-k-mist really knows their shit.al-k-mist really knows their shit.al-k-mist really knows their shit.

Curious, and maybe someone could shed light. I figured Id post here since this thread is already here
So a lot of people have done alcohol extracts on vaped weed to get stoned. But, what if someone were to extract with 91% IPA. then, instead of evaporating, flood with H2O(double the amount?) this may brin the cannabinoids to the top as an oil layer, but leave the bullshit in the alcohol and water. Drain from the sep funnel, leave the shit, add more IPA to dissolve. Then drain from sep funnel and evaporate.
Would this be really clean vaped-weed-extract? Or fucked up shit?
Old 07-03-2012, 15:29
Co-Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmageddon View Post
Can anyone point me towards this document? I had a look but can't seem to locate it. Also, is there any benefit to using glycerin over alcohol to make tinctures other than the taste? Would a mixture of glycerine and high proof alcohol be more effective in extracting all the goodies (hypothetically)?
As Al-k-mist has already pointed out, alcohol does have the potential to extract unwanted constituents. I have no experience with the use of high proof alcohol in such extractions, since I live in the UK and high proof alcohol is difficult (although not impossible) to obtain. Our rulers have never really approved of our nation's taste for drink, but that's another story. Isopropyl alcohol can certainly extract unwanted matter, necessitating a short duration of immersion in this solvent to minimise chlorophyll extraction.

I have just performed a brief experiment with a 20 mls of gylcerine and 20 mls of high-proof alcohol (80%). I mixed these together in a shot glass, and after a few minutes the two began to separate, with the alcohol floating to the top. The alcohol and glycerine do seem to have mixed to an extent, but don't seem to be fully miscible. The same experiment with a mix of 99.9% isopropyl alcohol and glycerine gave similar results, although the separation was more pronounced. This leads me to suspect that the water content of the high-proof alcohol is what makes it miscible in glycerine, and that ethanol itself is not fully miscible in glycerine.

It may be possible to get results using this mixture, but I think this may be like carrying out two separate extractions in the same vessel. By adding glycerine to alcohol the solvent properties of the latter are also likely to be reduced, making for a less efficient extraction. This is just an educated guess though, the only way to get a definitive answer would be a small scale trial run.

I can't find the document that you refer to either. The basic technique is simple, however. The ratio of glycerine or other glyceride to weed varies from recipe to recipe, as a rule of thumb my Uncle Baldylocks used just enough to soak and cover the weed. If the mixture is blended the true ratio of weed to glycerine becomes more apparent and works out to around 1:1 by volume. You could try the following:

1. Place herbal marijuana (duff in this case) in glycerine. If using duff decarboxylation has already been carried out by vaping, if using fresh weed you may need to heat it to around 106 degrees celsius for a few minutes to remove the carboxyl group and make your tincture more psychoactive when used orally.
  2. Blend the weed and glycerine mixture with a stick blender to maximise the surface area of weed exposed to glycerine. Pour mixture into a Kilner jar (these are resealable glass jars used to make jam) and seal.
  3. Gentle heat is optional. The jar can be placed in a crock-pot and heated in water for a few hours; this speeds up extraction and also heat seals the jar. Alternatively, the power adapter for a laptop makes a useful and more gentle heat source.
  4. Wait. This bit is important in terms of potency and taste. It is possible to get results within a few hours if using heat, but the effects of a more mature infusion are better and more palatable. At least two months are required for best results.
  5. Strain off the mixture through a fine filter. Bamboo cloth works well, although muslin serves almost as well. When working with weed rather than hash, a tea-strainer also makes a good filter. The remaining plant matter can be squeezed in a potatoe ricer (lined with a suitable cloth filter) to avoid waste. Store in a sealed glass vessel, kept in a cool dark place.
This procedure can be used to make an infusion of variable strength, depending on the ratio of weed to glycerine used. My own preference is for an infusion that is black and opaque, so that as little as 2-5 millilitres (mls) has a good effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by al-k-mist View Post
what if someone were to extract with 91% IPA. then, instead of evaporating, flood with H2O(double the amount?) this may brin the cannabinoids to the top as an oil layer, but leave the bullshit in the alcohol and water. Drain from the sep funnel, leave the shit, add more IPA to dissolve. Then drain from sep funnel and evaporate.
Would this be really clean vaped-weed-extract? Or fucked up shit?
My understanding is that a high purity isopropyl alcohol ('iso') yields better results. Where high amounts of H20 are present, this means that undesirable stuff like chlorophyll (which I think is water soluble) may also be extracted. My Uncle Baldylocks advocates a purity of 99.9% for iso when performing thought experiments on iso hash oil.

The hypothetical technique you describe has me racking my addled brain. I can't arrive at a clear conclusion. I think that the cannabinoids would rise to the top in water, but a in mixture of iso/IPA and water this may not be the case. The iso/IPA may still contain trichomes and cannabinoids. The other drawback is that evaporation times would be greatly extended. These are just guesses though, and I'd be most interested to hear about the possible results of this approach.

All sorts of great research and ideas in this thread. A great approach to re-using otherwise wasted weed.
Awesome research, great well written. Thank you
Excellent report of research into the topic.

Last edited by Mindless; 09-03-2012 at 09:53. Reason: added info
Old 07-03-2012, 18:25
Titanium Member

Male from Earth

^^ Awesome research, mindless. The point of decarb-ing the herb in glycerine had me thinkng, as they did a jar with 20 g not-vaped buds(Lower branches, un-trimmable, really) and 20 oz glycerine 98% vegan stuff. The rule I heard was 1g to 1 oz glycerine, and it was too weak for this medical patient. he gulped 1 1/2 oz and it was weak.
On the other hand, they had some 151 proof everclear tincture in a beer bottle, olld. He drank, last night, a half-mouthful of juice and half a mouthful of alcohol tincture. He had only had i drink, and was out in 45 minutes, slept for a few hours in the bed
He said he will try with vaped weed when he has enough.
Good luck
Old 08-03-2012, 21:33
Titanium Member

Thanks, Mindless. That cleared up everything for me. I appreciate the time and effort you spent on typing up such an informative post!
Old 09-03-2012, 05:10
Silver Member

Male from United States
coolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPAC
Points: 2,390, Level: 7 Points: 2,390, Level: 7 Points: 2,390, Level: 7
Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2%

when i was a pot smoker i would save my vaped weed up and smoke it out of a large peace pipe i bought when i was visiting an ex girl friends family out in the western united states. the pipe itself if not good for smoking regular cannabis because it doesn't hit the that well and you have to kind of puff hard on it. its a really cool pipe, the bowl is a deer antler and it has leather wrapped around it and feathers and horse hair hanging off of it. so yea after i would vape weed i thought that i might as well get some use out of my peace pipe that is just hanging around as decoration, and would bust out my vaped weed when i had some buddies over and we would smoke out of it for shits and giggles.

not the most effective use for it as far as utilizing every last bit of thc, but it was a fun thing to do, and if i ever start smoking weed again i'd do it again.
Old 01-05-2012, 00:16
Titanium Member

Male from Earth

Mindless, and Everyone else...
The answer is a resounding YES on the BHO question
The resultant honey oils color a darker-than-normal amber, but it was not Dark-Dark. The yield was not determined,but a guess: approx .75g-1.25g from about an ounce of not dark vaped weed, i.e., it wasnt vaped to the point of tasting burnt. (they used an easy vape)
Approx 420 ml of butane was used. A little less than 1 1/2 cans. So it really was about 420ml
So it does work, and the yield isnt close to using fresh bud, but the high...
The high is potent and instant. I would guess there are unvaped trichomes in there as well, interior stuff, even though it is often ground fine. The flavor was only a slightly bit off but in no way unpleasant
Hope this satisfies any curiosity and clears it up for anyone interested in performing this

Did an experiment and posted the results!
interesting results with some useful details
Old 14-05-2012, 16:12
Co-Moderator

Over the past two months our Uncle Baldylocks has been saving the weed he has vaped, in a 100ml brown glass medicine bottle containing 40ml of pharmacopoeia grade propylene glycol. He chose this as his experience is that it can be more efficient in extractions, allowing more concentrated tinctures or infusions. Roughly 30 grams various types of herbal cannabis/buds was added over this period. The mixture was also macerated with a stick blender once the volume was sufficient, then left for another week. Throughout the process of infusion, the bottle was periodically shaken, and sat on the power adapter for old Baldy's laptop.

The infusion was initially a fairly dark brown colour, and individual droplets were a translucent green when examined against bright light. To concentrate the infusion a pyrex bowl was placed on an aromatherapy oil burner, containing one lit tea-light candle. Over 4-5 hours and a couple of candles the liquid was reduced to around 18mls and darkened to an opaque black. Effective dose is in the 2.5-5ml range for an experienced user, in other words half to one teaspoon full taken orally is more than enough. This seems like a small return, although 2-3mls gets Baldylocks very high indeed.

Last edited by Mindless; 15-05-2012 at 11:07. Reason: repetition
Old 22-11-2012, 18:33
Co-Moderator

My Uncle Baldylocks related the following information to me after a pleasant evening watching a tea-bagging demonstration at his local Vicarage. What follows is a comparison between two solvents which can be used used in cannabis extractions from 'duff' (already vaped cannabis) ; 99.9% isopropyl alcohol and acetone. Baldylocks describes an experience with acetone and isopropyl alcohol in the extraction of cannabinoids from weed duff (weed that has already been vapourised):

“The material used was a total of 50 grams of duff (cannabis which has already been vaped). This duff contained 50 grams of vaped buds. The duff was already quite finely powdered having been ground before vaping.

Acetone Extraction
A well ventilated area with no naked flames (or smoking) was chosen. 25 grams of duff was placed in the extraction vessel. 110 milliliters of acetone was poured over the duff, sufficient to enable easy mixing when agitating the jar. The vessel was shaken and swirled for 30 seconds, then was strained off into a pyrex glass jug.

Before beginning extraction a bamboo cloth was laid over a mesh metal kitchen strainer. A Wooden spoon was used to squeeze out the oil-bearing acetone, followed by further pressure applied via a potato ricer lined with bamboo cloth. The procedure was repeated and another 30 second pull (immersion in a solvent ) resulted in a much lighter colour. Most of the trichomes had been extracted by the first pull. The solutions from both pulls were mixed.

The solution was then poured into a glass butter dish lid, with a fan to expedite evaporation. The procedure was carried out with the back door and widows open. After 8 hours acetone evaporation seemed to have ceased. After a further 24 hours the resulting hash was scraped up with a palette blade and razor. Baldylocks prefers evaporation vessels to be shallow and flat, preferably with square sides, this makes removing the hash or oil much simpler. Evaporation took place in an empty room with an open window. A total of 1.6 grams of high quality hash was recovered from 25 grams of duff.

Acetone hash on the left, Iso-hash on the right.

The hash is extremely sticky, bubbles readily when heated and is potent. 0.20 grams vapourised over 15 minutes was a most effective dose. This was placed on a bed of cotton wool and vaped using a wispr (a handheld portable butane vapouriser). The oils from the acetone hash run a bit when heated to 190 degrees Celsius, leaving stains in the cotton. Plentiful clouds of tasty vapour were produced over quarter of an hour. The substance handles well straight from the freezer, it's easy to slice off a piece with a sharp blade. Handled warm it sticks to everything, although wet fingers help to prevent adhesion. An alternative to freezing is heating with a lighter flame on a blade or spoon, this makes it easier to drip or spread.

Acetone Hash from duff.

Isopropyl Alcohol Extraction
The same procedure was used as with the acetone extraction, including two 30 second pulls. Around 110 milliliters of isopropyl alcohol was used for each pull, again the second time resulted in a clearer solution.

The solution was poured into a pyrex glass casserole dish lid, next to the acetone solution (but in separate containers). Both were left to evaporate in a well ventilated unused room. After 24 hours the vessel was completely dry. The contents were removed with a scraper and blade as before, and were formed into a piece of very potent hashish weighing 1.4 grams.

Iso-Hash from duff.

The iso-hash is indistinguishable from the acetone hash. A strong buzz at 0.20 grams vapourised in a wispr. The effects were great. A cottonwood substrate was used to vape the iso hash, a little staining and running was evident. Vapour production was good, as was the taste. Both hashes tend to stick to everything, while refusing to adhere where they are wanted.

Both versions were successful, they bubble nicely when heated, run to an extent and are quite thermoplastic. The iso-hash and the acetone hash seemed to be equally potent. . They both taste great when vaped. The only thing that seems to set them apart is the faster evaporation times of acetone.”

Use and Storage of Solvents
Both acetone and isopropyl alcohol can cause a giddiness and drowsiness via inhalation. Isopropyl alcohol is notorious as a cause of fires, it is vital to ensure that the lid is properly secured. Ideally it should be kept away from main dwelling areas, old Baldy stores his in a garden shed. Never use either of these solvents when smoking, or in the presence of naked flame. Even a pilot light on a boiler or cooker could ignite the fumes, possibly with explosive consequences. Volatile or dangerous chemicals must be kept out of the reach of children or vulnerable adults at all times.

It is a sensible precaution to store either solvent in a suitable and clearly labeled container. This may help prevent accidental ingestion. It is also safest to allow a long period of time to allow full evaporation of the solvent in question. A large surface area of shallow depth makes for faster evaporation, as does a fan. To play on the safe side Baldylocks leaves at least an extra 24 hours longer when the product seems dry.

Ventilation is essential as it allows inflammable and toxic fumes to escape. It is crucial that a suitable area is chosen with care. An Eye Bath can be kept in the area used, in case chemicals like acetone or isopropyl alcohol come into contact with the eyes. These allow irrigation of the eye and are rudimentary first aid supplies in many workplaces. It is also advisable to wear eye protection.

Skin damage is unlikely when coming briefly into contact with both acetone and isopropyl alcohol. Avoid repeated and/or lengthy exposure or skin problems are likely, including cracking, dryness, and shedding of skin. With a careful approach its easy to avoid direct contact, however some may prefer to use gloves and are wise to do so.

Tidying Up
Oil stains come with the territory when it comes to cannabis oil or very resinous hash. These are practically impossible to remove from cloth, so choose old clothing and surface areas which are less porous and can be wiped down. It's best to remove oil spills immediately from even hard surfaces, or they can become permanent. Uncle Baldylocks prefers to leave no sign that there has been any extraction, either on his equipment or household surfaces and clothes.

Cleaning equipment promptly is a good habit to get into. There is nothing to indicate that a glass lid has been used to extract oil once it has been cleaned. Once evaporation vessels have been scraped more or less clean, isopropyl alcohol or acetone could be used to remove the last few smears. This resulting solution can be placed in a smaller evaporation vessel, so more oil can be recovered. During this particular experiment Baldylocks reaped an extra 0.6 grams of combined iso and acetone hash (both had evaporated) by following this procedure. Minimal amounts of cannabinoid-bearing solvents can be poured back into their container for future use, as long as care is taken to place the right solvent in the appropriate container.

Isopropyl alcohol bearing dregs of each extraction.

Disposal of Waste
Flushing the leftover weed or hashish with water for a couple of minutes before disposal is advisable, or fumes may build up in waste bins or bags. This could be a hazard to others and a fire risk. Washing out empty solvent containers thoroughly is also a thoughtful act for the same reason. Once this has been done it is also possible to remove labels from containers. Cloth filters should also be thoroughly flushed with cold water before storage or disposal.

Nice TEK, great photos. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by Mindless; 25-11-2012 at 13:43. Reason: format and punctuation, plus new comment

Share this on:

Tags
acetone extraction of cannabis, acetone hash, cannabis extraction, duff, extraction of cannabis from duff, extraction of cannabis from vaped hashish, extraction of cannabis from vaped weed, iso-hash, isopropyl alcohol extraction of cannabis, trichomes