Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery > Amphetamines addiction
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Amphetamines addiction Support for coping with Amphetamine-, Meth- and Ecstasy- addiction and Amphetamine addiction treatment.

Old 10-02-2012, 20:35

23 y/o Male from United States
Twininkie is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
How should i wean myself off high dose of adderall?

I'm prescribed 30mg twice a day (60mg)
Lately I've been going above 100mg (145mg-210mg)

I tried going back to regular dose, and its horrible.
How should I go about weaning myself off this high dose of adderall?
Any help is much appreciated
Old 13-02-2012, 01:55
Silver Member

47 y/o Male from United States
makin is on the way upmakin is on the way upmakin is on the way upmakin is on the way up
Points: 454, Level: 3 Points: 454, Level: 3 Points: 454, Level: 3
Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6%
Re: How should i wean myself off high dose of adderall?

If you have the time just stop you will get tired and go to sleep. The nice thing about amphetamines is that they really aren't physically addictive you don't get sick like heroin you just get tired.

I probably would take an ambien and sleep as long as I could. Wake up eat a big meal do whatever you want and as soon as you start getting tired and craving the speed take another ambien and sleep as long as you can wake up eat repeat after about 36-48 hrs of sleep wake up and wait as long as you can then take your regular 30 mg morning dose. and enjoy the day taking your second 30 when your schedule requires.

I am not sure if that is what you are supposed to do, maybe someone has a better idea. that is just what I would do.

I am curious do you get sleep when you take 210 mg in one day or are you up all night.
Old 19-02-2012, 03:42
Silver Member

25 y/o Male from United States
Impure157 is captain of the psychonauts.Impure157 is captain of the psychonauts.Impure157 is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 298, Level: 2 Points: 298, Level: 2 Points: 298, Level: 2
Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4%

Please bear with me, this post will be lengthy but hopefully at least some part of it will help you in even a small way.

This situation sounds almost exactly like something I recently dealt with, and I will not beat around the bush, in the short term you do not have an easy time ahead of you, but if you can take the time off and get your head clear, it is absolutely worth the bullshit in the interim.

I don't know anything of your situation outside of what you posted but so my story has a little context I'll start at the beginning.
I am legally prescribed 50mg of Dextro-amphetamine daily. So right after graduating college my schedule suddenly consisted of nothing except job interviews, and occasionally working with the schools placement department. Also at this time I had an abundance of my d-amph sorta laying around. What started as simply having some well deserved fun to celebrate surviving six-years of 50-80 hours of school and work a week quickly became needing double, or on bad days even triple my 50mg prescribed dose to really accomplish anything, or even feel human.

The only saving grace was that the d-amph ran out long before my next appointment to get my Rx and nearly every person I knew who could help acquire other peoples scripts or even some speed had moved away over the past year.
I tried weaning myself off, taking just a lighter dose of XR when I woke up hoping to taper down and avoid any serious withdrawal. Normally this would not have been an issue but with nothing to do to occupy myself and a lack of friends that were still in the same city I succumbed more to boredom than anything and weaning myself off failed.
With no real options I went cold turkey, from 100-200mg d-amph daily to 0mg. The first day and a half or two days didn't seem so bad, I realize now that was more or less my bodies flushing/detoxing period. After those days I had about 2 1/2 weeks straight of an unreliable sleep schedule consisting of sleeping 12-14 hours a day with very vivid and sometimes bothersome dreams (not nightmares or anything like that, just extremely realistic and simultaneously surreal). Then add to that a near compulsion to eat at every chance (I was never really hungry but never got full, it was a kind of strange unconscious need to just try to feel full) and you've got an idea of what going cold turkey from that kind of habit could be like.

Now that may sound pretty terrible (or not, I don't know if maybe this is mild as far as stimulant withdrawal) but it was for me, probably would be for anyone especially anyone without so much free time, but when it lets up, which the sleep and vivid dreaming does quite suddenly, you will feel surprisingly so much better than you would imagine.
The appetite issue was still a problem for a while after this but it literally was like my brain suddenly came back online, one day you'll notice "Oh, i only slept, 9 or 10 hours today and I didn't feel like passing back out as soon as i woke up." then the next day "Hmm, 8 hours and I feel almost normal again."
There was a problem with a sudden onset of fatigue later in the day during the first little while after the sleep problems cleared up but nothing a caffeine pill or cup of coffee a little before lunch couldn't handle.

I know my post is completely worthless if the only thing you were looking for was a good guideline on how to gradually come off a fairly major pharmaceutical amphetamine binge but if you have responsibilities or something to keep your mind occupied hopefully you'll have better luck than I did. Even if you fall into the same sort of "trap" I did just know that after a little hell you'll fairly quickly remember what it feels like to be able to go back to living without being in that sort of constant state of fast forward.

(And to be clear after that period and then another week and a half or so of sitting on unfilled scripts just to prove to myself i had some self control, I was able to go back to my prescribed dose fairly uneventfully and while still benefiting from the prescription the way I had before this.)

Post Quality Evaluations:
this post has a great deal of information, should be helpful to many , thanks
Old 12-03-2012, 19:42

29 y/o Male from United States
sticknmove84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1

I just got off of adderall, and my God was it awful for the first 2 weeks. I went from 3 30s a day, up to 25 30's a day when it got the worse. I have never weened myself off of them I just had to quit cold turkey. My addiction got to a point where I would just continue to take them until my body shut down. I wanted to be on the go go go, that sleep was just not an option. I wanted to sleep but felt like I could be doing something. Like I said, the first 2-4 weeks were awful, but after that, like Impure wrote, my brain kind of kicked back on and was like, wtf are you doing sleeping for so long and eating all day. My biggest struggle is still the constant eating, up and down moods, and the unstable emotional rollercoaster I am on. I am getting therapy 5 days a week, and it is better, but its going to take a while. I would like to know if any of you guys had the feeling of being "cleaner, more put together, and not so dirty" and if that feeling comes back even when your not taking adderall. When I am off of them, i feel dirty and just like a blob of fat. Dont really want to go out, and dont care if I am in sweatpants most of my day. Anyway, my post may or may not be relevant, but it does get better, i just know I cant go back to taking my perscribed dose as much as I would love to be able to handle it I cant.

this is so true, but it gets better, I agree
Old 19-03-2012, 01:01
Banned

36 y/o Male from United States
Kidx needs to UTFSE some more before posting.

To seen off: start taking a smaller dose every weeks, stopping if you start to feel too uncomfortable. Try to to reduce it by 5mg per week until you are at the desired level.
Old 07-07-2012, 18:47

45 y/o Female from United States
built4fun1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticknmove84 View Post
I just got off of adderall, and my God was it awful for the first 2 weeks. I went from 3 30s a day, up to 25 30's a day when it got the worse. I have never weened myself off of them I just had to quit cold turkey. My addiction got to a point where I would just continue to take them until my body shut down. I wanted to be on the go go go, that sleep was just not an option. I wanted to sleep but felt like I could be doing something. Like I said, the first 2-4 weeks were awful, but after that, like Impure wrote, my brain kind of kicked back on and was like, wtf are you doing sleeping for so long and eating all day. My biggest struggle is still the constant eating, up and down moods, and the unstable emotional rollercoaster I am on. I am getting therapy 5 days a week, and it is better, but its going to take a while. I would like to know if any of you guys had the feeling of being "cleaner, more put together, and not so dirty" and if that feeling comes back even when your not taking adderall. When I am off of them, i feel dirty and just like a blob of fat. Dont really want to go out, and dont care if I am in sweatpants most of my day. Anyway, my post may or may not be relevant, but it does get better, i just know I cant go back to taking my perscribed dose as much as I would love to be able to handle it I cant.
In re to your question "has anyone felt less put together, ie;don't care if wear sweatpants all day etc"
Hell yes, I have been off meth for weeks after an solid 2 plus year daily use regimen of approx half gram daily.
I took decent care of myself when on meth- in re to the way I looked etc- and was positively a dental wizard about caring for my teeth etc. I never looked unkempt, and would never considered stayin in my running pants all day and not even combing hair all day! I tried to keep a low profile with my meth use and keeping up with a decent hygiene/ dressing/grooming etc was one way to do that.
I lost weight tho, and was hard to hide my weight loss- so i would kayer clothes if weather permitted, to make me appear larger. I never left house or let friends/boyfriends etc see me without make up etc- with few exceptions.
I feel like such a slob now, and I gross mysself out to think I have become so lax in my caring for my appearance. I know using meth again not the answer- but I hate the way I look now more than ever- I am not obese- weigh a modest 125 pounds and have decent figure I guess- have all my teeth at 43 years old.lol. but the will to do ANYTHING HAS EVADED ME- IT IS NOT GETTING BETTER!
I read all these posts from peeps that say-" get outside, eat wellk, find a distraction etc- BUT I DONT WANT TO OR CANT FIND THE ENERGY TO WANT TO!! UGGG.
I have no heatlh insurance, in re; to getting on some meds etc to ease this death from boredom and lethargy. The only free clinic I know of in the twin city area for peeps is for STD testing- and sex is the least of my concerns.
SO in response to your question- (sorry for the rant- but it just all came out
Yes, I know how you feel.

i like the post, full of honesty
Old 07-07-2012, 20:09
Silver Member

Female from United Kingdom
lil miss goose is a decent psychonaut.lil miss goose is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 153, Level: 2 Points: 153, Level: 2 Points: 153, Level: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by built4fun1 View Post
In re to your question "has anyone felt less put together, ie;don't care if wear sweatpants all day etc"
Hell yes, I have been off meth for weeks after an solid 2 plus year daily use regimen of approx half gram daily.
I took decent care of myself when on meth- in re to the way I looked etc- and was positively a dental wizard about caring for my teeth etc. I never looked unkempt, and would never considered stayin in my running pants all day and not even combing hair all day! I tried to keep a low profile with my meth use and keeping up with a decent hygiene/ dressing/grooming etc was one way to do that.
I lost weight tho, and was hard to hide my weight loss- so i would kayer clothes if weather permitted, to make me appear larger. I never left house or let friends/boyfriends etc see me without make up etc- with few exceptions.
I feel like such a slob now, and I gross mysself out to think I have become so lax in my caring for my appearance. I know using meth again not the answer- but I hate the way I look now more than ever- I am not obese- weigh a modest 125 pounds and have decent figure I guess- have all my teeth at 43 years old.lol. but the will to do ANYTHING HAS EVADED ME- IT IS NOT GETTING BETTER!
I read all these posts from peeps that say-" get outside, eat wellk, find a distraction etc- BUT I DONT WANT TO OR CANT FIND THE ENERGY TO WANT TO!! UGGG.
I have no heatlh insurance, in re; to getting on some meds etc to ease this death from boredom and lethargy. The only free clinic I know of in the twin city area for peeps is for STD testing- and sex is the least of my concerns.
SO in response to your question- (sorry for the rant- but it just all came out
Yes, I know how you feel.
I just had to respond when i read this, i could not have put it better myself. Almost word for word your describing me and where i am right now. I so want to care about my appearance etc, just like i always did but it just doesnt happen, i just havent got any energy what so ever.

I had a 10 year addiction to Amphetamine, huge chunk of my life but thankfully i managed to stop a year ago, the only way i could do this was to just stop, i had four attempts cutting down etc, but slowly my intake crept up not down. I knew i was in for a rough time so planned for it but i really thought i would be all fixed by now, which iam lots better just my get up n go has got up n gone!!!!
To be honest i thought at times things were better when using, at least i functioned, but iam so happy i have stuck at it. The lack of energy which i thought was due to being depressed, which is due to my addiction, turns out to have alot to do with not having a good diet for the ten years. After several blood tests iam lacking in vital vitamins etc that we usually get from a normal diet.

I am now trying to eat well, without putting on weight which has become an issue, and put back some of the good stuff we need to function. Fingers crossed i will get more motivated if i get moving and back to normal (whatever that is). You never know maybe a good vitamin supplement may help you too.

good post and good advice
Old 15-04-2013, 00:50

28 y/o Female from United States
minderbender is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1

I have experienced the same withdrawal symptoms the.original OP describes. Tapering is certainly the best route. Take a week to taper down. Once there, a low maintenance dose of 5-10mgs for 2weeks while your body adjusts eliminates the "fat" "unkempt" feeling. During this 2 week period focus on diet, nutrition and exercise. At very low doses of 5-20mgs, you will not feel withdrawal symptoms if you do not take every day. My experience that is.

Share this on:

Tags
adderall, aderall, amphetamine, amphetamine binge, binge, cold turkey, huge doses, taper, tapering, weaning