Silver Member

Female from Canada
LostControl is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 313, Level: 2 Points: 313, Level: 2 Points: 313, Level: 2
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%
News on OxyNeo from the Canadian Pharmacists Letter

Canadian Pharmacist's Letter: January 2012; Vol: 28, No. 1
OPIOIDS
OxyContin will be replaced with OxyNeo to help reduce abuse.
OxyNeo tablets are formulated to make them harder to break.
This makes it difficult for people to chew OxyNeo to release all of the drug at once...or crush it into a powder to snort.
And people who try to dissolve the new tabs in water or alcohol get a gummy gel that can't be drawn up in a syringe.
The company will phase out OxyContin in early 2012.
OxyNeo is bioequivalent to OxyContin...but there are slight differences.
The new tabs take slightly longer to reach peak levels, which could be perceived as being less effective. They also have a slightly higher peak, which might lead to more side effects.
OxyNeo will also come in fewer strengths than OxyContin. For example, you won't be able to get OxyNeo in 5, 120, or 160 mg tablets.
If patients complain that OxyNeo doesn't work as well as OxyContin, recommend titrating the dose...or switching to another long-acting opioid.
Keep in mind that OxyNeo won't curb all abuse. Patients can still take larger amounts orally...and some folks are already trying to figure out how to get oxycodone out of the new tabs.
Warn patients not to wet or lick OxyNeo tablets prior to putting them in their mouth...there are reports of patients choking because the tablet forms a gummy gel when it's wet. Have them swallow each tablet one at a time if they have to take multiple tablets per dose.

LostControl added 8 Minutes and 7 Seconds later...

A few things to point out from the above post:
1) The new tabs take slightly longer to reach peak levels, which could be perceived as being less effective. They also have a slightly higher peak, which might lead to more side effects.- More drugs from each tablet? Somehow I don't think so. We're not that lucky.
2) If patients complain that OxyNeo doesn't work as well as OxyContin, recommend titrating the dose...or switching to another long-acting opioid. - So, they are saying that you can expect to write higher prescriptions for OxyContin, Interesting that they are trying to get patients to use another drug. There is something going on where Purdue is getting shafted.
3) there are reports of patients choking because the tablet forms a gummy gel - how long before someone chokes and dies taking one of these? Can we sue the government for this? I sure hope so!!!

Last edited by LostControl; 30-12-2011 at 15:18. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-02-2012, 14:25
Silver Member

Female from Canada
OxyNeo news for Canadians ;(

From the Canadian HealthCare Network:

OxyNEO soon to replace OxyContin
Purdue Pharma will be discontinuing OxyContin at the end of this month. Written by Lu-Ann Murdoch on February 7, 2012 for CanadianHealthcareNetwork.ca
Purdue Pharma will be discontinuing OxyContin (oxycodone HCl controlled-release tablets) on February 29, 2012. OxyContin is being replaced by OxyNEO (oxycodone HCl controlled-release tablets), a new formulation designed to form a hydrogel when mixed with water. OxyNEO is expected to be associated with a lower incidence of tampering, misuse and abuse compared to OxyContin.
OxyNEO controlled-release tablets are expected to be available from wholesalers within the next two weeks. They will be supplied in the following strengths: 10 mg, 15 mg, 20 mg, 30 mg, 40 mg, 60 mg and 80 mg.
Bioavailability studies (under both fasting and fed conditions) show that OxyNEO is bioequivalent to OxyContin when given in equal doses. Patients receiving oral oxycodone formulations can be transferred to OxyNEO at the same total daily oxycodone dose, equally divided into two 12-hourly doses. However, a new prescription will be required for patients switching from other oxycodone formulations to OxyNEO.
References
  1. Purdue Pharma. Attention all pharmacists. Purdue Pharma is replacing OxyContin with OxyNEO. February 1, 2012.
  2. British Columbia Pharmacy Association. Purdue Pharma removing OxyContin from market. Issue Update, Issue # 2012-08, February 6, 2012.
Old 15-02-2012, 23:21
Mercury Member

Male from Canada
Pain Hurts needs to UTFSE some more before posting.
Re: OxyNeo news for Canadians ;(

Im still waiting ...... and so many others are biting their cuticles, there are no nails left.

As always, my personal experience with 40mg foreign were documented here, with a 2nd professional opinion, and trust me fellow members you will hear some fairly accurate feedback on this new formulation.

If and when it ever reaches me.

ps. The Kings will be easily distinguishable in the underground drug culture , for those who are lucky enough to keep their hands on the old school formulation.

and as long as my pain is being managed I could not care less. Kinda.
Old 16-02-2012, 15:58
Silver Member

Female from Canada

Having heard so many stories of people complaining of vomiting up gel, or having "wormy gel poop" I'm not looking forward to what will happen after Feb 29th. I have had SO much trouble in the last 10 1/2 years getting my pain under control - I've finally had it controlled the last few years, and don't want to do anything to mess it up. I don't know if OxyNeo will even be absorbed at all in my digestive system - I guess the month of March could be a very rough one for me. I am trying to go into it with an open mind - maybe I won't notice any difference at all, right?
Old 16-02-2012, 22:33
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from Canada
Bunnintreez is a decent psychonaut.

Damn, so sad oh well, hopefully this means there will be more hydromorphone, heroin, fentanyl etc. around. My guess is it will still be around for a couple more month like in the states, i beleive pharmacies have to keep giving out the old formula untill there out of stock. I could be wrong, dont quote me on that lol
Old 18-02-2012, 06:38
Mercury Member

Male from Canada

UPDATE directly from article:

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/a...enefit-program

I will take the main point out of this rather long article and Moderators I would appreciate coaching on this process moving forward so all alike Chronic pain patients alike may benefit from REAL TIME updates and rest easy, at least 1 extra night. Thanks.

HERE is the Loophole / Catch / Scoop to these changes we have been discussing: (from Article)

Patients who currently receive OxyContin under the Ontario Drug Benefit program will continue to get the drug for one month. After April 2, these patients will receive coverage for OxyNEO for an additional year. Beyond that time, they will need approval by the Exceptional Access Program.

The remainder, read the article. Tike will tell, I am very certain, as a disabled person with congenital conditions I will not be cut off. Ever.

Pain Hurts added 30 Minutes and 8 Seconds later...

Here is the direct link to the Exceptional Access Program.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/...gs/eap_mn.html

I look forward to tearing anyone who questions me a new one in the next 6-18months. Hopefully never, but you never know, do we.

Last edited by Pain Hurts; 18-02-2012 at 06:38. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 18-02-2012, 18:17
Silver Member

Female from Canada

Shit Shit Shit! I get my Oxy currently through the ON drug program for patients with catastrophic drug costs - so not only am I going to be taking shitty gel OxyNeos, but now I'm going to have to start walking the streets to pay for it?! Time to move on to Heroin.... (only kidding of course... but it's how I'm feeling at the moment).
The good (?) news is that patients have 1 year to move on to some other drug - so it's not like they're cutting us all off on March 1st. We also can apply to the Exceptional Access program, which says we can get coverage, you just have to prove that no other drug in the same class works for you. As we now are in the Limited Access program (which has your doc use a code that says that you have already tried other drugs in the same class and they haven't worked for you - so a bit more paperwork, but not a gigantic change).

I also hear that the Federal Government, which administers Indian Affairs drug coverage is also not going to cover OxyNeo for Natives. As over 1/2 of some reserves (according to the news) are addicted to OxyC, this could be a huge disaster in the making. So many people either in withdrawal, or finding other alternatives (too bad you can't buy stocks in Heroin - I can imagine that the price is going to skyrocket in the next few months). Then they looked at how many people on the reserves actually had a legit prescription for OC, and they discovered that only about 100 people did - so the vast majority of the Natives are getting their OC illegally anyway. So, while the newspapers are bitching and moaning that OxyNeo isn't covered by Indian Affairs, and these reserves are going to be rattling like crazy in withdrawal, in actual fact, things are likely going to get a lot cheaper for Natives, as OxyNeo is obviously going to be cheaper than OC was. It's going to be a very interesting few months coming up for us Oxy Users!!!
Old 19-02-2012, 20:50
Mercury Member

Male from Canada

Here is , yet again, in Real time, as fast as I could get it; the recent changes, again;
From: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2342526/

Article:

Provinces clamp down on OxyContin abuse

By ANNA MEHLER PAPERNY
From Saturday's Globe and Mail
Ontario, PEI, Manitoba and B.C. will only pay for OxyContin and similar opioids under exceptional circumstances

The epicentres of Canada's prescription pill problem have said they'll only pay for the leading brand of potent painkillers under special circumstances - one of the most dramatic steps taken in years to tackle the country's fastest-growing addiction.
Purdue Pharmaceuticals, which manufactures OxyContin, is replacing it with a drug that's supposed to be less prone to abuse. But some provinces have decided that's not good enough.
Ontario confirmed Friday that, starting at the end of the month, OxyContin - and its replacement, OxyNEO - will no longer be covered under the province's general benefits plan. Any doctor who wants to prescribe a provincially funded dose of the long-acting oxycodone will need to prove that other attempts to treat a patient's pain have failed. While this and other precautions have been "guidelines" for years, now they are a requirement.
"The active ingredient in OxyNEO is the same ingredient as in OxyContin, so it still has the same risks. ... That's why we felt it was important to strengthen the funding requirements," said Diane McArthur, Ontario's assistant deputy minister and executive officer of Ontario Public Drug Programs. "Ontario has the highest level of OxyContin use in the country. And that was quite concerning to us."
Other provinces are making similar moves. Prince Edward Island, which already had special criteria for OxyContin prescriptions, has no plans to pay for new OxyNEO prescriptions. Manitoba only pays for OxyContin in exceptional circumstances and, along with British Columbia, has yet to make a decision on whether to pay for the drug's replacement. Saskatchewan will make a decision on paying for the new drug as early as next week.
The federal government, which funds aboriginals not covered by provincial programs, has said it will only cover OxyNEO under extenuating circumstances.
Purdue acknowledges that addiction to its prescription painkiller is a growing health problem. The pharmaceutical giant developed OxyNEO "in an effort to make the tablets more difficult to be manipulated for the purpose of misuse and abuse," said vice-president of corporate affairs Randy Steffan. OxyNEO also uses oxycodone, but is more difficult to crush, snort and inject.
But addiction experts argue that isn't enough. And the provinces' reluctance to fund one of the most popular painkillers out there indicates just how seriously they're taking this problem.
Mr. Steffan wouldn't comment on that reluctance. "Questions about reimbursement for OxyNEO," he said, "should be directed to provincial health authorities."
The move comes years after health-care practitioners first began sounding the alarm on the growing number of Canadians addicted to - and dying from - prescription pills.
"I think it's a major step in the right direction, from a public health perspective," said Irfan Dhalla, a doctor at St. Michael's in Toronto.
But even as provinces move to narrow the supply of opioids, treatment options for addicts remain inadequate - especially where the need is greatest: in smaller, more remote communities with huge addiction rates and few or no treatment services.
"It's no panacea," says Clement Sun, who runs a methadone clinic in Toronto. "In southern Ontario, and in larger centres, [treatment availability is] pretty good. But rural areas and in Northern Ontario, they're desperate."
In Northern Ontario, the prospect of OxyContin's phase-out prompted a call for help from health-care practitioners and community leaders with the Nishnawbe Aski Nation. There are so many addicts, and so few treatment facilities, that a disrupted supply could be a body blow to tiny communities.
Claudette Chase, medical director for the Sioux Lookout First Nation's health authority and a member of the Nishnawbe Aski Nation's prescription drug abuse task force, estimates that about a third of the aboriginal population in her area of northwestern Ontario is addicted to prescription opioids. In some communities, it's as high as 75 per cent. Of the thousands who need treatment, she said, less than 10 per cent are getting help.
Part of the problem is the paperwork needed to access Suboxone, an easy-to-use alternative to methadone, the most common treatment for opioid addiction. Ontario's Ms. McArthur said the province will meet shortly with the drug's manufacturer, Reckitt Benckiser, about "new information" on the drug; lowering the barriers to prescribing Suboxone is a possibility.
In the meantime, Dr. Chase worries about a drought of OxyContin in communities with high addiction levels. The impacts could range from mass, racking withdrawals to more deaths thanks to an all-too-versatile illicit drug market, she said.
"This should be treated as a public health emergency."

Ontario's methadone caseload in December, 2010: 29,332 patients, 296 physicians, 105 offices
Ontario's methadone caseload in December, 2011: 35,228 patients, 340 physicians, 120 offices
Estimated number of aboriginals in northwestern Ontario addicted to OxyContin
Estimated percentage of those receiving treatment
Estimated percentage of Northwestern Ontario's First Nations population addicted to OxyContin
Estimated percentage of OxyContin-addicted residents in some of Northwestern Ontario's hardest-hit communities.
Aboriginal Canadians receiving OxyContin under Ottawa's health program.
Aboriginal Canadians on methadone treatment under Ottawa's health program
Aboriginal Canadians on Suboxone treatment under Ottawa's health program.
$90-million
Amount Health Canada spends on addiction services for First Nations and Inuit.
Sources: Health Canada, Ontario Health Ministry, Nishnawbe Aski Nation

Pain Hurts added 12 Minutes and 48 Seconds later...

Thanks guys! , no one specific , but you really messed things up for the guy in the chair, and luck for people like the guy (me) they wont give me a 2nd look but boy do some fellow members have to be sweating , literally, buckets, even if they still got their hands on their last couple weeks supply.

My mom did say honesty was the best policy & "what comes around goes around" (kid), also, no kidding, ironically from 1 of my old time, all time favorite rap groups many moons ago.

Stuff really is beginning to come full circle. ....and to all the smarty pants that did not believe me when I mentioned pill counts at the middle of the month by your doc randomly are , or may now be legal are coming?

Word to the wise (and I am not one of the wise currently trust me, but have the potential).....

So, now to all you great friends who go out of your ways to drive me to my appointments and to get my shopping done, then leave me at the bus stop when I am dry (story I heard) , Cypress Hill is a steep bitch to climb.

Pain Hurts added 932 Minutes and 27 Seconds later...

Most Recent Update, Again.

Source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle2342526/

Provinces clamp down on OxyContin abuse

By ANNA MEHLER PAPERNY
From Saturday's Globe and Mail
Ontario, PEI, Manitoba and B.C. will only pay for OxyContin and similar opioids under exceptional circumstances

The epicentres of Canada's prescription pill problem have said they'll only pay for the leading brand of potent painkillers under special circumstances - one of the most dramatic steps taken in years to tackle the country's fastest-growing addiction.
Purdue Pharmaceuticals, which manufactures OxyContin, is replacing it with a drug that's supposed to be less prone to abuse. But some provinces have decided that's not good enough.
Ontario confirmed Friday that, starting at the end of the month, OxyContin - and its replacement, OxyNEO - will no longer be covered under the province's general benefits plan. Any doctor who wants to prescribe a provincially funded dose of the long-acting oxycodone will need to prove that other attempts to treat a patient's pain have failed. While this and other precautions have been "guidelines" for years, now they are a requirement.
"The active ingredient in OxyNEO is the same ingredient as in OxyContin, so it still has the same risks. ... That's why we felt it was important to strengthen the funding requirements," said Diane McArthur, Ontario's assistant deputy minister and executive officer of Ontario Public Drug Programs. "Ontario has the highest level of OxyContin use in the country. And that was quite concerning to us."
Other provinces are making similar moves. Prince Edward Island, which already had special criteria for OxyContin prescriptions, has no plans to pay for new OxyNEO prescriptions. Manitoba only pays for OxyContin in exceptional circumstances and, along with British Columbia, has yet to make a decision on whether to pay for the drug's replacement. Saskatchewan will make a decision on paying for the new drug as early as next week.
The federal government, which funds aboriginals not covered by provincial programs, has said it will only cover OxyNEO under extenuating circumstances.
Purdue acknowledges that addiction to its prescription painkiller is a growing health problem. The pharmaceutical giant developed OxyNEO "in an effort to make the tablets more difficult to be manipulated for the purpose of misuse and abuse," said vice-president of corporate affairs Randy Steffan. OxyNEO also uses oxycodone, but is more difficult to crush, snort and inject.
But addiction experts argue that isn't enough. And the provinces' reluctance to fund one of the most popular painkillers out there indicates just how seriously they're taking this problem.
Mr. Steffan wouldn't comment on that reluctance. "Questions about reimbursement for OxyNEO," he said, "should be directed to provincial health authorities."
The move comes years after health-care practitioners first began sounding the alarm on the growing number of Canadians addicted to - and dying from - prescription pills.
"I think it's a major step in the right direction, from a public health perspective," said Irfan Dhalla, a doctor at St. Michael's in Toronto.
But even as provinces move to narrow the supply of opioids, treatment options for addicts remain inadequate - especially where the need is greatest: in smaller, more remote communities with huge addiction rates and few or no treatment services.
"It's no panacea," says Clement Sun, who runs a methadone clinic in Toronto. "In southern Ontario, and in larger centres, [treatment availability is] pretty good. But rural areas and in Northern Ontario, they're desperate."
In Northern Ontario, the prospect of OxyContin's phase-out prompted a call for help from health-care practitioners and community leaders with the Nishnawbe Aski Nation. There are so many addicts, and so few treatment facilities, that a disrupted supply could be a body blow to tiny communities.
Claudette Chase, medical director for the Sioux Lookout First Nation's health authority and a member of the Nishnawbe Aski Nation's prescription drug abuse task force, estimates that about a third of the aboriginal population in her area of northwestern Ontario is addicted to prescription opioids. In some communities, it's as high as 75 per cent. Of the thousands who need treatment, she said, less than 10 per cent are getting help.
Part of the problem is the paperwork needed to access Suboxone, an easy-to-use alternative to methadone, the most common treatment for opioid addiction. Ontario's Ms. McArthur said the province will meet shortly with the drug's manufacturer, Reckitt Benckiser, about "new information" on the drug; lowering the barriers to prescribing Suboxone is a possibility.
In the meantime, Dr. Chase worries about a drought of OxyContin in communities with high addiction levels. The impacts could range from mass, racking withdrawals to more deaths thanks to an all-too-versatile illicit drug market, she said.
"This should be treated as a public health emergency."

Ontario's methadone caseload in December, 2010: 29,332 patients, 296 physicians, 105 offices
Ontario's methadone caseload in December, 2011: 35,228 patients, 340 physicians, 120 offices
Estimated number of aboriginals in northwestern Ontario addicted to OxyContin
Estimated percentage of those receiving treatment
Estimated percentage of Northwestern Ontario's First Nations population addicted to OxyContin
Estimated percentage of OxyContin-addicted residents in some of Northwestern Ontario's hardest-hit communities.
Aboriginal Canadians receiving OxyContin under Ottawa's health program.
Aboriginal Canadians on methadone treatment under Ottawa's health program
Aboriginal Canadians on Suboxone treatment under Ottawa's health program.
$90-million
Amount Health Canada spends on addiction services for First Nations and Inuit.
Sources: Health Canada, Ontario Health Ministry, Nishnawbe Aski Nation

Pain Hurts added 5 Minutes and 27 Seconds later...

Oops, the content may be mostly id nor all same, the article was only minorly edited, as to clarify that people like me with real issues will be covered and need not worry but the other side of the coin, well, you are fucked.

Start saving.

Last edited by Pain Hurts; 19-02-2012 at 20:50. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 19-02-2012, 22:22
Silver Member

Female from Canada

Hey PH - thanks for the posts. A LOT of fear mongering on the part of the newspapers - trying to be all sensational when it's not as dire as they make it out to be. They talk about all the Natives that are going to be without Oxycontin now that Indian Affairs will no longer cover the cost of the drug - yet when they talked to Indian Affairs - only a very small number of people were actually getting their Oxycontin paid for by IA. Over 1/2 the people on the Reserve might be addicted, but the vast majority of those people are getting their drugs illegally. For them, the cost is probably going to DECREASE - as OxyNeo won't be in as in demand as OC was.

Personally I'm not freaked out (anymore! Now that I've read ALL the details - some of the first articles I read left out the important details - like you can apply for an exception, or that you get grandfathered in for the first year). I have very legit pain issues - and went through the trials of morphine, etc... to get to OxyContin - just as you're supposed to to be allowed Limited Access with the Ontario Drug Plan. While I'm not worried about getting OxyNeo, I'm still planning on asking the doctor to switch me anyway - many reasons, too long to go into here.
Old 20-02-2012, 20:20
Silver Member

38 y/o Male from Canada
Hogboy is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 40, Level: 1 Points: 40, Level: 1 Points: 40, Level: 1
Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6%

The streets are crazy, dealers hoarding, prices through the roof. OxyNeo will be interesting.
Old 20-02-2012, 23:38
Mercury Member

Male from Canada

LostcCtrl;

"Personally I'm not freaked out (anymore! Now that I've read ALL the details - some of the first articles I read left out the important details - like you can apply for an exception, or that you get grandfathered in for the first year).'

THIS WAS AND IS MY MAIN ISSUE, as long as I keep , I will get my pain relievers free there is no issue with me. All I need is continuation. but in 6 months if I am the only one in the area (and 10 abusers know I have them) , the old formula, then I might need to invest in some heavy duty security or covert ...anyhow, I am kidding, someone is ALEWAYS at home at my house, and at my neighbors, 100% of the days 24 hours, plus we got a better community watch and direct line to the local police in such by the time 2 masked made it to me they have 60sec's to put that shitty piece of junk glock or .22 to my head and by the time we get into the spot (which takes time) , the whole Macy's Christmas Day Parade is gonna be in sitting at my dinner table. No exaggeration. I envy those huge homes ( I really do know one, that lives next to a Fire Department), and YES their yearly Home Insurance rate is lower than the house 20 down.

NEEEXT ! ..... my next life challenge. .. and there will me many for me personally. my disavbility(s) handed me the shittiest cards in the poker deck friends and foes. But I play cuz I am alive. Incredibly. Incredibly. Love to see my state of mind in another 25 years with these cards. Anyone here would pay for that 1 minute clip. 100%.

As fro you who have no solution, I feel for you, every time I try to get dressed and I ache like a 94 year old with major arthritis in the A.M., I do.

Peace. To the little guys.

Pain Hurts added 13 Minutes and 27 Seconds later...

And I shall stop reporting unless someone misses something .. I doubt it, you all got it covered very closely. And if / when I finally get switched. That you can bank on.

Last edited by Pain Hurts; 20-02-2012 at 23:38. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 21-02-2012, 17:28
Silver Member

Female from Canada

PH - In your last post you say "If I am the only one in my neighbourhood with the old formula I might need to invest in some heavy duty security" - how would you still have some old formula around? Are you saving up what you have now?
When (if) us chronic pain patients get an exception, it's for the OxyNeos, not the old OxyContin - Purdue has made it very clear that they are discontinuing production of those little babies - all that will be left are the crappy ONs.
So, last week we discovered that not only are they taking OCs off the market and replacing them with the shitty new ONs, but then the government drug plans weren't even going to pay for them - so we have to pay like $4 a tabfor crappy shit that doesn't do a damn thing because the oxycodone is locked up so tightly in the plastic matrix that you need to soak them in Hydrochloric acid over night to get anything from them.
Strangely, if you look at the cost of IR Oxycodone tablets, they are WAY cheaper than the ER tablets - so if the government is going to make us pay for our drugs anyway, I'm betting most people are going to switch from OxyNeo at $4 a tablet to OxyIR 20mg, which are about 26 cents a tablet (generic) or 67 cents a tablet (brand name). You get a faster hit of Oxycodone, and it costs a hell of a lot less.

As for the newspapers that are making a huge deal out of Native reserves where over 50% of the people are addicted to Oxy, just because OxyNeo isn't covered by Indian Affairs doesn't mean that these people don't have any other options and they are destined to withdrawal painfully without anyone caring about them. They still have IR oxycodone covered by IA (which is better than the Ontario Drug Plan - on it, we don't have coverage for Immediate Release Oxycodone - why they used to cover extended release but not immediate release is beyond me!) - as well as many other narcotics covered by IA - including morphine, hydromorphone, codeine, and fentanyl.
Looking at the number of people who actually have prescriptions for OxyContin on Indian Reserves, there are less than 100 people on the one reserve that's being discussed so much in the newspapers - that means the vast majority of the addicts are getting their Oxy illegally. Chances are that the cost of their Oxy is going to decrease - if what happened in the US is any indication. So, don't get your underwear all in a knot just yet Mr. News-Reporter - things aren't as terribly dire as you made them out to be. But, if your plan was to scare as many Oxycontin users into thinking that they are going to be in very severe trouble, you sure did a good job! Most of us were scared shitless (hard to do with us constipated Oxy users!) - but once the real facts came out, it turns out that the problems aren't really that bad. Yes, we're still stuck with shitty OxyNeo - but that's all - the rest is just a lot of smoke and mirrors.

Back to enjoying my last few OCs before it's too late.....

Last edited by LostControl; 21-02-2012 at 17:45.
Old 21-02-2012, 20:03
Mercury Member

Male from Canada

Thansk LContrl, that is all they did is scare people .....

As for disabled people like me, i get 3 x 80mg + a few 10mg ir's (cost mt like $45monthly for ir's) .....

You confused me, again .... darn, so to confirm, people like me ARE still gonna get NEO for another year?

As for the Ir, ill keep them coming but my doc dispises them. HATES!!!

Pain Hurts added 28 Minutes and 21 Seconds later...

sorry, but did you say the ir's ARE covered? cuz they are not.

Iv been paying for them 3 years. Just checking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostControl View Post
PH - In your last post you say "If I am the only one in my neighbourhood with the old formula I might need to invest in some heavy duty security" - how would you still have some old formula around? Are you saving up what you have now?
When (if) us chronic pain patients get an exception, it's for the OxyNeos, not the old OxyContin - Purdue has made it very clear that they are discontinuing production of those little babies - all that will be left are the crappy ONs.
So, last week we discovered that not only are they taking OCs off the market and replacing them with the shitty new ONs, but then the government drug plans weren't even going to pay for them - so we have to pay like $4 a tabfor crappy shit that doesn't do a damn thing because the oxycodone is locked up so tightly in the plastic matrix that you need to soak them in Hydrochloric acid over night to get anything from them.
Strangely, if you look at the cost of IR Oxycodone tablets, they are WAY cheaper than the ER tablets - so if the government is going to make us pay for our drugs anyway, I'm betting most people are going to switch from OxyNeo at $4 a tablet to OxyIR 20mg, which are about 26 cents a tablet (generic) or 67 cents a tablet (brand name). You get a faster hit of Oxycodone, and it costs a hell of a lot less.

As for the newspapers that are making a huge deal out of Native reserves where over 50% of the people are addicted to Oxy, just because OxyNeo isn't covered by Indian Affairs doesn't mean that these people don't have any other options and they are destined to withdrawal painfully without anyone caring about them. They still have IR oxycodone covered by IA (which is better than the Ontario Drug Plan - on it, we don't have coverage for Immediate Release Oxycodone - why they used to cover extended release but not immediate release is beyond me!) - as well as many other narcotics covered by IA - including morphine, hydromorphone, codeine, and fentanyl.
Looking at the number of people who actually have prescriptions for OxyContin on Indian Reserves, there are less than 100 people on the one reserve that's being discussed so much in the newspapers - that means the vast majority of the addicts are getting their Oxy illegally. Chances are that the cost of their Oxy is going to decrease - if what happened in the US is any indication. So, don't get your underwear all in a knot just yet Mr. News-Reporter - things aren't as terribly dire as you made them out to be. But, if your plan was to scare as many Oxycontin users into thinking that they are going to be in very severe trouble, you sure did a good job! Most of us were scared shitless (hard to do with us constipated Oxy users!) - but once the real facts came out, it turns out that the problems aren't really that bad. Yes, we're still stuck with shitty OxyNeo - but that's all - the rest is just a lot of smoke and mirrors.

Back to enjoying my last few OCs before it's too late.....
Pain Hurts added 27 Minutes and 46 Seconds later...

NOT GOOD , AT ALL.

Minutes ago I spoke to my pharmacy and my next 2 refills are in limbo .... I have got 2 weeks or so left ... but they no longer will have the OLD = CDN / Oxycontin 80mg, or any other strengths ever again, in stock. Done Feb 29th.

The owner and head pharmacist who knows me well asked me to call me Doc and ask him what he next steps are as the Government is actually FAST TRACKING (this is an understatement) , he told me, has never ever seen any such comparable change for any other drug in his 35+ yrs on the job ... and as a result of leaving so many people uneducated and informed with the current law and procedures to follow they are completely in limbo and their phones have been ringing off the hook since the stupid article I posted , the first one, in the local paper .... which reaches much of Canada too. Literally, he joked about needing to hire a temp phone operator , or 2 as the Gov is really making a super size MESS of the situation.

What will become of this all????
Will I have my meds when I need them?
Will we switch me to something else? ...... that could be tricky* (? - he said)
Will the demand for these new meds be met Country wide? Locally? etc...

Who ever said it, the bubble is about to explode.

Keep you all informed.

Last edited by Pain Hurts; 21-02-2012 at 20:03. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 21-02-2012, 20:12

Male from Canada

hate to say i told ya so.....but.....ya....So basicly your saying starting Feb 29th there will be no more OG oxy's just the OXy NEO??? cause thats what ive been saying since day 1. They will still be around on the streets for a couple months....but already shits starting to dry up...Everyone swim calls says "Shits hitting the fan"
Old 21-02-2012, 21:59
Mercury Member

Male from Canada

Bunnin T's .

Shit is going to begin hitting the fan and the consequences are gong tobe so far reaching, yet localized, if you get my drift, they may be trying to expose just how many people are currently abusing oxy w/out a RX in major cities and anticipate these people get ill soon (not get well soon), and they are then more accurate when telling the powers that be and wanted all this to occur: "listen here, based on doctors reports in this city, ...etc" , there are X amount of people , normal people who were making the system corrupt.

This is their goal. Expose, show the nay- sayers, then look good. Get a bonus for next X-mas holidays, maybe a better job ... and people like me end up in a new loop hole. Vortex, spinning in a cycle I am almost afraid to imagine today, Feb 12, 2012.

Time shall tell.
Old 21-02-2012, 22:17

Male from Canada
chronicbackpainfibroguy is an unknown quantity at this point

I am so pi$$ed at the government over this. I have been on cocktail after cocktail in an effort to treat my Fibromyalgia and nothing has worked. The Oxycontiin and Oxy IR that I take is the only thing keeping me on my feet given that on top of the Fibro I also have DDD with a disc that is constantly on top of my sciatic nerve and arthritis in my spine. I have already told my doctor that i will not switch to the new formula and will be looking to switch to something else as soon as the old formula is not available.I already have a dodgy stomach and this talk of vomiting gel and gel like stools is worrisome to say the least.

Every bit of info or statistics that the government in Canada has used to force this change is specious reasoning at best. In Ontario they claim a huge increase in deaths attributed to Oxycontin since they added it to the public coverage. Would it surprise you to know that in that increase almost 50% was a combination of cases where there was no definitive cause of death or the cause was suicide? There's no way you can blame Oxycontin in those cases. If someone wants to kill themselves they'll find a way, pills or not. In addition, and this does not speak to everyone so please no misunderstandings, the minute you hand pills that have a street value of thousands of dollars to people that are on welfare you know bloody well that a lot of that is going to be redirected to the streets. That was a huge mistake on the part of the government. There should have been severe restrictions on who could get Oxy covered on the provincial drug plans. I know it would have been a pain in the a$$ but in hindsight, if you are one of the people on the public plan who legitimately needs the meds, I'll bet that now you look back and wouldn't have minded a little bit of hassle then so you could still have them now!

This is all very messed up. Personally I don't know what I am going to do. I have been on Morphine, Dilaudid, Codeine and nothing works as well and without any negative side effects like the Oxycontin does. The Dilaudid wasn't bad but it made me sleep all the time. How the hell am I supposed to take that and work?

I can't even find the words to express how upset I am right now!
Old 22-02-2012, 00:03
Mercury Member

Male from Canada

Thank you chronicbackpain .. i know real pain!

I really was looking for someone like you who has been through the different options for long term legit real chronic pain.

I have tried all: Morphine, Dilaudid, Codeine but not for extended periods.

1. From a long term, honest perspective what is your next move.

2. And what would you suggest I tell me doc when , hopefully offers a chance to try something new??

At my 270mg per day Oxy currently, I am not certain most people fathom the equivalent dose of; Morphine, Dilaudid, Codeine required , and I already need to admit 100mg Ms Contin / Morphine made me really tired but I could live with it. 400mg would be required. Approx.

Dilaudid; tried 30mg big red pills, lasted 5 hours. So I might require more oxy ir which i have been paying for already ... 10mg. x a few ..daily... How much Dilaudid do you think would keep me going?

Codeine: tried 150mg Big Reds too, Lesser relief than the Dilaudid. Less*

Any words of wisdom sir????

Pain Hurts added 48 Minutes and 8 Seconds later...

More to come, I will just say, and parrdon any reptition but the people like me that will be assured neo for good are those ;

.... cancer patients and those in palliative care who are already prescribed OxyContin would continue to receive the drug.

So, people with lifelong , chronic conditions that required pain relief and will so for as life goes on. For once being fucked up (disabled) is a lucky thing, kind of. Kind of. I doubt anyone wants the cards I was dealt .... rest assured.

Last edited by Pain Hurts; 22-02-2012 at 00:03. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 22-02-2012, 01:25

Male from Canada

In response to Pain Hurts...

Well,

For me the future is kind of uncertain at the moment. For the next 17 weeks I am completing a run on an off label test of a drug for my Fibromyalgia. There has been some success with it in the US but it takes forever to titrate up to the effective dose because of the propensity for seriously nasty side effects. So I decided to give it a go because I was pretty much at the end of my rope having tried everything else that is available in Canada. If it was available here I would be tempted to try Savella but I'm not big on anti-depressants so maybe not.

Anyway, not to get OT.

I have asked my doc to load me up with 4 months worth of the old formula of Oxycontin before it is gone and he hasn't gotten back to me yet but he was gone from the office when I emailed him so tomorrow I will get a reply most likely.

Regardless, when I run out of the old formula I will not be taking the new one. I will most likely ask my doc for Morphine Sulphate Controlled Release and specifically ask my pharmacist for M-Eslon which is the version manufactured by Rhône-Poulenc Rorer. It's not the one I was on before and from my research it is apparently the best version for pain control and fewest side effects. I can't go back to Dilaudid because it made me seriously sleepy all the time and I lost my job where I was working short hours for large dollars so I have to find work and it will most likely not be the same sort of deal so i can't be asleep on my feet.

I will continue using the IR 20mg Oxycodone that I use for breakthrough pain. Now, when my test with the Mirapex is done I will either hopefully not need the Oxycontin/Morphine and be able to ween myself off of it and just take the IRs for my back issue. I say hopefully because my back predates my Fibro and I know it has gotten worse so I have no idea how much pain I will be in if the Mirapex wipes out the Fibro pain.

Dude, you have a pretty hefty tolerance. But my advice to you is to go the same Morphine Sulphate Controlled release and same brand if you can get it. You didn't mention if you work at all or if the Dilaudid making you really sleepy would be an issue. It is a good second choice but the instant release Dilaudid was garbage as far as I am concerned and I had no good luck with it at all. The Hydromorph Contin wasn't bad after the initial nausea reduced however it never went completely away in my case. I don't know if you ever insuflate your meds at all.Some people do it not for recreational reasons but because it gets around the nausea in some cases.If you do that completely rules out Codeine because it has a 0 Bio-availability taken that way as far as I know. I might be wrong on that but I seem to recall something about the way your body processes it that makes insufflation completely ineffective.

The next day for me is going to be nerve racking and then the next 4 months waiting to see if the Mirapex works, depending on if my doc stocks me up on the old formula or not, is going to be anxious to say the least.

I notice that you mentioned the early morning pain as well. Man that's a bit*h isn't it! That's the absolute worst part of my day. Between my back tightening up through lack of movement and the Fibro just being the Fibro mornings are horrible.It's put me in a position that I have to find work that has an afternoon schedule because I can't reliably get up in the morning, at least not on a regular basis anyway.

Anyway, I hope that was of some help to you mate. Best of luck and I'll keep you updated on how I make out. You do the same.

Cheers.

chronicbackpainfibroguy added 1 Minutes and 48 Seconds later...

Oh, I just realized that i forgot to mention what to say to your doc. In this case it's easy. The side effects from the new formula ie. vomiting gel and chronic gel like diarrhea are enough for anyone in their right mind to not want to take the stuff.Just go that route as it's the truth and that's always the best path when dealing with your doc.

Last edited by chronicbackpainfibroguy; 22-02-2012 at 01:25. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 22-02-2012, 01:51
Mercury Member

Male from Canada

Ok, so where do I begin.

I honestly don't think chronic pain patients are in any position to request any doctor to stock them up on the 'old' formula, however , in your specific case there may be a possibility and loop hole based on the new laws.... maybe, I do really hope so for your back.

I got severe roto-scoliosis and other congenital conditions (rather not say here, but congenital + very bad pain, getting dressed is a challenge on its own sometimes).. its obvious + physical , etc...

So if he simply says you will now be on the same meds as always, with the exception of Oxycontin (CDN) to >>> OxyNeo, then I will say , Thank you very much. Thats GREAT! The only issue is if the Gov wont cover me (ODSP) , and I do not work, but am trying to find p/t work for a long time with no luck..... we have a major issue. I need something that is covered. So, it seems that Morphine (MS Contin) is, as is Dilaudid (HydroMorphone) .... BUT>>>>> it seems , and my pharmacist is also absolutely 100% in limbo confused and head is spinning in circles. His words. The Gov simply has not finalized anything!! Nothing. Stuff may, and I say this = be prepared for some potential text we read this past anxiety inducing, stress crazy insane, shoot me out back behind the barn for heavens sakes, .............. text to be altered for the benefit of those legit people who truly depend on pain relief of some sort and conditions like us.

So, now I heard my Drug Plan will cover Neo for 1 year from April 1 , 2012, and also it wont as of March 1, 2012. WTFUK?????? No one knows , even the professionals are lost in limbo. Yup. Lost. confused like you & I. too bad we could not share our anxiety and sick feeling in our heads.

Insufflation: only rare occasions, but not needed. Just a way to spoil myself. The final way. Practically. No IV please*

So if you were not working and had a flexible life, would you choose dilaudid or the morph ?

Damn, at 270mg oxy or so daily what do you think the doc would suggest???

Seriously, 1 x 30mg Dilaudid = like 60-75 oxy I say, and I need 3-4 a day.

Or the Morph x 100mg at ? per day ....

My Diazepam + Clonazepam have not helped all week. Seriously, just kept me sane. But wild. This is all too much. Fukin junkies messed it all up.
Old 22-02-2012, 02:08

Male from Canada

If I didn't have to work I would probably take the Dilaudid and when I needed to snap out of it just hit my Adderal a little harder. I take Adderal for the Fibro fatigue but given my anxiety level currently I'm not taking any, lol. When I went on Dilaudid it was in an effort to reset my Oxy tolerance.I've looked at a lot of dosage conversion info and I don't know what's what with that. I had to go 1:1. I was on 20mg Oxy 3X/day at the time and I found that anything less than the same of Hydromorph Contin wasn't strong enough. That's pretty far off from what the conversion charts say.

What really sucks about all of this, ok, it all sucks, but what's in my mind right now is that i spent the last 6 months trying to get a dosage increase out of my doc after having been on the same dose for almost 2 years. I finally get the increase and then this happens.

I'll tell you what's really interesting too and sheds some more light on how hard the government is hitting doctors on this. My doc has no problem giving me my Adderall in a quantity for 3 months. So I can have all of the "Speed" that I need but not my pain meds.

I wish I could take some benzos to chill me the F out but I can't. I like them too much and don't allow myself. I have a bottle of Temazepam that I keep on hand for when I have insomnia that gets to the point where I am hallucinating but that's absolutely it.
Old 22-02-2012, 02:19
Mercury Member

Male from Canada

So how much Dilaudid would I require if taking 3 x 80mg oxy ??
From your personal experiences??? Thats covered right?

Hows do you get Adderall?
Old 22-02-2012, 02:28

Male from Canada

I have private coverage from my g/f's work so i dunno about coverage on the Ontario plan.

Whoops, I made a mistake on what I was taking for Hydromorph Contin. I was taking 12mg 3x/day when I switched from the Oxy 20mg. So that's 60% ratio to Oxy so you would need roughly 48mg 3x/day
Old 22-02-2012, 02:40
Mercury Member

Male from Canada

No chance for me, I need 30mg x 3 per day, 1 evry 6hours, they would say 8hrs.

Your thoughts on my 3 x 80mg oxy?

Pain Hurts added 6 Minutes and 5 Seconds later...

Ya, Dilaudid (search Hydromoprhone) it is all covered;

https://www.healthinfo.moh.gov.on.ca.../SearchServlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Hurts View Post

Pain Hurts added 1 Minutes and 53 Seconds later...

>>> https://www.healthinfo.moh.gov.on.ca/formulary/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pain Hurts View Post

Pain Hurts added 6 Minutes and 5 Seconds later...

Ya, Dilaudid (search Hydromoprhone) it is all covered;

https://www.healthinfo.moh.gov.on.ca.../SearchServlet

Last edited by Pain Hurts; 22-02-2012 at 02:40. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 22-02-2012, 15:06
Silver Member

Female from Canada

According to the Opioid conversion charts, 240 mg of Oxycodone (oral) is equivalent to 90 mg of Hydromorphone (which is what's in Dilaudid).
Checking with another Opioid conversion chart - it says that 240mg oxycodone is equivalent to 86.4 mg of Hydromorphone. (so pretty much the same).
So, if you're taking 3x daily, you'll need to take 30mg 3x a day.
Old 22-02-2012, 17:08

Male from Canada

What about Fentanyl Patches?? do you guys take as perscribed? or do u have some fun sometimes?? cause if i were you id try and get Fent and hydromorphone for breakthrough...im not sure if doc's do that, but wit what opiates are avialable after the oxy switch....thos are prolly your best bet. Especially if you like to have some fun from time to time, and dont just take as perscribed....Hydromorphone is a terrble pain killer orally...but IV is a different story...and fentanyl is a great pain killer, just raises your tolly pretty fast

Share this on:

Tags
drug abuse, extended release oxycodone, how to abuse oxyneo?, oxycontin, oxycontin controlled release, oxyneo