Register Tags

Notices

Old 19-01-2012, 00:03
Silver Member

Male from United States
comadose is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
first time injecting heroin, a couple questions.

Before I begin, I've been a long time reader but this is my first post (as is obvious).. That being said, I DID attempt to UTFSE but my phone is my only internet connection at the moment and it's acting funny when I try to search. As such, I apologize if my questions have been answered in previous posts but they're fairly specific.

AFOAF snorts heroin, and has been addicted for the better part of 3 years. He is considering changing his ROA for a few reasons.. His main concern is money, as he is struggling to maintain his bills when his first worry is not being sick, and he is under the impression that injecting is more "economical" (for lack of a better word) since it requires less. His tolerance is such that it would take him a half g+ to actually feel any kind of high, instead of just "not sick" (which is another appeal of injecting.. If he is addicted and using every day anyway he should at least be able to enjoy it, right..?)

He has read through heroin helper and various other sites/posts, so he has a general idea of what he's doing. He is also aware that moving to the needle is another step down, and that much harder to recover from, so please refrain from posts trying to explain that.

Now.. this friend lives in a state where he can just walk in to a pharmacy and buy needles, so today he did just that. He doesn't have anyone who can help him his first couple times, so he's learning by doing.

He's not really having trouble finding veins, but hitting them is proving to be more difficult than anticipated. His first couple attempts seemed promising, but when pulling back on the plunger to check for blood (that's called "registering"?) he got nothing but air. He is inserting at a 45 degree angle, bevel up, in the direction of the heart, and on the last attempt prior to posting he was successful. He noticed, however, at the other attempted injection sites there is a slight amount of swelling/puffiness, he ASSUMES this is normal, but would like confirmation. He would also appreciate any tips on hitting veins, though he understands that things just take practice sometimes. He doesn't like having to use the same needle for multiple attempts, as he has seen the picture of needle wear after just a few uses (but he also does not want to waste a shot)..

He is also wondering about dosage. He does anywhere from a 20 to a gram (on a lucky day) daily, and was wondering how that translates into the needle. He did a very small amount just now, to see how it went. He barely tasted it, and did not get a rush of any kind, so he is waiting a few minutes before trying more.

Also, when cooking his shot he noticed that he seemed to lose a bit of fluid (evaporation and all that) he put about 45 units into the spoon and only drew back about 30. Is this normal? Is he cooking it for too long? Is he burning away heroin or just evaporating water? What water to heroin ratio should he use?

Lastly, he knows that if using a tourniquet it should be released before pushing the shot, but is it ok to just set the needle down on his arm while removing the tie? It seems like it would move around and do more damage.. Any tips/methods?

I think that's all the questions he has for now. He appreciates any help that can be offered.
Old 19-01-2012, 02:30
Titanium Member

25 y/o Male from USA - Kentucky
Moving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond repute
Re: first time injecting heroin, a couple questions.

i don't suggest you shoot but if you're gonna anyway...

arm veins, small surface veins, don't shoot at 45 degrees, put almost flat. that's how you hit. you only hit at 45 degrees if the veins is deep.

youre veins are gonna swell, puff up after a missed hit. they get inflamed. it happens alot when you use rigs more than once, btw.

you're not getting every bit of dope out of the cotton because some stay in it and the spoon. if you want every drop, rub the cotton around the spoon and put a little, 10 U or less, on the cotton and draw up again. Else use a needleless syringe and back load into your rig.

remove the tie before you shoot. if the vein gets real fat and you shoot too fast, you'll blow the vein. also re-register once or twice while your shooting to make sure you're in the vein.

good luck, man. you need it.....

Post Quality Evaluations:
Smart, safe and measured counsell from MP.
Old 19-01-2012, 03:01
Silver Member

Male from United States
coolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPAC
Points: 2,398, Level: 7 Points: 2,398, Level: 7 Points: 2,398, Level: 7
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

as far as how much to use, id ask what your dosage for a typical line that you would do (not to get a nod but to take your sick off/make you feel better), and start with maybe 60-75 percent of that. start small and get a REALLY good feel for how your body reacts to this roa than you can start thinking about getting really nice rushes and nods. this roa is the most pleasurable but also the most dangerous.

it takes a while to get good at shooting up, most learn from another person. like moving pictures said the needle should be parallel with your arm and only angle just barely enough to enter your vein.

pick the veins in the crooks of your arm, since your a new iv user it shouldn't be too hard to find a big fresh one. you shouldn't have to stick the needle very fall at all into your arm to register, like literally just barely under the skin. after it pierces your skin you will feel it go into the vein and feel another little pinch when it goes into the vein, but for a beginning user i wouldn't think you would notice the second feeling.

i also learned on my own, the hard way. at first it was hard and took a while but after some practice youll get it down, for better or more like for worse.
Old 19-01-2012, 05:48
Silver Member

Male from United States
comadose is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Thanks for the responses guys. He appreciates your concern, but as I said he's pretty deep in already.. Makes banging not seem like as bad an option as he once thought.. But then again nobody can justify things quite like an addict, eh?

Thanks for the tips, he will try at less of an angle. He also wasn't re-registering, which in hindsight seems like a good idea, especially while he is still new at it. He just assumes in his last "successful" attempt that if it started to burn (he pushed slowly) he had probably popped out of the vein.

I'll keep you updated on his progress.
Old 19-01-2012, 20:54
Silver Member

34 y/o Male from United Kingdom
drugs_bunny is an unknown quantity at this point

PLEASE PLEASE LISTEN TO MOVING PICTURES.. bunny has just lost another friend to an overdose..mainlining not knowing the strength.. bunny was an addict and genuinely believes he is only here today cos he never chose the needle..just please think
Old 20-01-2012, 05:24
Silver Member

Male from United States
coolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPAC
Points: 2,398, Level: 7 Points: 2,398, Level: 7 Points: 2,398, Level: 7
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by drugs_bunny View Post
PLEASE PLEASE LISTEN TO MOVING PICTURES.. bunny has just lost another friend to an overdose..mainlining not knowing the strength.. bunny was an addict and genuinely believes he is only here today cos he never chose the needle..just please think
as he has said he has read much on this forum, considered the consequences, and came to a conclusion. heroin use of any sort is not safe, and is not leading to anything good, but after so long the needle is a conclusion that many end up at, for better, but more often for worse. he stated he knew the danger and still chose the needle, so as requested no one will change his mind. not to say you dont mean well, we all know you do, but you might be wasting you breath. sorry about your friend, many, myself included have experience with many close ones who have died from opiates, so sad, so tragic when a 22 year old dies for nothing. unlike some most on this site know of the dangers.
Old 20-01-2012, 21:52
Palladium Member

24 y/o Female from United States
runnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medlinerunnerupbeautyqueen must mainline Medline
Points: 4,036, Level: 9 Points: 4,036, Level: 9 Points: 4,036, Level: 9
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%

My advice would be to not use the veins on the inside of your elbow even though they are the easiest to find and hit. You're most likely to miss and mess up when you first start so imo it would be better to mess up your smaller veins first. Also when most people think of IV drug use they for some reason seem to think people only use the inside of the elbow so when you do mess up people will be much more inclined to believe that you got bit by a spider on the back of your arm instead of the inside of your elbow where all junkies shoot. Also if you're ever in an accident or something that requires and IV it will be much easier and quicker for the paramedics to hit you if you still have some big juicy veins left. I quickly used up my good veins because I learned how to hit using them. Now days I try to save whatever "for sure, easy to hit" veins I have left for emergency situations (ex: trying to hit in public places quickly, or with people banging on the bathroom door, or when I'm dope sick and can't hold the needle without shaking, etc) and when I'm alone I use that time to search for new veins.

I know it's really hard not to use the big juicy veins first but just try hitting some smaller ones first. If you're unsuccessful after a few tries then use the bigger ones. And remember to never hit the same vein in the same place more than once no matter how easy you know it will be because it will scar and very quickly become unusable.

As for track marks, when you pull the needle out of your skin quickly apply some pressure to the area like nurses do when they hold cotton or whatever on top of the entry point.

If you can't obtain a medical tourniquet the next best thing (imo) is a pair of stockings, tights, or pantyhose. If you can't get any of those try to use something that at least has a little bit of stretch to it over something with no stretch (belts, phone chargers, etc.) Make sure it's not too tight as you need to have blood flow and the quicker you can get it off the better, never leave something on for more than a minute or so.

Heroin to water ratio seems to be nothing more than personal preference. I prefer using as little water as possible because it can take me awhile to hit a vein but I'm constantly drawing up little bits of blood here and there until I do hit, so if I used a lot of water eventually I would run out of room in the rig to register blood. I've heard people say that it's easier on your veins if you use more water but I don't know if I believe this. Unless you're using a lot of water with a butterfly syringe or something, the difference between 30 units and 90 just doesn't seem like it would matter much.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Disturbingly practical advice
Old 20-01-2012, 22:17
Titanium Member

Female from United States
east_of_eden really adds to the discussion.east_of_eden really adds to the discussion.east_of_eden really adds to the discussion.east_of_eden really adds to the discussion.east_of_eden really adds to the discussion.east_of_eden really adds to the discussion.
Points: 813, Level: 4 Points: 813, Level: 4 Points: 813, Level: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by comadose View Post
He doesn't like having to use the same needle for multiple attempts, as he has seen the picture of needle wear after just a few uses (but he also does not want to waste a shot)..
this is to address the quote above, unless I'm wrong, it sounds like you're saying he is having to make multiple attempts at successfully hitting a vein and doesn't want to dull the needle or continue to use the same one .... is he aware of how to back load the shot of heroin into a new rig? this is really important to know because a new needle should be used every time, so if he is searching around for a vein and has made a few attempts but not succeeded, it's time to change syringes ....

hold the current syringe upright, needle tip facing north and slowly pull the plunger back (but not out!) when the plunger is pulled all the way back, turn the syringe upside down so the liquid goes the other direction (towards the needle) then pull the plunger out.

take a new syringe, pull the plunger out and put both syringes back to back against each other being careful to line them up perfectly so as not to lose any fluid, then let the heroin solution run from the current one to the new one. then when it's in the new syringe, put the plunger right up against the bottom of the barrel but don't push it in yet, turn it over again so the solution slides back against the top of the plunger, then slowly and carefully push the plunger up.

it has to be done this way or else he'll find he'll get a ton of air bubbles in the solution and ruin the whole thing. i'm not sure if i explained that in a way that's easy to follow but this is something he should know so that he can keep switching to a new syringe.

oh, duh, i just realized something ... i'm explaining the procedure for switching rigs when the tip of the first one gets clogged. What i originally meant to say was if it takes more than a few tries, just get a new syringe and gently squirt the heroin into the back of a new one. same thing applies here though, take the plunger out of the new one, squirt the heroin in, then just hold the plunger steadily at the base of the barrel and turn the syringe around so that the liquid moves to the bottom of the barrel, then he can slowly push the plunger up so as not to get a bunch of tiny bubbles in the barrel.

sorry for the super long post but this is something everyone usually learns the hard way, that sometimes depending on how you transfer heroin from one syringe to the other, you can get tons of little bubbles (more like a foam) that make it impossible to not lose a bunch of the heroin while trying to get the air out.

practice definitely makes perfect. be careful and remember to always re-register two or three times to make sure you're still in the vein, it's very easy to slip out and not realize until you've missed a shot.
Old 20-01-2012, 22:34
Titanium Member

25 y/o Male from USA - Kentucky
Moving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond repute

^a better way to backload is to instead of pouring the solution from on barrel to another you should simply just pull the tip out of the clogged syringe (or just draw up with a syringe that has the needle pulled out so you don't risk scraping the needle on the spoon) and then just squirt the solution from one rig into another. That way you get every drop, if you just pour, you're gonna miss some dope that's left in there plus you might spill it. One thing to be care about when you're backloading this was in not to put the solution rig all the way into the barrel of the new rig, it will create too much pressure and either shoot out the needle or shoot out the back of the barrel.

I prefer to use a needless syringe to draw up, so that I get every last drop and can add a little more water to the cotton to wash it out too. I also don't have to worry about dulling up a needle putting it in a spoon. I highly recomend backloading this way.
Old 21-01-2012, 00:21
Titanium Member

Female from United States
east_of_eden really adds to the discussion.east_of_eden really adds to the discussion.east_of_eden really adds to the discussion.east_of_eden really adds to the discussion.east_of_eden really adds to the discussion.east_of_eden really adds to the discussion.
Points: 813, Level: 4 Points: 813, Level: 4 Points: 813, Level: 4

good idea on taking the clogged needle out of the syringe. swim is just so used to switching solution from one to the other back to back since this is how she was taught. your way seems much easier though.

also, for the OP, yes it is very common for there to be puffiness, swelling around the injection site. especially when new to injecting and shaking slightly, missing a little, moving the needle around too much ... any number of things can cause trauma to the area.

ideally, the process should be quick and smoothly, so when it isn't, you'll see evidence of this. usually it isn't anything to worry about. the main thing to be concerned with is getting an abscess and if someone starts to inject (rather than snort) a drug, they should research abscesses and what to do if one develops and when to see a doctor.

Share this on:

Tags
drug, drugs, drugs-forum, first time, first time injecting, heroin, heroin forum, heroin injection, heroine, injecting, injecting heroin, injection, shoot heroin, shooting heroin, track marks