Register Tags

Notices

Old 18-01-2012, 09:59

Male from Australia
cheekyfit is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Can oral morphine be injected

I have a bottle of oral morphine hydrochloride (10mg/ml). Can this be taken IV as is or is there process to make it safer to do so?
Old 19-01-2012, 11:52
Silver Member

Male from United States
He Bangs is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1
Re: Can oral morphine be injected

Swim has a similar dilemma. I hope Swiy doesn't mind but I'm going to post a bit more info about the Oral Morphine Swim has stumbled upon in this thread, as it seems pointless to make a new thread about oral Morphine solutions.

Anyway, Swim recently stumbled upon a bottle of Lannett: Oral Morphine Solution. Concentration is 100mg per 5ml.

Swim has done some research on Swim's own (there is surprisingly little info about this preparation online), and Swim is feeling somewhat comfortable banging this stuff, but before Swim does, He wanted to get some input from others who may have some experience with this preparation, or opinions, and information about the inactive ingredients.

Inactive ingredients: anhydrous citric acid,
edetate disodium dihydrate, glycerin, methylparaben,
propylparaben, sodium benzoate,
sorbitol and purified water.

Note that this preparation contains no dyes or flavorings like many other oral Morphine preparations, aside from Sorbitol.

Anhydrous citric acid: A preservative found in many IV, and oral medications
Edetate disodium dihydrate: The active ingredient in Endrate, used in chelation therapy to remove heavy metals from the blood.
Glycerin: Present in Procalamine, a drug used to control protein balance.
Methylparaben: An antimicrobial agent used in many drugs, including IV preparations
Propylparaben: Present in Dexmethasone, Swim believes this is also an antimicrobial agent. Please correct Swimif he is worng.
Sodium Benzoate: Present in Ammonul, a drug used to help patients dispose of excess Nitrogen in the blood
Sorbitol: A sugar, which can be given IV to effect plasma insulin and glucose levels.
Purified water: It's water!

Swim is well aware of the fact that oral preparations should not be injected, so there is no need to point that out, also note that Swim always uses micron filters, but any advice, information, or corrections of the above information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Swiy, of you have a similar list of inactive ingredients for your preparation, please post it, as that is the information needed to decide if your solution is reasonably safe to shoot.

Post Quality Evaluations:
excellent contribution to the thread
Old 19-01-2012, 23:07
Silver Member

34 y/o Male from United Kingdom
drugs_bunny is an unknown quantity at this point

NO

NO

NO

NOO!!!!!

its been formulated that way partly to stop mainlining it..look at the list of ADDITIONAL things in oramorph. SWIM knows, they have been on and off it a lot..If this was mainlined I'd imagine a very nasty abcess would appear very shortly after using.. With oral suspensions more thought is taken by the manufacturers to prventing mainline injection as to the untrained naive opiate individual/user most will no doubt look at it and think "hmmm its even precooked for me, straight into the arm"

again. NO NO NO!!
Old 19-01-2012, 23:27
Gold Finger

33 y/o Female from United States
chibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPAC
Points: 2,288, Level: 7 Points: 2,288, Level: 7 Points: 2,288, Level: 7
Activity: 10.3% Activity: 10.3% Activity: 10.3%

The process needed to make an oral solution safe for injection would involve removing pretty much everything except the water and the drug, and sterilizing that solution. I'm going to guess by the very nature of this question that you're not an experienced chemist, so the answer is
NO.
Old 20-01-2012, 01:57
Silver Member

Male from United States

As the only information about the inactives found in Lannett's oral MS solution have been posted above, and all are present in other IV solutions, a risk was taken. 0.5ml of the oral MS solution was mixed with 0.5ml sterile normal saline, filtered through a 0.22um syringe filter and injected into the right Cephalic vein.

This was about two hours ago. There are no signs of inflammation at the injection site, or any indication that an abscess is beginning to form. This is no surprise since the shot was not a miss. A typical Morphine rush was felt, pins and needles, warmth, etc.

If you have the solution mentioned above, Lannett's oral Morphine Sulfate Solution, which only contains the active ingredients listed above, shooting it once will not kill you, but the long term risks are a different matter. There are many different oral morphine solutions which contain different, and/or additional inactive ingredients which could be much more harmful. Just like any drug manufactured to be taken orally, it is not in your best interest to put it into your vein.

Dangerous advice; how do you know that 'shooting it once will not kill you'?
Old 20-01-2012, 04:24
Gold Finger

33 y/o Female from United States
chibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPAC
Points: 2,288, Level: 7 Points: 2,288, Level: 7 Points: 2,288, Level: 7
Activity: 10.3% Activity: 10.3% Activity: 10.3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by He Bangs View Post
As the only information about the inactives found in Lannett's oral MS solution have been posted above, and all are present in other IV solutions, a risk was taken.
I don't think you understand the difference between excipients found in IV solutions and excipients found in oral solutions, nor what filters do and don't catch.

Look, I wrote NO in the biggest font available. I thought it was pretty easy to read, but I see I was mistaken.
Old 20-01-2012, 05:02
Titanium Member

25 y/o Male from USA - Kentucky
Moving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond repute

If you're going to shoot shit that isn't meant for shooting, go for it, but don't pretend that it's safe. It's not safe or healthy to inject anything that isn't meant to be injected. Don't get me wrong, I'm not preaching or anything, I shoot pills and have shot oral methadone and oxycodone syrup but I don't prented it's safe or try to convince anyone it's safe. Just because you did it once and nothing bad happened doesn't mean it's safe. I've never met one regular needle user that didn't have something get fucked up from shooting. Whether it was something minor like a blow vein or something life threatening like blood clots and DVTs, something always happens. When you shoot shit, especially shit that isn't meant to be shot, you're taking a big risk with your health.

excellent and frank summary of risk
Old 20-01-2012, 12:26
Silver Member

Male from United States

I'm well aware of what filters are capable of catching, and how excipients found in oral, and IV preparations work. As I said, there is nothing present in this solution that will make you drop dead, but I still wouldn't make injecting it a daily habit. None the less, thanks for your concern, and your nifty large, bold font.
Old 21-01-2012, 21:03

Male from United Kingdom
dvorak9 should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.

SWIM is prescribed Zomorph (a slow release capsule full of different sized white bits) which is morphine that is manufactured for oral use.

However, sometimes when the pain in her ulcers have been that bad, she has opened the capsules, crushed all the white bits until it is all a white powder, added citric acid and hot water, filtered it through two cigarette filters and injected it intramuscularly. The most she has done with this method is 150mg. At first, it was very painful (like a really bad dead leg), but after a few minutes the pain faded as the morphine took effect after about 5 minutes or so and was quite euphoric. Also, it lasted for about 7 hours.

However, she's also found that her tolerance for morphine has increased quite dramatically, to the extent that she's concerned that she may not be able to cope with taking it by the oral route, which is what her doctor believes she is doing.

She has tried it intraveneously (she needed a friend to find a vein, because she's not very good at that sort of thing) and the effect was really quite stunning, but she won't do it again as she believes that it is probably rather dangerous. In fact, doing it intramuscularly might be dangerous as well, but she's been doing it for a month now with absolutely no side effects, plus, she prefers the slower release of morphine into her system than the immediate effect from doing it intraveneously.

But she would appreciate any advice she can get on how to reduce her tolerance, as she isn't going to be prescribed Zomorph forever, especially when her ulcers have healed.
Old 26-01-2012, 16:37
Silver Member

34 y/o Male from United Kingdom
drugs_bunny is an unknown quantity at this point

its all been said here. the answer is NO. without sounding too smug, alot of us swimmers here are the most experienced drug users you'll find.

Just a quick question though if swiy is still unsure as to what is being said, honestly, do you think the makers of oralmorph would make this potent narcotic in an oral suspension THAT easy to be mainlined? the answer should be no. Sorry bunny doesnt want to sound rude, but in short with the amount of extra additives to this, including SUGARS (read up on what injecting sugars do to the veins) the safety of 'pining' this is bordering on insane.

have fun and be safe
Old 30-01-2012, 12:35
Silver Member

Male from United States

The entire bottle was banged over 5 days with no noted side effects, no abscesses, no redness, no swelling. No kidney or liver problems either. Swim performed an LFT, and urinalysis on day 3, both were WNL.
Old 18-02-2012, 20:01
Policy, Various & Reviews
Co-Moderator

49 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Mindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 7,113, Level: 12 Points: 7,113, Level: 12 Points: 7,113, Level: 12
Activity: 10.9% Activity: 10.9% Activity: 10.9%

Quote:
The entire bottle was banged over 5 days with no noted side effects, no abscesses, no redness, no swelling. No kidney or liver problems either. Swim performed an LFT, and urinalysis on day 3, both were WNL.
The following sums this up best:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving Pictures View Post
If you're going to shoot shit that isn't meant for shooting, go for it, but don't pretend that it's safe.

Whether it was something minor like a blow vein or something life threatening like blood clots and DVTs, something always happens. When you shoot shit, especially shit that isn't meant to be shot, you're taking a big risk with your health.
Your blood and urine analyses were OK, but that does not mean that no harm has been done, or that no harm would result from similar future use. Apart from infection, there is also the risk of occlusions or blockages in your cardiovascular system. It is not possible to rule out future complications arising from your IV use of a drug formulated for oral use. I appreciate that you are an experienced user and that you take precautions such as micron filters, however one of the functions of DF is harm reduction. Additionally, others reading this thread may not have your experience, so it does seem appropriate to state the obvious for their benefit. I'm not sure what WNL means.

Quote:
If you have the solution mentioned above, Lannett's oral Morphine Sulfate Solution, which only contains the active ingredients listed above, shooting it once will not kill you, but the long term risks are a different matter.
I strongly disagree. Apart from other dangers already discussed, there is also a high risk of overdose when injecting something as strong as 100mg MST/5ml. There is very little margin for error at this strength.

Last edited by Mindless; 18-02-2012 at 20:39. Reason: added quote

Share this on:

Tags
bad ideas, citric acid, drug, drugs, hydrochloride, inject morphine, injecting, injecting morphine, injecting morphine sulfate, injection, liquid morphine, morphine, morphine sulfate, morphine sulphate, oral morphine, shoot up, shooting morphine, zomorph