Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Cannabis
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Cannabis Use, cultivation & production of Marijuana, Hashish, Ice-o-lator & Hemp.

Old 13-01-2012, 18:31

23 y/o Female from United Kingdom
Trops4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Does smoking cough syrup have side effects?

This girl I know had no skins for smoking a joint so used some thin paper and cough syrup to hold it together (purely because it was the stickiest edible thing in the house), it was only a small joint (and mixed with tobacco), and had the same the night before, but she was really really REALLY high on both occasions. Is it the weed or could it be the cough syrup? And is it bad for you?
It was just regular cough syrup, Buttercup Syrup, but it's 2.3% ethanol.

Trops4 added 14 Minutes and 22 Seconds later...

Oh also, although the Buttercup Syrup has not expired, it has been opened for about a year and on the pack it says consume within 28 days of opening. Never had any issues with that before though (for using it as a sore throat remedy)

Last edited by Trops4; 13-01-2012 at 18:31. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 13-01-2012, 19:13
Platinum Member & Advisor

34 y/o Female from United States
Potter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 19,440, Level: 20 Points: 19,440, Level: 20 Points: 19,440, Level: 20
Activity: 68.0% Activity: 68.0% Activity: 68.0%
Re: Does smoking cough syrup have side effects?

that's not really "regular cough syrup"
Quote:
Buttercup Original Syrup contains the active ingredients per 5 ml dose: Squill liquid extract 0.0031ml Capsicum tincture 0.0025ml.

Also contains: Syrup (fructose, glucose and sucrose), ethanol (alcohol), acacia powder, acetic acid, caramel colour (E15O), strong ginger tincture, aniseed flavour, peppermint oil, sodium methyl hydroxybenzoate (E219), sodium propyl hydroxybenzoate (E217), levomenthol, saccharin, sodium, sunset yellow (E110), clove oil, carmoisine (E122), and purified water.
while I can't see why that amount would necessarily be dangerous, if there were no immediate effects, I don't ever want to hear someone doing this again, go buy some honey or make pipe out of an apple, or beer can, or pretty much anything.

I'm kind of surprised she didn't have any issues with the capsicum, that is NOT something you want to burn and inhale, neither is ginger. Probably not a significant enough amount used, but trust me, burning chili peppers is terrible.

So long story, she's fine, but next time, find something with less ingredients. Shoot lick a hard candy and use that to make a simple glue...

Hold on, what's that? Acacia powder? There's the hopeful part of me that says she had a DMT trip, but that's ridiculous, there isn't DMT in Gum Arabic, though the thought IS intriguing. Please note, I'm being pretty ridiculous in this line of thought, don't think be thinking there's DMT in this stuff, or any recreational potential.
Old 13-01-2012, 20:30

23 y/o Female from United Kingdom
Trops4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter View Post
that's not really "regular cough syrup"

while I can't see why that amount would necessarily be dangerous, if there were no immediate effects, I don't ever want to hear someone doing this again, go buy some honey or make pipe out of an apple, or beer can, or pretty much anything.

I'm kind of surprised she didn't have any issues with the capsicum, that is NOT something you want to burn and inhale, neither is ginger. Probably not a significant enough amount used, but trust me, burning chili peppers is terrible.

So long story, she's fine, but next time, find something with less ingredients. Shoot lick a hard candy and use that to make a simple glue...

Hold on, what's that? Acacia powder? There's the hopeful part of me that says she had a DMT trip, but that's ridiculous, there isn't DMT in Gum Arabic, though the thought IS intriguing. Please note, I'm being pretty ridiculous in this line of thought, don't think be thinking there's DMT in this stuff, or any recreational potential.
It was literally a sticky last resort for an appropriate adhesive, there were no recreational intentions for it. It was only after the highs she thought there could be a link. I didn't even realise people drank cough syrup for highs until I was trying to find out about this. So in this case, was it the weed? Or was it the cough syrup? And why is smoking cough syrup particularly dangerous?
(I know this comes across as a silly question but I mean specifically, smoking anything is bad for your lungs, but there are differences between what different substances can do to your body....so how bad is smoking buttercup syrup compared to smoking tobacco etc)
Old 13-01-2012, 20:44
Platinum Member & Advisor

34 y/o Female from United States
Potter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 19,440, Level: 20 Points: 19,440, Level: 20 Points: 19,440, Level: 20
Activity: 68.0% Activity: 68.0% Activity: 68.0%

no need to quote posts like that makes threads cluttered.

Particularly dangerous... well I'd say that about pretty much anything with words like "sodium propyl hydroxybenzoate" in the ingredients. Why would I suggest candy? because sugar smoke, while bad, can't be worse then the combination of what ever the above list of chemicals turns into when burned.

Simpler is probably going to be better in this sort of foolishness.

And as I said before, had that capsicum been in larger quantity, that would have SUCKED TERRIBLY. Go toss some hot sauce on a hot pan and take a wiff... shit hurts like hell.

Imagine you have to go to the ER because of a bad reaction, if you say "we inhaled some sugar smoke" a doctor will be able to deal with that pretty straight forward, but you bring this stuff in, they are going to have to do a lot more research into effects.

Does that make sense? That chemicals with big long names that aren't supposed to be smoked are probably going to be more toxic then say some sugar water, or sticky fruit juice?

It was probably the weed.
Old 14-01-2012, 10:57
Palladium Member

34 y/o Male from United Kingdom
G_nome probably knows what they are talking about.G_nome probably knows what they are talking about.G_nome probably knows what they are talking about.G_nome probably knows what they are talking about.G_nome probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 375, Level: 3 Points: 375, Level: 3 Points: 375, Level: 3
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%

Saliva's pretty sticky by itself you know. Whenever i've ran out of skins i'd always just use a thin bit of paper and stick it together with my saliva, you may be surprised how well it works. And it's gotta be better than cough syrup!
Old 14-01-2012, 11:14
Titanium Member

Female from United Kingdom
Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.Anna Thema really knows their shit.
Points: 1,985, Level: 6 Points: 1,985, Level: 6 Points: 1,985, Level: 6
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

As usual I have to agree with Potter, there are better things in a kitchen cupboard to stick your papers with.

I know the syrup youre talking about and it is just sugar in a bottle, the other ingredients are in very very small quantities, if you have inhaled burning pepper smoke, trust me, you'd know about it, scratchy, back of the throat cough, cant catch your breath. If you have asthma for example, burning pepper/spices can trigger a very nasty attack.
So better to be safe than sorry and stick (no pun intended) with some substance with a shorter list of active ingredients.

Also remember that sugar is highly flammable, I use it to start a fire if the woods being stubborn, so watch for the flare up, though in the quantities your talking about thats probably not an issue, still, nice to keep your eyebrows if you can, people look odd without them.

My guess, and its only a guess to be honest, is that you probably used more weed subconsciously than you would normally do because you didnt have any papers so the impulse would be to super load the spliff, because rolling another one would be a major hassle

EDIT dont use sugar to start a fire unless you know what youre doing. BURNING SUGAR IS DANGEROUS

Last edited by Anna Thema; 14-01-2012 at 11:32. Reason: saftey
Old 09-09-2012, 20:18

Male from United States
Russsell is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1

SWIM used to dip his joint Syrup, Promethazine with Codeine to be exact, and as SWIM has a decent tolerance for this certain type of syrup, as SWIM abused it as a child(Hey, it made SWIM feel good, had no clue, wasnt hardcore abusing it SWIM would just drink the entire bottle if he would get it at the dr for Colds/Cough/Flu or whatever SWIM had gotten it for and would mix it with Vault( what Coke made to try and beat Mountain Dew) and thought the effect was the drink combined with the syrup, since the Vault had a ton of Caffeine in it.
Anyway, off topic, smoking cough syrup isnt dangerous, its like drinking it, just killing 2 birds with one stone. However, dont do it too much, as it can become an addiction. Make it the kind of thing that you rarely do, or special occasions.
Smoke well<3

Russsell added 2 Minutes and 13 Seconds later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russsell View Post
SWIM used to dip his joint Syrup, Promethazine with Codeine to be exact, and as SWIM has a decent tolerance for this certain type of syrup, as SWIM abused it as a child(Hey, it made SWIM feel good, had no clue, wasnt hardcore abusing it SWIM would just drink the entire bottle if he would get it at the dr for Colds/Cough/Flu or whatever SWIM had gotten it for and would mix it with Vault( what Coke made to try and beat Mountain Dew) and thought the effect was the drink combined with the syrup, since the Vault had a ton of Caffeine in it.
Anyway, off topic, smoking cough syrup isnt dangerous, its like drinking it, just killing 2 birds with one stone. However, dont do it too much, as it can become an addiction. Make it the kind of thing that you rarely do, or special occasions.
Smoke well<3
I should have re read that before i posted it, but the first sentance should be" SWIM used to dip his joint papers in syrup before rolling them. and by Coke, i mean Coca Cola.

Last edited by Russsell; 09-09-2012 at 20:18. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Share this on:

Tags
cannabis, cigarettes, cough syrup, dmt, drugs-forum, dxm, marijuana, peppermint, smoking cigarettes, smoking cough syrup, weed