Register Tags

Notices

Old 12-01-2012, 14:02
Silver Member

Female from United States
AdderallAngel is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1
Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3%
Trazodone - The Best Comedown Drug for Adderall!

Have you guys ever heard of Trazodone? It is absolutely wonderous with an Adderall comedown. It's also safe - my friend's doctor has her on both! She doesn't take it every night - actually, hasn't been at all lately - but I guess she also haven't done any binges or anything recently. But, once enough hours have passed and the Addies are leaving your system and you feel completely BLAH . . . take a 50 mg of Trazodone. My friend swears by this! It's an old-school anti-depressent (SARI) that is mostly used for sleep now - It'll knock you out cold - especially if you don't take it every night, for this will build up tolerance. Also, it's an easy prescription to obtain from even your family doctor because it has a low risk of dependency.

Anyone else tried this? Thoughts?
Old 12-01-2012, 14:42
Titanium Member

32 y/o Male from USA - California
VagabondWraith is on the way upVagabondWraith is on the way upVagabondWraith is on the way upVagabondWraith is on the way up
Points: 518, Level: 3 Points: 518, Level: 3 Points: 518, Level: 3
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Trazodone - The Best Comedown Drug for Adderall!

My friend's kitty has taken Trazodone, started on 50 mg and ended up on 200 mg. It does have it's risks, however. It's in the same ballpark as other SSRI's (Prozac, Paxil, Zoloft, etc.) but has a much smaller range of potentially aggravating side-effects; as it's an SNRI (serotonin antagonist and reuptake inhibitor). It *is* a mild sedative-hypnotic, and one should be very careful about combining it with other serotonergic drugs, legal (St. John's Wort, 5HTP, L-Tryptophan, Rx SSRI's, Sumatriptan, etc.) and illegal (LSD, MDMA, etc.), as one can get serotonin syndrome (very dangerous and potentially deadly). Tolerance is built over time, and it's unwise to just stop taking it abruptly, and like most other Rx meds, should be tapered down. Outside of that, my friend's kitty doesn't have too much else to add, except it *does* help her sleep, and doesn't disturb REM or stage 5 sleep. She says good luck to whomever it may concern!

VagabondWraith added 5 Minutes and 1 Seconds later...

Sorry, correction- Trazodone *is* a SARI (serotonin antagonist and reuptake inhibitor). Goofy mistyping. Anyways, all the guidelines written still apply. Again, good luck!

Post Quality Evaluations:
Helpful & informative post

Last edited by VagabondWraith; 12-01-2012 at 14:42. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-01-2012, 15:29
Silver Member

Female from United States
AdderallAngel is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1 Points: 43, Level: 1
Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3%

Yeah, you definitely need to look out for serotonin syndrome! Glad you said that, Vage! Always be extra careful when taking more than one drug that produces serotonin.
Old 16-01-2012, 05:45
Silver Member

21 y/o Male from United States
BuddyHolly118 is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 73, Level: 1 Points: 73, Level: 1 Points: 73, Level: 1
Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7%

My little dog has used trazodone for a few adderall comedowns late at night, and he's found it to be very useful. He doesn't like to take his trazodone too often, though; He says he doesn't like the SARI side effects. He usually uses hydroxyzine, (which is pretty close, chemically, to Benadryl, as far as he knows), which he will use tonight to counter the 30mg of Adderall he ingested a couple hours ago. In his opinion, Hydroxyzine is superior to Trazodone, because it's short-acting, and works just while he sleeps. Also, it doesn't bother most other chemicals, so it's pretty safe to take with anything. He wakes up from a night of Adderall-tweaking feeling refreshed, without any ill-effects. So, a question to the OP: what side-effects, if any, have you felt from trazodone? My little dog has woken up the next morning from taking Trazodone alone for insomnia, and he felt lethargic, like he was in another world. He doesn't enjoy that feeling very much.
Old 16-01-2012, 06:48
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

30 y/o Female from United States
SoulStealer is captain of the psychonauts.SoulStealer is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 246, Level: 2 Points: 246, Level: 2 Points: 246, Level: 2
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%

Swim seems to be the only person who does not like Trazadone and that Trazadone has never helped with any kind of a certain drug comedown. When taken for sleep, even taken up to 350mg and attempted to fall asleep in the 30 minute window period, Swim would have difficulty falling asleep. When Swim finally did fall asleep (if she was lucky) she would not have deep, restful REM sleep. It absolutely impaired her REM sleep. Then SWIM would wake up with the WORST pounding headache in her life, that no med could get rid of. Also felt like she was tired, drained, and very heavy and in a fog for awhile with that awful migraine. Just is a pill to wake up with the worst hangover of your life. Swim stays far, far away from Trazadone. Guess she is the odd one out here.
Old 10-06-2012, 23:29
Banned

Male from United States
SwampFox56 should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.

Sorry for bumping an old thread.

However I recently was prescribed both Adderall XR 30 MG, and Trazadone for legimtate problems I have. I usually take my Adderall right when I get up the morning (usually around 10-12 AM) and take the Trazodone at around 9:30 pm. This does work great for the Adderall come down, but leaves you with a hangover'ish feeling the next morning.

I have also noticed that it knocks you out, but one of the things I do not like about it, is the fact that it feels like a blow to the back of your head (thus the hangover'ish feeling I'm assuming)

But even though it ready makes you feel like shit the next morning, these drugs REALLY have improved my quality of life! I have a whole bunch of diagnosed issues (depression, anxiety, sleep disorder, etc.) and I used to take Zoloft only. It really did nothing for me, and actually caused thoughts of suicide. Well my doctor thought we should try something else and after I was prescribed both of these (mainly the Adderall) I no longer feel depressed! I also have gained the motivation to starting doing things again! I was in such a bad rutt that I could barley will myself to get out of bed in the morning, but on the Adderall, I've gotten a job, I've starting doing the things I used to enjoy again, I can get up easily in the morning, and for the first time in my life I am able to easily focus on the tasks I am to to do.

Anti-drug fanatics will argue that these drugs ruin peoples lives, even if it's been prescribed to them. But I would probably not be alive today if it hadnt been for my Adderall prescription.

One thing I will admit to (that I don't perticually like) is while I'm on the Adderall, I am unable to fall asleep, at all. But the Trazodone takes care of that easily
Old 15-06-2012, 01:54

27 y/o Male from United States
Rudyak is learning how to become a psychonaut.

In rehab , they gave trazadone out like candy (maybe because all meds are 3-10x the price of meds outside of the facility ... Trazadone and Vistiril were open to anyone at bedtime for $15 a pop)

IMO it's useless , and benadryl is a better option. Trazadone is an antidepressant that can make SOME people sleep well , others (most ppl I know) find it useless and it will give you dreams you don't want to have , trust me.

1mg colozopam works great for my sleep , it's been 8 months and it works the same daily.

Trazadone is crap.
Old 15-06-2012, 03:28
Gold Member

Male from United States
staples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medlinestaples must mainline Medline
Points: 2,992, Level: 8 Points: 2,992, Level: 8 Points: 2,992, Level: 8
Activity: 8.6% Activity: 8.6% Activity: 8.6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudyak View Post
Trazadone is crap.
This has been my personal experience, as well, but it seems that when it works for someone, it really works--perhaps with some side effects, but if that's the case, they generally seem tolerable to the patient (specific cases have already been mentioned in this thread). For instance, a friend of mine claimed that if he took his dose of trazodone and didn't head to bed within 5 (!) minutes, he would be too sedated to even make it up the stairs to his bedroom. I've met several other people who have, to my surprise, only had wonderful things to say about trazodone as a sleep aid. These people, however, don't strike me as really having more than some form of mild, transient insomnia, if anything (this, of course, may or may not be true, only my best guess), and hey, if it works, great! As far as an effective psychostimulant-comedown remedy, it's hard for me to imagine trazodone would be anything but miserable, but it's also hard for me to imagine it putting someone to sleep.

For myself, it simply did not work up to 150mg, per psychiatrist's instruction; some people mention going higher than this, but when prescribed as a hypnotic, going much higher than 150mg doesn't make sense, as this is the starting dose for treating symptoms of depression or other on-label uses. Presumably this has to do with the more potent serotonergic actions of the specific metabolite, meta-Chlorophenylpiperazine (mCPP), and its potential to inhibit some of the effects of its parent molecule (Trazodone, of course), specifically its α1-adranergic antagonistic effect (almost certainly responsible for any hypnotic efficacy experienced from trazodone, but even if not, it's at least well-established that mCPP is only disruptive to sleep). Thus, at higher doses, with both the parent compound and mCPP being (farther) metabolized by many of the same enzymes almost equally with one exception where trazodone seems more competitive than mCPP, there's only reason to believe that exceeding 150mg (in an adult) will start to lessen the hypnotic efficacy, not augment it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VagabondWraith View Post
Outside of that, my friend's kitty doesn't have too much else to add, except it *does* help her sleep, and doesn't disturb REM or stage 5 sleep.
Whoa! The term "stage 5 sleep" is quite uncommon, I'm a little surprised I came across it! However, I do not think you meant to say "stage 5" because this is synonymous with REM sleep (perhaps you meant stage 4?). In any case, trazodone in fact reduces the duration of REM/stage 5 sleep, but does increase the total time spent in stage 3 and 4, with little, if any, increase in duration of stage 2 sleep (stage 2 sleep seems to positively correlate most with subjective reports of quality of sleep). This isn't terribly different from, say, zolpidem, and in my experience, trazodone only seems to be the first line of defense in insomnia when the prescribing physician suspects or knows that the patient is likely to (try to) abuse any medication that can (or even cannot effectively) be abused. Accordingly, it seems fairly unanimous (though not necessarily medically advisable) that such GABAergic options are very effective in alleviating the come-down associated with a psychostimulant. Alternatively, a change in psychostimulant may be an excellent, simpler option.
Old 15-06-2012, 04:12
Reactive Member

Male from Earth
hookedonhelping really knows their shit.hookedonhelping really knows their shit.hookedonhelping really knows their shit.hookedonhelping really knows their shit.hookedonhelping really knows their shit.hookedonhelping really knows their shit.hookedonhelping really knows their shit.hookedonhelping really knows their shit.hookedonhelping really knows their shit.hookedonhelping really knows their shit.
Points: 2,272, Level: 7 Points: 2,272, Level: 7 Points: 2,272, Level: 7
Activity: 1.8% Activity: 1.8% Activity: 1.8%

Trazadone is the answer @ the Bureau of Prisons as well as it is on their formulary chart and given out like candy. The funniest part is that it is given out twice a day, and at the weirdest hours.. You are given a dose at 6am and again at 4pm. I wrote the warden stating it was ridiculous to give out a 200mg dose at 6am to an inmate that is then made to work in a position using shop tools. Many inmates would hide their dose in their mouth. Sometimes the medic doling out the medications would crack up the pills and you would SOL for the rest of the day. Dragging your feet fighting to stay awake, sometimes losing your balance.

Weekends sucked the most for many, especially if they didn't have a visitor in town. The stashing of these was a common practice for many prescribed them and would afford the inmates a restful weekend. If you weren't working out, sleeping was the second best activity.
Old 18-06-2012, 01:00

23 y/o Male from United States
StonedShark420 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1 Points: 16, Level: 1
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

My experience with my recently prescribed trazadone dose for insomnia is simple; although I don't necessarily like the feeling of the drug, it will help me drift to sleep during a significant crash from subsequent doses of amphetamines during the day. Even when experiencing the "crashed" fatigued feeling after putting an end to continuous doses of adderall, I will still proceed to have trouble getting any sleep. Trazadone seems to do exactly what it is chemically synthesized to do, and I have no complaints.
Old 18-06-2012, 02:09
Silver Member

Male from Earth
thirdeyelasik is captain of the psychonauts.thirdeyelasik is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 271, Level: 2 Points: 271, Level: 2 Points: 271, Level: 2
Activity: 6.5% Activity: 6.5% Activity: 6.5%

SWIM have found that traz does wonders for many stimulant comedowns. While not as powerful as benzos in this regard, traz can cause much needed sleep when a stimulant just won't go away(such as addies). I prefer benzos or flexiril for this but traz does the trick as well.
Old 21-06-2012, 17:24

30 y/o Male from United States
SPEEDBABY is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 146, Level: 1 Points: 146, Level: 1 Points: 146, Level: 1
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

Yup, by far THEE hands down king of adderall friendly sleeping pills. Been using it for years. Ironically, I've found that when taken sober, its actually LESS effective in putting you to sleep then say Lunesta or Ambien, etc. For whatever reason though it blows all other sleeping pills out of the water when taken while under the influence of adderall. You don't even have to be "coming down". You could pop 100 mg of Trazodone at the peak of an adderall high and be asleep in half an hour if you needed to be. I've found that Lunesta works wonderfully as a "stabilizer"- which is to say it will bring you down to the point of feeling "sober", and if you put some effort into it you could probably fall asleep- but indeed, as you said- Trazodone is the one that will knock you out like Floyd Mayweather (May-weather you like it or not, haha). Interestingly, Trazodone (from my experience) is practically worthless if Methylphenidate (Ritalin) is the drug in question. Couldn't knock me out on Ritalin with Traz if my life depended on it. Biochemistry and Pharmacology- wish I understood it better, but fascinating nonetheless.

SPEEDBABY added 1 Minutes and 39 Seconds later...

I mean SWIM, of course, ha....where's my head at tonight?

Last edited by SPEEDBABY; 21-06-2012 at 17:24. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-07-2012, 02:31

28 y/o Male from United States
nuggs313 needs to post very carefully to avoid a ban by negative reputation.

I vote for seroquil simply because it stops the actual adderall function in the brain by stopping dopamine production and absorbtion
Old 16-10-2012, 23:19

40 y/o Male from United States
sampywamp is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1
Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4%

Works well for me too. I take 100mg of Trazodone at night with food and it knocks me out!

Share this on:

Tags
adderall, adderall comedown, aderall, amphetamine, comedown, drug, drug forums, drugs, drugs forum, drugs-forum, hydroxyzine, mdma, molly, phenibut, tolerance, trazadone, trazodone, trazodone combinations, trazodone high