Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Opiates & Opioids > Hydrocodone
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 27-12-2011, 20:35
Banned

57 y/o Male from Togo
salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.
Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1
Activity: 17.7% Activity: 17.7% Activity: 17.7%
Zohydro, new hope for hydrocodone users who want it w/o acetaminophen

Zogenix, is a pharmaceutical company that is on the verge of getting a new novel time released pure hydrocodone medication approved for marketing.

Zohydro is a time-released pure hydrocodone medication (without the acetaminophen or ibuprofen) that when approved will provide 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50 mg time released hydrocodone. The hype is bad about it, the newspapers are equating it to the new OxyContin. If anyone has ever done five Norco's, that is the max dose one can hopefully get, w/o acetaminophen which has a negative effect on the liver.

I posted more info on Some for All, because of the inaccurate facts some news organizations were reporting about it. Personally, I have Chronic Pain, but have chosen Suboxone for my pain medication. Suboxone is a non abusive drug for me, but I have been on tramadol, hydrocodone, OxyContin, methadone, MS Contin, levorphanol and Dilaudid for my chronic pain. Personally, I cannot control my abuse of these mu agonists, thus settled for Suboxone, which manages my pain and eliminates my abuse of the above and hydrocodone upsets my stomach and doesn't really help my chronic pain. But for hydrocodone users hope is on the horizon.

For persons that use hydrocodone for chronic pain in large quantities, Zohydro may be for you. To find out more information: https://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=174170

Let's hope it passes all the hype and gets on the market. The facts and panic news corps are trying to create is enormous. Just Google: Zohydro.

salgoud

Post Quality Evaluations:
Thanks for the information and the supporting link.
Really interesting. Been waiting for a pure hydro formulation.

Last edited by salgoud; 27-12-2011 at 20:51. Reason: Adding more info
Old 27-12-2011, 21:41
Silver Member

21 y/o Male from United States
AllAroundTheLight is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 182, Level: 2 Points: 182, Level: 2 Points: 182, Level: 2
Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3%
Re: Zohydro, new hope for hydrocodone users who want it w/o acetaminophen

Interesting. I recently read about this myself. I've been prescribed both percocet and vicodin before and I felt that the percocet was far more powerful for relieving pain as well as for "feeling high." Both these medications have acetaminophen but since this new drug will only have hydrocodone, much like how Oxycontin only has oxycodone, do you think it'll be safe to say that pure oxycodone will be significantly more powerful than pure hydrocodone even at lower dosage levels than hydrocodone?
(i.e. Would 20mg oxycodone be more powerful than 30mg hydrocodone?)
Old 27-12-2011, 23:59
Banned

57 y/o Male from Togo
salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.

I really wouldn't want to compare the two, but I will say these two things:

Percocet is a Schedule II and Vicodin is a Schedule III narcotic in the U.S. Thus, according to the FDA, they feel from all the studies and testimony from the DEA and other organizations have come to the conclusion that oxycodone is more preferable to addicts than hydrocodone. IMO, oxycodone does cause more euphoria than hydrocodone.

Also, just because Percocet is oxycodone mixed with acetaminophen and Vicodin is hydrocodone mixed with acetaminophen, acetaminophen does not lower the narcotic capability of either.

So if you took two Percocet 10mgs and the next day took two Vicodin 10mgs, sounds to me that you would prefer the pain relieving ability of oxycodone.

What making a time release pure hydrocodone capsule does, is take out the liver damaging acetaminophen out of the equation and will be a healthier medication, IMO. Some people will take Zohydro and take maybe two 50mg ER Zohydro a day. Say that they were using the mixed compound, Lortab 10mg/500's, that would be 10 x 500, or 5000mg of acetaminophen less a day they would be poisoning their liver with (over time). Since it is a known fact that acetaminophen damages the liver in high amounts over time, people can safely take hydrocodone without worrying about the damage acetaminophen may cause.

Personally, I don't metabolize hydrocodone very well, so on a personal note I would say I would prefer 20mg's of oxycodone to 30mg's of hydrocodone.

Some people, like a woman I know who is a very good friend takes Norco. When she recently was switched to oxycodone, she had to switch back to Norco because the oxycodone was causing her to throw up her medication. Some people are affected this way. They have sensitive stomachs and can't handle the oxycodone. Acetaminophen also causes stomach nausea if taken to excess.

The hype around it is mind boggling. So many news organizations are saying it is the next OxyContin. Before I switched to Suboxone, they had me on eight 10mg Norco's a day. I would have much rather have taken two 40mg Zohydro's a day w/o the acetaminophen. This will give doctors another tool in their opiate arsenal to combat pain for those of us afflicted with chronic, depressing, isolating pain.

The kicker will be what Schedule will they make it, a II or a III. In the past, hydrocodone, like Dicodid 5mg (pure) were classified as a Schedule II. If they classify it a Schedule III, Zogenix (ZGNX) is going to make a lot of money. But I doubt this will happen.

salgoud

Last edited by salgoud; 28-12-2011 at 00:10.
Old 28-12-2011, 02:31
Silver Member

21 y/o Male from United States
AllAroundTheLight is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 182, Level: 2 Points: 182, Level: 2 Points: 182, Level: 2
Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3% Activity: 1.3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by salgoud View Post
The hype around it is mind boggling. So many news organizations are saying it is the next OxyContin. Before I switched to Suboxone, they had me on eight 10mg Norco's a day. I would have much rather have taken two 40mg Zohydro's a day w/o the acetaminophen. This will give doctors another tool in their opiate arsenal to combat pain for those of us afflicted with chronic, depressing, isolating pain.

The kicker will be what Schedule will they make it, a II or a III. In the past, hydrocodone, like Dicodid 5mg (pure) were classified as a Schedule II. If they classify it a Schedule III, Zogenix (ZGNX) is going to make a lot of money. But I doubt this will happen.

salgoud
Yea, I was wondering about that too. It doesn't seem too logical to me that Zohydro is being labeled as the next Oxycontin because of hydrocodone's apparently diminished abuse potential. Also, vicodin isn't really abused in the same way that Oxycontin is (I wouldn't imagine anyone crushing up and shooting vicodin). So the hype surrounding it may be a bit overblown, but like you said it really does seem to be a good thing that they're making this because many people simply react differently to oxycodone and hydrocodone, and it gives people an option to have hydrocodone without dangerous amounts of acetaminophen.
What's interesting is that one almost get's the sense that they put alot of acetaminophen in hydrocodone-containing drugs in order to discourage abuse. It just doesn't make sense to have such high daily doses of acetaminophen when someone has constant chronic pain, and it would actually be detrimental to their health since they have to take so many many pills with high amounts of it in them.
And yeah, I don't see any way this drug get classified as a schedule III. But I guess those seeking to use it to get high can only hope it will.
Old 28-12-2011, 08:02
Banned

57 y/o Male from Togo

Of course remember Tussionex. It is a Schedule III and a wonderful cough syrup. It has 10mg of hydrocodone per 5ml or teaspoon and chlorpheniramine, an antihistamine (which actually adds to the high.) Then Hycodan cough syrup 5mg/5ml and some atropine to curb abuse (it never curbed abuse for me). Then Dicodid 5mg pure hydrocodone tablet made by Knoll, and was a Schedule II. All the others are Schedule III cough syrups. Tussionex was about the most amount of hydrocodone one could get, and still be a Schedule III for a long time.

I did read somewhere that the most hydrocodone and the least amount of acetaminophen when compounded into a pain medication and still be a Schedule III: would be 15mg of hydrocodone and 80mg of acetaminophen. This amount was never marketed, however it was compounded by pharmacies and is the most and least amounts prescribed by law and still be a Schedule III.

However, with that SODAS delivery system and if it is fairly tamper proof, the Scheduling may be up in the air. Zohydro is definitely going to be expensive, because it will only be available in brand name for awhile. But why they are just coming about with this now, is beyond me.

Codeine's Schedule changes also when it is sold in Codeine Sulfate form without any additives, in the U.S, to Schedule II. Codeine Sulfate for injection is a Schedule II (Howard Hughes' favorite pain killer of choice).

I believe in time, there will be codeine, DHC and hydromorphone in time released versions. Although not available in the U.S. at this time, I read long ago they had time released versions of these drugs in other Countries, or were working on them. Opana is in both I.R. and in E.R. formulations (Oxymorphone). Currently, hydromorphone can be easily extracted and abused the I.M. and I.V. route. I would think it would be less tamper proof in timed release form and I'm sure they will follow the timed release marketing strategy. Zohydro, would not be able to be extracted to an injectable form. Hydrocodone bitartrate has never been an injectable drug. People do their CWE to get the acetaminophen out, then usually take it orally and I have never heard of people injecting it, like one would OxyContin. I've heard many questions about, "Why can't hydrocodone bitartrate be injected?" I still don't know the answer to this, probably something to do with crossing the Blood Brain Barrier and must have the liver metabolize it first before it is effective (hydromorphone is one active metabolite).

I believe the doctor on Fox News this morning was somewhat misleading when he said, people will figure a way to crush it and snort it or shoot it. A lot of pre-approval propaganda to keep Zohydro off the market. I'm sure the FDA will approve it, because when you know the truth, this medication will have advantages without the liver damaging acetaminophen and 50mg of hydrocodone for a opiate tolerant person is really not that much, every 12 hours. We will see, soon.

salgoud

Last edited by salgoud; 28-12-2011 at 08:53.
Old 08-05-2012, 19:02

59 y/o Male from United States
Benzomaster is an unknown quantity at this point
Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7% Activity: 0.7%

Zohydro will be placed in Schedule II by the DEA.
Old 29-05-2012, 01:46
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from USA - Kentucky
The23Jman should review received reputation comments.

These things need to release i love tabs, but shud be way better without that worthless apap shit, until these come out ill try to stay close to the 10/325 mg tabs.

Share this on:

Tags
addiction, extended release, hydrocodone, hydrocodone bitartrate, new drugs, opiates, zohydro

» New Threads
Lets say it takes an hour for tea...
Last post by Alka_holic
18 Replies, 444 Views
Weaning off GHB
Last post by gthug
2 Replies, 73 Views
How Hard was it for you to get...
Last post by Alka_holic
22 Replies, 1,289 Views
4-MAR and Drug Testing
Last post by williejo