Register Tags

Notices

Old 21-12-2011, 05:06
Silver Member

24 y/o Male from United States
V-cat is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 75, Level: 1 Points: 75, Level: 1 Points: 75, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
The difference between adhd/add drugs. And how it affects ADHD/ADD people.

So this is broke into two parts, answering TWO separate questions.
Skip to the bottom for a Too long, didn't read. Version.

First off, the difference between ADHD / ADD, and the prescribed medicine.
I will do my best to answer these, but too do so I must explain what ADD/ADHD is.

Now the definition of ADHD is this :
“any of a range of behavioral disorders occurring primarily in children, including such symptoms as poor concentration, hyperactivity, and impulsivity.”.
Take note that it states “ANY OF A RANGE of behavioral disorderS”. Most people miss the fact that there are plural’s there. I will explain why.

ADHD is a “common” name for a range of disorders. ADD is a “sub-set” of ADHD.
When a patient is diagnosed as ADD, they are diagnosed as ADHD, then categorized under ADHD.
The reason for this is simple,
ADD has less symptoms of hyperactivity than ADHD. People with ADD are more prone to distraction, impulsiveness, and all the other troubles that ADHD people have to deal with. Yet they are not as “hyper” or AS impulsive.

Now for the second question.
*For the sake of simplicity, I will be referring to ADHD and ADD both as ADHD . *

Many people ask if people with ADHD/ADD can get “high” off of ADHD medicine or other stimulants.
Simply put, yes. BUT, a lot of the “high’s” experienced are a bit different than those people who don’t have ADHD experience.

The reasons for this is also simple.

Imagine the mind as a little Hotwheels race track.

Now your thoughts are the hot-wheel, and your brain is the hand pushing it.

A non ADHD person will push that little car around at its own pace, with a good grasp on it.

Where as an ADHD person’s thoughts are “shot out” of the start area, and fly at their own speed. The “hand” (your mind) can’t get a good grip, nor keep up with the speed of the car. Or control how it switches tracks from one place to another.

Once a stimulus is introduced, the situation is reversed.

a non ADHD person’s mind is working so fast, that the thoughts he has are going too slow for him. Since the thoughts are going too slow, the mind grabs them and forces them to speed up, thus causing the feelings of being “high” that they feel.

Now a ADHD person has the opposite affect. Their mind (the hand) speed’s up and catches their thoughts. Thus causing them too calm down and focus. Or even overly focus.
Now of course, this doesn’t mean they can’t get “high” off these drugs. It just mean’s they may have a different experience.

Now remember, these are still drugs. The way in which they stimulate the brain is different depending on the drug, and the person. just like all drugs, everyone will have different experience’s.
Some ADHD people will have one drug that works perfectly fine, and then one that they don’t have the same experience as others.
Its the same concept as to why doctors prescribe some people Adderall and some Ritalin.

Ritalin (methylphenidate) stimulates the sympathetic and central nervous system. It increases the levels of dopamine and norepinephrine in the brain. Possesses structural similarities to amphetamine and its pharmacological effects are more similar to those of cocaine.

Adderal(Amphetamine salt based.) It is thought too work by increasing the amount of dopamine and norepinephrine in between synapses in the brain. Like other stimulant prescription drugs, Adderall directly affects the mesolimbic reward pathway in the brain.

TOO LONG DIDN’T READ.
ADD is the same as ADHD without the "H" (hyperactivity).

So in conclusions, all ADHD medicine are basically stimulants (and a lot are structured/act the same way), but each is different and may affect you in different ways.

ADHD people are affected in a different way than most other people. You must find the drug that “works” for you, and try to stick with it.

For all ADHD people, feel free to PM me your experiences with *ANY* stimulant drug. I would greatly appreciate it I will possibly try to make a list of most common stimulant drugs that “work” for the most ADHD kids, and the doses they used.

Thanks for your time,
~V-cat

Post Quality Evaluations:
thank you for the ADHD/drug contribution

Share this on:

Tags
add medication, adderall, adhd, children, drug, drug forums, drugs, speed, stimulant, stimulants

» New Threads
Prescribed Klonopin 1mg 3x a...
Last post by alienhunter
2 Replies, 65 Views
10 days baby!!
Last post by Dawn Godess
7 Replies, 137 Views
Kanna and list of herbs..
Last post by Castillo1
15 Replies, 352 Views
Is LSD worth it?
Last post by Beta