Notices

Old 17-12-2011, 21:26
Silver Member

Male from United States
SkipBrutale is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 384, Level: 3 Points: 384, Level: 3 Points: 384, Level: 3
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Safe to Shoot Up For First Time Alone?

Swim has been smoking for 4 years and lately what he's getting is crap he can't nod off of he's thinking he should just bite the bullet and shoot. He doesn't have any friends that are shooting though that can help him.

Do you think it would be safe to read about how to do it and try it by yourself? Swim thinks he can probably follow the instructions and find a vein and everything but still a little worried about not having anyone with him.

Has anyone else shot up for the first time by themselves?
Old 17-12-2011, 21:48
Platinum Member & Advisor

Female from United Kingdom
missparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond reputemissparkles is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 15,418, Level: 18 Points: 15,418, Level: 18 Points: 15,418, Level: 18
Activity: 7.5% Activity: 7.5% Activity: 7.5%
Re: Safe to Shoot Up For First Time Alone?

Obviously love it's not ideal, but then using heroin is hardly conventional is it? To be totally honest a lot of people shoot up first time on their own, after all think about all of the threads we have here at DF from people asking if they're "doing it" correctly, or if not that then asking why they have a lump on their arm, or why their arm is red.

So now you're gonna IV your heroin. Firstly, do you know how to prepare the shot, have you seen anyone else do it, do you have a basic knowledge of what you need to do before you shoot up? The most important thing to remember, as you've only been smoking it you won't have much of a tolerance for IV heroin, so always start low.

Half of what you'd usually do to begin with, cuz this is where you work out just how much you need. So whatever you'd normally use for a line, try half that amount to begin with. Lastly, knowing just how much citric to use...too much and it burns like fuck, too little and the heroin won't completely dissolve (if that's the correct word). When you cook up same rule applies as with heroin, begin small and work your way up.

I found that after watching someone else prepare my shots and hit me up for months, it was still hit and miss when I had to do it for myself the very first few times. So try not to worry, you will get the hang of it. Make sure you read these threads, they'll give you a rough idea about just what you need to do.

http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28116

http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9491

Are you sure you'd rather not continue smoking it, cuz once you start IVing, there's really no turning back, or very rarely.

Sparkles.

Post Quality Evaluations:
good use of links and great straightforward advice with a good pinch of harm reduction too
Old 18-12-2011, 10:40

24 y/o Male from USA - Colorado
HitManHSam needs to post very carefully to avoid a ban by negative reputation.

Alright, if you are going to shoot up alone, swim suggests you use a "trial amount," use a little bit to see how it affects you. Second, if you do not know how to use a needle, learn. Swim noticed that missing is possibly one of the most annoying things in the world, and you will not achieve a high, and it hurts LIKE SHIT. So learn how to use the needle, and use a small amount.. should be fine.
Old 18-12-2011, 14:49
Gold Member

Female from Earth
Alicia must live here.Alicia must live here.Alicia must live here.Alicia must live here.Alicia must live here.Alicia must live here.Alicia must live here.
Points: 1,324, Level: 5 Points: 1,324, Level: 5 Points: 1,324, Level: 5
Activity: 8.9% Activity: 8.9% Activity: 8.9%

Swia would recommend starting low as street purity is unpredictable and also word of mouth essentially means nothing. Dont be surprised if your sick the first time either it would be wise to have company incase anything goes wrong. learning and how to inject and following safe needle guidelines will be essential too. Smoking is safer in many ways as you can stop suddenly with injecting its possible to od due injecting to much so inject half of a low dose and wait and see how you feel. Having a close friend with Narcan would also be wise in case anything bad happens.

excellent advice regarding narcan and to start with a low dose
Old 19-12-2011, 15:58
Silver Member

22 y/o Male from United States
fordman is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 138, Level: 1 Points: 138, Level: 1 Points: 138, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

My gut would tell you not to do it alone, But most likely you will anyway, so please do your research and start with a very low dose. Also dont have any plans for the rest of the day or day after. You're most likely gonna get sick. Be safe man
Old 19-12-2011, 18:15
Silver Member

22 y/o Female from United States
Burn.the.sky is a decent psychonaut.Burn.the.sky is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 375, Level: 3 Points: 375, Level: 3 Points: 375, Level: 3
Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9%

As unrealistic as it is, Swim stresses to all her friends never to get high alone, let alone for the first time. Shooting up heroin is never safe, unless you got someone sitting over you with Narcan in hand. Even the most experienced user can OD and die (though the chances of an everyday user ODing are far less then that of a chipper). You may be fine the first time, and the second and even the thousandth time, but somewhere down the line, chances are you're gonna have a problem.

All in all you're probably fine, but there is always the possibility of something going wrong, and if you're alone, no one can make sure you're okay in the worst case scenario.

Of course my advice is an easier said then done type of deal, but seeing as this is a harm reduction forum, I thought I'd throw my two cents in, even if I myself rarely abide by my own advice...
Old 19-12-2011, 18:25
Silver Member

33 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Insomniacsdream is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 215, Level: 2 Points: 215, Level: 2 Points: 215, Level: 2
Activity: 2.6% Activity: 2.6% Activity: 2.6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn.the.sky View Post
As unrealistic as it is, Swim stresses to all her friends never to get high alone, let alone for the first time. Shooting up heroin is never safe, unless you got someone sitting over you with Narcan in hand. Even the most experienced user can OD and die (though the chances of an everyday user ODing are far less then that of a chipper). You may be fine the first time, and the second and even the thousandth time, but somewhere down the line, chances are you're gonna have a problem.

All in all you're probably fine, but there is always the possibility of something going wrong, and if you're alone, no one can make sure you're okay in the worst case scenario.

Of course my advice is an easier said then done type of deal, but seeing as this is a harm reduction forum, I thought I'd throw my two cents in, even if I myself rarely abide by my own advice...
Agreed. Its hard to shoot up yourself first time without practise unless you have very good veins, always better to have someone around ignoring all the other very good reasons not to do so.
Old 19-12-2011, 18:30
Titanium Member

Female from USA - Texas
alienesseINspace probably knows what they are talking about.alienesseINspace probably knows what they are talking about.alienesseINspace probably knows what they are talking about.alienesseINspace probably knows what they are talking about.alienesseINspace probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 1,123, Level: 5 Points: 1,123, Level: 5 Points: 1,123, Level: 5

Keep your phone near by and have 9-1-1 (if in the US) programmed in with a one touch dial. If you go it alone and feel AT ALL like you can't breath properly, get pain in the chest... anything indicating OD symptoms, PLEASE call for help.

That's my 1.5 cents.
Old 19-12-2011, 18:43
Silver Member

Burn.the.sky is a decent psychonaut.Burn.the.sky is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 375, Level: 3 Points: 375, Level: 3 Points: 375, Level: 3
Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienesseINspace View Post
Keep your phone near by and have 9-1-1 (if in the US) programmed in with a one touch dial. If you go it alone and feel AT ALL like you can't breath properly, get pain in the chest... anything indicating OD symptoms, PLEASE call for help.

That's my 1.5 cents.
Most of the time, when you OD, you don't have time to notice what's going on, least of all to call 911. Swim has OD'd twice, and all she remembers was pushing down the plunger, pulling out the rig, capping it in one instance, and the next thing she knows, a friend is shaking her and she's feeling very, very sick (Getting Narcaned is NOT pleasant!) Hence why she keeps telling everyone its never safe to boot alone.
Old 19-12-2011, 18:47
Titanium Member

Female from USA - Texas
alienesseINspace probably knows what they are talking about.alienesseINspace probably knows what they are talking about.alienesseINspace probably knows what they are talking about.alienesseINspace probably knows what they are talking about.alienesseINspace probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 1,123, Level: 5 Points: 1,123, Level: 5 Points: 1,123, Level: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burn.the.sky View Post
Most of the time, when you OD, you don't have time to notice what's going on, least of all to call 911. Swim has OD'd twice, and all she remembers was pushing down the plunger, pulling out the rig, capping it in one instance, and the next thing she knows, a friend is shaking her and she's feeling very, very sick (Getting Narcaned is NOT pleasant!) Hence why she keeps telling everyone its never safe to boot alone.
Oh, I totally agree. I have never used that ROA before and am not inclined to at this point of my life. I would prefer to tell someone "NEVER DO IT ALONE," but the nature of a person is to do what they want to do anyway. I was at least thinking... make sure there's a plan to get help if someone has the time to react.

I am sorry SWIY has gone through it
Old 19-12-2011, 18:55
Palladium Member

33 y/o Male from United States
trdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumtrdofbeingtrd is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 7,536, Level: 12 Points: 7,536, Level: 12 Points: 7,536, Level: 12
Activity: 3.4% Activity: 3.4% Activity: 3.4%

If you haven't made the jump yet, I would advise you to read all the safety stuff you can (this page had good replies in regards to safety) but before that, read all you can about people who have shot up. Read how their life was before they shot up for the first time, and where they are now. If you haven't made the jump, there is still time to step back from the edge and never chance it to start with. This isn't ice cream that you are talking about, as said already, it's rare people stop once they shoot up.

wonderfully said. hopefully the OP will reconsider
Old 22-12-2011, 04:46
Titanium Member

Holly021255 probably knows what they are talking about.Holly021255 probably knows what they are talking about.Holly021255 probably knows what they are talking about.Holly021255 probably knows what they are talking about.Holly021255 probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 1,768, Level: 6 Points: 1,768, Level: 6 Points: 1,768, Level: 6
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

Like everyone else said, it's not really ideal, but it happens. When SWIH did heroin for the first time, she had a friend shoot her up with a miniscule amount in the back of an alley, and it was such a small shot that SWIH didn't even feel it, so she went home right away, and shot up 2 more times that night when she was all alone (it took her a good 45 minutes to find a vein, though!)

If you do end up IVing alone, just do tiny, tiny amounts and DO NOT worry about getting a rush-if you're too focused on getting a rush and nodding out right away, not only are you more likely to OD, but your initial tolerance will be unusually high for a first time user, and you do not want a large tolerance.

Although it is dangerous in many respects, SWIH is glad that she started IVing alone for a couple of reasons. Because SWIH's only had someone else shoot her up 2-3 times in her entire life, she got the hang of registering/injecting really fast, and could do it within a couple minutes after the first few days. Also, so many of SWIH's friends had someone else mix their shot for them, and in SWIH's opinion, these shots are usually unnecessarily strong for a first-time IVer, because overdosing isn't as big of a concern (especially when Narcan is present, which it always is). SWIH's friends that started out using in this way do MUCH larger shots than SWIH does, as her tolerance is so much lower, and she's maintained a consistently low tolerance for a long time.
Old 23-12-2011, 07:27
Silver Member

Male from United States
SkipBrutale is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 384, Level: 3 Points: 384, Level: 3 Points: 384, Level: 3

Thanks for all the input guys I appreciate it. Just so you know Swim still hasn't shot up. He'd been clean for about a week and thought he could get needles from this couple he knows but turned out they wouldn't give him anyway.

Swim doesn't have the guts to go into a Walgreens and ask for insulin needles haha. Swim thinks he will wait until he meets someone with needles that can help him. In the meantime he'll just keep smoking and hopefully be clean more than not.
Old 23-12-2011, 21:38
Silver Member

35 y/o Male from United Kingdom
HaZie is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 112, Level: 1 Points: 112, Level: 1 Points: 112, Level: 1
Activity: 4.9% Activity: 4.9% Activity: 4.9%

If you have never shot up before then, take it from me, I wouldn't go down that route if you don't have to. It may start as "just one hit" to try it but thats what most of us said and it's extremely easy to fall in to regular injecting. The health risks are huge compared to smoking it. After years or injecting, I've got lumps, bumps and scars where there used to be veins. My circulation is shot and have had several bouts of cellulitis and a DVT (which is still causing problems 5 years later) plus numerous other problems. When I first began injecting I remember my blood was bright red, after a few years it just looked like black sludge. One of the most vivid problems was a huge numb patch on my arm that lasted about two years before I could feel anything there. A Doctor said I had damaged the nerves.
The problems I have when I need a blood test is terrible, I usually have to do it myself. I can only imagine what would happen should I be in an accident at some point and need an IV. The other major downside from a medical viewpoint is that the doctors view of you changes noticeably when they see track marks everywhere. Years from now you might not even still be using drugs, but those tracks will colour peoples opinions of you forever.

But if you are committed then as others have said previously, read as much about safe injecting techniques as you can. Please, if you can help it have an experienced user with you - you may have to sort them a hit but it will be worth it if anything bad should happen. I'm not just talking about OD but would you know what to do if you hit an artery or a nerve?

I commend you for asking for help and opinions before shooting up for the first time but really think if it's the right thing for you to do!

spot on harm reduction advice and great personal experience - well done

Last edited by HaZie; 23-12-2011 at 21:55. Reason: needed to make my point a little clearer and correct a typo

Share this on:

Tags
analgesic, diacetylmorphine, diamorphine, dope, drugs, drugs forum, first time injecting, heroin, how to cook, injecting, iv heroin, narcan, opioid, shoot up, shooting heroin, shooting up, tolerance