Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Opiates & Opioids
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Opiates & Opioids Opiates & Opioids.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:11
Silver Member

22 y/o Male from United States
DivergeUnify is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 91, Level: 1 Points: 91, Level: 1 Points: 91, Level: 1
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%
Tramadol + Adderall safety, big migraine

Basically I have a big migraine right now and I took adderall around 2pm and its 11pm right now. Can't take migraine anymore, is it okay to take tramadol at this time, or because of taking adderall would it cancel out/mess with the painkilling effects?
Old 05-12-2011, 04:51
Gold Member

32 y/o Male from USA - New York
helikophis really knows their shit.helikophis really knows their shit.helikophis really knows their shit.helikophis really knows their shit.helikophis really knows their shit.helikophis really knows their shit.helikophis really knows their shit.helikophis really knows their shit.
Points: 1,992, Level: 6 Points: 1,992, Level: 6 Points: 1,992, Level: 6
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Tramadol + Adderall safety, big migraine

I've heard this combination highly recommended for recreational use. Seems not to have caused any problems with people regularly combining them. I don't think there's any particular reason to avoid it, provided the dosages aren't outrageously high. The amphetamine shouldn't really have any effect on the painkilling properties of the tramadol. Personally I don't think tramadol is an especially good painkiller, and would suggest trying aspirin or naproxen instead of wasting fun time drugs on a headache. YMMV of course - always be careful taking medical advice from strangers on the Internet!
Old 05-12-2011, 05:22
Banned

49 y/o Male from United States
DrJoeyMDPhD needs to post very carefully to avoid a ban by negative reputation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivergeUnify View Post
Basically I have a big migraine right now and I took adderall around 2pm and its 11pm right now. Can't take migraine anymore, is it okay to take tramadol at this time, or because of taking adderall would it cancel out/mess with the painkilling effects?
DO NOT mix Ultram and Adderall. I'm not going to waste time and space explaining how Ultram is practically unique among opiates in view of its relationship to serotonin.

Dexedrine doesn't affect my migraine and migraine-variant headaches that much, but as a migraine trigger as well as a direct cause of migraine and vascular headaches, amphetamines are pretty high on the list. Idon't write for pain meds all that often, except when I'm actually treating the migraine by treating the patient. I don't prescribe Ultram (tramadol). for my patients, but have written a few scripts for neighbors with migraine who do not take any other treatment other than Prochlorperazine (Compazine 10mg(

Dr. Joe

Old 05-12-2011, 05:46
Policy, Various & Reviews
Co-Moderator

49 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Mindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 7,113, Level: 12 Points: 7,113, Level: 12 Points: 7,113, Level: 12
Activity: 10.9% Activity: 10.9% Activity: 10.9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoeyMDPhD View Post
DO NOT mix Ultram and Adderall. I'm not going to waste time and space explaining how Ultram is practically unique among opiates in view of its relationship to serotonin.
Are you referring to the effect of both tramadol and amphetamine plus dextroamphetamine on the fit threshold? There would be an increased risk of seizures. Or is it that effect of both amphetamine plus dextroamphetamine and tramadol on serotonin levels. Is there also a increased risk of serotonin toxicity? I believe that the two drugs are not definitely contra-indicated, although it would be wise to monitor anyone taking these in combination. I don't find tramadol effective when taken for migraines, I take acetaminophen. The only thing that really helps is vomiting, after which the pain subsides greatly. I wonder if this relief is associated with the surge in 5-HT release that triggers the vomit?

It would not be a waste of time to explain tramadol's unique position. It would be a very interesting read, please give it a go. You'd be surprised how many of us enjoy posts with a good scientific basis.

Last edited by Mindless; 05-12-2011 at 06:16.
Old 05-12-2011, 15:11
Silver Member

22 y/o Male from United States
DivergeUnify is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 91, Level: 1 Points: 91, Level: 1 Points: 91, Level: 1
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJoeyMDPhD View Post

Dexedrine doesn't affect my migraine and migraine-variant headaches that much, but as a migraine trigger as well as a direct cause of migraine and vascular headaches, amphetamines are pretty high on the list. Idon't write for pain meds all that often, except when I'm actually treating the migraine by treating the patient. I don't prescribe Ultram (tramadol). for my patients, but have written a few scripts for neighbors with migraine who do not take any other treatment other than Prochlorperazine (Compazine 10mg(

Dr. Joe

Okay thanks, ended up just falling asleep a few hours later haha.

On the side have you heard of tramadol being prescribed for migraines? A friend of mine went to the hospital for a migraine and the dr. prescribed her them, and she gave them to me for when I had one. They worked very well( had I think 375mg of acetaminophen)

DivergeUnify added 1 Minutes and 5 Seconds later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by helikophis View Post
I've heard this combination highly recommended for recreational use. Seems not to have caused any problems with people regularly combining them. I don't think there's any particular reason to avoid it, provided the dosages aren't outrageously high. The amphetamine shouldn't really have any effect on the painkilling properties of the tramadol. Personally I don't think tramadol is an especially good painkiller, and would suggest trying aspirin or naproxen instead of wasting fun time drugs on a headache. YMMV of course - always be careful taking medical advice from strangers on the Internet!
Eh, Trams don't really give me too much fun time so I only keep what I have around for really bad headaches

Last edited by DivergeUnify; 05-12-2011 at 15:11. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 14-12-2011, 20:35
Banned

49 y/o Male from United States
DrJoeyMDPhD needs to post very carefully to avoid a ban by negative reputation.

Until ca. 1970, SKF marketed a product for migraines, colds,, etc., called DAPRISAL: Dexedrine 5mg/Amytal (amobarbital) 32mg (gr. iss) and damned if the combo didn't work , even solo at first on my high school migraines. Brief honeymoon. Soon I needed FWC #3 to go along with it. Codeine made its appearance in such a combo in SKF's EDRISAL #1 (1/4 gr) and EDRISAL #2 (1 grain of codeine).

People in pain feel better when their's moods are perked up a bit. The "magic combination" of DEXEDRINE 5mg/AMOBARBITAL (Amytal) 32mg worked as NO OTHER sedative-stimuklant or amphetamine-barbiturate ever has. Patients felt great and, from what my Dad (Internist) and my partner (who just turned 75) agreed that it was a god drug. (Whereas, I could be writhing in pain before I got a Tylenol #4 script from him.

PS: Hydrocodone WAS around and available for years, if not decades, before it became the successor to Tylenol #3 or #4 as the first narcotic a doc will write for a pain in pain.

DrJoeyMDPhD added 17 Minutes and 35 Seconds later...

There's also the whole issue of serotonin levels caused by Ultram's unique properties that caused the PM guys to refer to it as initially an analgesic and later — after much prodding from the medical community — an OPOID. For a patient with a few migraine headaches every year (we're assuming typtans aren't the DOC and that can be the case for many reasons; I have a cardiac history, so Imitrex and Zomig MIGHT cause a heart attack).Ultram doesn't work all that well in the amount present in Ultracet. I'd write for 50-100mg with aspirin, an ANSAID or APAP. Again, short-lived pain can be treated with Ultram. Generally, brighter practitioners of my circle of acquaintances write for Tylenol #3 or Vicodin 5/325 (by now it should be 325mg). Giving high dose Ultram therapy is NOT a good thing to do. Benefits:Adverse Reaction profile is topo unbalanced. It's really a drug we didn't need. WE lived without it since the early '70s, when it was released in Europe, until 1998. Its popularity stems largely from its (in all but two or three states) non-Controlled Substance status and all the convenience that implies.

DrJoeyMDPhD added 5 Minutes and 19 Seconds later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivergeUnify View Post
Okay thanks, ended up just falling asleep a few hours later haha.

On the side have you heard of tramadol being prescribed for migraines? A friend of mine went to the hospital for a migraine and the dr. prescribed her them, and she gave them to me for when I had one. They worked very well( had I think 375mg of acetaminophen)

DivergeUnify added 1 Minutes and 5 Seconds later...

Eh, Trams don't really give me too much fun time so I only keep what I have around for really bad headaches
N.B . ANY analgesic, absent those to which the patient is allergic, generally can be used to treat ANY type of pain — migraine included. I'm glad you're friend got relief from Ultracet, but there really isn't enough tramadol there to make more than a slight difference. Ultram tends to be hard on the stomach and many migraineurs experience nausea and vomiting. I simply don't prescribe worthless and potentially hazardous drugs where the benefit does not outweigh the risk.

DrJoeyMDPhD added 4 Minutes and 43 Seconds later...

Adderall and all amphetamine-like drugs can cause headache, both Migraine and otherwise. Assuming you don't get headaches every day -- and you undoubtedly need Adderall every day, have a talk with your doctor.

Explain your situation. Most of us listen. Ask if you can have a Hydrocodone-APAP product. You can get from 5mg to 10my of hydrocodone in variations of Lorcet, Vicodin, etc. Another idea that just hit me is that perhaps you both could kill two birds with once stone, as it were, in Fiorinal with Codeine 30mg and Fioricet with Codeine 30mg. Fioricet has the APAP. They both are Schedule II Controlled Substances.

Dr J

Last edited by DrJoeyMDPhD; 14-12-2011 at 20:35. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Share this on:

Tags
acetaminophen, adderall, amphetamine, analgesic, apap, aspirin, codeine, dexedrine, drugs, hydrocodone, narcotic, opiate, opiates, opioid, serotonin, space e, tramadol, tylenol, ultram