Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Downers and sleeping pills > Benzodiazepines
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Benzodiazepines All about benzodiazepines (downers)

Old 04-12-2011, 06:04
Silver Member

Male from United States
metalupyour455 is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 261, Level: 2 Points: 261, Level: 2 Points: 261, Level: 2
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%
Xanax and Klonopin, same results in a unrinalysis?

SWIM is beginning a court appointed program in which he will be drug tested randomly, probably by urine sample. SWIM has been extremely overstressed due to other factors in his life such as family problems, anxiety of his future, etc. and drastically increased his klonopin (prescribed) dosage and then ran out before a refill is possible. SWIM was using at most 6-8 mg a day for about a week and is now experiencing terrible withdrawal symptoms, seemingly dysphoria. How long will these symptoms persist?? SWIM bought 10 xanax bars just to get through the withdrawal period so he can properly study for tests (too much anxiety makes it impossible to study for him). SWIM has never experienced benzodiazepine withdrawal before. SWIM will probably be tested by the end of this week, will Xanax (not prescribed) and Klonopin (prescribed) come out the same in a urinalysis?
Old 04-12-2011, 07:11
Banned

57 y/o Male from Togo
salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.
Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1
Activity: 17.7% Activity: 17.7% Activity: 17.7%
Re: Xanax and Klonopin, same results in a unrinalysis?

Withdrawals from benzodiazepines is one of the worst w/d I can think of. I've been on Xanax and Temazepam for the last 7 years. The first 3 1/2 years I couldn't control my use, and would black out and end up somewhere I didn't want to be.

After two-four weeks, benzo's lose their effectiveness as far as being able to reach a nice state of euphoria.

It has been told to me that Clonazepam does not come back positive for benzo's, even though it definitely is one. I got pulled over and have to drop a piss for a possible DUID, and I did. They test was negative for benzodiazepines (I had taken around 10 2mg clonazepam that day) however, I came up positive for acetylcodeine a dead give away one has done heroin. This was done by a blood test and the Hospital.

Make sure you never run out or taper off them very slowly. When I come off them, I know I'm in for a terrible ride on the "Hellbound Train" If you can avoid getting addicted to benzo's I would suggest passing them up. They dictate how you act around others and you forget what being normal is.

salgoud
Old 05-12-2011, 03:51
Silver Member

Male from United States
metalupyour455 is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 261, Level: 2 Points: 261, Level: 2 Points: 261, Level: 2
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Interesting read, thats very peculiar that klonopin wouldn't come up positive in benzos, xanax for sure does. But when its excreted in urine, does it just come out as a non-descript benzodiazepine or can they tell its xanax specifically?
Old 05-12-2011, 04:51
Silver Member

Male from United States
coolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPAC
Points: 2,390, Level: 7 Points: 2,390, Level: 7 Points: 2,390, Level: 7
Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalupyour455 View Post
Interesting read, thats very peculiar that klonopin wouldn't come up positive in benzos, xanax for sure does. But when its excreted in urine, does it just come out as a non-descript benzodiazepine or can they tell its xanax specifically?
i know that klonapin produces a different metabolite than other benzos, which from what i have read and been led to believe most produce the same metabolite (valium, xanax, ativan for example but i dont know for sure). when you are tested for drugs the urinalysis tests for specific metabolites which your body produces (mainly your liver) to break down whatever drug you consumed.

i am on methadone and our tests go to a lab and undergo the standard "benzo" screen which i assume would detect most common benzo's but my klonapin does not show up on them. after my first urine test my counselor said it was clean and i responded "aside from the methadone and klonapin i assume?" and he said the klonapin did not show up in it. after a little more research i found that klonapin requires a different test because your body produces a different metabolite for it.

i am not sure if xanax is a special case as well, but i would think not because it is "hip" on the RX drug use scene. i do not know this for sure, but i would guess so.

the next thing i would wonder is if the person doing the testing would also be aware of this information, you could say well im prescribed to a benzo, show them the bottle, and see if they buy it. i wouldn't say klonapin, i would just say its some word that ends a "azepam" ill bring the bottle in.

benzo withdrawal is no joke at all and can lead to seizures and death. that really is a pretty large dose of klonapin to be consuming and if i were you i would not risk going cold turkey. failing a drug test or a university exam is not going to be that big of a deal in the long run if you detox hard and have seizures and possibly die. you may want to check into detox, or risk a possible positive test and taper down by using the xanax. i would rather fail my first drug test than possibly die. the safest thing would be to check into detox.
Old 05-12-2011, 16:39
Banned

57 y/o Male from Togo
salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.

The people I heard that Klonopin doesn't come back +benzo, was when I was on the methadone clinic. At first I thought they must be mistaken, however, when my blood was tested that unfortunate day, I was surprised it only came back acetylcodeine.

It appears that most benzo's, except clonazepam come back +benzo's on an initial screen. I think you are right about the metabolite of clonazepam not being picked up on the general benzodiazepine screen.

I tested UA's for a living in a toxicology lab in Denver, however we used the EMIT for the initial screen, anything positive would then be screened by FIA. Then it would either go to the GC/MS or the Column Chromatography section. Then the GC/MS would be used for certain positives, and the rest were sent to be developed on Alumina Silica plates for spraying, and the standard spotted on the plate were compared to the suspected positive. Length of travel, color and size were compared to the standard. So if the initial EMIT (this was 1989) didn't pick up on clonazepam the UA would be called negative and would not proceed for further confirmation. (Sorry about using abbreviations, it's not necessary to know the technology behind the modality used, just that three modalities were used and they had to be positive on all three to call a UA positive, where I worked.)

So my question to Metalupyour455 would be: "Have your UA's been coming back positive on the benzodiazepine screen for benzo's, or have they just been saying: Your UA is negative?" If so, and you took alprazolam, it will come back positive for benzodiazepines. Unless they further test the sample (which they normally don't) there is no way to distinguish between the two. Somewhat like a barbiturate screen. So, I wouldn't worry about it. They probably have finally figured why clonazepam did not (in the past) come back positive for benzo's. They usually use one screening technique that tests both specific and groups of chemicals. For example, THC, cocaine, PCP, methaqualone, methamphetamine/amphetamine, methadone are specific drugs and opiates (natural, semi-synthetic and not purely synthetic), barbiturates, benzodiazepines are tested in group method. Thus, if one took a Vicodin or a Percocet, the initial screen would come up positive for opiates not hydrocodone or oxycodone. This requires further advanced technology. Usually, further testing only happens when one contests a positive result which they believe should be negative. So, are your UA's coming back positive for benzo's when only taking Klonopin? because it will come up positive after taking Xanax bars, but only for benzo's not for specifically Xanax. Then show them your script of Klonopin, all should be fine.

salgoud

Last edited by salgoud; 05-12-2011 at 17:22.
Old 05-12-2011, 18:02

Male from United States
kevinb529 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1 Points: 14, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Clonazepam usually doesn't show up in a urine test for benzo's because most benzo tests measure a metabolite called desmethyldiazepam. This metabolite is active and produced by most benzodiazepines EXCEPT clonazepam, alprazolam, lorazepam, and triazolam. Usually if there is a question about benzo use, the lab will do a gas chromotography test to see if there is any lorazepam, alprazolam, clonazepam, or triazolam present.
Old 05-12-2011, 19:57
Banned

57 y/o Male from Togo

I also have read that clonazepam metabolites are very unstable in biological fluids, and sodium fluoride should be added as a preservative, and stored at the lowest possible temperature, frozen. The metabolite, 7-Aminoclonazepam, in UA's, if not stored correctly will quickly decompose. This may also be a factor, when UA samples are sent to a certified laboratory when the UA is not frozen. We froze all positives for at least 30 days until we knew which UA's would be challenged and which one's would not. The challenged UA's would be frozen until the matter was closed.

In regard to kevinb529 post: I currently go to my Suboxone doctor every two months and give a UA and get my script. I take alprazolam and temazepam and my test always are positive for benzodiazepines and buprenorphine. Neither metabolizes to desmethyldiazepam. My doctor analyzes my UA on site on a 10 or 12 panel test which produces a horizontal line if positive and no line if negative. Alprazolam, clonazepam, lorazepam usually come up positive for benzo's on a on site test, in my experience. I believe the makers of on site UA testing devices test for more metabolites that desmethyldiazepam. However, when you surf the web for answers, there are many questions about people asking why their UA came up negative while taking clonazepam. Then they would say: "It is a benzo, isn't it?" The answers are always the same, yes a UA will come back positive for benzodiazepines if taking clonazepam, but because of my personal experience this is not always the case.

The answer to metalupyour455 question can really only be answered if we knew if the sample was tested on site or sent to a certified laboratory and is important to note that many certified laboratories do what they must do to become certified, but after those criteria are met the name of the game is profit. Some report the exact drug taken, some report positive for opiates, benzo's, or barb's. If they do not have to do a complete confirmation, they won't. Where I live, probationer's UA's are sent to a lab in California. If a complete confirmation was done every time, probationer's would not be able to afford to pay to get their UA.

salgoud

Last edited by salgoud; 05-12-2011 at 21:20.

Share this on:

Tags
alprazolam, anxiolytic, benzo, benzodiazepine, benzodiazepines, benzos, clonazepam, come up, detox, downer, drug, drug test, hypnotic, klonopin, methadone, muscle relaxant, sedative, urine test, withdrawal, xanax