Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Cannabis > Cannabis & Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Cannabis & Health Health risks, anxiety from cannabis use.

Old 02-12-2011, 18:49
Silver Member

28 y/o Male from Korea, South
e_choco_o is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 228, Level: 2 Points: 228, Level: 2 Points: 228, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
How much does cannabis lower blood pressure by?

Is there any scientific literature on the effects of cannabis on blood pressure? I haven't found any... It seems to be dose dependent and some say it increases it at first and then leaves it lowered for a while, is there any modulation on this effect? It seems logical there would be cause if there wasn't death from low blood pressure would occur at very high doses right? so is the lowered blood pressure only a result of vasodilation?
Old 11-12-2011, 18:02

21 y/o Male from United States
Cannabis_Man should review received reputation comments.
Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%
Re: How much does cannabis lower blood pressure by?

Quote:
According to the NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES, the effects of marijuana on blood pressure are complex, depending on dose, administration, and posture.1 Marijuana often produces a temporary, "moderate" increase in blood pressure immediately after ingestion; however, heavy chronic doses may slightly depress blood pressure instead. One common reaction is to cause decreased blood pressure while standing and increased blood pressure while lying down, causing people to faint if they stand up too quickly. There is no evidence that pot use causes persisting hypertension or heart disease; some users even claim that it helps them control hypertension by reducing stress.
One thing THC does do is to increase pulse rates for about an hour. This is not generally harmful, since exercise does the same thing, but it may cause problems to people with pre-existing heart disease. Chronic users may develop a tolerance to this and other cardiovascular reactions.
Footnote
1. NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES Report, pp. 66-67.
I couldn't find the source they cited (mainly because the citation format sucks...), but this article talks about the effects of cannabis on blood pressure.

Quote:
A marijuana-like substance that occurs naturally in the body may play a significant role in lowering blood pressure, according to research published in the new issue of Nature Medicine.
Researchers at the National Institute of Alcoholism and Alcohol Abuse report that the endogenous cannabinoid known as anandamide acts on the blood vessel walls to cause dilation and allow blood to flow more freely. In animal studies, scientists found an association between rats with elevated levels of anandamide and low blood pressure. Researchers raised blood pressure in test subjects by blocking the effects of anandamide.
Scientists said that the findings may offer new approaches for treating patients with advanced cirrhosis, who often suffer from high blood pressure and ruptured blood vessels.
"This preliminary research indicates that marijuana and cannabinoids may someday play a role in the treatment of a range of cardiovascular diseases," NORML Executive Director R. Keith Stroup said.
Currently, between 10 and 20 percent of Americans suffer from hypertension.
For more information, please contact either Keith Stroup or Paul Armentano of NORML at (202) 483-5500.
This one goes a little deeper into how it may lower blood pressure. Specifically, it says that a naturally occurring cannabinoid may play a role in vasodilation.

Both are from NORML.

Sorry, but that's all I could find. I'm going to keep looking, but I've researched the effects of cannabis on blood pressure before and these are the only two pages I found particularly useful.
Old 11-12-2011, 23:01
Silver Member

28 y/o Male from Korea, South
e_choco_o is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 228, Level: 2 Points: 228, Level: 2 Points: 228, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

ABsolute gold, thanks man! It's sort of what I got after some research, isn't it odd there is no measured tests? It may be down the complexity of the effect, but I don't see why no one has ever tested readings after a a common dose, standing and/or laying down against placebo...? ...maybe we could tell people to do it here and make a poll or something? It'd be interesting!
Old 11-12-2011, 23:33

21 y/o Male from United States
Cannabis_Man should review received reputation comments.
Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1 Points: 78, Level: 1
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%

If you appreciate it, could you please rate my post? I've got to get some rep points before I can edit my posts. (I usually have a few typos and grammatical errors, which are annoying when you can't fix them.)

I think it has a lot to do with the nearly world wide prohibition. I hear that in the US, only research that is likely to report negatively about cannabis gets the go ahead to do experiments with it. I wouldn't be surprised if the same is true everywhere else.

One of my friend's friends once took his blood pressure and heart rate while high. His blood pressure was about 145 over 70 (sitting, with arm supported) and his heart rate was about 165. He looked it up on Wolfram Alpha and his heart rate was normal for moderate to hard exercise. (If you want to try this, go to WA and search "hr 18yo," but replace "18" with your age.) His normal blood pressure is about 120 over 70 (sitting, with arm supported) and his normal heart rate is about 70-80. It should be noted that he is a new user and doesn't have much of a tolerance.

Cannabis_Man added 1 Minutes and 15 Seconds later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannabis_Man View Post
If you appreciate it, could you please rate my post?
That sounds bitchy. It didn't mean to sound bitchy.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Asking for reputation or admitting to have given reputation is not allowed

Last edited by Cannabis_Man; 11-12-2011 at 23:33. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Share this on:

Tags
anandamide, blood pressure, cannabinoids, cannabis, heart rate, high blood pressure, hypertension, marijuana, marijuana use, medical marijuana, norml, pot, skunk, tetrahydrocannabinol, thc, weed