Register Tags

Notices

Old 28-11-2011, 19:39

24 y/o Male from United States
SicBoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1 Points: 33, Level: 1
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%
methadone half-life

My friends been on MMT for a year, on Tuesday November 22nd he left after his last 50mg dose. He's been using clonidine to detox. He has two questions, today he used 60mg oxycodone IV, it had only about half the effect of what was expected, this was 6 days after his last methadone dose. Was this because the methadone still had blocking effects or did the methadone sky rocketed his tolerance? Also, this was used to ease some of the withdrawal as he wants to kick methadone and opiates for good, how long can he expect acute methadone withdrawal symptoms to last? Thanks.
Old 28-11-2011, 21:41
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

30 y/o Female from United States
SoulStealer is captain of the psychonauts.SoulStealer is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 246, Level: 2 Points: 246, Level: 2 Points: 246, Level: 2
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%
Re: methadone half-life

Both, actually. Methadone has a very long half-life, anywhere between 8 to 59 hours, but usually is on average about 36 hours. So this means that in about 36 hours, the amount of methadone in your system will drop by 50% of your previous dose. So suppose you have been on 40mg of methadone, in about 36 hours you will still have 20 mgs in your system, and in 72 hours you will have 10mg in your system, and so on. Then you have to take into consideration of all your previous doses, if you understand me correctly, you can see how quickly the methadone adds up in your system. You definately still have methadone in your system after 6 days. Even longer than that.

And methadone also increases your tolerance to opiates, especially while it is still in your system. So take both these facts into consideration, and you can understand why the Oxy didn't work as well as you had expected.

I detoxed off of methadone also, I was on 70mg/day for about 6 months. Although I did it for 2 weeks in a detox center. But still, it was not easy at all. The acute withdrawels, for me, lasted about 10-12 days. But for 3 months after that I still had difficulty sleeping (I swear I didn't sleep for 3 months!), body aches, intestinal distress, and some chills and hot flashes with very little energy. Eventually, day by day, you do start to feel a little bit better. I won't lie to you, but coming off of methadone was the hardest drug I ever came off of. It was not easy. You are going to need a support system in place, I actually stayed in rehab for 3 months and went to a 3 quarter way house afterwards. I truly believe that if I had not done that, I wouldn't have been able to stay clean. So make sure you get some support systems in place, because you will need them.

It is possible and you will get through it. Don't forget that. It won't last forever, you will start to feel better and normal again. You just have to hang on with everything you got.

Btw, like your name Sicboy. Did you get the idea from Trainspotting?

Post Quality Evaluations:
Marvellously informative post that incorporates personal experience. A very comprehensive reply.
Old 29-11-2011, 02:06

Heh, yep Trainspotting. What was it like for you in the detox center, what medications did they give you? Clonidine seems to be a miracle for me, I was first given it in a detox center for heroin dependance. The first night I didn't sleep then after that I didn't feel a thing except for a lot of fatigue. With methadone if I missed a dose in the past, at around the 40 hour mark I was in full out withdrawal. These 6 days with using clonidine I've slept every night completely normal and have only experienced aches which I use a muscle relaxer for and extreme fatigue again. The fatigue is so bad though it feels like my body weighs 3 times its normal weight. Thanks for answering
Old 29-11-2011, 21:11

SoulStealer is captain of the psychonauts.SoulStealer is captain of the psychonauts.

Well your lucky the clonidine is working that good for you! Your withdrawels don't seem that bad at all. Though, I know the fatigue is debilitating. Start taking all the B vitamins every day, especially B-12...they help alot with fatigue. And force yourself to get up and walk around, as much as it sucks, but it actually helps with the fatigue alot.

I think I went into withdrawels around the same hour mark. Before I got on the plane to head to detox, I doubled up on my dose and took 140mg...thinking I could hold off w/d's for as long as possible. When I got to the detox they gave me a strong concotion of hydrocodone/diazapam/phenergen. The first night I actually caught a little buzz from all the meds in my system and slept like a baby. But by the next night I was in full out withdrawels. They would give me the elixer every 4 hours in increasingly lower doses, and by the 3rd day, I didn't notice any difference after drinking it. It completely stopped helping the withdrawels all together. So one night they gave me clonodine to help with it and help me sleep. I actually did fall asleep that night but I was awoken by the techs and forced to get up and walk around because my blood pressure dropped so drastically. I ended up fainting and waking up to IV fluids going into my arm. So I didn't get anymore clonodine after that, they refused to give it to me even in very low doses. So I can't really even say how much it helped me.

I had no appetite, awful fatigue and the worst cold sweats and hot chills, body aches, insomnia, etc. I pretty much had every withdrawel symptom you could possibly get. I was in Miami, and I would lay out in the sun every day and just sit in the warmth of the sun and get tan and let the sweat poor out of me. I swear that was the only thing that helped me. I tried meditation, accupunture, and massages...but I didn't get any relief from any of them.

At the end of my 2 weeks when it was time for me to go, I was still sick and wanted to stay longer but my insurance wouldn't cover it. I was going straight to rehab. A friend that I made in there was leaving on the same day and going to the same rehab with me, they actually gave him a dose of Subutex before we left, and he was nice enough to break it in half and give some to me. The rest of that day I felt much better, but started to get sick again the next day. The rehab was concerned about my weight and my lack of appetite and insomnia, so they put me on Remeron and Trazadone. The Remeron actually helped with my appetite alot and I started gaining some weight back. The Trazadone didn't help me sleep, nothing did. But each day I started to feel a little bit better. I would force myslef to go to the gym and excercise and play volleyball, and that helped. By the time I was going home I felt pretty normal. But when I got home, my head was playing awful tricks with me and tormenting me to get high. Luckily I had a good support group in place and was going to NA, so that helped me alot.

I hope your experience is alot easier then mine, it already sounds like your doing alot better than I was when I was where you are. So I think your on a good path and your already in the worst of it, so it should only start to get better from here on out.
Old 30-11-2011, 05:02

Thanks for sharing. The addiction is insidious, creeping into my mind every moment. Your appetite just soars away, I didn't eat a single thing today, the only thing I had with calories in it was some powerade, and I'm still not hungry at all. All I can do is lay in bed because of the fatigue, I don't care about anything else. So right now I'm completely no functional, can't work, can't go to the gym, scared to even drive because of how dizzy I can become. I'm doing well in that I'm not having cold sweats or insomnia or much body aches but I'm so tired and dizzy I can't do anything even brushing my teeth is a chore. After your two weeks were you at least a functional person? Because I have a lot to get done but for now I can only lay in bed, I'm hoping maybe in another week I'll be able to function.
Old 30-11-2011, 06:32
Palladium Member

Male from United States
CrookedEye really knows their shit.CrookedEye really knows their shit.CrookedEye really knows their shit.CrookedEye really knows their shit.CrookedEye really knows their shit.CrookedEye really knows their shit.CrookedEye really knows their shit.CrookedEye really knows their shit.CrookedEye really knows their shit.
Points: 1,377, Level: 5 Points: 1,377, Level: 5 Points: 1,377, Level: 5
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

SWIM kicked a 7 year opiate/opioid habit, half of that on methadone (100 mgs a day for much of that time) with a single dose of ibogaine and other iboga alkaloids, from the plant Tabernanthe iboga. Small booster doses can be taken after a single large dose, to help minor post acute withdrawal symptoms, but it's a very strong psychedelic that can be dangerous without doing a lot of research and using it properly. He also quit eating sweets, smoking cigs and adopted a much healthier lifestyle, all after that single dose, and he didn't even use any boosters, as is often recommended for long acting opiates with such an extended half-life.
Old 30-11-2011, 19:46

Well just take it easy then, lay in bed and relax until you start feeling better. I know it was a chore for me to just get out of bed and take a shower, it seemed like a daunting task. Not to mention the shower water falling on me actually hurt! After the 2 weeks, I was definatley able to function somewhat normally. The fatigue is still there, but it is much better than it was during those first 2 weeks, I actually was able to walk around, shower, and do normal day to day activities. It is just the lingering effects I was suffering from, but they would come and go and not last all day. You should definately start feeling better after 2 weeks, at least well enough to function.
Old 01-12-2011, 14:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedEye View Post
SWIM kicked a 7 year opiate/opioid habit, half of that on methadone (100 mgs a day for much of that time) with a single dose of ibogaine and other iboga alkaloids, from the plant Tabernanthe iboga. Small booster doses can be taken after a single large dose, to help minor post acute withdrawal symptoms, but it's a very strong psychedelic that can be dangerous without doing a lot of research and using it properly. He also quit eating sweets, smoking cigs and adopted a much healthier lifestyle, all after that single dose, and he didn't even use any boosters, as is often recommended for long acting opiates with such an extended half-life.
Wow that's great. Is ibogaine easy to get in the US, its not an approved medication isn't it?
Old 02-12-2011, 17:53
Anti Matter Member

49 y/o Male from Germany
TheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 8,976, Level: 13 Points: 8,976, Level: 13 Points: 8,976, Level: 13
Activity: 48.5% Activity: 48.5% Activity: 48.5%

SicBoy,

Iboga is a very interesting medication and we got lots of threads on that on DF.
I'd suggest you do a Forum search and read about it. As you seem to be withdrawing I think you have plenty of time to do so at this moment.

Good wishes and vibes to you from over the pond

TBBW
Old 02-12-2011, 23:04

41 y/o Male from United Kingdom
buck72 should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%

my friend was on methadone for 18 years over half of that getting high on it the last 6 years weaning off it,which is a long and frustraing procces with which he had many relapses,he was on 80 mls a day but taking 200 a time to get high with benzos as well,u realy need to want to come of opiots and be determined as it takes along time to come off methadone n it is not wise to come straight off a high dose of methadone,try n wean off to 20ml to 10ml then stop,diazepam can help when u stop methadone completely but be carefull not to replce methadone with benzos as the withdrawal off them is just as bad in my friends experience,its a long road n it will be hard but it is worth it at the end hope u get there quickly m8 gud luk.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Thank you for sharing your story

Share this on:

Tags
amidone, analgesic, clonidine, detox, dolophine, half life, heptadon, iboga, ibogaine, insomnia, methadone, methadone maintenance treatment, methadose, mmt, opiates, opioid, physeptone, rehab, symoron, withdrawal, withdrawal symptoms