Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery > Opiate addiction
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Opiate addiction Support for coping with Opiate addiction and Opiate addiction treatment.

Old 28-11-2011, 12:18

Male from United States
traumanurse is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 67, Level: 1 Points: 67, Level: 1 Points: 67, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Rapid Detoxification

My Grandmother has issues since he injured his back and neck in Afghanistan. 2 IED events messed him up so bad that he has been taking Fentanyl100 mcg/q3d for the pain, and Dilaudid 8mg q4-6h for breakthrough pain he has from the explosion and surgury L4-5 L5-S1 fusions with carbon fiber disks, 2 titanium rods, 6 titanium screws and 4 titanium bracets. In 2 weeks he gos for his last surgury for more fun. C5-6 C6-7 fusions and a titanium plate. His back surgury was last feb and has healed well and pain is much improved but.... he is physically addicted to his medication. It is so bad that when his patches get wet or sweat behind them he goes into withdrawls within 30 minutes and HELL is the only words he can use to discribe it. The Neurosurgeon states that the pain from the neck surgury is nothing in comparison to the back surgery. Thus the pain typically last 2 or 3 weeks.
Now She is seriously concidering going to a rapid detoxification center to get the shit out of her system. After plenty of research she seems to think that this would be a great way to clean out and skip all the BS of regular rehab. She was there before and it was long and drawn out. Also subsituting Suboxone for her current medication while coming off still is a small form of hell.

So if anyone has experiance with Rapid detoxification ,, please , please , respond with comments if you could. She really would like some insight rathar that advertisements.

Thanks

Traumanurse
Old 28-11-2011, 16:33
Banned

44 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Dickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 7,375, Level: 12 Points: 7,375, Level: 12 Points: 7,375, Level: 12
Re: Rapid Detoxification

I can't help with any direct experience of this rapid detox protocol, but I've seen mixed reviews of it, and it's certainly something you would do well to research. There

I have one real question though. Are you planning on doing the withdrawal before of after the neck surgery? It doesn't, to my way of looking at things, make a great deal of sense to do it until after you have sorted out as much of the physical side of things, especially as after an operation you may well require narcotic pain killers. I imagine that you are planning to do it afterwards, but some kind of clarification would be helpful.

My sympathy for how hard things must be.

All the best

Dickon
Old 28-11-2011, 16:43
Silver Member

Male from United Kingdom
Descartesx is captain of the psychonauts.Descartesx is captain of the psychonauts.Descartesx is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 294, Level: 2 Points: 294, Level: 2 Points: 294, Level: 2

Be very, VERY careful. I have read a lot of stories of people who have not had any good results from rapid detox. This is a potentially very dangerous situation, normal withdrawals are very rarely lethal but if one were to speed up the process, it could end up in a more severe place. If you are not psychologically depended on these meds, consider using a taper regimen, with medical supervision.

When you gain a physical dependence, you opiate receptors 'hide' and disappear for a while. If you were to rapidly detox, it may take weeks/months of feeling like shit before they grow back. But if you were to taper, it will give your body and receptors the time they need to adjust and by the time you're finished you should not feel any discomfort.

Research Post-acute withdrawal sympoms. A lot of people report anxiety, depression, insomnia and increased sensitivity to pain after the acute phase is over. Again, this may be as a result of a lack of opiate receptors.

I wish you all the best with your journey, it's one of the most difficult things one can do but if you were a soldier then I have no doubt you will be able to power through this. Just remember to keep your doctor and family in the loop- any support is good support.
Best Wishes!
Old 28-11-2011, 21:04
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

36 y/o Male from United Kingdom
blackc4tbones is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1

Hello there,sorry to hear of your injuries.

Heres some thoughts from my time on junk regarding faster detox's.

Df118 or dihydracodiene was the standard reduction method when i was younger,this has now changed to suboxone as i gather you are already familar with.Subbies are like meth,you need time and stamina to do em right,these are drugs with long half lives,they arent designed for faster treatment.
The Df's you can taper down and dose much easier according to circumstance,though if you follow the standard 8 day 16,14,12,10,8 down to nothing that should do the trick,along with some temazapam[gets you to sleep]& nitrazapam[keeps you asleep[[no good taking temazapam when it wears off a few hours later.Valium is also an option to help at day or night.

Only you know your own body so i will say what id do for me [tolerance of a rhino]
Df118's 30mg[you can get up to 120's i think but for titration purposes the 30's are best]
tabs every 4-6 hrs descending by 2 a day[how is up to you but i drop in the middle of the day and not the morning or night.
Like this
8 8 8 8
8 7 7 8
7 7 7 7
7 6 6 7
Also i would keep 4 10mg valium on hand for helping through the days but you may find this not needed,every rattle is different.
For the night i would want at least 2 x 20mg temazpam and 2 x 10mg nitrazapam.

Now bear in mind this is for a serious habit and not entry level dosage,maybe half this would be more appropriate,as i said only you can judge this.

What i can say helps is going somewhere warm,you book yourself 10 days in tenerife and it will be much easier.I went to isreal and ended up not even taking the DF's pn the 4 th day as i just felt i didnt need em.A lot of this is in the mind and any distractions are good,infact as i type im thinking the the more different your surroundings the more the brain is occupied and distraced from the pain and misery.

My last one comes the least reccomended.It involves the use of naltrexone and i only found this out when a dickhead of a mate said to me on day 2 to try these pills the doctar had give him,i just stuck my hand out[around the sick bowl],took 6 from the blister pack[thinking they were sedatives like valuim] and 30 mins later it hit me like a train,doubled up,wretching,spasms-i know you are ex army dude and im damn sure if you can take an IED you can take this-but is it worth it?
The naltrexone kicks any other optiates off the recpetors and i think it hinders seratonin development for a period as i felt suicidal 3 wks after a regular course of it after a residential.

Excuse the length but i didnt real;ise just how much of a loser i was to have this much experience to give,sad but true.

all the best mate

blackc4tbones added 71 Minutes and 42 Seconds later...

Apologies for the self incrimination,forgot to use the SWIM stuff,feel free to change it as SWIM just looked and cant seem to see a delete!

Post Quality Evaluations:
^Forget SWIM, the self-incrimination rules have changed a timae ago, and applies only to producing and trading drugs. Talking about personal use is perfectly alright. Using creative writing ( pink elephant told me in a dream...)would be a lot better

Last edited by blackc4tbones; 28-11-2011 at 21:04. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 29-11-2011, 02:21

24 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Dinneen is learning how to become a psychonaut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackc4tbones View Post
Apologies for the self incrimination,forgot to use the SWIM stuff,feel free to change it as SWIM just looked and cant seem to see a delete!
You may like to know that the self-incrimination rules on drugs-forum have now changed. You do not have to use SWIM unless you are discussing drug manufacture or extraction. Besides, using SWIM is highly unlikely to offer any legal protection anyway (I mean after all, it could just as well stand for 'Someone Who IS Me, and any court of law knows this!). So yeh, there's no need to change what you wrote...
Old 01-12-2011, 20:42

36 y/o Male from United Kingdom
blackc4tbones is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1

Thanks for the heads-up bro,always best to know where we stand.
Old 01-12-2011, 21:58
Palladium Member

Male from United States
CrookedEye really knows their shit.CrookedEye really knows their shit.CrookedEye really knows their shit.CrookedEye really knows their shit.CrookedEye really knows their shit.CrookedEye really knows their shit.CrookedEye really knows their shit.CrookedEye really knows their shit.CrookedEye really knows their shit.
Points: 1,377, Level: 5 Points: 1,377, Level: 5 Points: 1,377, Level: 5

I'd suggest iboga, as it will remove withdrawal and cravings, and can even help the pain for a good bit..
Old 02-12-2011, 17:38
Anti Matter Member

49 y/o Male from Germany
TheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond reputeTheBigBadWolf is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 9,192, Level: 14 Points: 9,192, Level: 14 Points: 9,192, Level: 14
Activity: 50.7% Activity: 50.7% Activity: 50.7%

traumanurse,

I think you are talking about the ultra-rapid detox with naltrexone while under general anaesthesia.

This method has its merits as in being very short, but can lead to serious complications, even lethal.

I read a bit through forums and found not all too many good experiences with that method.
I once met a bloke in rehab who came directly from that kind of detox, his overall condition was very unstable.- and he was gone after seven more days. One week later we got the news he had ODed on Heroin and died the very same day he left rehab.
In opiate addicts without stable social background the method seems to yield relapses very quickly and also "deeper in" than the patients were before.

In patients WITH social background there seems to be a good rate of successful ones.

So there are several things to ponder: How much one is integrated in their social contacts, how strong the wish to quit with the drugs is and the general status of health in the person.

I see your Grandma has to have several surgeries coming, so adding another general anaesthesia on top of it seems to me hard for her body.
One should try to get the surgeries done, like >Dickon above wrote, get over the painful time afterwards with the help of the drugs and THEN re-ponder which way of detox would be adequate to them.

Rapid detox is the most straining one on body AND mind.

My advice would be to get surgeries done and then talk about detox later.

My best wishes to you and your Grandma.

TBBW
Old 04-12-2011, 20:43

Male from United States
traumanurse is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 67, Level: 1 Points: 67, Level: 1 Points: 67, Level: 1

I am going to do it after the neck surgery. From what i am told the neck surgery does not hurt to much. I have been on pain medication so long that i would rather live with some pain than take meds anymore. I am done with all of it. I can't get any euphoria anymore. I get anxiety frequently, nausea at time and everything that goes with it. I have been to rehab twice, this time i just want the rapid detox and do the things that i know work after wards. Pray to God that it works and he gets me through it and he keeps me strong.

traumanurse added 8 Minutes and 48 Seconds later...

I really APPRECIATE all the imput from everyone here. I think i will research a bit more. Maybe i sould do the traditional detox treatment. Is 4 weeks long enough to detox> The last one i did was 8 weeks long. I am getting out of the Army soon and really don't want to be in rehab when my papers come in.

Again thanks everyone

Last edited by traumanurse; 04-12-2011 at 20:43. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-07-2012, 03:35

Female from Canada
Canayjun is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

My son did the rapid detox recently (June 2012). It is not what it is described to be. There is value in it, but it is NOT a pain/discomfort free detox at all. This is what they do. They put you on a morphine drip as soon as possible after you arrive (in order to delay withdrawal). Then they do some testing to make sure you can handle the anesthetic. The morphine drip remains for almost the entire first day. You sleep over night, then the next day they administer what they describe as a light sedative that knocks you out. While you are asleep they administer a high dose of naltrexone and a high dose of clonidine and a high dose of seroquel...intravenously.

According to most posts about opiate WD, it lasts about 72-96 hours. And the peak is from 48-72 hours. So...they give you enough naltroxone to detox you quickly, but they drop you (take you out of sedation) at about 65-72 hours. So you wake up at the peak of WD. That's the bad news. The good news is you do not experience a WD that is constantly getting worse. You experience a WD that is absolutely horrible, but gets better constantly. Also the WD is much shorter (24 to 36 hours).

There were four people who transferred from the hospital to the recovery (rehab) after the rapid detox. Not one of them experienced a pain/discomfort free detox. ALL were quite sick after the rapid detox. It's difficult to know how much of the pain/sickness is from WD and how much is from the after effects of the anesthetic. My son had hallucinations from the high dose naltrexone. He was in severe WD pain/anxiety for almost 48 hours. They had to have a diaper on them for a while after the anesthetic.

This was our experience with the rapid detox in Los Angeles. The patient care once you are transferred from the hospital to the rehab centre declines. Although the staff at the rehab take very good care of you, the doctoral care diminishes and you might not even be given clonidine, because according to them "you are not experiencing a painful detox." The doctors are in denial about the amount of pain and discomfort the patients have, as it contradicts their claim of a pain free WD.

If you can't get through a 96 hour WD, and this is the only way you think you can do it, then go for it. Although anyone's claim of a pain free/easy WD is a delusion. There is still value in this, since it is the ONLY way some people can get through it. I believe this WAS the only way to get my son through it. But expect pain, expect anxiety, expect to wear a diaper, expect the doctors to ignore your pain/anxiety. But hang in there for the 36 hours and get through it. Nothing else worked for my son BUT THIS. But know it does not work as described.

Thank you for your valuable experience report! Informative & helpful. A 1st-hand account from your son (if it wouldn't be too triggering) would also be very highly received! :)
Old 03-03-2013, 13:45
Mercury Member

Male from United States
rodneyrdr needs to UTFSE some more before posting.

After being on high dose methadone for 31 yrs I almost went for the 'rapid detox under anesthesia' procedure , but decided to research some patient stories online. Holy Shit did I find some. NOT 1 was a positive report. All 10 that I read about were pissed off people that had been put thru absolute HELL with that outrageously expensive procedure. One of them went thru it for vicodin addiction and it seemed like the only story with a debatable ending. Not near as bad as the other 9, but bad.
Since its a medical procedure, of course there is no money back guarantee or refund if it doesn't work. Just that alone should tell you a lot about it. Anywhere from $3000-$20,000 is what they charge. Fuck that. Maybe it could work if they knew what they were doing, but none of them really do. Its just too new.
Old 21-04-2013, 04:58

47 y/o Male from United States
mortysmate is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 31, Level: 1 Points: 31, Level: 1 Points: 31, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

i have some firsthand experience with rapid detox, and my account is detailed elsewhere on this forum, I believe in the thread entitled " my experiences with rapid detox", it seems to me that most of the negative reviews are from people that didn't actually go through the procedure but are just recycling anecdotes they've heard. Of course nothings guaranteed in life and im sure the procedure isn't successful all of the time for all people. I do know, though, the success rates for reputable facilities ( Waismann in my case) is higher than any other forms of treatment. I think cold turkey has more stress related risks ( heart attack etc) than rapid detox. I sometimes feel like a lone voice in the dark when I share my positive experience and outcome ( sober since2007), and I think I know why. I think people that go through the procedure move on with their new lives and try to leave the misery of dependency behind them, which includes pouring through forums for help and advice. Its understandable but kind of leaves everyone else with a inaccurate sense of the success rates. Forums like this one were invaluable when I needed advice and guidance, and I wish more success stories stuck around to share their positive feedback. I think for anyone considering rapid detox, go to the source for accurate info. Ask them about success rates, the procedure etc, factual questions that cannot be misrepresented or skewed. Rapid detox stopped my opiate dependency when all else failed, and if all else is failing for someone out there, they deserve to have all the facts.

Thank you for sharing your personal account. All the information available on rapid detox is valuable.
Old 23-09-2013, 22:06

Male from United States
MIKE ROCK is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%

I have heard horror stories about detox centers that simply send their patients to a hotel room the night after detox!!! My son was treated in California in a real hospital with a board certified doctor. I was looking to find a place for treatment for a friend's son who lives on the East coast, and after doing my homework, am going to recommend that he also sends his son to the Waismann in California, as it seems the only legitimate and professional place to go

Share this on:

Tags
addiction, detox, detoxification, dilaudid, drug addiction, drugs, fentanyl, incrimination, naltrexone, opiate, opiate addiction, rapid detox, recovery, rehab, self incrimination, taper, withdrawal