Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery > Opiate addiction
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Opiate addiction Support for coping with Opiate addiction and Opiate addiction treatment.

Old 25-11-2011, 19:03
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

24 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Dinneen is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Recommended loperamide dosage for withdrawal?

I am approximately 48 hours into withdrawal from poppy tea, having only consumed a dose of poppy seed tea within this period to help with the symptoms, but this didn't really do much...I have stocked up on loperamide and took 18 milligrams about an hour ago (9 x 2mg capsules)...I have a total of 60 x 2mg capsules (so have 51 left) but I want to make them last out a bit before I have to stock up on any more. However, the 18mg's hasn't done that much to reduce the nausea and diarrhea so far, and I can't eat or drink anything because I gag and retch at the thought of anything...I swallowed 6 of the capsules and dissolved the rest in water which I drank. I have a very high tolerance, but I was expecting 18 mg's to do a bit more. How many more should I take? What dose do others find to be best for aiding opioid withdrawal symptoms? (My regular pod dosage is around 600 ml of ground up pods, or ~ 150 g worth of powdered material) Rlly grateful for any response!!!
Old 26-11-2011, 07:39
Banned

44 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Dickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond reputeDickon is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 7,375, Level: 12 Points: 7,375, Level: 12 Points: 7,375, Level: 12
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Recommended loperamide dosage for withdrawal?

You are already taking a very high dosage here. It doesn't seem all that likely that gobbling more will do all that much good. Maybe you have to accept the fact that unfortunately loperamide might not be able to control the nausea and diarrhoea as well as you'd like. There are reports of people trying very high doses of loperamide to aid in withdrawal (100mg+) with mixed results.

Although I am no expert on the subject, and further research would be in order, you are not likely to be doing yourself much damage if you escalate the dose somewhat. A quick look on google doesn't find anything about loperamide overdose, but since it is an opiate, albeit a peripherally acting one only. and you have a pre-existing tolerance, you should be ok.

I don't think there are any real guidelines here, although there is a thread on here detailing high doses of loperamide with some experience that may prove useful: http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=154461

I want to wish you all the best with the withdrawal. You will get an awful lot of support and good information from people on here. If you want to read my own detox journal that I wrote when I cleaned up it's here: Screaming in the night air. There are a lot of people who have used this forum as a major source of support when they go through withdrawal.

We are all rooting for you! Best of luck

Dickon
Old 26-11-2011, 09:43
Palladium Member

32 y/o Female from Australia
iceflame really adds to the discussion.iceflame really adds to the discussion.iceflame really adds to the discussion.iceflame really adds to the discussion.iceflame really adds to the discussion.iceflame really adds to the discussion.
Points: 1,006, Level: 4 Points: 1,006, Level: 4 Points: 1,006, Level: 4
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%

I use loperamide to aid withdrawal, but I do not take huge doses, 20mg maximum once daily.
I use this amount a) because it helpful & b) because I have Crohns Disease which means I have excessive bowel movements every day.

The idea is to take 2/4/6 or 8 tablets (if really necessary) after each bowel movement. Not one or two excessive doses per day. Increasing to 16mg if required.

If you aren't getting the results you need, ie; you're still suffering from diarrhea, you run the risk of serious dehydration. Please consult a health proffesional.

I havn't had any releif from loperamide in regards to nausea, it isn't designed for that.
Short of taking anti nausea meds, sipping electrolyte based drinks can provide some releif.
Nausea is oftentimes one of the worse symptoms of withdrawal in terms of your ability to take your mind off your situation.

There are many otc remedies, but once again I urge you to consult a dr. as nausea and vomiting only exacerbate dehydration.

As Dickon said, you will find as much support as you need emotionally on DF, but we cannot relieve your physical ailments, unfortunately, we can only make suggestions based on our knowledge, in hopes of making this process a little easier.
We are not a substitute for true professional care.
You may be pleasantly suprised with what a dr can help you with.

Withdrawal isn't a criminal activity, it is a legitimate condition which warrants medical attention at times. Do not hesitate to seek help, it will only aid your recovery, especially when you're not dealing with your demons alone.

We are here if you need our support.

Sending loads of positive vibes your way!

Last edited by iceflame; 06-03-2012 at 21:59. Reason: Electrolyte drinks.
Old 26-11-2011, 19:03
Gold Member

Female from USA - Massachusetts
kailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 11,132, Level: 15 Points: 11,132, Level: 15 Points: 11,132, Level: 15
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

As mentioned, if you're still having diarrhea, you can probably take more without too much problem. I have not done this, so don't quote me here, but I have heard of people in opioid withdrawal taking up to 30mg in 1 go (possibly in the thread Dickon linked to).

Your tolerance (or reaction to withdrawal) seems to be high enough that you may very well *NOT* be able to do this at home. There is no shame in asking for help, and a 4-6 day stay at an in-patient detox may be the help you need to kick this once and for all.

If you continue to be able to hold anything down/in, PLEASE make sure to get to a hospital - you can DIE from dehydration due to diarrhea and nausea; it's not pretty & can happen quickly and worse, if you hold off on going to the ER too long, you may become fucked up in the head from your electrolyte balance being off & unable to make a rational decision! Make sure to stock up on Gatorade/Powerade - or better, Pedialyte (as usual, generic/store-brand versions are fine) & keep sipping on it continually.

But please please please, don't be afraid to ask for help.

~Kailey
Old 07-12-2011, 21:17
Silver Member

Male from United States
Spaceracer is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1

Yes! I finally found my login information. This is a bit long, but I wanted to explain all of this in one spot. Loperamide has become a miracle drug for me and a friend of mine!

The amount we found effective is 12 pills per day. Take six in the morning, six more at night. (Just about every 12 hours.)

***This is all opinion, based on experiences of my friend and myself. We are not doctors, so keep in mind it's only what worked for us.***

I have IBS, a particularly severe version. For years life was absolute hell, no matter what I would eat, I would become extremely ill.

Some time ago I finally got onto medications, but they didn't always work, and the most help I ever got was from taking lots of prescribed opiates. I didn't want to do that, so I kept being sick or less healthy. Withdrawal doesn't strike me as a street I want to take!

Meanwhile, a friend of mine ignored those warnings. He was mostly using pills like Vicodin or stronger, but always opiates. I think he used pods or seeds, but I'm not entirely sure.

Anyway, our paths came together when neither of us were pretty happy with the different causes of sickness, mine IBS; his withdrawal. We used a lot of info found on this forum as well as a few others and got to work. Our weapon: Loperamide.

I don't really remember the specifics, but for IBS and withdrawal both, the magic number seemed to be six pills, twice a day, for a total of 12 per day. My friend is a lot larger than me, and had a fairly moderate addiction (I don't know how much he took daily) but 6 seemed to be the winner.

Since you're going through the poop-part of it all, you could try taking nine pills, twice a day, usually about 12 hours apart. Once the poop stabilises, drop down to six, twice a day. My friend said he carried that cold, clammy feeling, similar to drinking that first sip of really cold water. Otherwise, no withdrawal trouble otherwise. He even said he lost the craving! My guess is his brain's receptors were getting the important parts of the opiates so it didn't demand the secondary, i.e. the want.

You have to stick with it, and wean yourself off or you'll get the withdrawal from the loperamide. But even then, it's mild compared to the Mark-Renton-Trainspotting withdrawals.

I've been on this myself for a number of months now and if I forget to take it, I'll too feel some bad effects, albeit mild ones. My friend is weaning off it, but I'm staying with it because of the IBS. I've been very busy recently, so I missed about two days' doses. The poops came back, but I wasn't violently ill like before I started any medicines. It was a little harder to sleep, had a little bit of coughing. That's pretty much it, no horrible symptoms.

I'm no doctor, but from what I've read of loperamide, it's not a medicine that causes health problems if taken long term. Doctors recommend taking it as a preventative, maybe not as their first idea and it sucks to have to take it every day, but it's been around a long time and is well understood.

-----

From what my friend through, I believe loperamide is the absolute best choice for any person wishing to avoid withdrawal. Reasons are:

1: It works really well.

2: It's cheap. The big-box-retailers carry generic boxes of 48 or 72 for only a few euros/dollars/pounds. A 72-count box will last me almost a week. (The rules page here says "Prices & sources of common products from national chain stores like K-mart are allowed" so I assume it's OK for me to say that.) Shop around, as some places are much more expensive.

3: It's private. If it's not on record (no arrests, rehab, failed drug tests, etc.) that you are addicted to opiates, keep it that way. Again, I am not a doctor, and if you have any problems you should SEEK MEDICAL ATTENTION IMMEDIATELY!!! I definitely do not want to say one shouldn't get medical attention, counseling, all that stuff if you need it. If it comes down to a choice of asking a doctor for a prescription and admitting everything, vs. buying something legally yourself, why not choose the easier road? Why allow that information be entered into your medical records if you can avoid it?

4: It's common, readily available. Providing you live in the modern world, you can walk into any retailer that sells medications and get it. You don't have to build your day/life around trips to the methadone clinic, doctor and pharmacy, or chasing down some drug dealer.

5: It won't get you high. Things like methadone just trade one scary, illicit opiate for a stable, meted dose... but it still can get you high. With loperamide, you are sober. Overdosing is much less likely; you won't feel tempted to take more loperamide like methadone or others, because there's nothing to chase.

6: It killed my friend's cravings!
As I said above, my friend said he lost the craving, he didn't find himself fighting to "go out and score." Neither of us could figure out why, but he said that when he'd tried quitting cold turkey, he'd start craving it withing days or weeks or months.

-----

Like said above, DO NOT LET YOURSELF GET DEHYDRATED! Dehydration has sent me to the ER several times, just this year. If the nausea will allow it, the BRAT diet may help (banana, rice, applesauce, toast). Sometimes loperamide takes a long time to stop the diarrhea, so give it time and and keep taking it hours apart like the bottle recommends. If the six I recommend isn't enough, you could try another half-dose a few hours later.

With the vomiting, phenergan or other anti-nausea meds can help and generally work OK with loperamide. They make you sleepy, though. Another good thing is those pulse-point wristbands they sell for motion sickness. They work really well! The last IBS attack I had (unfortunately the loperamide doesn't always stop them all...) came with a lot of nausea, something rare for me, and the bands, phenergan and light eating all failed me. It was also a very stressful time, but had the stress not been there, they probably would have defeated the vomiting.

Good luck! I hope your withdrawal symptoms subside very soon. Regardless of how you got them, nausea and upset stomach are two very awful things. Feel better!

Post Quality Evaluations:
This is some really useful info on loperamine for IBS and withdrawal
Old 10-12-2011, 07:10

Male from Canada
Dwayne143 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1 Points: 13, Level: 1

I as well have heard and read that if you are withdrawing from opiates/heroin that you take a larger amount of Loperamide.

what I have heard and read and what I am going to do is
Day #1 take 20 2mg pills not capsules every 12 hours
Day #2 the same as above
Day #3 take 10 2 mg pills every 12 hours
Day #4 & 5 we will se how it goes

You need to take a higher does as above to cover the withdrawl synptoms a lower amount may not be enough to cover the withdrawl.

I read that there is some form of opiate in Loperamide but not enough for it to qualify for (i am not sure what it is called) someone help me with this.So you can buy it over the counter and it pharmacutical use is for Diareha.

Remember that this is MY opinion and I am going by the research (which has been alot) I have attained.
My long term is in the new year do a Ibogaine treatment and get rid of this opiate addiction all together.If you do not know about ibogaine and you are addicted to opiates I recommend you google it and do some research on it

Good luck

God Bless

Dwayne143 added 6 Minutes and 24 Seconds later...

O.K I did some looking and this is the answer to loperamde having some form of opiate in it

What loperamide is and how it works:

Loperamide is an anti-diarrheal OTC (over the counter) medication. Opiates give constipation, and because loperamide is an opiate that won't get you high, it is sold OTC to relieve the runs.

Loperamide is an opiate whos chemical structure is too big to cross something called the Blood Brain Barrier (BBB). Morphine, oxycodone, fentanyl, heroin, and other opiates easily cross the BBB to activate pleasure receptors in the brain. There are also other opiate receptors located throughout the body, but they are not protected by a barrier like the BBB. Because Loperamide does NOT cross the BBB, it will not get you high. HOWEVER, Loperamide WILL and DOES work on the other opiate receptors located throughout the body.

When a person withdrawals off opiates, the Central Nervous System is thrown into chaos due to the absence of the opiate. Because loperamide can still activate the opiate receptors not protected by the BBB, it has the potential to alleviate almost all withdrawals without continuing an addiction or getting a person high.

Read more: http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/sho...#ixzz1g7530RfF

Last edited by Dwayne143; 10-12-2011 at 07:10. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-12-2011, 07:38
Titanium Member

Female from United States
hypernihl is on the way uphypernihl is on the way uphypernihl is on the way up
Points: 409, Level: 3 Points: 409, Level: 3 Points: 409, Level: 3
Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2%

Loperamide, It's night/day unless you add quinine. I've tried it both ways. In the U.S. you can get quinine in ~10mg pills with out a prescription. Go to any GNC and ask for a formulation for Restless Leg Syndrome. There is a particular one that contains ~10mg of quinine. Prescription doses are 100 and 200 mg.

Seriously, alone (just Loperamide) you will feel a little better, and when your full on withdrawing, you will swear by it! Add ~100mg of quinine you'll understand and feel 10X better and you can reduce your dose of Loperamide.

Post Quality Evaluations:
helpful info, thanks for sharing

Share this on:

Tags
addiction, craving, drug addiction, drugs forum, heroin, loperamide, opiate addiction, opiate receptors, opiates, quinine, recovery, tolerance, withdrawal