Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Various drugs not covered by other forums > Antidepressants
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 20-11-2011, 20:39
Banned

24 y/o Male from Canada
apiffini is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Wellbutrin at the beginning of opiate withdrawal?

I have a bunch of sample bottles of wellbutrin, 150mg and 300mg. I'm supposed to take them but have neglected to do so since I've been addicted to approximately 60mg of oxy per day.

I'm down to my last 20mg and was wondering if anyone has experience with starting the wellbutrin during withdrawal, will it help?
Old 20-11-2011, 21:22
Palladium Member

28 y/o Male from Luxembourg
C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.C.D.rose really knows their shit.
Points: 3,601, Level: 8 Points: 3,601, Level: 8 Points: 3,601, Level: 8
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%
Re: Wellbutrin at the beginning of opiate withdrawal?

Hmmm, bupropion (Wellbutrin, Zyban) is used as a smoking cessation aid, so there is some sort of way one could imagine it to be useful in opiate withdrawal, but... that's a very long stretch, and I would say it's probably too long. Technically it may help somewhat, but there is a chance that you may experience side effects that completely offset any potential benefit.

And that's not even to talk about other (possibly serious) issues that could arise. Bupropion is an inhibitor of a liver cytochrome that plays a role in the metabolization of certain drugs. (A quick Google search yields CYP2D6, but I actually think it's a different one. I'll have to look at that some more.) That means that it slows down the metabolization of other drugs that use the same enzyme, and I think that hydrocodone is one of those drugs. It may affect oxycodone as well. This all means that it would probably not be a good idea to start taking bupropion at this point in time.

More generally, I wonder why you were supposed to take bupropion, but decided not to? If whatever you were diagnosed with is still present, it might be a good idea to check that out and look at whether you may need some help with that. But that is up to you of course...

Last edited by C.D.rose; 20-11-2011 at 21:24. Reason: [noparse]
Old 13-04-2012, 03:39

33 y/o Male from United States
PunchThomas is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 40, Level: 1 Points: 40, Level: 1 Points: 40, Level: 1
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%

If you're physically addicted, meaning you become sick if you stop taking opiates, welbutrin won't make you better.

But both opiates and wellbutrin work by stimulating the dopamine pathways in your brain, so I believe it can help with the psychological side of addiction. Wellbutrin is in a class of antidepressants by itself, since it does not work as an SRI like most others.

If you can get yourself off of opiates to the point where there is no more psychical sickness, wellbutrin can help control the desire to go out and take more.

PunchThomas added 1 Minutes and 55 Seconds later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunchThomas View Post
If you can get yourself off of opiates to the point where there is no more psychical sickness, wellbutrin can help control the desire to go out and take more.
That's PHYSICAL sickness. Apologies. Wish there was a way to edit a post once it's posted

Last edited by PunchThomas; 13-04-2012 at 03:39. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 16-05-2012, 20:11

Male from Brazil
cogumelo is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1 Points: 32, Level: 1
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

As they have said the wellbutrin is an antidepressant, will help the desire to use drugs, but the physical withdrawal symptoms will not end. The best thing to do is lower the dose gradually using a opioid safer. Or try some of the experimental treatments with drugs such as ibogaine (search fot it at wikepedia) that has shown good treatment, just do not know if it will be easy to find. Remember also that the effect of bupropion will take at least 14 days to start, usually peaks after a few months.
Old 16-05-2012, 20:41
Silver Member

Male from United States
BigWillyStyle is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 152, Level: 2 Points: 152, Level: 2 Points: 152, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

If someone started taking opiates in the first place because of depression, then wellbutrin might help them out because it acts sort of similarly to opiates but much more gently and slowly. Opiates release a flood of dopamine, wellbutrin is going to very slowly raise the water level of the lake of dopamine (and norbupe, so it will give more energy as well) in the brain. Because of its long time to maximum efficacy, wellbutrin will probably note alleviate any immediate WD symptoms BUT it may help to fix whatever imbalance caused someone to seek out opiates in the first place. And help keep PAWS away too, which for most is the hardest part.
Old 16-05-2012, 20:55
Silver Member

Male from United States
AddyCrazy is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 180, Level: 2 Points: 180, Level: 2 Points: 180, Level: 2
Activity: 3.5% Activity: 3.5% Activity: 3.5%

I wouldn't recommend starting Wellbutrin during withdrawal. I am on it and in the beginning it is very stimulating and may cause anxiety and restlessness. Since you will already have plenty of that during your WDs I wouldn't advise it. But after WDs an antidepressant is very useful for people who do drugs to mask emotions like anxiety or depression.

Share this on:

Tags
antidepressant, bupropion, drugs, opiate addiction, wellbutrin, withdrawal