Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Various drugs not covered by other forums > Antidepressants
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 15-11-2011, 17:32

Male from United States
classic is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 73, Level: 1 Points: 73, Level: 1 Points: 73, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Zoloft Help

I've recently been prescribed Zoloft and Klonopin for my anxiety and depression. It's been almost three weeks and I continue to have panic attacks and horribly depressive thoughts. I've actually made a suicide attempt (which nobody knows of). I don't want to discuss this with my psychiatrist at the risk of having to go into psychiatric care. The cause of the attempt was a depressive panic attack.
Now, with the zoloft I have these sexual side effects that make me last longer during sex, and sometimes not finish at all. Although it doesn't bother me, it bothers my partner.
I want to ask my psychiatrist to increase my Zoloft script from 25 to 50 mg and add a .5-1.0 mg Xanax script for these panic attacks. Would the increase in zoloft make sexual side effects worse? I'm worried for this reason.
Old 15-11-2011, 17:41
Silver Member

33 y/o Female from United States
tbuns is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 139, Level: 1 Points: 139, Level: 1 Points: 139, Level: 1
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%
Re: Zoloft Help

Hey next time you feel suicidal, do your self a favor and call 911, they might keep you on a psychiatric hold for 72 hours but they will help you. (I have been there) Does your prescribing doctor know about any of this? He/she should ASAP.

I would ask, were you feeling suicidal before the Zoloft? Are you a young person? I am no doctor but I know that SSRI's carry suicide risks.

Perhaps talk to your doctor about switching to Wellbutrin which is less likely to badly effect with your sexual function.
Old 15-11-2011, 18:52

Male from United States

Yes I have been prior to taking the zoloft. Weeks into the zoloft I felt fine but I'd get random minor panic attacks that I could fend off using thought mechanisms. These major ones have been getting to me. I don't want to be in care. I have things to worry about. A panic medication would really help. The klonopin helps the GAD but it's too low of a dose for that and for the panic attacks. Should I ask to increase the dose, for Xanax, or for both is what I'm wondering.
Old 15-11-2011, 19:05
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic View Post
Yes I have been prior to taking the zoloft. Weeks into the zoloft I felt fine but I'd get random minor panic attacks that I could fend off using thought mechanisms. These major ones have been getting to me. I don't want to be in care. I have things to worry about. A panic medication would really help. The klonopin helps the GAD but it's too low of a dose for that and for the panic attacks. Should I ask to increase the dose, for Xanax, or for both is what I'm wondering.
I doubt your doctor will give you both Xanax and Klonopin. I am prescribed 3mg a day for my anxiety (mine is depressive as well) along with Celexa, Abilify, Wellbutrin and Aterax.

I would try asking your doc for a dosage increase before Xanax. First time I was put on a low dose of Klonopin, I asked my doc for something different and then he actually discharged me as a patient. What dose are you on anyhow? And how soon can you see your doctor again to discuss this? You are in a pretty dangerous situation.
Old 15-11-2011, 19:37

Male from United States

.5mg Klonopin and 25mg Zoloft.
The panic attacks are like heart attacks though. Crippling. My chest and arms hurt and I get horrible thoughts. I'm scared of a zoloft dose increase due to sex but I'll request klonopin. She referred to it as "an extremely low dose"
I understand how Xanax makes me feel and I feel as if it would be of huge benefit. I've been taking everything as prescribed and don't intend abuse.
Old 15-11-2011, 19:56
Research Chemicals Forum
Super Moderator

Male from United Kingdom
Phenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 21,257, Level: 21 Points: 21,257, Level: 21 Points: 21,257, Level: 21
Activity: 45.4% Activity: 45.4% Activity: 45.4%

As tbuns said suicidal ideation can be a paradoxical side-effect of Zoloft and pretty much any SSRI. This is something you really should discuss with your doctor. It may be an indication that the Zoloft isn't a suitable treatment, and that increasing the Zoloft script would do more harm than good. You also say you've only been prescribed Zoloft recently, and SSRIs do take a few weeks to settle in. Upping the dose prematurely might not be advisable. While I can understand your reluctance to discuss it with the psychiatrist, an attempted suicide shouldn't be treated casually. These could be life or death decisions, so being dishonest with the doctor and yourself about the severity of the incident isn't going to help anyone in the long run.

With regard to the benzodiazepines, how do you know how Xanax makes you feel? Have you been prescribed it before? If so then it's certainly a possible line of treatment to discuss with the doctor. In any case it's worth discussing the anxiety attacks and seeing if there is anything else, pharmaceutical or otherwise, that may help control them. If you haven't been prescribed Xanax before and your experience comes from illegitimate use then requesting it to be prescribed may result in being tarred with the 'drug seeking behavior' brush.
Old 15-11-2011, 22:37

Male from United States

My father had been prescribed .25 mg Xanax along with sertraline and klonopin. I constantly had Severe panic attacks with triggers that couldn't be determined. He gave me a dose a few of the times I has these panic attacks and the heart attack and no breath feelings would dissipate only slightly (.25 being a small dose) so I've used it but not recreationally.

I'm scared to give up on the Zoloft before I've given it full time to set in. The suicidal thoughts could be from the meds, but if I don't give it a chance then I'll have to go through the cycle again.

classic added 111 Minutes and 34 Seconds later...

Also, I wouldn't want to remove the Klonopin script, but ask to increase it to 1.0 mgs. The anxious thoughts are constant and I need something for when they become horrible. The klonopin helps me day to day but I think I need xanax when the thoughts become unbearable. I don't want to be on a plethora of antidepressants considering I'm young, and I want to continue trying the Zoloft until I'm sure it's not for me. I'll give it two more weeks.

I see my pdoc next Tuesday. I wish I could sooner because I worry something bad could happen prior mentally

Last edited by classic; 15-11-2011 at 22:37. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 16-11-2011, 13:44
Silver Member

Call everyday and ask if there have been any cancellations. They might be able to accommodate you. I understand your desire not to be over medicated. I'm only 30 and I am on 6 different psychotropics, for various emotional problems and mental illness, ugh. (yes from one doctor)
Old 20-11-2011, 03:04

Male from United States
Endless Summer is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1

Quote:
I've recently been prescribed Zoloft and Klonopin for my anxiety and depression. It's been almost three weeks and I continue to have panic attacks and horribly depressive thoughts. I've actually made a suicide attempt (which nobody knows of). I don't want to discuss this with my psychiatrist at the risk of having to go into psychiatric care. The cause of the attempt was a depressive panic attack.
Now, with the zoloft I have these sexual side effects that make me last longer during sex, and sometimes not finish at all. Although it doesn't bother me, it bothers my partner.
I want to ask my psychiatrist to increase my Zoloft script from 25 to 50 mg and add a .5-1.0 mg Xanax script for these panic attacks. Would the increase in zoloft make sexual side effects worse? I'm worried for this reason.
Zoloft had "bad" sexual side effects for me too. If you are sexually active SSRIs might not be the thing for you unless you absolutely need them.

It increases ejaculation time, makes it harder, and lessens sex drive a bit at least I find so in the 100 mg - 200 mg range.

If you need them, then you need to cope with that or try drugs that might counteract that, but that is something to discuss with a doctor. It takes several weeks at least for SSRIs to kick into full effect.

There is a suicide risk with SSRIs too so do be careful and cognizant of that fact. If it continues I'd drop it like plague.

Benzos will help with panic attacks though, especially combined with SSRIs.

I'd highly recommend you evaluate the costs and benefits of SSRI usage. Most will give you the same sexual side effects though. I found that to be the case and dropped most of them relying on prescription stimulants and depressants for help as needed.

There are atypical antidepressants like Wellbutrin and maybe Strattera, but trying the former I found it made me extremely anxious and gave me bad fits of random tremors in the extremities (a little with SSRIs too).

Zoloft really helped self-confidence and mood though when on it. So I would say it is worth it if you absolutely need something.
Old 20-11-2011, 03:19
Titanium Member

Female from USA - Texas
alienesseINspace probably knows what they are talking about.alienesseINspace probably knows what they are talking about.alienesseINspace probably knows what they are talking about.alienesseINspace probably knows what they are talking about.alienesseINspace probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 1,123, Level: 5 Points: 1,123, Level: 5 Points: 1,123, Level: 5

I would research and ask the doctor about Lamotrigine for mood stabilizing. It has been very effective for me.

As for sexual dysfunction, research Bupropion, Cyproheptadine, and Nefazodone. I have not taken those three medications, but have been seeking ways to overcome the sexual side effects of my SSRI. A non-prescription treatment I read about is Gingko biloba.

Some people are prescribed stimulants as well. The physician can go over your options and tell you the risks and hopefully you'll be back to getting off!
Old 21-11-2011, 05:42

Male from United States

I was hospitalized for saying I had suicidal ideas. They took me off the klonopin which was of great benefit and the doctor in the psych ward switched me from zoloft 25mg to celexa 20mg. What sort of effect will this have?
When I speak to my regular psychiatrist, I'm going to try to get her to put me back on the klonopin so I can handle day to day personal interactions. I don't want them to be thinking I'm abusing my meds, and my doctor took me off the benzos cause I was young.
They were extremely beneficial. Is it a good idea to ask my original pdoc for this?
Old 22-11-2011, 04:06
Titanium Member

Female from USA - Texas
alienesseINspace probably knows what they are talking about.alienesseINspace probably knows what they are talking about.alienesseINspace probably knows what they are talking about.alienesseINspace probably knows what they are talking about.alienesseINspace probably knows what they are talking about.

Quote:
I was hospitalized for saying I had suicidal ideas. They took me off the klonopin which was of great benefit and the doctor in the psych ward switched me from zoloft 25mg to celexa 20mg. What sort of effect will this have?
When I speak to my regular psychiatrist, I'm going to try to get her to put me back on the klonopin so I can handle day to day personal interactions. I don't want them to be thinking I'm abusing my meds, and my doctor took me off the benzos cause I was young.
They were extremely beneficial. Is it a good idea to ask my original pdoc for this?
Long post ahead!

Celexa works well for me. I take 40mg of that daily which is the maximum dosage people should really take. I have not taken Zoloft. From my experience with SSRI's, I don't benefit from them alone. I have panic attacks and severe anxiety and that's why I also take clonazepam. The combination of the SSRI and the benzo did not help my rapid and extreme mood swings which later was diagnosed as bi-polar II. Lamictal was then prescribed to me next. It is what helps me to be rational before emotional. My goal is to change myself and get off the medication. By change myself, I mean balance my life so that depression, anxiety, and uncontrollable mood swings can be managed through rationalization with drugs.

If you have the money, it's not a bad idea to see your original psychiatrist and see if he will help you and listen to your symptoms. If you do not feel he is willing to help you, then move on to the next doctor. The first doctor I saw 6 years ago told me to "find Jesus." Yeah, seriously... very offensive thing to say to someone who is not a Christian!

My second doctor was great but my insurance ran out and I went without alprazolam and Effexor for almost two years.

My third doctor at my college's clinic put me on Lexapro and clonazepam but I was having psychotic episodes and yelling matches with my roommate. I would go days without talking to my girlfriend and even skip work and just go get a doctor's note.

Eventually I moved and got a job with good insurance and am with the doctor I have now. He is absolutely the best. He has allowed me to change medication when I told him how I was feeling and what symptoms I had.

Be honest with your doctor if you really want help. Lying is "drug seeking behavior" and doctors can read it right from the beginning.

I am now on Celexa and Lamictal daily. I take 2 to 6 mg of clonazepam depending on the panic issues I have (sometimes I have panic attacks while driving and in my sleep... and while working that seem like heart attacks). When I was a lot younger, I used benzos recreationally. I have lowered the frequency and amount and they actually work again. I told my current doctor about that and he understood that I was self medicating because I was trying not to have rage issues all the time.

My only complaint is that my sex drive isn't what it used to be. Masturbation was a nightly ritual before and between meds, and now I have zero libido. I am hesitant to take any more pharma meds just because I'm already on so many. One of the reasons I want to get off of mental meds is because I very much used to enjoy sex. My boyfriend thinks he's doing something wrong sometimes or that I'm not attracted anymore but that's not true at all.

Have you considered therapy along with medicine? It helps a lot of people but I'm a student of clinical psychology so therapy isn't useful for me. I know their methods. I am reading about meditation, healthy eating, trying to exercise, and am on birth control to see if my mood disorders are related to my menstrual issues. Homeopathic/natural healing is a great goal for anyone with any sort of personality or mood disorder that isn't severe like schizophrenia, fractured or multiple identities, or borderline personality disorder. If you use illicit drugs and alcohol to excess, that will impede progress. The only exception is marijuana. Marijuana can help some people and their conditions but is not helpful with others.

Anyhow, if you can, I'd like to know what you decide to do and how Celexa works out for you. Please update.

If you have any questions/comments, I'll be checking this thread.

Best wishes,
Old 22-11-2011, 05:48

Male from United States

Thankyou so much for your informational reply. I actually started therapy prior to medication, and my therapist recommended a psychiatrist. I'm scheduled to see her tomorrow and I'm going to discuss whether celexa is the proper antidepressant to be on as well as if she can help me with my severe anxiety. I'm hoping she can prescribe me both klonopin for the social, general, and panic attack forms of anxiety. If she doesn't, I don't know how I'll be able to live. The therapy sessions are helping only a little, and I need that boost to get me back to myself.

Last edited by Phenoxide; 27-11-2011 at 00:36. Reason: typo fixed
Old 23-11-2011, 01:48
Titanium Member

Female from USA - Texas

If you don't mind, I'd like to know how it goes. I am SO glad that you are allowing a therapist to *try* to help you first. The fact you didn't jump straight to drugs to get better legitimizes your will to get better to any psychiatrist you see.

When you go and get diagnosed, if it's not too personal, I am interested in what the psych has to say.

Good luck with the visit and don't be nervous. You're doing this to get well and you're doing the right thing.

Old 23-11-2011, 03:11
Palladium Member

32 y/o Female from Australia
iceflame really adds to the discussion.iceflame really adds to the discussion.iceflame really adds to the discussion.iceflame really adds to the discussion.iceflame really adds to the discussion.iceflame really adds to the discussion.
Points: 1,006, Level: 4 Points: 1,006, Level: 4 Points: 1,006, Level: 4
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%

Hi Classic,
Just wanted to add that there is a thread in the antidepressants forum, that is worth a read, in regards to citalopram.

It is an FDA warning directed at patients who take doses above 40mg.
AliensseINspace has posted there.

It is as follows...
Effects - FYI - Celexa (citalopram) FDA warning

I apologise as I'm yet to learn how to post links.
Arm yourself with information before you see your psych.
I wish you well. Ice.
Old 24-11-2011, 16:54
Gold Finger

chibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPAC
Points: 2,420, Level: 7 Points: 2,420, Level: 7 Points: 2,420, Level: 7
Activity: 5.5% Activity: 5.5% Activity: 5.5%

Sertraline may not be working yet after only 3 weeks, and 25 mg is a low dose. If your symptoms haven't gotten worse, there's no need to stop it yet. The sexual side effects may or may not go away, and they may get worse when you increase the dose or they may not. Sertraline worked very well at controlling my roommate's panic disorder.

Regarding the clonazepam, I would increase that rather than add alprazolam, but you'll benefit most from intensive behavioral therapy for the anxiety. If you don't feel the therapy you're getting is helping much, let your therapist know so she can change tactics.
Old 24-11-2011, 22:35

Male from United States

After having my Celexa for one day, paying for it and taking the first dose, I saw my pdoc. She immediately requested I recycle the celexa and prescribed me remeron and hydroxyzine. The hydroxyzine does absolutely nothing for my anxiety like she promised it would. I'm reluctant to even begin the remeron. I just want my meds to be stabilized so I can stay steady and happy.
Old 26-11-2011, 02:35
Titanium Member

Female from USA - Texas

Quote:
After having my Celexa for one day, paying for it and taking the first dose, I saw my pdoc. She immediately requested I recycle the celexa and prescribed me remeron and hydroxyzine. The hydroxyzine does absolutely nothing for my anxiety like she promised it would. I'm reluctant to even begin the remeron. I just want my meds to be stabilized so I can stay steady and happy.
Did you get a reason to stop Celexa? I'd like to know for my own sake.

What kind of symptoms aside from anxiety do you have? Rage? Depression? Psychosis?

Thanks for updating
Old 27-11-2011, 00:31

Male from United States

She didn't have any decent reasoning behind stopping the celexa. She just didn't agree with the inpatient doctor who prescribed it. Maybe it's because zoloft and celexa are practically the same thing.
Also, my two main symptoms have been anxiety and depression.
Old 27-11-2011, 01:08
Titanium Member

Female from USA - Texas

Quote:
She didn't have any decent reasoning behind stopping the celexa. She just didn't agree with the inpatient doctor who prescribed it. Maybe it's because zoloft and celexa are practically the same thing.
Also, my two main symptoms have been anxiety and depression.
Those are also my two main problems. Only recently did my doctor of two years decide to tell me he thinks I have ADHD as well.

I was put on an SSRI about 5 years ago. I also started off on 1 mg of alprazolam, then 2 years later and a different doctor, 3 mg of clonazepam, and then 2 years later with my current doctor I am up to 6 mg of clonazepam which is A LOT. I rarely take the entire amount because the efficacy of benzos lowers over time which I am sure you already know.

The SSRI and benzo made me feel "blah." I didn't want to do anything. I didn't give a crap about responsibilities.

Like Abilify, Lamictal is often added to stabilize the mood and those 3 meds together worked pretty well until I started working again and realized I was having big problems staying on task and focused. When I complained about work to my doctor, that's when he dropped the ADHD bomb on me.

I wasn't entirely convinced I have ADHD or that it even exists. If I were doing a job I enjoyed, I feel like I wouldn't be medicating myself as much.

When I took d-amphetamine or the generic form of Adderall, it completely made a difference. I am not recommending a BIG PHARMA cocktail, I am just sharing personal experience with the hope of possibly informing people of one possible path. When I took the d-amphetamine, it is hard to explain... my mood lifted, I wanted to do my boring job... I was cheerful.

With the mix of SSRI, benzos, stabilizer, and stimulant, I have not had any psychotic episodes. A psychotic episode in my recent past got me into A LOT of legal trouble which I am working hard to rectify.

Any doctor that will not listen to your symptoms and tailor your medication is probably not the right doctor.

One of my close friends was on her SSRI, benzos, stabilizer, and stimulant like me, but she was *still* feeling suicidal and unmotivated. She went into in-patient care and was told she was bi-polar II, not depressed with ADHD. Her medication regimen was switched to include Wellbutrin and Lithium. So far, I think she's doing much better.

One doctor's opinion is not going to cut it but stay hopeful and try to give the medication time to work.

Please let me know how you're doing via this thread or PM if you don't mind.

xoxo
Old 13-12-2011, 06:57

Male from United States

So I asked my psychiatrist to put me back on sertraline, which she agreed to. She also prescribed me Zyprexa 5mg nightly for my insomnia and anxiety. The Zyrexa has really helped with anxiety in my opinion, but makes me ridiculously hungry.
Old 18-12-2011, 03:20
Silver Member

Male from United States
Wyatt Burp is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 76, Level: 1 Points: 76, Level: 1 Points: 76, Level: 1

One thing most of us don't think about when things aren't working: we are health care consumers, and as such have every right to request or seek a different doctor. This would seem especially important with psychiatrists, as the relationship with them is quite intimate. So if you are not comfortable being fully open with your doctor, or do not agree that she is doing what is best, or even if the results aren't what you hoped for, it is absolutely okay to ask for a referral to someone else or find another doctor on your own. I don't know if this is the case here, but it is another option. But it is important to trust and be open with your doc if you expect to get the correct diagnosis and treatment.

Along those same lines, maybe you are bipolar (or suffering from some other condition)? When things weren't working for my friend, she went to another doc for an evaluation, and the diagnosis was different than what her first doc said. New diagnosis, new treatment, and finally relief. Again, maybe this doesn't apply here, but it is something to think about. In my own case, lithium did not improve my moods, and another doc subsequently told me it shouldn't have been expected to, as I was not bipolar like a previous doc had determined.

Finally, SSRIs can take quite some time to take effect, and the starting dose may not be enough. They usually start low, but will bump you up if necessary. Common SSRI wisdom is to be patient (as a patient, haha) and keep your doctor in the loop.

<amateur shrink mode>I think the word "cycle" was used somewhere here. If your moods really do go in discreet, discernible cycles, you might want to ask a professional about bipolar disorder. MDD tends to come and go, but not in regular cycles, and is more likely to creep up on you than hit you quickly in a way you can feel.
Old 21-12-2011, 17:09
Gold Finger

chibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPAC
Points: 2,420, Level: 7 Points: 2,420, Level: 7 Points: 2,420, Level: 7
Activity: 5.5% Activity: 5.5% Activity: 5.5%

Quote:
So I asked my psychiatrist to put me back on sertraline, which she agreed to. She also prescribed me Zyprexa 5mg nightly for my insomnia and anxiety. The Zyrexa has really helped with anxiety in my opinion, but makes me ridiculously hungry.
I feel I should point out olanzapine (use generic names when you can, btw) is notorious for causing weight gain, so unless you're naturally skinny or work out a lot, this is probably a bad choice. It's up to you if you're okay with what it's doing for your anxiety; if it works and the side effects don't bother you, stick with it.

Please tell your doctor about the suicidal thoughts, as well. They're not going to commit you just because you had some thoughts (I know this from personal experience) but they'll have a better understanding of what works and what doesn't. As I said, it may take a while for the sertraline to start working. It's hard to be patient when you feel like shit, but if you have to, make yourself a big poster that says "this, too, will pass" or whatever will help you get through the day.

Share this on:

Tags
adhd, alprazolam, antidepressant, antidepressants, anxiety, benzos, celexa, clonazepam, heart attack, hydroxyzine, klonopin, lamictal, panic attack, remeron, sertraline, sertraline side effects, sexual, sexual side effects, ssri, ssri side effects, ssris, wellbutrin, xanax, zoloft