Opiates & Opioids Opiates & Opioids.

Old 08-11-2011, 14:20
Silver Member

Female from Canada
LostControl is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 313, Level: 2 Points: 313, Level: 2 Points: 313, Level: 2
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%
Oxycontin changes coming to Canada ;(

The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Newfoundland and Labrador posted a noticed from Purdue on their website saying that the new OxyNEO will be replacing Oxycontin in Canada. A timeline for the rollout of the new drug hasn't been given yet. The new OxyNEO is tamper-resistant, forming a gel-like mass making crushing the pill for snorting or injection impossible.

As the patent for Oxycontin is running out soon, and generic manufacturers are going to be allowed to make Oxycontin, it doesn't surprise anyone that a "newer" formulation of Oxycontin is being made. Note that in the US they didn't give the drug a new name, but in Canada they have. That way, when doctors write a prescription for OxyNeo, it can't be substituted for the generic brand. In the US, if a doctor writes a prescription for Oxycontin, pharmacists can switch to the lower cost generic (when they come available).

Purdue isn't stupid - that's why they've waited until now, and given the drug a new name.
Looks like the days of using Oxycontin in Canada are almost over.
Old 02-12-2011, 22:51

Male from Canada
DJBast should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 187, Level: 2 Points: 187, Level: 2 Points: 187, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Oxycontin changes coming to Canada ;(

How about you use it the way it was intended to be used in the first place, that way Oxycontin usage in Canada and everywhere else will never be over. Nothing wrong with oral administration for both legitimate pain patients and for those who choose to abuse the medication.

Cheers..

Post Quality Evaluations:
This is not really helpful in the slightest.
Old 02-12-2011, 23:36
Silver Member

Female from Canada
LostControl is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 313, Level: 2 Points: 313, Level: 2 Points: 313, Level: 2
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBast View Post
How about you use it the way it was intended to be used in the first place, that way Oxycontin usage in Canada and everywhere else will never be over. Nothing wrong with oral administration ..(snip)...
I'm one of those strange people with severe digestion issues (IBD, diverticulosis), which makes digestion of the pills difficult. I've told my story before here at DF where I was having rectal pain, so I "reached in" and pulled out 5 undigested tablets that looked almost identical to the way they did going in. My doctor prescribed me OxyContin for about a year, and I filled it, but rarely took it (i had over 300 tablets i hadn't taken). One day, I had been reading all about how everyone was abusing oxy, so I decided to try crushing and snorting. I got a noseful of pain, sneezed about 5 minutes, and swore I'd never do anything stupid like that again. I went back to my computer, reading the news, when I realized for the first time in 8 years I was absolutely pain free! It was the most blessed, wonderful, amazing thing ever! Finally I had a way to relieve my pain!!! I've been crushing and snorting ever since- and I've now got 2 jobs, can spend time playing with my son at the park, walk him to and from school, etc, and don't spend most time in bed like I used to.
I could use instant release oxycodone, so all is not lost - ill just have to use a bunch. OxyContin was a nice convienient tablet, and I only had to snort 2 for (practically) instant relief. Now I'll have to take 8x20mg orally, and wait ? long to get the relief that I got before.

LostControl added 7 Minutes and 25 Seconds later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBast View Post
How about you use it the way it was intended to be used in the first place
also, many patients in the US reported stomach pain, vomiting "slime" or "gel" from the new formula. Pt.s also complained not to get as much pain relief from the new drug, and there are numerous reports from the US of doctors doubling doses for patients. A few pharmacist friends of mine said some docs automatically doubled the number of tabs for all oxy pt.s.

Last edited by LostControl; 02-12-2011 at 23:38. Reason: Auto-correct does some wacky stuff!
Old 02-12-2011, 23:40
Research Chemicals Forum
Super Moderator

Male from United Kingdom
Phenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond reputePhenoxide is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 19,869, Level: 20 Points: 19,869, Level: 20 Points: 19,869, Level: 20
Activity: 29.6% Activity: 29.6% Activity: 29.6%

Wouldn't a history of documented digestive issues be valid grounds for continuing to prescribe the soon-to-be off-patent instant release formulations, especially to someone that is already on a repeat prescription as opposed to a patient seeking a new prescription?

Share this on:

Tags
analgesic, canada, drug, narcotic, opiate, opioid, oxycontin, oxyneo