Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery > Opiate addiction
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Opiate addiction Support for coping with Opiate addiction and Opiate addiction treatment.

Old 29-10-2011, 04:14
Silver Member

Female from United States
Ggeo is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 84, Level: 1 Points: 84, Level: 1 Points: 84, Level: 1
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%
Gabapentin aka Neurontin for Oxycodone Withdrawal WORKS!

My dog's been lurking here for a few days. Actually that's just this time. She's been here many times however pretty much ...NO, only comes here when she's in withdrawal from Oxycodone. SHe's never posted though.*

My mutt's on Day 5 of no opiates coming off an 80-100mg a day Oxycodone habit she's had for 2-1/2 years. She got hooked after a hysterectomy she had for ovarian cancer. She continued to use Oxycodone throughout chemo NOT for pain but for the elevated mood, energy and that "I don't even care that I have cancer! And I have no hair, eyelashes or eyebrows" feeling it gave her. She doesn't regret it either.*

However, of course that love affair had to end. No reason to go over why. We all know why. This is my dog's seventh attempt at quitting in the past year and a half. * *

*She's sure this has been covered ad nauseum, however she thought she'd bring it up again because frankly, she still doesn't think enough people (or other dogs) are aware of it. Maybe bumping this information may help someone else's dog who is suffering right now from opiate withdrawal....

My dog's first 6 withdrawals were absolute hell..She won't bother going into it here because we all know what it was like. Shes old too.. and chemo did a number on her health so she doesn't bounce back from stuff easily anymore, that's for sure.

Well for this withdrawal she did a little more research and came across some information on Gabapentin aka Neurontin helping with opiate withdrawal symptoms. My dog remembered that she was scripted a bottle of this for chemo induced neuropathy and had used it for such during chemotherapy. Please note this as well; she quit Gabapentin cold turkey after being on it for 6 montages and suffered NO withdrawal of any sort.*

So on the first day of Oxycodone withdrawal, 5 days ago, she took 800 mgs. This was twice her recommended dosage. She'd read you'll undoubtedly need more than the normal dosage. She felt nothing for 2 hours but she had read it takes a long time to kick in. Holy shit! It messed her up so bad she couldn't really see straight or walk straight and it made her pass out for TEN HOURS. Woke up feeling strung out but NO WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS. WTF? Really?! And who sleeps AT ALL on their first day in w/d? Fuck! My dog won't sleep for months after detox.

Later that evening she began to feel withdrawals. (this was 5 days ago with an opiate muddled brain so her timeline may be a bit off) *Popped another 800 mgs. Bam! Same thing happened again...

Long story short, today is Day 5 of no Oxyodone and though she has had to increase her dosage up to 1600 mgs twice a day she has had VERY FEW WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS! She even got up this morning really early, showered, put make-up on (!!!!), and went and rode her horse for four hours in the forest today with two other friends. Funny seeing a dog wearing make-up riding a horse.

The only side effects so far are bloating and an increased appetite. This is the first time she's been able to eat ANYTHING at all during the first week of w/d. She's actually been pigging out bigtime...

Needless to say this experience has been nothing short of amazing for her. My dog's "talked" with other many other dogs over the past couple of days on the Internet about this phenomenon and was able to ascertain *that it may also be a great aid in getting her through PAWS which is what always drove her back to opiate abuse. She's super stoked about this possibility.

She also "spoke" with a few folks who stayed on it and swear it's a mood enhancer.

Anyway, that's her little story on Gabapentin, which is aka Neurontin. Its also a super inexpensive drug too! * Frankly my dog and I think it's a wonder drug for opiate withdrawal. Right now only on Day 5 of withdrawal and she's feeling great! We honestly cannot get over this. It's a damn miracle. *** * * * * * * * * * * *

Post Quality Evaluations:
Thanks for sharing this! Keep us posted.
For sharing a personal experience in detail, with a treatment combination not covered elsewhere on DF
Thanks for sharing this experience report! Sure to help others in the future! :)
Old 29-10-2011, 04:42
Palladium Member

Female from USA - Washington
sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.
Points: 1,697, Level: 6 Points: 1,697, Level: 6 Points: 1,697, Level: 6
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Gabapentin aka Neurontin for Oxycodone Withdrawal WORKS!

Just wanted to congrats your mutt on thus far, the survival of the ovarian C. It is truly a blessing worth celebrating, as survival rates remain low.
I am in my 20th year in remission, from a diagnosed Stage 3, 13% survival rate for 5 years, experience myself.
I did not personally use any drugs beyond what I was given in the hospital during my surgeries, treatment, etc. I ate the hell out of whatever anti nausea med they were giving me, though!
To address your post , even though I have no personal experience, I do have a friend who has neuropathy, and has played all hell trying to get pain meds. Every doctor seems really gun-shy and tell her to go to a pain management clinic.
However, she has found success with Neurontin and Tramadol, to a degree.
She does have a preference for opiates, and when she cant get them, she normally will be quite ill.
Not so since starting those 2 drugs.
So I think this drug has some real potential, but I am betting it has been studied and trialed already, and surely there must be results available on the web.
In fact, *you / your mutt may also qualify for some of the research studies currently being conducted across the U.S., I seem to often run across those looking for people with opiate addictions, to try their latest anti-withdrawal drugs.
Again, my empathetic toast to your mutt, and best of luck!
Old 31-10-2011, 17:03
Silver Member

28 y/o Male from United States
ChiselD is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 73, Level: 1 Points: 73, Level: 1 Points: 73, Level: 1

I have also found that Gabapentin is a miracle drug when it comes to opiate withdrawals...even a dose as small as 300mg can help me with most of the more severe problems one encounters with opiate w/d...it's not an opiate, so don't expect this to be like suboxone or methadone...but it sure as hell beats cold turkey. Wish I had a better source for them myself, as I am only lucky to be "gifted" these a couple times a month...good luck with your detox, I am doing the same thing, except I've been using bupe to help me(ran out of gaba )
Old 23-11-2011, 14:34
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from Australia
Tigey really adds to the discussion.Tigey really adds to the discussion.Tigey really adds to the discussion.Tigey really adds to the discussion.Tigey really adds to the discussion.Tigey really adds to the discussion.Tigey really adds to the discussion.
Points: 1,034, Level: 4 Points: 1,034, Level: 4 Points: 1,034, Level: 4
Activity: 4.3% Activity: 4.3% Activity: 4.3%

I'm sorry to rain on your parade a bit here, but quitting gabapentin cold turkey is a really stupid idea.

I'm epileptic. Not badly so - I'm really lucky compared with most people suffering from epilepsy, but enough that when I get really sick (like when I had chronic fatigue syndrome + fibromyalgia in my teens) my seizure threshold drops and I suffer fits, absence seizures and blackouts. My last seizure was more than 7 years ago, and this was from the stress of walking in on my 'best friend' giving my ex-fiancee a 'chest massage', and trying to deal with the fallout maturely and on the spot.

Skipping forward, this year I was put on Gabapentin and I loved it. After all, when you've tried everything else for trigeminal neuralgia and are developing cauda equina syndrome, having a drug working on neuropathic pain (by dampening impulses) is fairly awesome.

I loved gabapentin.

Until one day, having travelled the night home from a trip before and slept in, then fumbled around because my pill boxes had been made up for the trip and taken on the trip, so I was pulling stuff out of packs. I took all my pills that morning, had friends over, had lunch and headed out to church. I didn't realise I'd missed a dose. Not my first dose of the day, but my second. I was on 600mg four times a day. Next thing I know, I'm coming round from a 50 minute long seizure, drooling slightly, and I've really, really fucked my back up. Because sitting on pews even with memory foam + pillows isn't great in my condition at the best of times. I've since had a couple of dozen seizures, even though now I take gabapentin by setting alarms. Doses don't vary by more than a few minutes. Sure, I'm wiped out through chronic pain and exhaustion, but gabapentin is the 'reason' they're even happening.

Even if you've never had a seizure before, gabapentin puts you at risk of it. It lowers the seizure threshold. It thus makes you susceptible to it not so much by triggering a seizure in itself, but by letting your body trigger it's own. This can be a permanent effect in some people - eg. your bodies' natural safeguards against seizures are less effective. It's idiotic to assume that because you're in perfect health you'll never have a seizure - if you are. One of my friends died from a seizure while we were at the pub. He'd been fine all his life, had a grand mal seizure and smashed his head into the bar as he fell, and never came round. That could happen to one of your friends, or one of you.

That's why I've slowly, slowly tapered back down to 4x300mg/day, about the best balance between pain and function for the gabapentin part of my med schedule. Please, please taper, and slowly. I was advised to taper 100mg of one dose every 5 days as the fastest safe taper (300mg of one dose every 7 days if no seizure history). While it's incredibly hard to OD on gabapentin, OD isn't all you should worry about. There are a few withdrawal risks of gabapentin too. Treat it with the same caution you'd treat benzo's and acute alcohol detox

To quote from the medical journal 'Bipolar Disorders' in 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tran,K. et al
Gabapentin is widely utilized currently for the chronic treatment of recalcitrant migraines, bipolar illness, pain, and epilepsy. It has a wide therapeutic index with few side effects and drug interactions, is not hepatically metabolized, and is excreted by the kidneys. Past reports have suggested that some withdrawal symptoms can present after 12 days upon abrupt discontinuation of gabapentin after chronic use within young to middle-aged patients. These symptoms mimic that of alcohol and benzodiazepine withdrawal purportedly due to a similar mechanism of action. Unique to this case is that this geriatric patient developed debilitating withdrawal symptoms after a gradual, week-long taper of gabapentin along with flu-like symptoms. It is proposed herein that a gabapentin taper should follow a course similar to that of a benzodiazepine taper slowly and over a period of weeks to months.
In Australia gabapentin for chronic pain isn't on the Pharmaceutical Benefits Schedule (PBS) so if you're not taking it for epilepsy, you're paying $85 for a box of 300mg tablets, or $132 (neurontin, my last script) for a box of 600mg tablets. It's an expensive med, but because it works on nerve pain specifically, it can be massively effective. The only alternative to gabapentin is the newer pregabalin, and it is my understanding that you'd usually fully taper off one and then onto the other.

Now, coming to my main point, I believe your reason for neuontin worked for your oxycodone withdrawal isn't what you believe it to be.

According to a study published in Pain in 1997, called "Gabapentin enhances the antinociceptive effects of spinal morphine in the rat tail-flick test" and undertaken by Shimoyamaa, M., Shimoyamaa, N., Inturrisia, C.E. and Elliotta, K.J.,

Quote:
The antinociceptive effects of the combination of spinal morphine and gabapentin were evaluated in the tail-flick test in rats. The intrathecal coadministration of a subantinociceptive dose of morphine at 0.2 μg and gabapentin at 300 μg produced significant antinociception. Pretreatment with spinal gabapentin at 300 μg shifted the dose-response curve of spinal morphine to the left with a decrease in morphine ED50 value from 1.06 μg to 0.34 μg. The antinociceptive effects produced by the combination of a subantinociceptive dose of morphine and gabapentin were reversed by spinal naloxone at 30 μg but were not reversed by spinal bicuculline at 0.3 μg. Furthermore, the concurrent administration of spinal naloxone at 30 μg with the combination of morphine and gabapentin blocked antinociception, while the concurrent administration of spinal bicuculline at 0.3 μg failed to prevent antinociception. These results indicate that the combination of spinal gabapentin and morphine produces an enhancement of antinociception that appears to involve the spinal mu opioid receptors. Furthermore, repeated administration of gabapentin for 3 days did not affect the enhancing effect of gabapentin on the antinociceptive effect of morphine, indicating that tolerance did not develop to gabapentin's ability to enhance morphine antinociception.
Antinociceptive means reducing sensitivity to pain/painful stimuli. In March 1987, in the journal 'Brain Research', Wilcox et al. published a study called 'Mutual potentiation of antinociceptive effects of morphine and clonidine on motor and sensory responses in rat spinal cord'.

So clonidine, being fairly famous in withdrawal, has some of the same effects in conjunction with morphine as gabapentin. Possibly it potentiates the effect of the opiates in a way that makes your body think it has had more of the oxycontin. Sadly, I'm not a pharmaceutical biochemist! Possibly it works the same way clonidine does. But bearing in mind clonidine's much safer side effect profile, I'd be using that instead. It's less expensive and easier to get hold of.

The reason gabapentin is used for bipolar is that like tegretol, it totally sledgehammers your mental function. It's hard to be down (or up) if your brain feels like it's gotten hung over, been wrapped in cotton wool and stored on a shelf in formaldehyde. It's not just like clonidine (though I had a bad reaction to that too). On clonidine, you might struggle to get out of bed because of low blood pressure, while on gabapentin you might struggle to remember how to get out of bed. There were certainly times I did, when increasing dose.

Quote:
It messed her up so bad she couldn't really see straight or walk straight and it made her pass out for TEN HOURS.
It seems it had a similar effect on someone who isn't Ggeo.

But looking at results of randomised controlled trials on the US NIH Clinical Trials website, gabapentin didn't reduce the need for post-treatment opiates to any statistically significant degree (raised it first day in comparison to control group, lowered it on 2nd day). There is currently a study at Cedars-Sinai enrolling participants by invitation only looking into exactly the question of the post though, called "Oral Clonidine & Gabapentin: Improving Recovery and Pain Management After Outpatient With Major Orthopedic Surgery". It appears it is still underway, and no data or results have been published yet.

The only study I've found on withdrawal effects in particular, namely by Martinez-Raga, J. et al. says:

Quote:
Gabapentin is an antiepileptic drug shown to be effective in the treatment of pain disorders and appears to be useful as well for several psychiatric disorders, including bipolar disorder, anxiety disorders, alcohol withdrawal and cocaine dependence. Gabapentin, at a dose of 600 mg three times a day, was evaluated as an add-on medication to a standard detoxification regime in seven heroin dependent individuals undergoing outpatient opiate withdrawal treatment. All seven patients successfully completed opiate detoxification and commenced opiate antagonist treatment with naltrexone on day five of withdrawal treatment, as scheduled. No adverse event was noted. Gabapentin appeared to lead a reduction in symptomatic medication and an overall beneficial effect on symptoms of heroin withdrawal.
The issue with this is that seven Spanish patients is a fairly small study. Usually in trials you want ~60 people to make really meaningful, conclusive data about significant stuff (this is a massive generalisation). Without borrowing someone's uni login, I'm unable to find out if this study had a control, what the control population method was (eg. placebo, active placebo) etc.

Giving people sugar pills and telling them they're a new drug formulated to treat opiate withdrawal decreases the withdrawal symptom intensity, too!

Also, a study in Addiction in 2008 called 'Effect of add-on gabapentin on opioid withdrawal symptoms in opium-dependent patients' (by Kheirabadi, G.R., Ranjkesh, M., Maracy, M.R. and Salehi, M. in Tehran, Iran) found:

Quote:
DESIGN:
A 3-week double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial of adjunctive gabapentin in methadone-assisted detoxification (MAD).

SETTING:
Specialized Addictive Behaviors Unit, an out-patient unit for the treatment of patients with an addictive disorder serving the city of Isfahan (Iran).

PARTICIPANTS:
Forty out-patients, 37 males and three females, aged 21-61 years, who met DSM-IV criteria for opiate dependence.

INTERVENTION:
Random assignment of subjects to receive adjunctive treatment with either gabapentin (900 mg/day) or placebo under double-blind conditions.

MEASUREMENTS:
Severity of subjective withdrawal symptoms using the Subjective Opiate Withdrawal Scale at six stages.

FINDINGS:
Despite the superiority of gabapentin on controlling some of withdrawal symptoms, no significant differences were reported between two groups.

CONCLUSIONS:
Dosage of 900 mg/day of gabapentin is not significantly superior to placebo in controlling opiate withdrawal symptoms.
So whether gabapentin is working as gabapentin and gabapentin's side effects are mitigating opiates, or pseudo-pleasurable to opiate withdrawal users, or there's a placebo effect, or there's a potentiation effect of opiates or just a reduction in side effects isn't clearly established by any means.

The 14% opiate potentiation figure by gabapentin is a weird one. In an Erowid experience 'study', one person found that food + a full glass of fruit juice increased gabapentin potentiation by 14%. I can't find that figure anywhere else and would love a reference for it. Adding a few more useful bits of info.

As I'm maybe having a spinal fusion and on gabapentin, try 'Gabapentin use in pediatric spinal fusion patients: a randomized, double-blind, controlled trial.' by Rusy et. al.

Quote:
BACKGROUND:
Gabapentin has opioid-sparing effects in adult surgical patients, but no reported studies have involved children and adolescents. In a double-blind, randomized, controlled trial, we examined whether gabapentin decreases postoperative opioid consumption for pediatric spinal fusion patients with idiopathic scoliosis.

METHODS:
Patients, aged 9 to 18 years, received preoperative gabapentin (15 mg/kg, treatment) or placebo. Anesthesia was standardized. After surgery, all patients received standardized patient-controlled analgesia opioid and continued on either gabapentin (5 mg/kg) or placebo 3 times per day for 5 days. Opioid use was calculated in mg/kg/time intervals. Pain scores and opioid side effects were recorded.

RESULTS:
Data from 59 patients (30 placebo and 29 gabapentin) did not differ in demographics. Total morphine consumption (mg/kg/h +/- SD) was significantly lower in the gabapentin group in the recovery room (0.044 +/- 0.017 vs 0.064 +/- 0.031, P = 0.003), postoperative day 1 (0.046 +/- 0.016 vs 0.055 +/- 0.017, P = 0.051), and postoperative day 2 (0.036 +/- 0.016 vs 0.047 +/- 0.019, P = 0.018). In addition, gabapentin significantly reduced first pain scores in the recovery room (2.5 +/- 2.8 vs 6.0 +/- 2.4, P < 0.001) and the morning after surgery (3.2 +/- 2.6 vs 5.0 +/- 2.2, P < 0.05), but otherwise pain scores were not significantly different. There were no differences in opioid-related side effects over the course of the study.

CONCLUSION:
Perioperative oral gabapentin reduced the amount of morphine used for postoperative pain after spinal fusion surgery, but not overall opioid-related side effects. Initial pain scores were lower in the treatment group. Perioperative use of gabapentin seems to be an effective adjunct to improve pain control in the early stages of recovery in children and adolescents undergoing spinal fusion.
As far as 'Gabapentin for the treatment of cancer-related pain syndromes' (literature review):

Quote:
RESULTS:
Recent studies showed effectiveness of gabapentin in improving the pain control in patients with neuropathic cancer pain, already treated with opiates. Moreover, gabapentin appeared promising in reducing the need for high total doses of opioids and avoiding unplanned treatment interruptions for patients with head and neck malignancies treated with radiotherapy or concurrent chemoradiotherapy. Furthermore, the combination of gabapentin and morphine has been shown to effect better pain relief at lower doses of each drug when compared with gabapentin or morphine alone in patients with painful diabetic neuropathy or postherpetic neuralgia. The combination of both drugs was associated with a beneficial effect on pain-related interference with daily activity, mood, sleep and quality of life.

CONCLUSIONS:
Given the significant benefits of gabapentin and the combination of gabapentin with opioids for the treatment of neuropathic pain, randomized clinical trials are needed to establish the role of these analgesic regimens for the treatment of neuropathic cancer pain.
And gabapentin was deemed to have greater efficacy than lorazepam when used as a treatment for alcohol withdrawal (which has some similarities to opiate withdrawal) in a study by Myrick, H. et al called 'A double-blind trial of gabapentin versus lorazepam in the treatment of alcohol withdrawal:

Quote:
Gabapentin was well tolerated and effectively diminished the symptoms of alcohol withdrawal in our population especially at the higher target dose (1200 mg) used in this study. Gabapentin reduced the probability of drinking during alcohol withdrawal and in the immediate postwithdrawal week compared to lorazepam.
In my opinion it's certainly worth watching gabapentin as a potential opiate withdrawal facilitator, but if you have any incidence of seizures in your or your relative's medical history, I'd stay far away. Other studies caution against the use of gabapentin as an adjunct medication in ambulatory settings, warning that it can cause extreme dizziness.

This is possibly the longest post I've ever done, but while I'm not convinced that gabapentin is a safe and effective way to treat opiate withdrawal, it certainly looks like it may have some benefits in some settings when used correctly. It looks like (according to my readings on various sources) gabapentin works much better in patients where there is real naturopathic pain than in situations where it is being used to treat withdrawal without a chronic or acute neuropathic pain component.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGeo
She also "spoke" with a few folks who stayed on it and swear it's a mood enhancer.
Gabapentin's effects on the brain are well known, as is the incidence of depression among chronic pain patients and among populations who're in recovery from major surgery. It's likely that the 'mood enhancing' you refer to is actually a dampening of the experience of depression. I'm not saying this with certainty, just with some knowledge of clinical psychology and psychiatry.

To wrap up (because I've written a book instead of post) - as usual, even if you have a recreational opiate habit rather than one as a result of chronic pain and under treatment by a physician, I'd advise seeing a doctor before starting opiate withdrawal. Talk to him/her about the options of having clondine, gabapentin, seroquel or whatever your drug of withdrawal choice is, and if you want to, look at methodone/suboxone.

I found fentanyl cold turkey a long and difficult road. 14 days minus 5 hours, I'm pretty much sleeping when I get tired enough to have a seizure to knock me out, or when I take enough (prescribed) benzos and skeletal muscle relaxants or seroquel. Oxycontin withdrawal is a road I'm still on, also difficult.

I advise having the support of anyone you can trust, and who isn't addicted to anything stronger than caffeine when you detox. Multi-step programs such as Narcotics Anonymous and alternatives such as Rational Recovery are there to help people like us. Most of us have more stigma about them in our own minds than we'll ever experience by attenting a programme like that in person.

It's also worth having a plan if you're quitting. 'What next?' is a question that many of us didn't ask the first time we fought and addiction and felt we'd won. We relapsed. Knowing what you're doing instead of drugs - planning - is something that there are a few useful posts about here on DF. Even if you just decided to quit one day (even right now), make plans for the future. Thinking about the drugs you're not doing, instead of 'just living', isn't a particularly healthy place to be longer term.

As usual on my longest posts, I'd love feedback - positive or negative. Too long? Too waffly? Too boring? Useful? Let me know. The rating system is so useful here, and I've noticed that people go through patches where they'll blitz some posts and then forget about others. I'm not after reputation - I'm fairly new here and will to get to know people over time, assuming I don't accidentally infract in a major way . But I would like to know if I've wasted 3 hours! Feel free to use PM or VM if you want to ask me anything or leave private feedback.

Very informative in its scope and references towards using gabapentin as a possibility for withdraws.
Very thorough and well researched
Extremely informative, well-sourced post
Essential and thorough safety information backed up with EVIDENCE. Who doesn't love posts like these? Awesome, if not a little frightening.
I have experienced this phenom of using gabapentin for roxycodone withdrawal and it works! Very informative and comforting.
Old 26-11-2011, 02:05
Mercury Member

26 y/o Male from United States
pup555 needs to UTFSE some more before posting.
Points: 188, Level: 2 Points: 188, Level: 2 Points: 188, Level: 2

Too much for me to read..but that's me.

I am on Gabapentin for the nerve damage in my back. I take 900 mg a day for the past 3 years. Was up to 1,500 MG a day but dropped down and it gave me side effects if i forgot to take some. Want to get off of it one day but it seems to be helping my nerve pain in my back..never knew it was used for this as well

please don't quote whole posts - especially if it's to say they're too long!
Please don't quote entire posts, only quote the relevant parts. Don't post just to say "I didn't read your post" - that's rude.

Last edited by Alfa; 07-12-2011 at 14:50. Reason: removed quote
Old 26-11-2011, 07:39
Silver Member

30 y/o Male from United States
chukbzle is a decent psychonaut.

yea my cat detoxed (1 of many) yrs ago and had an allergic reaction to lyrica( structurally similar and pretty much same thing as gabapentin but left it alone cuz it was a really bad reaction.

Then a few months ago my cat detoxed and was put on gabapentin (no allergies to that one)and it really does help ALOT. theres really more hope then ppl will admit.addicts tend to think stuff doesnt "work" if they cant get a "feeling" but sometimes the goal is to get better and not search for another thing to rely on or be addicted to(hopefully for those who want it) .

Whenever someones ready it can be done at a pretty quick rate.Just like 1st post had all sorts of medical problems but got thru them well and was able to get use from a useful med.

It seems most ppl blame the sick feeling but who hasnt been sick badly at least 1nce?
Its the mental thats so bad and if you use subs or methadone,try to use short as possible.Although it sux buttcrack to do..ANYTHING.in detox.You can speed through it!
My cat's tried using street drugs andor more recreational drugs and just detoxed to another habit then went back to opiates cuz the cat did nothing to battle the addiction to relying on drugs.so going back seemed to make sense( like some say if ima hurt myself ima at least do it my way) I think gabapentin does need WAY more respect as help.

Out of all these dif detoxes ,the cat ended up taking gabapentin(most helpful) ,clonidine (only first few days is really needed )a non narcotic muscle relaxer and just some basic supplements like 5htp,magnesium,multi-vitamin,aminos,minerals, and lots of healthy food and everytime the cat would be sitting there craving ,hed get right up take a hot shower and went for walks at 1st and worked towards a full workout.

when cat did this he could not believe how easy it was after about a week or two(usually took 3months minimum other times) the gabapentin was great cuz it made him able to be more active, get out more and can honestly say after getting way healthier was in way less pain and 110% happier than when kitty was doing 20-45 30mg oxys a day.

there was no true "addiction" with gabapentin so didnt even notice a weak long taper.
I love these stories(1st post) ,because although life wont have that super easy exit feel we get from drugs .you will feel better when ur brain releases all those endorphins,hormones,serotonin,and dopamine..etc. naturally. Youlll have truly earned it and thats a good start to healthy thinking.

I mean my cat can smoke pot till it knocks him out ,but even MJ being 1 of the milder drugs,his cat still got addicted to being knocked out which made falling asleep natural a real pain in the ass.

Im not tellin ANYone what to do.i just know it worked for my cat and just "1" month he looked totally diferent ,happy,witty,and seemed almost naturally high just enjoying having real substance in his life.

If you are in detox u may just wanna give gabapentin a shot cuz it can save you if you let it(ive heard many ppl succeed with this particular med and sometimes nothing at all but a thirst for life.its very helpful but not a crutch really.

Very helpful! Thanks for sharing this experience report!
Thanks for sharing on the healing effects of gabapentin on opiate addiction
Old 26-11-2011, 08:19
Silver Member

Male from Earth
Herbs&Hopes is on the way upHerbs&Hopes is on the way upHerbs&Hopes is on the way up
Points: 579, Level: 3 Points: 579, Level: 3 Points: 579, Level: 3
Activity: 3.4% Activity: 3.4% Activity: 3.4%

My doctors and physciatrist are convinced I am stoned out of my mind all the time because I am on gabapentin 1200 3x daily, plus oxycontin. I barely every noticed any effect on my brain capacity from it plus the opioid, though likely because I spent the 3-4 years prior managing such high pain levels, when they finally dropped a bit it was like a massive fog had been lifted and I understood jokes again, plus could tolerace laughing physicially.

Still they (psychiatrist moreso) is convinced I am blasted 24/7. I informed him that the body becomes accustomed to doses of meds, especially when taken for months striaght, he feverishly refuted that claim, though has no personal experience, like the majority of the lot of them, so fuck it. All tests show me thinking fine, considering.

Very glad gabapentin works on your withdrawals, maybe the gabapentin is why I can easily go 12-18 hours before feeling any withdrawal? Althoguh when I was on fentanyl and gabapentin I was in hard withdrawal by hour 6 so may jus tbe chemistry.
Old 26-11-2011, 11:09
Nomen est Omen

51 y/o Male from USA - Colorado
St Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline MedlineSt Dismas Novitiate must mainline Medline
Points: 5,248, Level: 10 Points: 5,248, Level: 10 Points: 5,248, Level: 10
Activity: 15.6% Activity: 15.6% Activity: 15.6%

So, while gabapentin is similar to Lyrica (with Lyrica being stronger), has anyone noticed the same, or similar, effects regarding withdrawl sickness with Lyrica as opposed to Neurontin? (sp)

What about opiates other than oxycodone, will gaba be as effective with them as it is with oxycodone?

Specifically Fentanyl-Tigey, perhaps you could offer further experience-driven advice on this issue?
Old 29-11-2011, 17:50
Silver Member

Female from United States
Ggeo is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 84, Level: 1 Points: 84, Level: 1 Points: 84, Level: 1
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%

Hi, it's the OP here...well, I tapered myself down to 300mgs every evening and just quit the Gabapengin. It's been 4 days and I have felt no withdrawal symptoms from stopping it. I started at around 1600mgs, some days taking even more and was on it this time for around 5 weeks. This is the 3rd or 4th time I have quit Gabapentin and each time have had no symptoms. But that's just me I guess..

On the good side here it's been almost 5 weeks since I've had any opiates!! (My DOC was Oxycodone) And, as usual, the Gaba whizzed me through the Acute physical withdrawal right into my usual second phase; kind of a dull flat bored joyless feeling. And the cravings are here now. Yesterday I really really wanted some Oxy.

Not sure about everyone else but I always have a kind of "honeymoon phase" when I first ct from Oxy. Meaning I absolutely don't want any...however after around 4 weeks my cravings return. Here's when my addict brain always convinces me life would be so much more fun if I just had some today. I'd just
take it today ONLY. To get through some all day boring task and being high
again would make it so much better! Or, how it takes away a hangover! Or, would just make a good day better!

Anyway, this time was different. I made sure I told all three of my Drs to NOT refill my script. My PC physician finally got it..I have never obtained Oxy illegally and wouldn't have the foggiest notion of how to do so anyway. So I have NO ACCESS. This has made all the difference this time. I admit I would have used three times in the last week! But having NO way of procuring more pills has truly been the only way I am still clean today. Sad but true.

Anyway, the Gabapentin worked for getting me through the worst of the withdrawals....
Old 30-11-2011, 07:44
Silver Member

30 y/o Male from United States
chukbzle is a decent psychonaut.

its not most ppls DOC but if u have NO ACCESS to pain meds and u need, my cat would go to grocery store and rinse poppy seeds thru a 2litre (just look up how much potency varies if interested.

if you get a bunch of poppy seeds-the grey/blueish ones- (my cat started at half pound and worked to 2lbs )which sounds big and can be,so always be cautious but its mainly morphine with a tad bit codeine(and others in way smaller amounts but most arent too active.
the tea worked good while detoxing off oxys with gabapentin and the seed tea will last longer and is great for emergencys like when a whole country is short on oxy lol(US has been crazy)

A friend was in florida and he helped a friend with rides a lot and took a week to find ANY 30mg or 15mg oxy/roxicodone at any pharmacy, and ended up findin one place out of a lil over 80 dif places.

maybe this will suck for those who need(but most legit scripts get accounted for.its the doc shoppers throwin it off balance).but this may make ppl who take for fun a chance to get away and see more to life if they cant find the meds.then some will look to try these other things that truly help as well.

Gabapentin worked terrific for myself when used for burning painful nerve damage in my spine,pain meds only made it worse cuz they leached out nutrition badly ,but gabapentin allowed me to heal good enough where aleve is all i need.
It really helped mood and when i was on pain meds for kidney stones ,gabapentin helped the transition off any other meds and never needed very high of a dose either.

Using one strong opiate to detox off another strong opiate is just replacing one addiction for another. This is just a taper with opiate replacement due to shortage, explained badly.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:14
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Male from Australia
Tigey really adds to the discussion.Tigey really adds to the discussion.Tigey really adds to the discussion.Tigey really adds to the discussion.Tigey really adds to the discussion.Tigey really adds to the discussion.Tigey really adds to the discussion.
Points: 1,034, Level: 4 Points: 1,034, Level: 4 Points: 1,034, Level: 4
Activity: 4.3% Activity: 4.3% Activity: 4.3%

Thanks for the feedback! Glad it's been useful to people. Anyhow, forgot to add to that post that for me, gabapentin didn't help at all (to my knowledge) with fentanyl withdrawals (with a dose in the 900-1800 range for neurontin), but it's hard to tell because I'm not volunteering to quit the gabapentin, then re-dose to 100mcg/hour patches just so I can find out!
Old 02-12-2011, 03:12
Mercury Member

26 y/o Male from United States
pup555 needs to UTFSE some more before posting.
Points: 188, Level: 2 Points: 188, Level: 2 Points: 188, Level: 2

Watch out for Gabapentin...i have been on it for 3 years now...if i miss a does..i can't sleep...get real jumpy ect...almost like it's own withdrawals.

pup555 added 1 Minutes and 35 Seconds later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pup555 View Post
Watch out for Gabapentin...i have been on it for 3 years now...if i miss a does..i can't sleep...get real jumpy ect...almost like it's own withdrawals.
Said to have withdrawals like benzos and booze...just so you all know

Last edited by pup555; 02-12-2011 at 03:12. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Share this on:

Tags
addicted, addiction, alcohol, alcohol withdrawal, antinociception, bipolar disorder, caution, chronic pain, clinical trials, clonidine, detoxification, drug, drug addiction, drugs, epilepsy, fentanyl, gabapentin, iran, journal, lorazepam, lyrica, methadone, morphine, neurontin, neuropathic pain, opiate, opiate addiction, opiate withdrawal, oxycodone, oxycontin, pain management, pharmaceutical, placebo, potentiation, recovery, seizure threshold, seroquel, struggle, suboxone, taper, withdrawal symptoms, withdrawals