Register Tags

Notices

Old 27-10-2011, 21:55

26 y/o Male from Canada
rofl227 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 40, Level: 1 Points: 40, Level: 1 Points: 40, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Hand is numb after injection

I just injected a small shot into the top of my hand. I'm pretty sure I partially missed the shot cause a small bump appeared after. However, the area around the bump is almost completely numb and I'm worried I cause permanent damage. Has anyone ese expeienced this before? Did it get better?
Old 27-10-2011, 22:04
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

30 y/o Female from United States
SoulStealer is captain of the psychonauts.SoulStealer is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 246, Level: 2 Points: 246, Level: 2 Points: 246, Level: 2
Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4% Activity: 0.4%
Re: Hand is numb after injection

It is just a missed shot. Put a warm compress on it to help your body absorb the missed shot. This is normal. You will start to regain feeling and then it will probably swell up pretty bad and hurt alot. Then put ice on it to help with the swelling. Eventually it should start to go down.

If you can't feel your fingers at all, then you may have shot into an artery. If your fingers start to turn blue, go to the ER immediately. If after a few days the swelling is still their or a lump develops and is really warm to the touch, you may have developed an abcess. So keep an eye on it. Most likely it should just resolve on it's own though.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Good advice to seek med.attention if swelling stays. Harm reduction as is!
Old 27-10-2011, 22:28
Titanium Member

Female from United Kingdom
Aprof is captain of the psychonauts.Aprof is captain of the psychonauts.Aprof is captain of the psychonauts.

"then you may have shot into an artery."

No! Noooo! Nope!!

Just to set the record straight - I keep hearing this statement.

There is no 'maybe'. YOU'LL KNOW!!!

I thought I'd hit one a few times before... a bit of pain, bumps and pins and needles a few times...... until I actually DID.

There are pain receptors all along the artery wall and the blood flows into tissue (as opposed to veins flowing away from tissue returning the heart & lungs).

If you so much as nick an artery and get a tiny drop from the rig into the blood flow, it feels like your blood has been replaced with molten lava and you'd rather cut your limb off than suffer the excruciating internal pain.

It's like pin & needles, multiplied by fire, INSIDE your body. All the pain you've ever felt prior to that moment was external, the first time you feel an internal pain of this magnitude, utter panic sets in, you have no idea how long it will last, what damage you've done, where to run or what to do! You may literally just start running round the room without direction!

Oh, then, the area that the blood flowed into swells up and the skin stretches tight enough to cause more pain.

excellent point! there's no wondering when you've actually hit an artery!!
Old 27-10-2011, 22:51
Titanium Member

Male from Earth
Dark Mage is on the way upDark Mage is on the way upDark Mage is on the way up
Points: 487, Level: 3 Points: 487, Level: 3 Points: 487, Level: 3

Users need to be real careful when injecting into there hands, my "friend" lost her pinky finger because she wasn't careful (and over used the area), got ganggrene and had to wait two months until it turned black (and died) before they would surgically remove it and she was only 24.

She then stopped injecting into her hands, which its been almost a year and her hands are still constantly swollen, very red and hurt and it doesn't seem like it's going to heal anytime soon, if ever.

Users need to realize just how important there hands are and that once there damaged, its extremely noticeable and could possibly be very debilitating (especially later on in life). SWIM prefers to use larger limbs with more surface area, like the legs.

spot on harm reduction advice
Great, real life experience is always the best kind of info one can offer. Brilliantly descriptive and so accurate.

Last edited by Dark Mage; 28-10-2011 at 13:54.
Old 27-10-2011, 23:30

36 y/o Male from United States
Believf is learning how to become a psychonaut.

Also, try to use new rigs always, it's alot harder to miss with new ones. My friends hand and arm were so swollen before he couldn't make a fist for 2 days, and the pain, wow, like shooting up boiling oil, then rolled in broken glass, fun times. Stick to stickin in easy places, like the arms. If you don't want to be found out, then maybe shootin ain't the way to go. People WILL eventually notice, regardless where you shoot. Just some advice before shooting is the only way, if that's not the case already.

Could you please explain why it's easier to miss a shot with a used needle?
Old 28-10-2011, 07:35

26 y/o Male from Canada
rofl227 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 40, Level: 1 Points: 40, Level: 1 Points: 40, Level: 1

yea when I first started shooting I always used the arms. I think I may have overused them because these days I cannot hit a vein at all on the arms. Theres no bruises or aything so I think the veins are still good but I just CANNOT hit them anymore. I dunno what it is. On my hand I always seem to have success first or second try. O yeah, BTW, the numbness is gone and its just a little swollen where I missed the shot, everythings good. I was just a little nervous at the time because I'd never goten numbness before and I though I destoyed a nerve or sumthing. I'd like to try the legs but I don't know where to try on them and whenever I suggest it on these forums everyone tells me not to shoot up in the legs.
Old 28-10-2011, 17:55

SoulStealer is captain of the psychonauts.SoulStealer is captain of the psychonauts.

Yea, more "advanced" users will know when/if you hit an artery. Absolutely. And they will know how to avoid hitting an artery. You would think a newbie would know too, but they don't. I have seen it in the ER many times. People new to injecting easily confuse (yea I know, wtf?!) arteries and veins. Easily confuse the feeling of "injecting into an artery" to "missing a shot." They have nothing to compare it to, so they don't know. Even when documenting their "explanations" of what happened, it is hard to decide which one it is until you look at the presenting evidence. I know I would "know" the difference, and most users who know what they are doing will. But it is not a gaurantee, so I am just putting it out there for newbies or people incompetent in this area.

This post really doesn't offer any info or help for the OP. Maybe you could explain further exactly what you meant.
Old 01-11-2011, 00:38
Titanium Member

Female from United Kingdom
Aprof is captain of the psychonauts.Aprof is captain of the psychonauts.Aprof is captain of the psychonauts.

"Could you please explain why it's easier to miss a shot with a used needle?"

Perhaps 'miss' was the wrong word in this context, more like 'pierce'. The blunter the pin, the harder it is to draw up, inject, cleanly enter veins and puncture the skin. You can get bruises from additional damage and leaks..

This photo has been posted here before, but I recommend seeing it and taking note of what you're seeing!

http://www.geekfill.com/wp-content/u...0/11/xK5g6.png

You also tend to dig around more if you think you've definitely found a vein but there is no register.

"
Theres no bruises or aything so I think the veins are still good but I just CANNOT hit them anymore."

Although the veins may look functional, scar tissue and collapses can inhibit the flow, so the blood flow may be greatly reduced. Sometimes veins recover and come back, other times the blood pressure causes new routes to form.

"...most users who know what they are doing will. But it is not a guarantee"

You would think so. But desperation, arteries close to veins (or even underneath) can be hit accidentally, or if a sharp goes right through a vein and too deep can all cause potential arterial hits. For example, SWIM found a perfect vein on the left hand wrist, then, believing the body to be symetrical, attempted to 'guess' the position on the right - MISS!

Would have been nice to see the pictures in the post rather than the link. nonetheless, good work .

Last edited by Aprof; 01-11-2011 at 00:44.
Old 01-11-2011, 00:43
Silver Member

Male from France
Herbal Healer 019 really adds to the discussion.Herbal Healer 019 really adds to the discussion.Herbal Healer 019 really adds to the discussion.Herbal Healer 019 really adds to the discussion.Herbal Healer 019 really adds to the discussion.Herbal Healer 019 really adds to the discussion.
Points: 1,177, Level: 5 Points: 1,177, Level: 5 Points: 1,177, Level: 5
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

you may have hit a nerve ending when you missed which caused the numbness. It should heal.

Drink some herbal teas and vitamin rich foods and drinks so that you don't get an abcess. < increased immune systems prevent bacteriological infections and many herbs are anti-septic in nature

food supplements have nothing to do with abscesses. they come from infections with bacteria

Last edited by Herbal Healer 019; 02-11-2011 at 02:25.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:48

(Re: Reputation on my previous post)
I was referring to Aprof's post about how "you will know if you hit an artery." For advanced users, this is true. I was simply just stating that new users don't always know they have hit an artery and often wait until it is too late to seek medical attention. I have seen this more times than I could count in the ER, with terrible outcomes, because they had no idea they hit an artery. Just wanted to put it out there so new users are aware and I was just trying to help with some harm reduction and education. It relates to the OP because he may be a new user, or someone searching this thread may stumble apon this and be a new user with a similar problem and what I said could help them.

Share this on:

Tags
analgesic, diacetylmorphine, diamorphine, drugs forum, heroin, hit an artery, injecting, opioid, swelling at injection site