Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Cannabis
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Cannabis Use, cultivation & production of Marijuana, Hashish, Ice-o-lator & Hemp.

Old 16-10-2011, 18:22
Silver Member

Male from United States
BlackSkullRacer is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 184, Level: 2 Points: 184, Level: 2 Points: 184, Level: 2
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%
Is cannabis a stimulant, a depressant, a hallucinogen or none of these?

When I was in drug-education classes, as anti-drug as they were and how much they lied about drugs, they said that cannabis is in a class in its own.

This makes sense because it doesn't fit clearly into any category based on what I've heard about the effects.

Stimulant: I have heard that cannabis increases heart rate, but I have also heard that this is because the material is being smoked and that the blood vessels are dilated. I have seen people intoxicated on cannabis, and they are not hyper like kids are after having too much caffeine, so it can't be a stimulant.

Depressant: Cannabis is a muscle relaxant, so it seems more like a depressant than a stimulant. However, cannabis does not have the risk of slowing breathing down, like alcohol does, as nobody has ever died of a cannabis overdose, so it can't be a true depressant.

Hallucinogen: I have heard people tell me that they have had crazy daydreams on cannabis because of their increased creativity and how they find things funny. However, they have also told me that they can always "snap out of it." One of my friends tried salvia once and said that he literally thought he was in another world and couldn't snap out of it. As such, cannabis can't be a true hallucinogen.
Old 16-10-2011, 18:27
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

22 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Reuq is a decent psychonaut.Reuq is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 151, Level: 2 Points: 151, Level: 2 Points: 151, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Is cannabis a stimulant, a depressant, a hallucinogen or none of these?

I think that it can effect people indifferent ways, maybe this is down to changes in strain... personal reactions... whatever you want to call it. This makes cannbis hard to place, because it can be many things.
Old 16-10-2011, 19:59
Palladium Member

24 y/o Male from United States
EscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline MedlineEscapeDummy must mainline Medline
Points: 3,452, Level: 8 Points: 3,452, Level: 8 Points: 3,452, Level: 8
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Cannabis is a mild psychedelic/hallucinogen more than anything else. I believe this is the general classification for the substance. Your reasoning for what makes a true hallucinogen is incorrect, also. Only salvia, DMT, ketamine, and a few other substances will truly take you to another world; only deleriants like datura and diphenhydramine (they are not psychedelics) will actually give you true hallucinations. The dummy has done LSD and mushrooms many times, and while you can't just "snap out of it" always, you don't think you're in another world. Yet, they are true hallucinogens. And the deleriants, despite producing real/true hallucinations, are not hallucinogens, at least how the term is classically defined.

Cannabis exhibits both stimulant and depressant properties, sativa tending towards the stimulant side and indica more of the depressant side. I'd say cannabis is more of a stimulant, as heart rates can increase significantly, and cannabis provides a lot of mental stimulation. However, it acts as an analgesic and relaxes muscle tone, both depressant qualities. Interesting substance, but again I'd say cannabis is more a (mild) psychedelic/hallucinogen than anything else.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Good corrections on the labeling of cannabis
Old 16-10-2011, 20:55
Banned

92 y/o Male from United States
Tony Williams is on the way upTony Williams is on the way upTony Williams is on the way up

I would say they were right. It's sort of it's own thing/or all. Maybe just call it an intoxicant?
Old 27-10-2011, 03:56

Male from United States
Endless Summer is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

SWIM would definitely class it as a mild hallucinogen though it is so much more than that. A mixture of several categories SWIM guesses. SWIM definitely uses it for its hallucinogenic and psychedelic qualities and not for its "stimulating" or "depressing" qualities.

Share this on:

Tags
alcohol, analgesic, cannabinoids, cannabis, cannabis effects, cannabis effects comparison, hallucinogen, hallucinogenic, hash, hasj, marijuana, pot, psychedelic, salvia, salvia divinorum, sedative, skunk, stimulant, tetrahydrocannabinol, thc, weed