Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Amphetamine > Adderall
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 11-09-2011, 18:42
researcher

22 y/o Male from United States
Dashneo is an unknown quantity at this point
Do you self medicate adderall for social anxiety?

Does anyone use Adderall for their social anxiety? Because I understand that it makes people very talkative and social. Also, what dose do you take? Is it the best medication you have used short term for social anxiety? And anything else you have to add (like personal experiences :P)

My guinea pig has used it solely for social anxiety for the past 2 months and he has used it for homework and speeches before that. He is not prescribed it because he doesn't have ADD or ADHD. He doesn't take it every day because the talkativeness and euphoria go away with regular usage. He personally takes 25 milligrams xr 1-4 times per month. In all his time using adderall he has never taken it more than 5 times per month to avoid addiction and tolerance. He uses them on the days when he wakes up feeling really good or if there is a social event (party, first day of the school year, etc) going on that day.

His experience:
Today he took an addie and was lucky enough to run into a girl he had a major crush on for literally 4 years now...let's just say she isn't single anymore :P he also got to know a someone new and he even got to be the life of the party in a multiple (5) person conversation. It was awesome.

So please share if swiy has used adderall for social anxiety and how well it worked for swiy.

Last edited by Dashneo; 11-09-2011 at 18:53.
Old 14-09-2011, 13:43

Female from United States
ittybitty56 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Does swiy self medicate adderall for social anxiety?

Swim is prescribed 40mg daily Adderall for her ADD, along with 40mg of Paxil for social anxiety and finds that the Adderall does help with the social anxiety. It sort of "distracts" her from the crazy thoughts that run through her busy little head and allows her to focus on the important stuff in her life.
One would think that uppers/amph's would exacerbate social anxiety problems (or any anxiety problems for that matter), but for swim, it is quite the opposite.
Old 14-09-2011, 14:27
Gold Member

Female from USA - Massachusetts
kailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 11,132, Level: 15 Points: 11,132, Level: 15 Points: 11,132, Level: 15
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Dashneo, have you ever tried blood pressure meds (clonidine, propanolol, etc) or benzodiazepines for the social anxiety? I'm just curious how they would stack up against the amphetamine...

I have also found stimulants to be helpful with certain forms of social anxiety, but on the other hand, I don't have much "social anxiety" so much as "generalized anxiety".

~Kailey
Old 14-09-2011, 16:11
researcher

I don't have very bad social anxiety but it's definitely there. I have talked to my doctor but he just said "go see a psychiatrist" and my parents can't afford that (neither can I lol). So I've never been able to try anything that is meant for social anxiety. My guinea pig says that it's hit or miss with stimulants. Sometimes they work and sometimes be feels way too speedy to act normal. He really wants to try benzos (both recreationally and for social anxiety) but they are hard to find where he lives.
I have used caffeine and it works pretty well most of the time. The only thing that makes me not like caffeine is how it makes me have to eat food multiple times during the day because of the increased stomach acid. I don't eat I get way too jittery and I can't think as well because the hunger is so distracting.
Old 19-09-2011, 22:49
Silver Member

Male from United States
chrischerokee is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 68, Level: 1 Points: 68, Level: 1 Points: 68, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Odd, SWIM finds the experience quite different. If anything, the adderall makes SWIM have social anxiety because the nerves get very jumpy. SWIMs prescription is for ADD, and ADD alone. The remedy SWIM tried was 5 mg of Valium, which is a benzo, and in that experience found that it has no effect on social axiety and made him feel drowsy. The other solution tried was Maryjuana, which had moderate effects, but didn't seem to alleviate social anxiety completely, and then a drowsy feeling also sets in.

Personally SWIM thinks SWIY will have similar effects as described above, especially since Adderall will be the main focus. However, the Adderall does make the ability to focus significantly better.

And SWIM will second Kailey Elise, propanolol has been a hot topic lately regarding social anxiety. And personally SWIM thinks this is one of the best things for it. Never taken personally, but all of the read experiences have been more than good.
Old 20-09-2011, 18:15
Potter Potter is nu online
Platinum Member & Advisor

34 y/o Female from United States
Potter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond reputePotter is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 19,289, Level: 20 Points: 19,289, Level: 20 Points: 19,289, Level: 20
Activity: 59.0% Activity: 59.0% Activity: 59.0%

While I don't deal with anxiety, I have always felt that stimulants would be far more beneficial to sufferers then benzos. I have a few friends who use benzos and when thy do, they get nearly impossible to follow, ridiculously slow, stilted, speech, appearing to be quite intoxicated. Takes them so long to finish a thought that no one remembers what they are talking about in the first place.

I never understood the idea of sedating someone who was uncomfortable talking to others, when a stimulant is going to give them the ego, drive, self-importance to drive forward regardless of nervousness.
Old 20-09-2011, 20:53
researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potter View Post
Takes them so long to finish a thought that no one remembers what they are talking about in the first place.
My guinea pig would agree with you on this but stimulants sometimes make him unable to talk like a sober person. he can't speak well because his thoughts are going through his head way too fast for him to say them all out loud. So he talks fast and that isn't necessarily good if you want to be able to listen to the other person too. Also he notices that it feels really fricken good to talk when he's on adderall. That's either good or bad depending on the situation.

Last edited by Dashneo; 20-09-2011 at 21:01.
Old 21-09-2011, 19:39

22 y/o Male from Canada
stemstep is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1 Points: 11, Level: 1

My dog is prescribed 30mg Adderal l daily for her ADHD and finds that she is less talkative then ever before now. At first she felt great on it, friendly and talkative. Now its been a while, and she feels the very opposite effect. Ignores people, and keeps to herself mostly now. Also, when speaking in a conversation she quickly stops, and goes serious face. :<
If my dog takes more, would she feel good and social again, or should she give up on Adderall altogether?
(Related Thread hijack!)
Old 21-09-2011, 21:56
researcher

well you can try increasing the dose first to see if that gives better effects before giving up adderall. Taking more is what people who have a tolerance do and it works for them. If your dog has ADHD or ADD then it doesn't work as well recreationally to begin with, so maybe she needs a larger dose than normal to feel the recreational effects again.
Oh and if your dog can take a break from it try that too.
one thing my guinea pig notices is that sometimes the adderall makes him go inside his mind and just think instead of being aware and talkative. Once he gets stuck in his head it's hard to start being aware again. But that usually happens when he takes a lot more adderall than he usually does and starts reading stuff on his phone or something like that.
Old 22-09-2011, 03:16
Silver Member

25 y/o Male from United States
Impure157 is on the way upImpure157 is on the way upImpure157 is on the way up
Points: 323, Level: 2 Points: 323, Level: 2 Points: 323, Level: 2
Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9%

To put it very simply. Yes.
Old 22-09-2011, 03:24
Titanium Member

Male from United States
DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.
Points: 1,254, Level: 5 Points: 1,254, Level: 5 Points: 1,254, Level: 5
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%

Really depends on the person because some people stimulants actually make their anxieties worse.

Though this probably is more towards the physical stimulator(s) such as caffeine.
Old 24-09-2011, 09:32

22 y/o Female from United States
Squeak! is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 29, Level: 1 Points: 29, Level: 1 Points: 29, Level: 1
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%
Re: Do you self medicate adderall for social anxiety?

SWIM finds adderall to be a perfect way to self medicate for social anxiety. She is painfully shy but once she does adderall she can open up and talk with no worries. This has become a potential danger for her seeing as she likes the way she can be a part of her friend circle more since she isn't scared to be herself. She started off taking 30mg of Adderall IR and has now grown a tolerance that changes depending on how often she does it. She doesn't have much access to it anymore.

She loves adderall but also feels like it is/could be a huge issue in her life seeing as she finds the social aspect of it to be very appealing. After the adderall wears off she goes through terrible come downs but even though this happens she continues to do them in hope of being happy.
Old 26-09-2011, 03:22

29 y/o Male from United States
gousfbulls should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.

My friend used to use it in high school for that. The problem is, before he started using it, he thought he was just "shy". But after experiencing adderall high's he always longed for that feeling. It was his first encounter with "life enhancer" substances. The only problem is that, he's never stopped trying to feel "ok" since. So for the last 11 years he's gone through stretches of different substance abuse in order to feel "normal". 2 years adderall, 6 years alcohol, and 3 years oxycodone.

Just be careful linking the associations that you only got the girl because of adderall. It's the same way my buddy ended up in his current situation. If you would've had the balls to talk to her sober she probably would have given the same response. I don't mean that in an accusatory or disrespectful way. Just as a cautionary tail to reader's. "Life enhancers" can land you in a world of crap and usually it's too late when you realize it.
Old 26-09-2011, 08:59
researcher

Swim personally uses adderall once in a while to remind themselves of how ridiculous their fear of talking to people is. When swim uses adderall he is able to talk to people and he realizes that people like talking to him too. He can go up and talk to whoever he wants and he knows the worse that could happen is the person not wanting to talk to him. He doesn't *depend* on the drug to get him through social situations, he uses it to help him deal with his social anxiety.

You bring up a valid point though. Adderall isn't a good life enhancer but it can be a useful tool if used responsibly. Swim takes it 1-4 times per month so that he doesn't become addicted to it. I should have specified how swim was using it a little more.
Thanks for adding your thoughts, hopefully it will prevent someone from using adderall incorrectly and messing their life up.
Old 18-10-2011, 09:47

29 y/o Male from United States
gousfbulls should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashneo View Post
Swim personally uses adderall once in a while to remind themselves of how ridiculous their fear of talking to people is. When swim uses adderall he is able to talk to people and he realizes that people like talking to him too. He can go up and talk to whoever he wants and he knows the worse that could happen is the person not wanting to talk to him. He doesn't *depend* on the drug to get him through social situations, he uses it to help him deal with his social anxiety.

You bring up a valid point though. Adderall isn't a good life enhancer but it can be a useful tool if used responsibly. Swim takes it 1-4 times per month so that he doesn't become addicted to it. I should have specified how swim was using it a little more.
Thanks for adding your thoughts, hopefully it will prevent someone from using adderall incorrectly and messing their life up.
I hear ya. I know exactly what you mean. Didn't mean to go overboard on ya if I did, lol. It's just unfortunate that some of us weren't blessed with the right chemicals in our brain. Well, not necessarily "right", but an alternative configuration of them. It has it's pros and cons I suppose.
Old 18-10-2011, 10:42
Palladium Member

Female from USA - Washington
sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.sassyspy must live here.
Points: 1,697, Level: 6 Points: 1,697, Level: 6 Points: 1,697, Level: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashneo View Post
My guinea pig has used it solely for social anxiety for the past 2 months and he has used it for homework and speeches before that. He is not prescribed it because he doesn't have ADD or ADHD. He doesn't take it every day because the talkativeness and euphoria go away with regular usage. He personally takes 25 milligrams xr 1-4 times per month. In all his time using adderall he has never taken it more than 5 times per month to avoid addiction and tolerance. He uses them on the days when he wakes up feeling really good or if there is a social event (party, first day of the school year, etc) going on that day.
It sounds like you are aware of the potential risks and are prepared to avoid the pitfalls, that's a good thing. Try to practice when not using Adderall some of the skills you exhibit when you are, maybe? Just to teach yourself you don't need the chemical artificially.
Even though personally I believe some chemical imbalances in our brains deserve to be treated, that's a whole nother thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemstep View Post
My dog is prescribed 30mg Adderal l daily for her ADHD and finds that she is less talkative then ever before now. At first she felt great on it, friendly and talkative. Now its been a while, and she feels the very opposite effect. Ignores people, and keeps to herself mostly now. Also, when speaking in a conversation she quickly stops, and goes serious face. :<
If my dog takes more, would she feel good and social again, or should she give up on Adderall altogether?
(Related Thread hijack!)
There's a load of threads here on Drugs-Forum directly discussing tolerance to Adderall. Just use the search function and you'll be surprised how many more people have very similar experiences. In my experience, albeit not with Adderall but with other stimulants, when tolerance develops and/or one doses too much, the activity turns more inward, less social, In My Opinion, similar to that seen in many street meth users (such as me) ; ie, high use of videogames, cell phones, limited social interactions, certainly not like initial high levels of social behaviors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak! View Post
SWIM finds adderall to be a perfect way to self medicate for social anxiety. She is painfully shy but once she does adderall she can open up and talk with no worries. This has become a potential danger for her seeing as she likes the way she can be a part of her friend circle more since she isn't scared to be herself. She started off taking 30mg of Adderall IR and has now grown a tolerance that changes depending on how often she does it. She doesn't have much access to it anymore.

She loves adderall but also feels like it is/could be a huge issue in her life seeing as she finds the social aspect of it to be very appealing. After the adderall wears off she goes through terrible come downs but even though this happens she continues to do them in hope of being happy.
You so accurately recognize/admit the risks you are taking in your first paragraph
"This has become a potential danger for her seeing as she likes the way she can be a part of her friend circle more since she isn't scared to be herself."
Then your last statement comes along and knocks you right down.
"...she continues to do them in hope of being happy."
Please do a search of the forums and read the experiences of others who have been exactly where you are. I know it seems good now, but it is a short term solution to a long term issue, with the solution then becoming the problem itself.
Old 18-10-2011, 18:41
Silver Member

27 y/o Male from United States
fizzle is on the way upfizzle is on the way upfizzle is on the way up
Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1
Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6%

This is from a different thread on the same topic from a year ago...

Adderall XR
Great focus, lots of energy, mental and physical stimulation, lasts an hour or two longer than Dexedrine ER. However the levoamphetamine makes Adderall an inferior candidate for somone with both ADHD (inattentive type) and social anxiety due to the physical stimulation and anxiety it can cause.

Dexedrine ER
Excellent focus, lots of mental energy, and motivation is significantly increased. There is very little, if any, physical stimulation that is associated with Adderall which may exacerbate anxiety. It does not last quite as long as Adderall (which can be good or bad). It is very smooth and the comedown is not as bad as that of Adderall. It has this "clean" feeling to it whereas Adderall can feel somewhat "dirty." All in all, Swim feels like it is the superior candidate for someone who is plagued by these two psychiatric issues.

Read more: http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/sho...#ixzz1b9k7ufUD
Old 18-10-2011, 20:12
Gold Member

Female from USA - Massachusetts
kailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 11,132, Level: 15 Points: 11,132, Level: 15 Points: 11,132, Level: 15
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Fizz, got an opinion on Vyvanse (lisdexamphetamine) for someone with both social anxiety & ADHD? Considering it's dextro-amphetamine (like Dexedrine/Dexedrine Spansules/Dexedrine ER), and the only difference being it has to get to the intestines to cleave off that lysine (the "lis" in lisdexamphetamine) molecule, I'd suspect similar results as Dexedrine (ER?).

Any thoughts, though?
Old 19-10-2011, 00:53
Silver Member

27 y/o Male from United States
fizzle is on the way upfizzle is on the way upfizzle is on the way up
Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1
Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6% Activity: 0.6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailey_elise View Post
Fizz, got an opinion on Vyvanse (lisdexamphetamine) for someone with both social anxiety & ADHD? Considering it's dextro-amphetamine (like Dexedrine/Dexedrine Spansules/Dexedrine ER), and the only difference being it has to get to the intestines to cleave off that lysine (the "lis" in lisdexamphetamine) molecule, I'd suspect similar results as Dexedrine (ER?).

Any thoughts, though?
My dog actually switched from 45mg of dextroamphetamine ER to 70mg of Vyvanse daily for about 2 months earlier this year and found it to be similar in effects as you would expect. It lasts a solid 9 hours and takes maybe an hour or so to start feeling it. He wished their were an 80 or 90mg pill as he found the 70mg to be slightly lacking compared to 45mg ER.

However, my dog found that it was more difficult to get to sleep if taken too late in the morning. He found the inherent lack of flexibility of Vyvanse to be the main drawback. He had to take it before 10am everyday or else it would be hard to get to sleep when he wanted to. Thus he switched back to the ER so he can adjust his dosing times according to his needs. He is in grad school now so he has classes that can go until 9:30pm.

So while he originally switched to it because he wanted something that lasted longer, he found that the duration was actually a drawback. This is something to keep in mind if you are thinking about switching. You need to keep a constant wake-sleep cycle or else it will throw everything off. That is tough to do in college/grad school. Hope that helps.

Share this on:

Tags
drugs, drugs forum