Register Tags

Notices

Old 02-09-2011, 03:02

Male from United States
theerdman is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 36, Level: 1 Points: 36, Level: 1 Points: 36, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
On Subutex.... have to do drug test... question regarding weed

Ok... after a year and a half on Hydrocodone, Larry made the choice to get off. Larry had an elderly doctor and he was prescribing him 180 Hydro ES (750) a month and even that wasn't enough. He went to a doctor and was asked what Larry used. He told him truthfully about the hydro and admitted smoking weed. The doctor did a drug test and confirmed that it was all Larry was on (along with the hydro). The doctor prescribed subutex and told Larry to quit the weed. Larry doesn't want to quit the weed, but knows he will be tested the next time he goes in for a refill. He doesn't want to be kicked out of the program. So....

If larry used synthetic urine (or someone a friends), he knows he will pass the test. However... could the doctor notice the last of subutex in the sample?

Could Larry crush up and put some subutex in the urine sample so it would show up?

Any thoughts, opinions and suggestions would be very much appreciated because Larry seems to be in a quandary.

Thanks...

Larry's nieghbor.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:17
Silver Member

Male from United States
coolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPAC
Points: 2,390, Level: 7 Points: 2,390, Level: 7 Points: 2,390, Level: 7
Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6%
Re: On Subutex.... have to do drug test... question regarding weed

neither of those would work. any sort of opiate maintenance program is going to test for the drug they are giving you, in your case subutex. so using synthetic urine would come up negative for all drugs, subutex included and they will know you are up to something.

when testing for drugs they do not test to see if there is cocaine, heroin, thc, subutex in the urine, they test for the metabolite of those drugs, i.e. the chemical that your liver produces after it breaks down the drug that was ingested. so putting a chunk of subutex is not going to make you pass.

your best bet is to find someone who has subutex in their system and that only and use their urine. im on a methadone program and did this last month and it worked like a charm, only i had to get piss with methadone in it.

if you have a friend who is clean, you could get them to take subutex for a few days in a row and then get their piss, or even just one day may work, im not an expert on that.

or you could tell them you are having trouble quitting weed, be honest, after all you are an addict and it would not be farfetched that you had trouble quitting weed. or say its still in your system from using daily for so long.

either way neither idea would work.

how long till you have to take the test. if you have a little time to work with you might be able to figure something out.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:06

Male from United States

Hey... Larry thanks you for the info, lol. Testing will be this Monday, so I have a few days. Great suggestion, however I don't know ANYONE on Subutex, which is a problem. I could be honest... but eventually he is going to make me quit, lol. I can.. ug... but still. I wish I could hit craigslist and post "20 bucks for urine from someone on subutex and no other drugs". What could possibly go wrong, lol?

theerdman added 3 Minutes and 44 Seconds later...

Oops. I test MONDAY. Another question... can the urine test he gives me indicate how LONG it's been since I smoked weed? I could argue that it's still in my system, but if I smoke the day before the test, will it show up that I smoked 48s earlier?

Thank you again for the info....

theerdman added 0 Minutes and 27 Seconds later...

Crap. Not Monday. TUESDAY. Monday is a holiday.

Last edited by theerdman; 02-09-2011 at 04:06. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-09-2011, 04:15
Silver Member

Male from United States
coolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPACcoolhandluke must think in IUPAC

they could test the amount of weed in your system. that varies from doctor to doctor or clinic to clinic. either way if you want to stay on the soboxone you are going to have to quit smoking weed, their is no way around it. if i were you i would give a clean friend some money, tell them to take soboxone for 2 or 3 days in a row and then collect their urine. that would work for this test. or else play the "i cant stop smoking weed im addicted" card, to stay on the program and then quit. i quit after years of smoking and really it was not hard at all. i didn't want to but i had to in order to stay on the methadone. after a month i had no trouble with people blazing in front of me and just saying that i quit smoking.

you need to put your priorities in order. if you can handle getting off the opiates then do it, if you feel you wont relapse. im not sure what ur situation is, but i was using oxycodone and heroin from the street and that is different than being prescribed opiates. if you feel you can taper off the soboxone and wont get re addicted to opiates than dont give up the weed and keep smoking. just tell your doctor you want to keep smoking weed and start tapering off the soboxone. its your call.

Post Quality Evaluations:
Not a good idea to encourage clean friends to use suboxone
Old 02-09-2011, 04:56

Male from United States

Ok, thank you for your bluntness. I chose to get off the hydro. I told my doctor not to prescribe any more to me. I want to rid myself of them and am confident I won't relapse. I am pretty strong willed in that regard. I just love me my weed. I can stop smoking if it means success with the subutex. I smoked last night. I will abstain for the next five days until my test. I know it will show up, but you said they can test to see how *much* is in my system. When you say that, does it mean "we can tell you've smoked in the last 48 hours"? If not, I'll argue that it takes 30+ days to get out of my system. Does that make sense?
Old 02-09-2011, 16:28
Silver Member

32 y/o Male from United Kingdom
detoxking is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 142, Level: 1 Points: 142, Level: 1 Points: 142, Level: 1

Hi, you are right, weed does take 30 or so days to get out of your system. You could argue that you had a smoke before you started your subutex, but then it depends how long it will be before they test you again. I mean, if they ask you when you last smoked, you would need 30 days clean from the date you tell them. If it still shows up after that, you won't get away with it. As it stands, I don't believe that they can tell when you had a smoke from the actual sample. It will just show up and thats that. As for getting a friend to take subutex, well thats pretty risky business! If they were opiate naive, the consequences could be disasterous and that just wouldn't be worth it. And you run the risk of getting soemone else hooked. Oh and I don't know about your clinic, but at mine in the Uk, the sample has to be fresh and this is measured by its temperature. The pot has a little strip thermometer on the side. If I were you, just be honest this one time. I'm sure the doctor will be lenient with you. Afterall, you are using subutex to kick an addiction to opiates, and Cannabis is something altogether different.

detoxking added 7 Minutes and 0 Seconds later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhandluke View Post
they could test the amount of weed in your system. that varies from doctor to doctor or clinic to clinic. either way if you want to stay on the soboxone you are going to have to quit smoking weed, their is no way around it. if i were you i would give a clean friend some money, tell them to take soboxone for 2 or 3 days in a row and then collect their urine. that would work for this test. or else play the "i cant stop smoking weed im addicted" card, to stay on the program and then quit. i quit after years of smoking and really it was not hard at all. i didn't want to but i had to in order to stay on the methadone. after a month i had no trouble with people blazing in front of me and just saying that i quit smoking.

you need to put your priorities in order. if you can handle getting off the opiates then do it, if you feel you wont relapse. im not sure what ur situation is, but i was using oxycodone and heroin from the street and that is different than being prescribed opiates. if you feel you can taper off the soboxone and wont get re addicted to opiates than dont give up the weed and keep smoking. just tell your doctor you want to keep smoking weed and start tapering off the soboxone. its your call.
Not so sure its a good idea to get clean friends to start taking suboxone or subutex - thats playing with fire

absolutely correct! Advising a clean friend to take subutex is mad, bad and dangerous!!

Last edited by detoxking; 02-09-2011 at 16:28. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-09-2011, 23:39
Silver Member

Male from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by detoxking View Post
Not so sure its a good idea to get clean friends to start taking suboxone or subutex - thats playing with fire
this post was not about how to keep people off drugs it was about how to pass a piss test. the op is in a situation and im trying to brain storm on how he can get clean piss other than soboxone. if someone who uses no drugs were to take soboxone once or twice id doubt they would like it enough to keep doing it, it would probably make them feel shit a sick to tell the truth. if the dosage was right i dont see why it would be dangerous at all. really it was an idea to help the op's situation.

anyway i know what your saying, but the point of my post was to come up with idea to get clean piss with soboxone in it. there are numerous ways to make the sample body temperature. also they can tell how much you have smoked. there are urine tests where they measure the levels of the metabolites in your urine, so if your level from your second sample was higher than the first or close to the same, they would know you were smoking longer than before you started on the program. in my experience tests from hospitals usually do include the levels of the metabolite, but you doctor could be different.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:47
Silver Member

Yeh, I guess it depends whether the op is doing an instant test, like a multikit dip test, or whether it is being sent off to lab for analysis, in which case I suppose they could test for the levels of THC metabolites. But that sounds very expensive. In the UK most clinics just do a dip test there and then, it either shows positive, negative or tampered with. No levels of metabolites or anything complex. But maybe its different in the states. Everything seems much stricter and much more expensive over there, from what I have read. I guess we are lucky in the UK!
Old 04-09-2011, 11:19
Gold Member

Female from United Kingdom
catseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 6,085, Level: 11 Points: 6,085, Level: 11 Points: 6,085, Level: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhandluke View Post
this post was not about how to keep people off drugs it was about how to pass a piss test. the op is in a situation and im trying to brain storm on how he can get clean piss other than soboxone. if someone who uses no drugs were to take soboxone once or twice id doubt they would like it enough to keep doing it, it would probably make them feel shit a sick to tell the truth. if the dosage was right i dont see why it would be dangerous at all. really it was an idea to help the op's situation.
Hon, I know you wouldn't intentionally advise somebody who is opiate naive to take something as strong as buprenorphine just so a buddy could pass a urine test? That may not be the intention of the post, and the thread is about how to pass a piss test...but that idea really isn't good or safe on any level.

You're right - the friend would probably hate it and never want to do it again...but think of the other possibilities. Buprenorphine is incredibly kick-ass strong, as you know. Like methadone, even a small amount in somebody with no tolerance could get seriously hurt.
Like, die.
There is such a fine line between thereputic doses and over-dose with bupe...just a non-fatal OD would be horrible for somebody to experience, yeah? The splitting headaches, the severe nausea, the tremors, sweats, weakness...its nasty nasty nasty.
That's not worth any piss test in the world, now is it?

And another scenario - what if the friend didn't hate it? There are people who use bupe recreationally. Imagine the OP's horror if the friend ended up addicted...or dead.
Surely you see that even though the thread isn't about keeping people off of drugs, it also isn't about how potentially to really fuck an innocent person up?

I'm not trying to be harsh, I know your intentions were good - I just had to jump in and comment for any future readers of this thread who may not be sensible enough to see that your idea was a product of brainstorming

To the OP - my blunt advice is to make your choice. If you really fear getting kicked off the program due to cannabis smoking...well, you know what you have to do. Trust me, you stand to lose far more by being an opiate addict than you could possibly gain from smoking weed atm. Abstain, and argue that cannabis stays in your system for a long time. That should work this month. Next month? Its up to you

Well done for fessing up to the doc and doing something about it. Are you planning on quickly tapering off the subbies? If not, just be careful you aren't swapping one opiate for another ok? Bupe has a massive half-life and coming off it is no quick and easy jump for most.
Bupe addiction and wd's are no picnic, have a read through the bupe forum here and be informed, ok?
Stay safe and good luck!

Good warning to anyone who might be tempted to play with powerful opiates
Old 04-09-2011, 11:58
Silver Member

Yeh, that was the point I was trying to make. Not trying to knock coolhand in any way. I just know how easy it is to OD if your a non user, and like you said, how easy it is to get a taste for opiates and then....
My last partner was opiate naive and thought it would be a laugh to take a sip of my methadone while I was asleep. When I woke up he had been laid on the bed dead next to me for 3 hours...not looking for sympathy, I'm just saying that obviously alarm bells will always ring for me now. As for tapering off suboxone, I'm in the process of doing that too. The taper is not difficult, its knowing when to jump off at the end thats the difficult bit. But I'm sure any doctor with an ounce of sense will be ok with the OP using a bit of weed in the early days of his suboxone treatment. Its all for the greater good, and I would hope any doctor would rather have a patient smoke a bit of weed every now and again than to be kicked off suboxone and relapse back onto street narcotics. Thats my opinion anyway
Old 05-09-2011, 08:35

Male from United States

Thanks everyone for the advise. I have abstained from the weed and will tough it out as long as I need to. I was the one that called my doc and said stop prescribing me the hydro. I sought out the subutex doctor. I am the one that decided to make the change. I was tired of seeing my intake of hyrdo go from three a day to ten. I was tired of knowing that it was going to go up and up and up. I was tired of the elaborate stories to get early refills. The stupid stories, the look in my doctors eyes and the jokes by my friends "in the know" who said I ate vicodins like they were candy. I am two weeks off the hydro and I while I am suffering no withdraws thanks to the sub, I do think about the pills all the time. I walked away and didn't have too. That's why I wanted the weed... to cope. I guess that illustrates a bigger problem. I walked away from the hydro. I can do the same with the weed. A few weeks or months on subutex and after that... clean for good. I may even stop the weed for good. Thank you all for the advice... it's hard, but I have been editing videos as a way to keep busy.
Old 05-09-2011, 11:29
Gold Member

catseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum

Thanks for the update and I just sincerely want to congratulate you on taking account of what's going on in your life and recognising that there might be some underlying things that need addressing.
You've got motivation, determination and an understanding of the fact that quitting is the easy part - it's the staying clean that takes work

Yes, it IS hard...everything worth doing usually is.
Keep posting, keep talking...that's a great way for you to not only make it through the challenges, but it also serves as a record into the past so you can read back over it one day and say "damn, look what I've achieved!"

Keep your chin up and be well.
Old 05-09-2011, 14:47
Silver Member

Well done for making the decision to get off hydro. You are now on suboxone, which is great for getting your life together coz you don't have to worry about cravings, scoring your fix and all the other shit. But as you know, one day you will probably have to come of suboxone too, and thats when the real battle begins. Being completley drug free, and dealing with the world on its own terms. Thats probably why you have been craving the weed, coz you feel so normal that its a bit scary. My best tip would be to use your time wisely while you are on your suboxone script. Get some counselling, and go to some support groups, maybe NA or group therapy. You will be amazed how therapeutic it is to sit in a room full of like minded addicts and hear their own stories. Because you then realize that you are not the only one who thinks and feels the way you do. You are not the only one who struggles with the world and all the shit that comes with it. And all of a sudden, you don't feel alone anymore. You begin to realize you are normal. You learn new ways of coping with all the shit that life throws at you, without having to resort to weed or other drugs to get through it. Listening to how other addicts have learned to cope and stayed clean is the best chance you have got to stay clean yourself. If you start doing this now, then by the time your ready to drop off the suboxone, you will have all the tools and the support and the self esteem you need to deal with life without the use of drugs - even weed! Just something to think about. Good luck my friend
Old 26-02-2012, 04:13

Male from United States
josh786 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1

Hey all, I see this is an old subject so I hope I can get some help from some of the guys that seem to know there stuff. This was mentioned above...

Could Larry crush up and put some subutex in the urine sample so it would show up?

What if someone did put some subutex in there urine test?

Also I took my full pill all the week before my test except on a fri, took a half sat & half sun. Didnt take any mon but was tested tues. Will my test be ok? All help on both questions will be appreciated. Thanks
Old 27-02-2012, 20:38

Male from United States

Anyone?
Old 27-02-2012, 23:29
Gold Member

hi there,
Crushing up Bupe and adding it to urine won't work afaik, as it is the metabolites that are actually measured - basically, the drug needs to pass through the body and be metabolised, and that is what is picked up on in the urine.

If somebody did attempt this, my best guess is that they would run the risk of getting called out on tampering with a test - depending on if the test was court-ordered, treatment linked, etc this could result in trouble for the person.
This is all assuming of course that the test was an expanded panel, not a standard 5-panel UA as Bupe won't show on that anyway.

As far as the time of last ingestion and whether it will still show - again, it will vary on metabolism, liver function, weight, etc etc etc...but skipping one day shouldn't prevent it from showing IMO, due to the extremely long half life of Bupe.

Hope that helped
Old 28-02-2012, 00:37

Male from United States

Thank u for your reply.
It was a tiny piece like a small fingernail size, not even a quarter size. It was a dr test sent off. I kinda freaked & read somewhere its out of your system in 37hrs, thats why i freaked. What will it show up as? I read up above it wouldnt show as anything.
Help from all is appreciated. Im worried
Old 28-02-2012, 01:12
Gold Member

Bupe has a half life of ~37 hours, which means that half the dose will be eliminated in that time...and another half of the remaining dose in another ~37 hrs, etc until it is gone completely. So this actually means it hangs around for quite a long time.

If the doctor sent it off for a standard 5 panel UA, bupe should not show up. It is only the extended test that specifically checks for buprenorphine metabolites - and that is what it will show up as, nothing else afaik.
I can't think of anything that would cause a false positive for bupe as it is quite specific.

5 panel tests used to be pretty much the norm as they are the cheapest, but I've heard that in the US particularly there has been an increase in the extended panel testing to check for prescription opiates that aren't morphine derivatives such as oxy/hydrocodone.

Unfortunately worrying won't solve anything hon - I know its easy to say, but you'll just have to wait and see what the results are and take it from there.
Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 28-02-2012, 02:04

Male from United States

Ok so your saying i should be fine with the sub showing up. What about the little piece that went in? Thats what im concerned about. I do break them in halfs & put the pieces under each side of my tongue. He knows i was running late that day. Thanks for your help so far.

josh786 added 34 Minutes and 20 Seconds later...

Im wondering/worried what that little piece of sub that went in the test will show up as anything, if so what or if it will show up at all?

Anyone with knowledge plz reply. Thanks.
(worried)

Last edited by josh786; 28-02-2012 at 02:04. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-03-2012, 16:04
Titanium Member

47 y/o Male from United States
brettjv probably knows what they are talking about.brettjv probably knows what they are talking about.brettjv probably knows what they are talking about.brettjv probably knows what they are talking about.brettjv probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 553, Level: 3 Points: 553, Level: 3 Points: 553, Level: 3

Wow, man. You should've asked us first. You had NOTHING to worry about AFA the Bupe showing up in your urine in the scenario you described. A 36 hour half-life means half is gone after 36 hrs, another half is gone (so a quarter remains) after another 36 hours ... it probably takes at LEAST two weeks for bupe to leave your system so completely that it won't show on a screen that tests for it, esp. if your taking a decent sized dose to start with (i.e 4mg or more/day).

Who knows what dropping that pill into your piss might do. It *may* be totally fine ... or you may get screwed.

Worst case ... find a new doctor. There's plenty of Sub docs out there nowadays. My Sub doc (he's in California, I've moved to another state) used to let me come in once a year, do phone appointments the other 11 months, gave me monthly scripts, obviously there was no drug testing of any kind, and he let me stay on Subutex instead of going on Suboxone the whole time. LOTS of doctors just care about the money ... and he is one of 'em.

So I know for a fact there's 'cool' doctors who won't put you through all this kinda BS. Unless this is a court-ordered kinda deal for you ... but I've never heard of courts demanding Sub maintenance, so that'd be odd.
Old 07-03-2012, 16:28

Male from United States

Thanks, that made me worry even more. I had no idea these sites existed. He is the last dr around willing to write subutex. Im already at the point of panic attacks thinkin of it. On a side note i havent recieved a bill 4 it yet & its been 2 weeks. Before it only took a few days, a week at most. Wonder what that means.

josh786 added 4 Minutes and 29 Seconds later...

Oh & they mentioned the test was about $100 but still no bill.

Last edited by josh786; 07-03-2012 at 16:28. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-03-2012, 18:00
Gold Member

So when is your next appointment, or do you usually call them to schedule it, etc?

I probably wouldn't take the lack of a bill as anything other than an admin delay or cock up...regardless of results, they're gonna bill you so try not to read anything into that one.

Honestly, I have no idea what the outcome will be...the test will be looking for the bupe metabolites in the urine (which should be there due to its long half life)...but whether the presence of the added unmetabolised bupe will show or not is beyond me

I'll see if any of the other members who know much more about this stuff can peek in on the thread and add anything.
Old 07-03-2012, 18:18

Male from United States

Its on the 21st. Ive looked around at other sites & asked friends but some say itll be fine, some say they do it & some say theyll know. The sites dont mention if there same day tests or sent off. So im still completely clueless whats gonna happen. Any help would be appreciated. I hear sub w/d is long & horrible so i dont want that. I have 4 crushed discs & scoliosis so the subutex helps 4 pain.
Old 17-03-2012, 18:28

Male from United States

Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 19-03-2012, 16:46

45 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Hooverage is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1 Points: 8, Level: 1

Just bite the bullet.
A person at work took half a 2mg Subutex tablet to counteract monday morning comedown and was carried out of the building, he went to A&E and they sent him home to sleep it off. He slept for 3 days and returned to work on the Thursday. Person who gave him it lost his job and was lucky not to be prosecuted.
A close friend is dosed 8mg of Subutex maintained and smokes weed on top.
He is not tested for the weed and as he is not on treatment for weed addiction, He mentions weed to the clinic staff and they are not bothered.
He does however travel frequently and cannot take weed with him. He finds after day 3, he is much more calmer and can cope.
He does find 8mg of Subutex thereputic and feels relaxed and has a clear mind.
So I would say if they insist no weed, it's not too bad, as long as you are taking enough Subutex to take your mind off scoring.

please try to contribute to the thread instead of posting random experiences...this post makes no sense with regard to what the OP is even asking!

Share this on:

Tags
buprenorphine, cannabis, subutex, urine assay