Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Various drugs not covered by other forums > Antidepressants
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 23-08-2011, 22:42
Silver Member

24 y/o Male from United States
Nostalgic is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 193, Level: 2 Points: 193, Level: 2 Points: 193, Level: 2
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%
How do I taper off 20 mg Fluoxetine (Prozac)?

I have an appointment with my psychiatrist on the 29th, but school starts a couple of days later. I don't want to start tapering off then and having to experience withdrawal symptoms as I'm just starting school and seeing everyone again. I want to stop now or tomorrow. What is the best way to go about tapering off these things?
Old 23-08-2011, 22:50
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Female from Earth
Tillianne is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 195, Level: 2 Points: 195, Level: 2 Points: 195, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: How do I taper off 20 mg Fluoxetine (Prozac)?

I'm not sure, TBH. I have been on Fluoxetine a few times, and when I quit, I just stopped with no taper. I recently had to stop taking Fluoxetine because I was getting ready to start taking Tramadol, and they should not be taken at the same time due to serotonin syndrome. Again, I just stopped taking the Fluoxetine, and immediately started the Tramadol with no ill effects. This is just my experience, though. I hope someone can give you good advice.
Old 23-08-2011, 23:12
Straight out of Trumpton
Co-Moderator

50 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Mindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumMindless is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 7,647, Level: 12 Points: 7,647, Level: 12 Points: 7,647, Level: 12
Activity: 20.0% Activity: 20.0% Activity: 20.0%

SSRI discontinuation problems are less common with Fluoxetine, and generally less troublesome. You may well be able to cease use without any problems, especially as you are only taking 20mg. It's generally advisable to consult with your doctor when ceasing any medication, just in case there are any difficulties.
It may be prudent to hang on to your Fluoxetine if you do stop use before you see your psychiatrist. If there are any difficulties you would still be able to resume taking it.
Old 23-08-2011, 23:45

Female from Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindless View Post
It may be prudent to hang on to your Fluoxetine if you do stop use before you see your psychiatrist. If there are any difficulties you would still be able to resume taking it.

That's a great idea, I did that too, but forgot to mention it. I have a three month supply just sitting unused now.
Old 24-08-2011, 01:26
Silver Member

Yes I'll definitely hang on to it just in case. I'm gonna start tomorrow. Do you guys think opening up the pill and pouring out half to 10 mg and closing it or taking 1 full pill every other day is better?
Old 24-08-2011, 01:48
Titanium Member

Male from United States
DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.
Points: 1,254, Level: 5 Points: 1,254, Level: 5 Points: 1,254, Level: 5
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%

Prozac is sometimes used to withdrawal from Paxil because it has a longer half-life (4 to 6 days vs about 24 hours for Paxil).

Since the half-life is so long I think you should start by skipping the pill every other day, then skip and only take it every two days, then 3, then so on..I don't think cutting the dose and taking it every day is necessary.
Old 24-08-2011, 01:58

Female from Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
Yes I'll definitely hang on to it just in case. I'm gonna start tomorrow. Do you guys think opening up the pill and pouring out half to 10 mg and closing it or taking 1 full pill every other day is better?
I don't believe you could accurately get 10mg by pouring half out of a capsule and just eyeing it. I think it would be better to use your second option and take one full capsule every other day, and taper down from there.
Old 24-08-2011, 03:07
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabolicScheme View Post
Prozac is sometimes used to withdrawal from Paxil because it has a longer half-life (4 to 6 days vs about 24 hours for Paxil).

Since the half-life is so long I think you should start by skipping the pill every other day, then skip and only take it every two days, then 3, then so on..I don't think cutting the dose and taking it every day is necessary.
Ok I'll do that. Does 4-6 days mean it will be out of my system in 4-6 days? Because I've read it fully takes 45 days. I need to wikipedia this whole half-life thing.
Old 24-08-2011, 04:03

50 y/o Male from Earth
Wanderer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumWanderer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumWanderer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumWanderer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumWanderer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumWanderer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumWanderer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumWanderer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumWanderer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumWanderer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumWanderer is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 6,721, Level: 12 Points: 6,721, Level: 12 Points: 6,721, Level: 12
Activity: 7.3% Activity: 7.3% Activity: 7.3%

Sorry to cut in on this discussion, and the hamster doesn't mean to intrude. He really means well.

However, following medical advice contrary to the advice and guidance given to a critter by their medical professional that's been handed out by a bunch of forest creatures hanging out on an Internet forum is not the wisest thing for one to do. Granted there might be some health care critters here, but it's impossible to give a diagnosis for sure over the Internet like this. For all that's known this could be a bad thing for a critter to do. Then again, it might be fine.

The point is that health care advice, like stopping prescribed medications should not be recommended here. Also, Wikipedia is not the most accurate source of information on the planet, and this hamster wouldn't bet his health entirely on Wikipedia. One should really do this under the guidance of their health care professional. If a critter doesn't like the health care professional they are currently working with, they should seek another who can give them the guidance they feel works for them the best. Shop around for the best one can find for their situation, don't settle, choices can be made.

That being said, there's a lot of good information and most of the critters here are well meaning by nature. Obviously there was some reason antidepressants were prescribed, and even though there's probably nothing preventing the critter from ceasing their use, it's still something which should be monitored by a medical professional even if there are no adverse effects while doing so.

A critter is going to do what a critter is going to do anyway and it's been mentioned before to the OP on several posts, this is relatively low risk to just cease taking flouxetine. But, still there seems to be something troubling or causing anxiety that the critter keeps asking how long it takes to terminate fluoxetine treatment because they keep asking in this and other posts.

Mr. Hamster thinks that if there is this much concern and so many posts asking how to go about stopping fluoxetine treatment, then a medical professional should probably be consulted face-to-face.

That's just one hamster's opinion.

Be well...

Post Quality Evaluations:
Great advice that deserves a mention in such a thread.
Old 24-08-2011, 13:58
Titanium Member

Male from United States
DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.
Points: 1,254, Level: 5 Points: 1,254, Level: 5 Points: 1,254, Level: 5
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%

Quote:
Ok I'll do that. Does 4-6 days mean it will be out of my system in 4-6 days? Because I've read it fully takes 45 days. I need to wikipedia this whole half-life thing.
half life is based on probability not fact but it is a general guide for the point at which half of the substance has "decayed" (gone inactive). This is a very general guideline, there are many variables (kidney/liver function, enzyme function, metabolism, etc.) that come into play that no one can really predict when a drug wears off. One drug may wear off in 8 hours in one person but the next person it could wear off in 3 hours.

I feel I was a little overzealous in my suggestion to start skipping days, I have to agree wanderer it is probably best to see your practitioner to see what methods he recommends. Tablets are also available and perhaps you should look into getting these instead of the gel caps as you can cut your dosing down with relative consistency in comparison. There may even be liquid available. (Paxil/paroxetine has liquid dosing for the purpose of tapering slowly)
Old 01-09-2011, 00:25
Gold Finger

33 y/o Female from United States
chibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPACchibi curmudgeon must think in IUPAC
Points: 2,404, Level: 7 Points: 2,404, Level: 7 Points: 2,404, Level: 7
Activity: 5.1% Activity: 5.1% Activity: 5.1%

Quote:
Either one would work, if it's even necessary. If you're worried about withdrawal symptoms, you're free to use this method and it couldn't hurt, but if I wanted to stop my fluoxetine I'd probably wouldn't bother tapering.

Share this on:

Tags
antidepressants, doi, drug, fluoxetine, fluoxetine withdrawal, halflife, heroin, prozac, ssri, ssri discontinuation syndrome, ssri withdrawal, taper, tapering, things to do, tramadol with, weaning, weening off, wiki, withdrawal