Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Ethnobotanicals > Kratom
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Kratom Mitragyna speciosa

Old 17-08-2011, 03:58
Silver Member

26 y/o Female from Austria
dreamy is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 159, Level: 2 Points: 159, Level: 2 Points: 159, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Kratom once a week - ok?

Swim has first tried Kratom at the beginning of June this year and really loved it. Since then, she takes kratom once a week and is really looking forward to it every time.
Swim takes about 10g of Thai Kratom leaves (toss&wash) - mostly starts with 7g and then takes some more after 2 hours.

Up to now she basically kept it to once a week, even though she would love to take it more often. There was one exception, though, when she had to wait a week for results of a really important medical examination, which she was really scared of. That week she took it three times (one day in between without it) and the night before she was to get the result she took about 20g - she really needed something to calm her down.
However, she promised herself never to do that again and has kept that promise so far.

Swim would just like to know whether you think that taking kratom once a week is ok, or if she should try to take longer breaks in between. Swim thinks she has really found the perfect drug for her with kratom, but has also realized that there is a potential for addiction, as she is tempted to take it more often...

Swim would be grateful to hear your opinions!
Thanks!

Post Quality Evaluations:
Wise question: opiates are dangerous, so asking for advice on avoiding addiction to them is smart
Great idea to check in for advice here at DF before increasing dose.
Old 17-08-2011, 04:55
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

30 y/o Male from United Kingdom
TSBl0l is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Kratom once a week - ok?

There are many users on this forum that take it multiple times daily. There is the chance of addiction with any drug, yet from what I've heard Kratom's withdrawals are minimal compared to other drugs.

I used it once a day for a week straight until my tolerance forced me to up the dose high enough to feel good that I also got some nausea from it and the shakes, so it was quite counter productive. I took a 3 day break, and was fine again. I experienced no withdrawals even then.

Imo psychological addiction to kratom comes wayyy before physical addiction.

Once a week is an extremely minimal use of Kratom and is perfectly fine. Even two or 3 times a week would be fine, so long as you keep a day or two between em.

Thank you, good answer
Old 17-08-2011, 09:40
Titanium Member

Male from Canada
darkcharmer really adds to the discussion.darkcharmer really adds to the discussion.darkcharmer really adds to the discussion.darkcharmer really adds to the discussion.darkcharmer really adds to the discussion.darkcharmer really adds to the discussion.
Points: 922, Level: 4 Points: 922, Level: 4 Points: 922, Level: 4

From personal experience, I've found Kratom to be relatively safe addiction-wise if used no more than 3 times a week. However, using it this often generally leads to tolerance, and you will have to take more and more as time goes on to get the desired effects. Tolerance can supposedly be avoided by sticking to once a week.

If you're going to use it 2-3 times a week, you should keep a "substance log" - where you have a spreadsheet listing various substances (primarily kratom - but list all others) and dates, with doses written in the intersection between each date and substance to mark how much was used when, making it easy to keep track of use and watch for addictions, etc.. It's very easy to slip into constant or excessive use otherwise, and despite what some may tell you, kratom can be very addictive, and can be horrible to get off of (albeit not as bad as, say, oxycodone or heroin, although I have no experience with that, nor does my pet llama). I use kratom to treat my migraines, and there was a period in which they came daily during a particularly bad period, for 2 straight months. When the migraines stopped, so did the daily kratom. The result was 2 weeks of pure hell.

[Note: kratom is fully legal where I live, and I am thus not self-incriminating]

Good advice to the OP about keeping a substance log.
Thanks for the "substance log tip" - was really helpful
Logging substances is really a great idea for any kind of drug usage, thanks for suggesting!
Substance log is a great idea
Old 17-08-2011, 13:30
Titanium Member

Male from United States
Sam Spade is captain of the psychonauts.Sam Spade is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 283, Level: 2 Points: 283, Level: 2 Points: 283, Level: 2

In terms of physical tolerance and dependence not being an issue you can easily get away with taking it only once a week. However, from my experience there is a good risk of psychological addiction one must be aware of. You mentioned how much you look forward to taking it and you've already had a time when you broke your own rules and dosed more often than you thought you should have. This is a typical way physical addictions start. Not to say that looking forward to dosing is bad but one has to make sure they don't become obsessed with it. That psychological want to do kratom can be very strong and since kratom is generally viewed as safe in comparison to other drugs it's easier to convince oneself they can get by with dosing more and/or more often until it's out of control.

Of course, this is just cautionary. Kratom can definitely be used in a responsible manner and simply looking forward to using doesn't necessarily equate to psychological addiction. The previous poster mentioned keeping a substance log. This would indeed be a good way to keep track of your usage so you can tell if you're slipping into an addiction or not.

Good advice regarding preventing psychological addiction
Old 17-08-2011, 21:15
Titanium Member

Male from United States
DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.
Points: 1,249, Level: 5 Points: 1,249, Level: 5 Points: 1,249, Level: 5
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%

Well my personal story is I started with weekends only, this lasted about a year and it was great. Then I boosted it to 3 times a week (added Wednesday to the dose schedule), still worked great.

However, these last two months have gotten out of control and I've been taking it everyday for like the last month and at this point the withdrawals are just as bad as other opioids if not worse. (due to Kratoms stimulant effects the energy crash is harsh)

Now when I withdraw I get SEVERE leg pain (wasn't nearly as bad when I didn't use it everyday), runny nose, depression, and really poor energy.

Stick to your schedule and don't deviate then you will be fine. You'll keep Kratom's awesome effects and won't suffer much (if any) withdrawals when you go without. The only possible issue I could see is if you have a "addictive personality" where if it feels good you can't resist re-dosing over and over again.

Once a week is extremely safe with Kratom, so to answer your question yes.

Good advice, and interesting (but succinct) experience report
Old 17-08-2011, 22:31
Silver Member

Thank you all for your answers - really did a help lot!

The idea with the substance log is really good - I'll make sure I'll do that in future. Thanks for the tip!

I really don't want to develop a tolerance (also cause I don't want to spend too much money on kratom - I don't have so much...). Therefore I want to keep to my rule of only once a week.
I'm not sure whether I have an addictive personality, but I was really surprised how easily I broke my own rule (just 2 months after starting to take Kratom). I was quite sure I would never do that. I mean, it was an exceptional situation for me, but still...I just don't want that to happen too often, as I think it could lead to the exception becoming the rule...Maybe I'm worrying too much, but I really love the effects of kratom and especially when I'm not feeling that well (emotionally) I am tempted to take it more often...

Anyways, I will certainly keep that substance log and I hope I can continue taking it only once a week - cause its really, really great!

Thanks again for your answers!!!

[Kratom is also legal where I live, I just wasn't sure how strict this rule about self-incrimination is. I think I remember reading a discussion somewhere, where people said it's better not to use first-person in any case - cause the substance could be illegal elsewhere. Anyways, I think it's much easier saying 'I' and I hope that's ok with the forum's rules.]
Old 17-08-2011, 23:14
Palladium Member

43 y/o Male from England
Space Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumSpace Numpty is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 5,934, Level: 11 Points: 5,934, Level: 11 Points: 5,934, Level: 11
Activity: 6.9% Activity: 6.9% Activity: 6.9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamy View Post
[Kratom is also legal where I live, I just wasn't sure how strict this rule about self-incrimination is. I think I remember reading a discussion somewhere, where people said it's better not to use first-person in any case - cause the substance could be illegal elsewhere. Anyways, I think it's much easier saying 'I' and I hope that's ok with the forum's rules.]
The self incrimination rule no longer exists as far as using the first person when discussing drug use goes, although planning of illegal activity etc still remain against the rules. As regards the "Kratom is legal where i live" that is irrelevant as this is an international forum, not that that matters anymore. Of course people can still use creative writing when discussing personal drug use if they wish.

Always good to double check the rules in future though rather than taking a gamble.

And yes, once or twice a week is fine when it comes to Kratom use. Especially as your using plain leaf and not extracts
Old 18-08-2011, 11:40
Titanium Member

Male from Canada
darkcharmer really adds to the discussion.darkcharmer really adds to the discussion.darkcharmer really adds to the discussion.darkcharmer really adds to the discussion.darkcharmer really adds to the discussion.darkcharmer really adds to the discussion.
Points: 922, Level: 4 Points: 922, Level: 4 Points: 922, Level: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamy View Post
The idea with the substance log is really good - I'll make sure I'll do that in future. Thanks for the tip!

Anyways, I will certainly keep that substance log...
If you want a bit of a starting point for creating one of those, I've attached an image of my pet llama Mr. McTiddles' substance log to this post. It should give you an idea of what to do. Now, he logs a ton of information about not just substances but personal state, etc., but it can have as much or as little information as one wants. IE Mr McTiddles has expanded his quite a bit since starting his log.

I highly recommend it: it's proven invaluable to me, and it's really helped me out on a variety of occasions. For example, it taught me that my headaches are strongly associated with caffeine, and that I could eliminate about 30% of them by minimizing my caffeine intake. This was a successful strategy, and I now get fewer headaches.
Old 18-08-2011, 21:34
Silver Member

@Space Numpty: Thanks for the clarification!
@darkcharmer: Thank you very much for that link - very, very useful!!!
Old 25-09-2011, 19:54
Silver Member

38 y/o Male from United Kingdom
ZoltanBuchan is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 74, Level: 1 Points: 74, Level: 1 Points: 74, Level: 1
Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3% Activity: 0.3%

My unicorn has been using kratom (normally powder, occasioanlly leaf or extract) twice a week, 20-25 grams a session in general. He will occasioanlly 'binge' from Friday-Sunday night, and make his way through a 100g bag. If one of these all-weekenders occurs, the unicorn will eschew his mid-week kratom and wait until the next Sunday again before before brewing up some Thai leaf tea., thus ensuring a full weeklong break.

The result, after nearly 2 years, has been little or no increase in tolerance levels, and no reduction in feelings of euphoria. The only major change has been the unicorn is never sick anymore, when he was throwing-up perhaps one time in three times per session when starting out; this is, of, course a wholly positive change! A combination of holidays abroad, and my supplier running out of stock recently meant the unicorn went three weeks without any kratom, and experiened no w'd symptoms.

So, to (eventually!) answer the Original Poster's question, the unicorn's own experiences with kratom suggest that one dose per week is quite safe, addiction-wise.

Finally the unicorn would like to add that he has great difficulty sleeping after taking kratom. This initially annoyed him, as can only take kratom once during the week (with 1-2mgs of xanax to aid sleep) in order to avoid chronic insomnia.
However, the unicorn now regards this state of affairs as somewhat of a blessing, as he is not tempted to take kratom more regularly. He feels that had he been able to sleep and therefore function the next day, he may well have fallen into near daily use before long, and put himself at risk of the addicition that other people have mentioned up-thread.

Last edited by ZoltanBuchan; 25-09-2011 at 19:59.
Old 26-09-2011, 04:47
Silver Member

23 y/o Male from United States
eisenheim is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 255, Level: 2 Points: 255, Level: 2 Points: 255, Level: 2

SWIM hasn't had any problem with it, using multiple days in a row and coming off very easily. Right now SWIM has enough money for a dose but other priorities (gas, food, cigs, class supplies, whatever) so SWIM is like "fuck it", and doesn't waste his money.

Kratom isn't like heroin, i.e. it is a background substance, it's not just all in your face euphoria that can replace everything else in your life.

Share this on:

Tags
addict, binge, dependence, drugs-forum, kratom, kratom addiction, kratom dependence, kratom tolerance, tolerance, using kratom, withdrawals