Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Opiates & Opioids > Methadone
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Old 16-08-2011, 23:44

Male from USA - New Jersey
maroon55 should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Methadone metabolism & potentiate

So I've read this case study showing that grapefruit juice is supposed to help you get more out of your methadone.

I'm interested in learning about anything else that might help you get the most out of your methadone. (longest lasting, highest & longest peak)
Effects of caffeine, smoking, carbonated soft drinks, exercise, sweating, vitamins of any sort.....anything at all.

I read one other article that said a man came into the ER overdosing, and after he came through, after 3 days without his dose, the doctors learned that he had been on that same dose of methadone for awhile, and the one thing he had done differently, was quit smoking a couple of days earlier.

Here's the article:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21666091
Old 19-08-2011, 03:04
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

33 y/o Male from United States
Spoonbender420 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1 Points: 70, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Methadone metabolism & potentiate

Sorry to lazy and busy to read the article but by the sound of it i'd say its bull i've never in my life heard of any thing like that

Grape fruit can help the duration but thats about it i forgot about methadone but with some opiates it really only hurts the high because its the metabolites from the opiate that produce the majority of the effects what grape fruit does is counter act some of the liver ensymes that break down different drugs

Really the only thing you can do is take other drugs like benzos (be very careful takeing those if you not experienced with either benzos or methadone lots of people kill them selfs with this combo) alcohol and benadryl is a popular OTC med to help boost your nod

Post Quality Evaluations:
incredibly dangerous advice to suggest mixing methadone with benzos or alcohol!
Astoundingly bad advice and possibly life threatening.
Great information that helps extend a high.
Old 06-11-2011, 14:11
Titanium Member

Male from United Kingdom
natey7 probably knows what they are talking about.natey7 probably knows what they are talking about.natey7 probably knows what they are talking about.natey7 probably knows what they are talking about.natey7 probably knows what they are talking about.
Points: 1,142, Level: 5 Points: 1,142, Level: 5 Points: 1,142, Level: 5
Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1%

Warning: Some of these herbs/supplements can interact with your Methadone negatively and can even cause ODs in some cases. Just because they are legal doesn't mean they are safe. Some can even act like a drug and effect the nervous system. Mixing Methadone with certain things can magnify the effect it has on the nervous system and can even slow down your breathing. If considering, try using less than the recomended dosage on the container, and use extreme caution.*

Milk Thistle is supposed to work on the same liver enzyme that Methadone does. It is said that Milk thistle can actualy slow down the breakdown of Methadone. I have heard of others saying that it makes it last longer and feel stronger. One person even reported using Milk thistle while weaning down to make it easier.

The amino acid DL-Phenylalanine is actually supposed to slow down the break down of your bodys endorphins. It can make a dose last longer and feel stronger as well. It is said that for endorphins, L-Phenylalanine works best when taken together with the amino acid L-Tyrosine.

Chamomile tea also can potentiate Methadone.

Swim used to drink a tea that contained Passion Flower, Chamomile, and Lemon Balm. It was originally used for anxiety, but the three herbs taken together seemed to make Swims Methadone seem a lot stronger, and last longer as well. Passion Flower is said to contain a mild MAOI though, so be careful what you eat/put into your body if using the Passion Flower. Here's a detailed list of what to avoid when using MAOIs: http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/maois/maois_info2.shtml

And here's a detailed list on Methadone interactions: http://www.medicalassistedtreatment....session*id*val*

Some people have a fast metabolism, which makes them get rid of their dose faster. In return, their Methadone sometimes doesn't last long enough. Some of these things can be pretty hepful in the long run when it comes to fast metabolisers.

Swim doesn't agree with using potentiators to try and get high off of the Methadone(it wasn't ment for that). But if using it because your dose isn't work right for you as it is, than Swim thinks this is a little different.

Swim has also found that having caffeine throughout his day messed with Swims dose. Since quitting caffeine all together, Swim has found that his dose has started to hold him better and lasts longer.

Some clinics and online sites sell a vitamin ment for Methadone patients called 'Vitadone'. It is supposed to help with the side-effects(sweating, etc). Swim doesn't have access to any Vitadone, but he takes a Multi-vitamin/mineral at the beginning of his day called 'Centrum Forte'. Centrum Forte contains about 70% of the same ingerdiants that the Vitadone does, and seems to help curb the side-effects as well.

Aside from raising your dose, some of these things can help if you have a fast metabolism.

Be safe.

Post Quality Evaluations:
well put, great advice and good links

Last edited by natey7; 04-03-2012 at 03:57.
Old 06-11-2011, 14:46
Gold Member

Female from United Kingdom
catseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 6,098, Level: 11 Points: 6,098, Level: 11 Points: 6,098, Level: 11
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonbender420 View Post
Sorry to lazy and busy to read the article but by the sound of it i'd say its bull i've never in my life heard of any thing like that
<snip>
Really the only thing you can do is take other drugs like benzos (be very careful takeing those if you not experienced with either benzos or methadone lots of people kill them selfs with this combo) alcohol and benadryl is a popular OTC med to help boost your nod
So basically you are discounting an article that you admittedly can't be bothered to read, yet you suggest instead that the OP try incredibly dangerous and potentially lethal combinations such as benzos or alcohol with his methadone??
Speechless, really.

OP, if you UTFSE there are several threads about boosting opioids in general...have a look and see what might be out there to answer your question safely.
Natey7 makes a very good point - some supplements can be dangerous and you should check potential interactions carefully before taking them.

One other thing to think about...what are you wanting to achieve?
Are you looking for something to potentate purely because your dose is not holding you long enough? If that's the case it may make more sense to speak with your worker/gp and adjust your dose
Be safe

Last edited by catseye; 06-11-2011 at 14:52.
Old 27-01-2012, 12:16
Mercury Member

35 y/o Male from United States
smegg needs to UTFSE some more before posting.

the safest way i know of to improve absorbtion is to take zantac as done is better absorbed in a low ph enviornment.
Old 27-01-2012, 13:18

37 y/o Male from United States
JoshChem is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1 Points: 17, Level: 1
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

I take two of the OTC generic Tagamets(cimetidine) to help my dose last longer. A doctor at a methadone clinic told me this slows down the elimination and breakdown of your 'done. I have been going to a private methadone clinic for quite a few years...about 10 years...I got off of it forcibly, cold turkey twice in the last 10 years. Once for a month, and once for 13 months but I always end up back at the clinic. It is a money trap and my clinic does not give a damn about rehabilitating anyone, they DO NOT want ANYONE to taper off bc then they lose around $3800 a year per patient. I know that cimetidine potentiates MANY drugs that use the CYP2D6 enzyme, and a couple of the Cytochrome P450 enzymes. I started taking clonazepam 1 mg three times a day for anxiety, and Remeron(mirtazapine)for depression. After about 6 mos of this I switched to Xanax and started taking 1 ten mg Valium(diazepam) at bedtime for insomnia/nightmares. My doc increased my Xanax to 4 mgs a day about 5 months ago. When I first went to this doc on the paper they ask if you are on any meds and I said no, well I had to take a drug test at my shrink's so I had to tell them that I was on methadone. The doc wasn't even there that day and they were drug-testing everyone and calling in the scripts. I had to worry for a month that she was going to cut me off, but she said I should have told her from the start, and not to lie to her again or I get the axe. I have been going to her for well over 2 years and she will not ever give me a refill. She always makes me come to her office every month and pay $100 even though I asked her if I could come every other month. Always be honest with your docs especially when you are dealing with opiates and benzos. I take 120 mgs of liquid a day but usually I just take a xanax when I need it 2-3 per day.

Share this on:

Tags
alcohol, amidone, analgesic, benzos, caffeine, dolophine, drugs, heptadon, maois, methadone maintenance treatment, methadose, milk thistle, mmt, opioid, passion flower, physeptone, symoron