Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > RECOVERY & ADDICTION > Drug Addiction & Recovery > Opiate addiction
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Opiate addiction Support for coping with Opiate addiction and Opiate addiction treatment.

Old 11-08-2011, 13:00
Silver Member

33 y/o Male from United Kingdom
mr bugaloo is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 88, Level: 1 Points: 88, Level: 1 Points: 88, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
How long will my methadone withdrawal last its bin 4 days so far

Hi i was on heroin for the last 4 years, aswell as taking 40 mil of methadone. In the last 4 and a half months, i decided to taper down. I got down to 4 mil 2 weeks ago, then i dropped to 2 mil for a week. Then stopped it completely on sunday at 1 oclock in the afternoon. Its thursday today, 1 oclock as i write this. Its bin 96 hours. I have not bin to bad, just have major cold in my bones mainly my arms. I havent bin the toilet yet, 1 thing i need to do, as i have bin constipated for about 2 years. Will i eventually go the toilet, and will the constipation go. Also how many days now will i have these bone chills,. I have took a multi vitamin today, for the first time, and i have been drinking fresh orange. I jave tried drinking loads of water, but its makes me wee every 5 minutes. And makes the cold chills worst. Can anyone help me
Old 11-08-2011, 13:53
Gold Member

Female from United Kingdom
catseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 6,085, Level: 11 Points: 6,085, Level: 11 Points: 6,085, Level: 11
Re: How long will my methadone withdrawal last its bin 4 days so far

Hello and welcome to DF. First off, I want to say well done for all you have achieved so far, it's bloody hard work and you are doing great

It sounds like maybe you tapered a little bit quickly at the end, but you've jumped off at a nice low dose, so that was a really smart move. Methadone stores in the tissue reserves of your body, ie liver and other organs, so it takes quite a while to work its way out - unlike heroin. So it sounds to me like you are hitting the worst of it about now (alot of people say days 4-6 are particularly rough), and it will slowly improve from here on in. This is a great place you have come to for information, and posting your updates are a helpful way to chart your progress and find an ear to listen when you need to vent

It's so hard to say "how long" it will take, but I really want to say that you have come so far and to encourage you to hang in there - you'll find lots of support here for you, and plenty of others who have been through methadone wd's will jump in soon to lend advice and support I'm sure

You have the right ideas, stay hydrated as much as possible - taking the multivit is a great idea, and drinking fresh orange/eating bananas to help increase potassium stores for the restless muscles helps a bit for some...exercise as and when you can (even a gentle stroll will help a bit)...all the advice that you probably have heard a million times over
Regarding the constipation...what goes in must come out, lol, and yes you will be ok and the constipation will go. If you can get some fibre into you like bran flakes, etc that can might be helpful (depending on your appetite of course!)...

Do you have support and people around you in real life that can keep your spirits up and help you get a plan together once you are clean? That can be so important in preventing relapse, ok? Be sure to keep us updated as and when you can, and don't be shy to lean on those of us here - we are rooting for you!! If there is anything I can do to help, feel free to PM me.
Take care x

Post Quality Evaluations:
Encouraging and thoughtful post.
Old 11-08-2011, 14:00
Silver Member

Thank you ever so much for your reply, it means alot. Yes i have got family around me who are very supportive. I have ditched my mates who are still on drugs, and am looking forward to the future
Old 11-08-2011, 14:33
Gold Member

catseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumcatseye is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bugaloo View Post
Thank you ever so much for your reply, it means alot. Yes i have got family around me who are very supportive. I have ditched my mates who are still on drugs, and am looking forward to the future
Excellent - you are a lucky fellow indeed to have supportive family around you...that can go a long way to making all the difference! It's good to know you've ditched the mates who are still using, that can be a harsh thing to do but it's for the best - you have to take care of you, and limiting temptation is so important.
Keep your chin up and hang in there!
Old 12-08-2011, 08:45
Silver Member

Hi me again. I keep getting the chills, real bad,and bone chills. When i drink water it makes it worse. In the last 4 hours, i cant stop weeing, when i drink water five minutes later, i am weeing. Is this the methadone coming out of me. Also how can i stop the chills, i would like to go out take a walk, to exercise myself, but the chills are bad. Thank you

mr bugaloo added 971 Minutes and 15 Seconds later...

Day five today, got some dioreaha last night, and was really bad. Went to bed though and had 7 hours sleep. Woke up this morning and had diarohea again, not 2 bad. But got the cold chills still, in my head, and the tops of my arms. Its bin 120 hours. When will these cold symptoms go

Last edited by mr bugaloo; 12-08-2011 at 08:45. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-08-2011, 09:47
Gold Member

Hi there, wow - 7 hr sleep! You are the envy of everyone going through wd's That is great! Loperamide will help with the diarrhoea - as directed time-wise, but you can double the dose. The chills are harder to control, without an external source of opiates your body is repairing itself which just takes time.

Can you get your doc to script you a short course of Clonidine? It is normally used to treat high blood pressure but it inhibits the sympathetic responses and decreases sweating/chills/anxiety/restlessness..that's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head...that, and time.
It probably isn't helpful to state the obvious, but it will take as long as it takes Hang in there, the worst will be over soon!
Old 12-08-2011, 09:54
Silver Member

Thank you for your kind words, you are realling helping me, you are a star. And a credit to everyone on here.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:49
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

28 y/o Female from United Kingdom
southern girl really knows their shit.southern girl really knows their shit.southern girl really knows their shit.southern girl really knows their shit.southern girl really knows their shit.southern girl really knows their shit.southern girl really knows their shit.southern girl really knows their shit.southern girl really knows their shit.
Points: 1,921, Level: 6 Points: 1,921, Level: 6 Points: 1,921, Level: 6

Hi there. I just wanted to stop and show some support. As catseye said, 7hrs sleep is awesome! You are definitely lucky in that aspect. Another that can help with the chills, sweating, and some of the aching is pregablin (AKA-Lyrica). It is a prescription only medication but doesnt have much abuse potential so I dont see why a Dr wouldnt prescribe it for you. There are quite a few threads here regarding pregablin/Lyrica for opiate/opioid withdrawals, you should be able to find them by using the forum search engine, but here is one thread below. And from personal experience, pregablin is *essential* when in withdrawals. For my friend, it made 80%-90% of the symptoms dissipate.

http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/sho...ghlight=lyrica

Your determination oozes from your post. You seem to really want to be done with opiates and that kind of "want" is really needed to succeed and Im certain you will.

Well done for getting this far and keep going and keep being strong. You have support here whenever you need it and just because we dont all post doesnt mean we arent watching/reading and rooting for you because we *are* here.

Awesome job kid and keep on fighting that fight...

SG.xxx

Encouraging post with good advice.

Last edited by southern girl; 12-08-2011 at 10:52. Reason: adding link
Old 13-08-2011, 09:38
Silver Member

Hi on my six day today. Had 5hours sleep, but woke up, thinking i would be alright, but the cold chills are back in my head and arms. I really wanted to go out today, but doesnt look like i can. My last does was last sunday 2mil at 1 oclock. Its saturday today, At 1 oclock it will be 148 hours since that. Can i class that as six days. Bit confused
Old 13-08-2011, 10:02
Gold Member

hey there, and good morning You can classify it as day 6 if you'd like...hell, at this point you can call it whatever you want hon! Hang in there, and as southern girl says, the determination is oozing from your posts, so keep it up - even if you can't yet see the light at the end of the tunnel it will shine soon
you are doing fabulous sleep-wise, and that will go such a long way to help you feel better. That really is awesome!
Old 13-08-2011, 13:01
Silver Member

Male from Denmark
bindegal is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1

Methadone can take very long to get out of the body, much of longer than heroin. You have not use it for long and it sounds like you have stepped down sensibly. Methadone long half life is both a blessing and a curse. One need only take it once a day to stay healthy but it also means that it is very long to get out of the body. Last time I tried to get out of it after 5 years of use, it took several months before I began to sleep normally and not sweat so my sheets were all wet.
But it sounds like things are going really well for you and you start to get some sleep, sleep is a really good sign. Remember to get something to some properly to eat and a try to drink a lot, I know your appetite is not always there but give your body something to work with. Try to hang out with people so you are not alone with your thoughts and time passes quickly if you are with others, but avoid talking about drugs.
Good luck I will check up on your. Good or bad

helpful and supportive post - well done!
Old 14-08-2011, 09:17
Silver Member

Hi its seven days today, i had my last dose at 1oclock last sunday, its sunday today, so at 1 oclock today its bin, 168 hours. But this morning the chills are worst than ever, cant make it out. Yesterday, went out for first time, but had to come back cause was aching and really tired. Today am alot worst. Shouldn't these cold chills be subsiding by now.When i got of the methadone the first time, i was on 50 mil for 3 years, tapered down to five in 10months. When i did my withdrawal then, i was nohing at all like i am now. I hardly had any symptoms,. But this 1 is really bad.
Old 14-08-2011, 10:03
Gold Member

aww, those chills are really doing you in it sounds Remember that every wd will be different even for the same person, so try not to get down about it being different this time, ok?
It doesn't seem fair because if it were the same every time you'd be able to know exactly what to expect and how long it will last - this way it keeps you guessing!!

Did you maybe overdo it a bit yesterday when you went out? If your energy is low it seems to creep up and bite you in the bum the next day by reminding you that your body is feeling miserable at the moment. Are you still taking the multivits? As bindegal mentions, try as best you can to get some calories in and stay hydrated...liquid nutrition drinks if you can...fresh juice, water, those hydrating sports drinks with electrolytes are all good (stay away from caffeine!).

Have you thought about trying the over-the-counter loperamide or possibly seeing your GP for a lofexidine script if possible? Both seem to come recommended as far as helping with chills/sweats.
Also, I'm sure you have already done so, but have a browse through the recovery section here - I'm pretty sure there are threads on withdrawal suggestions and also a couple really helpful methadone wd journals that might give you some ideas
Recovery - Opiate Addiction

Hang in there
Old 14-08-2011, 10:50
Silver Member

When you mentioned caffenine, i have bin drinking loads of coffee, what does that do to you, does it make you worse. Also i have got red bull here, will that do more harm than good.
Old 14-08-2011, 14:44
Gold Member

hmm...lots of people find that caffeine magnifies the anxiety and jitters/restless muscles of withdrawal, so drinking loads of coffee might cause discomfort. It's also a diuretic so it can make you wee quite a bit more!
I'd say that Red Bull would do the same thing as it is really high in caffeine.
Old 14-08-2011, 15:11
Banned

57 y/o Male from Togo
salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.
Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1 Points: 20, Level: 1
Activity: 17.7% Activity: 17.7% Activity: 17.7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bugaloo View Post
Hi i was on heroin for the last 4 years, aswell as taking 40 mil of methadone. In the last 4 and a half months, i decided to taper down. I got down to 4 mil 2 weeks ago, then i dropped to 2 mil for a week. Then stopped it completely on sunday at 1 oclock in the afternoon. Its thursday today, 1 oclock as i write this. Its bin 96 hours. I have not bin to bad, just have major cold in my bones mainly my arms. I havent bin the toilet yet, 1 thing i need to do, as i have bin constipated for about 2 years. Will i eventually go the toilet, and will the constipation go. Also how many days now will i have these bone chills,. I have took a multi vitamin today, for the first time, and i have been drinking fresh orange. I jave tried drinking loads of water, but its makes me wee every 5 minutes. And makes the cold chills worst. Can anyone help me
Being on methadone off and on six times, the least was four months and the most was 4 years.

Unfortunately, it will be perhaps 11-30 days at 40mg. It is not as intense as heroin, but it lingers, and lingers.

Drink warm water. That will prevent the chills when you drink it. It sounds strange drinking warm water, but it will prevent chills from drinking cold water.

Because methadone is a great medication for bone pain, when people W/D from it, they have rebound pain in their bones. Everytime I detoxed I got some protein or weight gainer powder, full of amino acids, because I couldn't eat or sleep. The amino acids are the building blocks of Endorphins and Enkephalins (your natural opiate system in the body). L-Phenylalanine is an amino acid that helps restore natural levels of your bodies natural opiates. You are lucky you are detoxing from 40mg. I, unfortunately, detoxed at 140mg (due to politics at the clinic) and went crazy for 2-3 months. 40mgs will be much easier to detox from.

From my experience 40mg took me, anywhere from 11-20 days. Eat good if you can, if not, do the shake thing. The heroin will be out in 5 days give or take some days, depending on how much you were ingesting.

Plenty of hot showers, eat good, stay active (don't lay around) hard work seems to help get that crap out of you.

If you could have the doctor prescribe some Lomotil, for diarrhea but it won't phase your bowel movements, it will help with W/D's. Lomotil is a Schedule V substance and helped me greatly. Not Immodium. But if you get a raw bum, I'd take some Immodium. Phenergan helps with nausea. It's just a waiting game. Everyone is different, hopefully you will succeed, and get off for good. A few Suboxone (5) cut up in 1/4's will help since you already are in W/D's. The Suboxone will help strip the methadone receptors from the brain, and the detox will be shorter. Just don't get hooked on Suboxone.

Wish you the best, and a quick recovery.

salgoud

Good post, good advice.
excellent, helpful and relevant advice. Thanks for sharing personal experiences and being so supportive to the OP
helpful & supportive post full of great information!
Very useful information

Last edited by salgoud; 14-08-2011 at 15:21.
Old 14-08-2011, 18:34
Silver Member

Thanks m8, means alot, . But when u say 11-20. is that how long the symptoms will last, like the chills and that. I have been sleeping, smoking skunk at night, and have bin using a hot water bottle. I stopped the heroin 4 months ago. Then i tapered down from 40 mil for 4 months, so the heroin should of bin out four months ago. I was smoking about a ten bag 5 days a week for four years. Am on day seven now 153 hours, yesterday was fine, but all day and night today, have had the chills non stop. I have not had leg cramps, or anything else only the chills, and being tired. Thanks for your advice and kind words,
Old 15-08-2011, 03:05
Banned

57 y/o Male from Togo
salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.salgoud must live here.

The chills and sneezing might last a longer time. Opiates when stopped, release loads of histamines, causing these symptoms.

It's not a bad idea to take a good anti-histamine like Zyrtec, hell even diphenhydramine might work (but will cause drowsiness).

Methadone lingers, like I said, so after 20-30 days you should be OK. I know, I lengthened it, because chills, sneezing and runny noses are inconvenient, but they will stop, eventually.

It is hard to put an exact amount of days it takes. Everyone is different, and you are right, the heroin is out of your system. And only being on Methadone for 4 months and tapering from 40mg, will not linger too long.

It's a pain in the ass. But you will be back to normal very soon. If you can sleep, that is a very good sign and eat.

Best of luck, if you are just having chills and feel tired, which is normal when detoxing (takes a lot out of a person). I think a non-drowsy anti-histamine might work for the chills.

I'm glad you decided to break the habit, and get somewhat clean, at least off opiates. If you have a bike, ride at least four miles a day, physical activity help greatly to become normal again.

salgoud
Old 15-08-2011, 10:30
Silver Member

Hi, just looking for a anti histamine now at my local chemist. Will try anything to stop these chills. Day 8 today, had six hours sleep, woke up fine, then half an hour later, cold chills really bad again. How many should i take, and will it be safe, even though there for hay fever, cheers
Old 15-08-2011, 11:47
Gold Member

Hi, it's fine to take them as directed...hay fever is just the common name for a histamine reaction to pollen. It's treating the same thing, so no worries. I'd personally start at the recommended dose (most are 1-a-day now), and if needed, try taking another after a few hrs. I've done that for my hay fever without any problems but I personally wouldn't take more than 2x the dose as it makes me jittery...so maybe start at the dose and slowly increase if you need to?
Let us know if it helps
You're doing really well aside from the chills!!
Old 15-08-2011, 15:18
Silver Member

Will any antihistamine work, i have found some in my chemist, called multi action actified. Its says on the box, Triprolidine.
Pseudoephedrine.

UNBLOCKS SINUSES.
DRIES RUNNY NOSES.
UNBLOCKS STUFFY NOSES.
CLEARS CATARRH.

USES.
Multi-Action Actifed Tablets contain a decongestant to relieve nasal congestion as well as blocked sinuses and catarrh. They also contain an ingredient which works in two ways: an antihistamine action to relieve the symptoms of allergies, such as sneezing and a drying action to relieve other symptoms of colds, flu and hayfever such as runny noses and watery eyes
Old 16-08-2011, 01:44
Banned

57 y/o Male from Togo

Yea, it should. It has pseudoephedrine in it to open up your nose and the triprolidine is the antihistamine.

My personal preference would be just the antihistamine, and not the PE, but try it, after what you've been up to, it shouldn't hurt you at all.

Good luck with the chills, if that's all you got now. Blankets really don't work good, cause then you sweat, take them off, then get the chills. They chills will go away soon, trust me, I've been through this many, many times.

salgoud
Old 16-08-2011, 12:50
Silver Member

Hi i had a bash at the antihistamine, they seemed to bring the chills on more. But i cant complain, i am sleeping and eating loads. 9 days today, am just feeling really tired, went out for a bit, but had to come bk, cause was so tired. Chills are still there today, but hopefully not to many more days now. Thanks for your support, means alot,
Old 16-08-2011, 12:57
Silver Member

lillianni is captain of the psychonauts.lillianni is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 29, Level: 1 Points: 29, Level: 1 Points: 29, Level: 1

Hi there and well done so far. Just to add my two pence worth, keep taking the antihistamines as prescribed and make sure you are drinking plenty of fluid, preferably water. Shouldn't be too much longer before the worst will be over.

A word of caution, don't be temped to replace one addiction with another, I know too many alcoholics who are ex drug users.
Old 16-08-2011, 13:36
Silver Member

These last 3 days, have bin hell, so do u think im coming to the end of it nearly. Can only get worse before it gets better. These 3 days, have bin the worst all the way through it

mr bugaloo added 35 Minutes and 22 Seconds later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillianni View Post
Hi there and well done so far. Just to add my two pence worth, keep taking the antihistamines as prescribed and make sure you are drinking plenty of fluid, preferably water. Shouldn't be too much longer before the worst will be over.

A word of caution, don't be temped to replace one addiction with another, I know too many alcoholics who are ex drug users.
Is it ok to drink luzoczde body fuel, to perk me up its got b12 in it. Also how more days, would u say now, must be at the worst. Have u bin through it.

Last edited by mr bugaloo; 16-08-2011 at 13:36. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Share this on:

Tags
addiction, alcohol, amino acid, amino acids, antihistamin, antihistamine, caffeine, coffee, detox, diphenhydramine, drug, drug addiction, drugs, drugs forum, guarana, half life, heroin, histamine, immodium, journal, lomotil, loperamide, lyrica, methadone wd, mind altering substances, natural opiate, opiate, opiate addiction, opiates, paracetamol, promethazine, pseudoephedrine, recovery from addiction, runny nose, sleep aid, sleep aids, stimulant, stimulants, suboxone, up all night, wine, withdrawal symptoms, withdrawals